Michael L Kankiewicz

Default Corned beef cut?

Whenever I fix corned beef I buy one of those packaged briskets. But I've
noticed some that are corned beef round. Does anyone know exactly what
cut they are? And do you cook them the same? Do they come out different?

Thanks,
MK

Sheldon

Michael L Kankiewicz wrote:
> Whenever I fix corned beef I buy one of those packaged briskets. But

I've
> noticed some that are corned beef round. Does anyone know exactly

what
> cut they are? And do you cook them the same? Do they come out

different?

Corned beef denotes a process, not any particular cut. Any cut can be
corned but typically brisket and round are used. They're cooked
exactly alike but their texture is somewhat different... brisket is
fattier and is more succulent... and there are diffrent cuts of brisket
too. Round is lean and kinda dry.

limey

"Sheldon" wrote in message

> Michael L Kankiewicz wrote:
>> Whenever I fix corned beef I buy one of those packaged briskets. But

> I've
>> noticed some that are corned beef round. Does anyone know exactly

> what
>> cut they are? And do you cook them the same? Do they come out

> different?
>
> Corned beef denotes a process, not any particular cut. Any cut can be
> corned but typically brisket and round are used. They're cooked
> exactly alike but their texture is somewhat different... brisket is
> fattier and is more succulent... and there are diffrent cuts of brisket
> too. Round is lean and kinda dry.

Sheldon, I always buy "flat cut", but the markets here have been advertising
"point cut". Which is better?

Dora

Sheldon

limey wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote in message
> >
> > Michael L Kankiewicz wrote:
> >> Whenever I fix corned beef I buy one of those packaged briskets.

But
> > I've
> >> noticed some that are corned beef round. Does anyone know exactly

> > what
> >> cut they are? And do you cook them the same? Do they come out

> > different?
> >
> > Corned beef denotes a process, not any particular cut. Any cut can

be
> > corned but typically brisket and round are used. They're cooked
> > exactly alike but their texture is somewhat different... brisket is
> > fattier and is more succulent... and there are diffrent cuts of

brisket
> > too. Round is lean and kinda dry.

> Sheldon, I always buy "flat cut", but the markets here have been

advertising
> "point cut". Which is better?
>
> Dora

They're both good. Point is fattier. Flat is leaner, and even though
it costs more per pound I think it's the better buy because there's a
lot less waste... and is much easier to carve and makes a more
attractive presentation. Flat is also easier to cook, it's less bulky,
fits better in a pot. Of course the flat cut is fatty too, so don't
get too suprised when you see it's not really lean, only comparatively
lean... the point cut contains perhaps 2-3 times as much fat. When I
go to the trouble of cooking corned beef I make 3-4 flat cuts
(14-18lbs)... about 2/3 is lost weight... if I end up with 5lbs of lean
edible meat I'm lucky... barely enough for 5 healthy servings and a
decent pan of hash.

Bob

Sheldon wrote:

> Corned beef denotes a process, not any particular cut. Any cut can be
> corned but typically brisket and round are used. They're cooked
> exactly alike but their texture is somewhat different... brisket is
> fattier and is more succulent... and there are diffrent cuts of brisket
> too. Round is lean and kinda dry.

Some years ago, Cook's Illustrated ran an article about corning your own
beef. One thing they mentioned was that when they corned a chuck roast, it
came out meltingly tender. Has anybody here ever tried that?

Bob

Michael L Kankiewicz

On 14 Mar 2005, Sheldon wrote:

> Michael L Kankiewicz wrote:
> > Whenever I fix corned beef I buy one of those packaged briskets. But

> I've
> > noticed some that are corned beef round. Does anyone know exactly

> what
> > cut they are? And do you cook them the same? Do they come out

> different?
>
> Corned beef denotes a process, not any particular cut. Any cut can be
> corned but typically brisket and round are used. They're cooked
> exactly alike but their texture is somewhat different... brisket is
> fattier and is more succulent... and there are diffrent cuts of brisket
> too. Round is lean and kinda dry.

Thanks Sheldon, I know that. Brisket is from the front, round is the
hind. What I'm wondering is if the prepackaged corned beef round is top
round or bottom round. Looks more like a piece of bottom round.

Here's something funny. I stopped in a little supermarket to ask at the
meat counter. The guy told me that the corned beef round packages
are just the round part of the brisket. I just smiled and said thank you.

MK

Bob

Michael wrote:

> Here's something funny. I stopped in a little supermarket to ask at the
> meat counter. The guy told me that the corned beef round packages
> are just the round part of the brisket. I just smiled and said thank you.

Yeah...and the shank is just the shank part of the brisket, and filet mignon
is from the tenderloin part of the brisket. Gelatin is made from the hoof
part of the brisket, you know...:-)

Bob

Phred

In article
Michael L Kankiewicz > wrote:
>On 14 Mar 2005, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> Michael L Kankiewicz wrote:
>> > Whenever I fix corned beef I buy one of those packaged briskets. But I've
>> > noticed some that are corned beef round. Does anyone know exactly what
>> > cut they are? And do you cook them the same? Do they come out different?

>> Corned beef denotes a process, not any particular cut. Any cut can be
>> corned but typically brisket and round are used. They're cooked
>> exactly alike but their texture is somewhat different... brisket is
>> fattier and is more succulent... and there are diffrent cuts of brisket
>> too. Round is lean and kinda dry.

>Thanks Sheldon, I know that. Brisket is from the front, round is the
>hind. What I'm wondering is if the prepackaged corned beef round is top
>round or bottom round. Looks more like a piece of bottom round.
>
>Here's something funny. I stopped in a little supermarket to ask at the
>meat counter. The guy told me that the corned beef round packages
>are just the round part of the brisket. I just smiled and said thank you.

Here in Oz there are typically two ways corned brisket is presented
for sale: (1) a more or less flat slab of meat; and (2) a rolled
product. The latter used to be held together with a couple of wooden
skewers driven though the roll at right angles with pairs of these
spaced along the roll. The modern way is to stitch the thing together
with string.

But the big question is: Do you Yanks still have those old-fashioned
corned beef (or tongue or ...) presses available for sale? Mine was
aluminium and sprung a leak a couple of decades back, and I've never
been able to replace it. :-( Modern kitchenware shops here don't even
know the things once existed! (I think mine broke down before most of
these counter-jumpers were born!)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Corned Beef Brooklyn1 General Cooking 39 14-03-2016 08:56 AM
Corned Beef Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 73 23-11-2013 08:45 PM
Corned beef again Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 1 13-03-2011 02:29 AM
Corned beef again Doug Freyburger Preserving 1 08-03-2010 11:57 PM
Corned Beef vs Salt Beef (naval beef) Peter General Cooking 46 31-07-2006 04:03 PM