Jeanne Ketterer

Default Frozen chicken tenders/frozen chicken breasts

I saw packages of froz chicken tenders and breasts today at the grocers. Flipped the tenders package over and the directions said to remove from bag, place in oven, etc. Question: shouldn't these be defrosted first?

I'm looking for fast, easy healthy meals and have been wanting to try the tenders. Anyone have experience with the frozen and willing to share some tips?

Thanks!

Jeanne
aem

Jeanne Ketterer wrote:
> I saw packages of froz chicken tenders and breasts today at the
> grocers. Flipped the tenders package over and the directions said
> to remove from bag, place in oven, etc. Question: shouldn't
> these be defrosted first? [snip]

What they now call "tenders" are just the narrow strip at the edge of
each chicken breast half. I think Julia Child used to call them the
"fillet" of the breast. They are part of the breast but often peel
away from the rest of it. So the packagers peel 'em off and package
them separately. At a premium price, of course, even though there is
nothing to distinguish them from the breast. I wouldn't think
defrosting was important, simply because they are so thin and small.

-aem

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 10 Mar 2005 10:12:33p, aem wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Jeanne Ketterer wrote:
>> I saw packages of froz chicken tenders and breasts today at the
>> grocers. Flipped the tenders package over and the directions said
>> to remove from bag, place in oven, etc. Question: shouldn't
>> these be defrosted first? [snip]
>>

> What they now call "tenders" are just the narrow strip at the edge of
> each chicken breast half. I think Julia Child used to call them the
> "fillet" of the breast. They are part of the breast but often peel
> away from the rest of it. So the packagers peel 'em off and package
> them separately. At a premium price, of course, even though there is
> nothing to distinguish them from the breast. I wouldn't think
> defrosting was important, simply because they are so thin and small.
>
> -aem

The fillet or "tender" is distinguished from the rest of the breast because
it is more tender than the major section.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Jeanne Ketterer

"Dog3" >

>>> What they now call "tenders" are just the narrow strip at the edge of
>>> each chicken breast half. I think Julia Child used to call them the
>>> "fillet" of the breast. They are part of the breast but often peel
>>> away from the rest of it. So the packagers peel 'em off and package
>>> them separately. At a premium price, of course, even though there is
>>> nothing to distinguish them from the breast. I wouldn't think
>>> defrosting was important, simply because they are so thin and small.
>>>
>>> -aem

>> The fillet or "tender" is distinguished from the rest of the breast
>> because it is more tender than the major section.
>>

> I buy the tenders fresh (I guess they're fresh) and drizzle them with
> olive
> oil. Then I sear them with the spices/herbs of choice. Breast meat is
> different. I usually pound it to tenderize and cook in one fashion or
> another. Both are very different, or at least to me.
>
> Michael

Okay, thanks everyone for your input! I've used the freshly packaged (a
little tricky to remove the white gristle strip or whatever it's called),
but wanted to keep some handy in the freezer. I'll try a package and see.

Jeanne

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 11 Mar 2005 07:40:50a, Jeanne Ketterer wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Okay, thanks everyone for your input! I've used the freshly
> packaged (a little tricky to remove the white gristle strip or whatever
> it's called), but wanted to keep some handy in the freezer. I'll try a
> package and see.
>
> Jeanne

Can't remember where I learned this, but it works... Hold the chicken in one
hand and grasp the end of the tendon or "gristle strip" between the thumb and
index finger of the other hand using paper towel. If you hold tightly enough
to both pieces and pull in opposite directions, the tendon will strip away
from the chicken.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Jeanne Ketterer

"Wayne Boatwright" <>
> Can't remember where I learned this, but it works... Hold the chicken in
> one
> hand and grasp the end of the tendon or "gristle strip" between the thumb
> and
> index finger of the other hand using paper towel. If you hold tightly
> enough
> to both pieces and pull in opposite directions, the tendon will strip away
> from the chicken.
>
> HTH

I'll give it a try. thanks!

Jeanne

Stan Horwitz

In article >,
"Jeanne Ketterer" > wrote:

> I saw packages of froz chicken tenders and breasts today at the grocers.
> Flipped the tenders package over and the directions said to remove from bag,
> place in oven, etc. Question: shouldn't these be defrosted first?

Not if you just want to bake them. If you want to use them in something
such as a stir fry, thawing the chicken first makes sense.

> I'm looking for fast, easy healthy meals and have been wanting to try the
> tenders. Anyone have experience with the frozen and willing to share some
> tips?

I buy frozen chicken pieces once in a while. There's nothing special you
need to know with regard to cooking with them.
Jeanne Ketterer

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Jeanne Ketterer" > wrote:
>
>> I saw packages of froz chicken tenders and breasts today at the grocers.
>> Flipped the tenders package over and the directions said to remove from
>> bag,
>> place in oven, etc. Question: shouldn't these be defrosted first?

> Not if you just want to bake them. If you want to use them in something
> such as a stir fry, thawing the chicken first makes sense.

okay, thanks, Stan. I was looking more for a stir fry. I'll get a
package this week and try them out.

Jeanne

aem

Jeanne Ketterer wrote:
> [snip]
> okay, thanks, Stan. I was looking more for a stir fry. I'll
> get a package this week and try them out.

If it's a Chinese stirfry you probably will want to marinate the
chicken briefly, in wine or wine and soy or wine, soy and salt and
cornstarch. So do that as the first thing in your meal prep and by the
time you're ready to cook they'll probably be defrosted. If not, pop
them marinade and all in the micro for a few seconds.

-aem

Witchy Way

<<Okay, thanks everyone for your input! I've used the freshly packaged
(a little tricky to remove the white gristle strip or whatever it's
called), but wanted to keep some handy in the freezer. I'll try a
package and see.
Jeanne>>

i'm so glad you mentioned removing that thing in the tender. my friends
act like i'm picky for doing that

"Life is a checkerboard,
and the player opposite you is time.
If you hesitate before moving,
or neglect to move promptly,
your men will be wiped off the board by time.
You are playing against a partner
who will not tolerate indecision!"
Anonymous