General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
jem
 
Posts: n/a
Default Help! Newly diagnosed with diabetes AND high cholesterol!

:-( Of course this makes me very unhappy. Fortunately I am being treated
with oral medication for now, so am not getting needle sticks every day.
I'm really going to have to change my lifestyle, which means my eating
habits and more exercise (and losing 30 pounds. I'm 6'2" and the doctor
wants me to get down to 200). Could people how have this email me some
of their favorite recipes? Fortunately/Unfortunately I like about
everything, savory, vegatables, pasta, starch and sweets. Favorite
recipes, meals, snack suggestions would really be appreciated. Feel free
to post here or email to me. Thanks.

James
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
TheAlligator
 
Posts: n/a
Default

jem > wrote:

>:-( Of course this makes me very unhappy. Fortunately I am being treated
>with oral medication for now, so am not getting needle sticks every day.
>I'm really going to have to change my lifestyle, which means my eating
>habits and more exercise (and losing 30 pounds. I'm 6'2" and the doctor
>wants me to get down to 200). Could people how have this email me some
>of their favorite recipes? Fortunately/Unfortunately I like about
>everything, savory, vegatables, pasta, starch and sweets. Favorite
>recipes, meals, snack suggestions would really be appreciated. Feel free
>to post here or email to me. Thanks.
>
>James

A very close friend of mine who was - lets' not say overweight, he
just had the 50 year old paunch going - suddenly came down with the
same problem. I know he LOVES everything that is bad for him, but he
drastically changed his diet, got much healthier, and has things
pretty much under control. He says he's pretty much used to things,
now. I never thought to ask him just exactly what he did as far as
diet. I went through a drastic diet change for different reasons, but
unfortunately mine is the exact opposite of what yours will be. He
moved away recently, but I'll try to hook up and see if he has any
advice for you. Oh, my mother-in-law is coming to visit tommorrow for
a couple of days, and she is diabetic. Maybe I'll have some info for
you quicker than I thought. Whatever, don't let it get you down - it's
common and you WILL find a lifestyle that you can get used to - I
swear.
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Wayne Boatwright
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat 05 Mar 2005 06:21:20p, jem wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>:-( Of course this makes me very unhappy. Fortunately I am being treated
> with oral medication for now, so am not getting needle sticks every day.
> I'm really going to have to change my lifestyle, which means my eating
> habits and more exercise (and losing 30 pounds. I'm 6'2" and the doctor
> wants me to get down to 200). Could people how have this email me some
> of their favorite recipes? Fortunately/Unfortunately I like about
> everything, savory, vegatables, pasta, starch and sweets. Favorite
> recipes, meals, snack suggestions would really be appreciated. Feel free
> to post here or email to me. Thanks.
>
> James


I have both diabetes and high blood pressure as well, and take oral
medications for both. I eat a pretty normal diet and range of foods, but try
to eat fewer carbohydrates and fats.

You might check out alt.food.diabetic. It's a good source for the
information you're seeking.

--
Wayne Boatwright
____________________________________________

Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
jem
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 05 Mar 2005 06:21:20p, jem wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>
>>:-( Of course this makes me very unhappy. Fortunately I am being treated
>>with oral medication for now, so am not getting needle sticks every day.
>>I'm really going to have to change my lifestyle, which means my eating
>>habits and more exercise (and losing 30 pounds. I'm 6'2" and the doctor
>>wants me to get down to 200). Could people how have this email me some
>>of their favorite recipes? Fortunately/Unfortunately I like about
>>everything, savory, vegatables, pasta, starch and sweets. Favorite
>>recipes, meals, snack suggestions would really be appreciated. Feel free
>>to post here or email to me. Thanks.
>>
>>James

>
>
> I have both diabetes and high blood pressure as well, and take oral
> medications for both. I eat a pretty normal diet and range of foods, but try
> to eat fewer carbohydrates and fats.
>
> You might check out alt.food.diabetic. It's a good source for the
> information you're seeking.
>

That's what I'm doing so far. Cutting portions down, no more sugar from
soda/tea/coffee. Cutting out most of the snacking and sweets. I did have
2 butter rum Lifesaver's for dessert. Yum. Thanks for the tip on a.f.d.
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
TheAlligator
 
Posts: n/a
Default

jem > wrote:
>That's what I'm doing so far. Cutting portions down, no more sugar from
>soda/tea/coffee. Cutting out most of the snacking and sweets. I did have
>2 butter rum Lifesaver's for dessert. Yum. Thanks for the tip on a.f.d.

My mother-in law is an old time down-home backwoods Arkansas cook who
raised a family of 8 with almost no income. Her cooking was mostly
based on lard, lots of filling starches and salt. If she could
change, anyone can. I'll get back to you tomorrow evening with
whatever I find out.


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
jem
 
Posts: n/a
Default

TheAlligator wrote:
> jem > wrote:
>
>
>>:-( Of course this makes me very unhappy. Fortunately I am being treated
>>with oral medication for now, so am not getting needle sticks every day.
>>I'm really going to have to change my lifestyle, which means my eating
>>habits and more exercise (and losing 30 pounds. I'm 6'2" and the doctor
>>wants me to get down to 200). Could people how have this email me some
>>of their favorite recipes? Fortunately/Unfortunately I like about
>>everything, savory, vegatables, pasta, starch and sweets. Favorite
>>recipes, meals, snack suggestions would really be appreciated. Feel free
>>to post here or email to me. Thanks.
>>
>>James

>
> A very close friend of mine who was - lets' not say overweight, he
> just had the 50 year old paunch going - suddenly came down with the
> same problem. I know he LOVES everything that is bad for him, but he
> drastically changed his diet, got much healthier, and has things
> pretty much under control. He says he's pretty much used to things,
> now. I never thought to ask him just exactly what he did as far as
> diet. I went through a drastic diet change for different reasons, but
> unfortunately mine is the exact opposite of what yours will be. He
> moved away recently, but I'll try to hook up and see if he has any
> advice for you. Oh, my mother-in-law is coming to visit tommorrow for
> a couple of days, and she is diabetic. Maybe I'll have some info for
> you quicker than I thought. Whatever, don't let it get you down - it's
> common and you WILL find a lifestyle that you can get used to - I
> swear.


Thanks. Fortunately my wife and the rest of my family are very
supportive. I have a brother-in-law who has both type I and type II
diabetes and has been managing very well for many years, so I know it's
not necessarily the end of the world.
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
jem
 
Posts: n/a
Default

TheAlligator wrote:
> jem > wrote:
>
>>That's what I'm doing so far. Cutting portions down, no more sugar from
>>soda/tea/coffee. Cutting out most of the snacking and sweets. I did have
>>2 butter rum Lifesaver's for dessert. Yum. Thanks for the tip on a.f.d.

>
> My mother-in law is an old time down-home backwoods Arkansas cook who
> raised a family of 8 with almost no income. Her cooking was mostly
> based on lard, lots of filling starches and salt. If she could
> change, anyone can. I'll get back to you tomorrow evening with
> whatever I find out.


Great! Thanks. Lard is good.
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Damsel in dis Dress
 
Posts: n/a
Default

jem >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>I have a brother-in-law who has both type I and type II
>diabetes and has been managing very well for many years, so I know it's
>not necessarily the end of the world.


Huh? I've never heard of anyone with both type 1 and type 2. If you know
the particulars, can you share them with us?

I'm diabetic with high blood pressure, too. You don't want my advice. I'm
really struggling with it right now. You may find (and it's normal) that
you'll go into and out of denial about your diabetes. It's not an easily
accepted disease. <sigh>

Carol, who cried in the bakery section of the grocery store today
--
"Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

*James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Nexis
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
...
> jem >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
> >I have a brother-in-law who has both type I and type II
> >diabetes and has been managing very well for many years, so I know it's
> >not necessarily the end of the world.

>
> Huh? I've never heard of anyone with both type 1 and type 2. If you know
> the particulars, can you share them with us?
>
> I'm diabetic with high blood pressure, too. You don't want my advice.

I'm
> really struggling with it right now. You may find (and it's normal) that
> you'll go into and out of denial about your diabetes. It's not an easily
> accepted disease. <sigh>
>
> Carol, who cried in the bakery section of the grocery store today
> --


At least he has the support of those around him. It's hard when people
around you tell you that you're diabetic "by choice".

kimberly


  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Gabby
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Nexis" > wrote in message
news:inBWd.155780$Yu.12460@fed1read01...
> At least he has the support of those around him. It's hard when people
> around you tell you that you're diabetic "by choice".


Huh? Diabetic 'by choice'? That's a new one. How exactly does one choose
to have one's islet cells stop producing insulin?

Gabby




  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Gabby
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
...

> I'm diabetic with high blood pressure, too. You don't want my advice.
> I'm
> really struggling with it right now. You may find (and it's normal) that
> you'll go into and out of denial about your diabetes. It's not an easily
> accepted disease. <sigh>


No kidding! Hubby went into denial about 18 months after he was diagnosed,
once he started feeling well again. He's been in denial for the past 8 1/2
years. Not following his diet has meant the loss of his air traffic
controller licence (he was lucky enough to find another job within the same
company) & impotence. But that still isn't enough for him to control his
blood sugars.

Gabby


  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Carol In WI
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I lowered my cholesterol, in 6 months, by 6 points, by drinking tons of
water, more fiber, I eat oatmeal with Fiber One cereal in it, just about
every morning. My sugar even was rather good! And for as much sugar as I
feel I eat, I didn't think it would turn out as good as it did. I don't like
eating at fast food places any more, can't believe how much grease is in
some of them. Hope this much helps you out. Carol In WI


  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Ted Campanelli
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:

> :-( Of course this makes me very unhappy. Fortunately I am being treated
> with oral medication for now, so am not getting needle sticks every day.
> I'm really going to have to change my lifestyle, which means my eating
> habits and more exercise (and losing 30 pounds. I'm 6'2" and the doctor
> wants me to get down to 200). Could people how have this email me some
> of their favorite recipes? Fortunately/Unfortunately I like about
> everything, savory, vegatables, pasta, starch and sweets. Favorite
> recipes, meals, snack suggestions would really be appreciated. Feel free
> to post here or email to me. Thanks.
>
> James



In addition to the things you mentioned there are two other things that
will help. My wife is an RN AND a Certified Holistic Nurse. She has
suggested these 2 things to her patients with diabetes and/or
cholesterol problems.

1. 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon in your morning coffee or tea WILL reduce
your blood sugar level by about 25 points. It takes an average of 3
months for this to work. This has been documented in many alternative
health journals. BTW - more than 1/2 tsp will not lower the blood sugar
level more, 1/2 tsp is the recommended amount.

2. 1 garlic pill (1,000 mg ) a day will lower your cholesterol about 10
points. This takes about 2 weeks before results are seen.
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Damsel in dis Dress
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Nexis" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>At least he has the support of those around him. It's hard when people
>around you tell you that you're diabetic "by choice".


WHAT??? People have actually said that to you? How moronic can people
be? Un<bleeping>believable.

Carol
--
"Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

*James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_
  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Stan Horwitz
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >,
jem > wrote:

> :-( Of course this makes me very unhappy. Fortunately I am being treated
> with oral medication for now, so am not getting needle sticks every day.
> I'm really going to have to change my lifestyle, which means my eating
> habits and more exercise (and losing 30 pounds. I'm 6'2" and the doctor
> wants me to get down to 200). Could people how have this email me some
> of their favorite recipes? Fortunately/Unfortunately I like about
> everything, savory, vegatables, pasta, starch and sweets. Favorite
> recipes, meals, snack suggestions would really be appreciated. Feel free
> to post here or email to me. Thanks.
>
> James


Try posting your question on the diabetes newsgroup. There are
alt.food.diabetes and alt.support.diabetes newsgroups where such
questions are perfect. The American Diabetes Association also has
a wonderful web site at http://www.diabetes.org with tons of recipes
and other information for diabetics.

I am diabetic too, as of six months ago. Eating a healthy diet is
important, but do not disregard the importance of getting regular
exercise. Walking two or three miles every other day does wonders to
help control diabetes.

For example, a few days ago, I went to a business/lunch meeting where
free pizza was served. I ate four slices. At around 5:00pm, I tested my
blood sugar and it was 159! I high tailed it to the gym across from my
office and I did three miles of brisk walking there on the indoor track.
I returned to my office where I tested my blood glucose again and it was
down to 86! All I did was walk briskly for three miles to get it to
drop; no drugs. I do take Avandment in the morning and night though.

I just visited my primary care physician yesterday. He told me I lost
six pounds since my previous visit three months ago and my BP was
110/70, which is great. My fasting BG numbers are well in control too. I
accomplished this simply by eating sensibly and getting regular exercise.


  #16 (permalink)   Report Post  
Phred
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >, "Gabby" > wrote:
>
>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .
>
>> I'm diabetic with high blood pressure, too. You don't want my advice.
>> I'm
>> really struggling with it right now. You may find (and it's normal) that
>> you'll go into and out of denial about your diabetes. It's not an easily
>> accepted disease. <sigh>

>
>No kidding! Hubby went into denial about 18 months after he was diagnosed,
>once he started feeling well again. He's been in denial for the past 8 1/2
>years. Not following his diet has meant the loss of his air traffic
>controller licence (he was lucky enough to find another job within the same
>company) & impotence. But that still isn't enough for him to control his
>blood sugars.


Maybe loss of a leg will do it.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

  #17 (permalink)   Report Post  
Phred
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >, "Gabby" > wrote:
>
>"Nexis" > wrote in message
>news:inBWd.155780$Yu.12460@fed1read01...
>> At least he has the support of those around him. It's hard when people
>> around you tell you that you're diabetic "by choice".

>
>Huh? Diabetic 'by choice'? That's a new one. How exactly does one choose
>to have one's islet cells stop producing insulin?


By treating them badly.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

  #18 (permalink)   Report Post  
Phred
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>On Sat 05 Mar 2005 06:21:20p, jem wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>>:-( Of course this makes me very unhappy. Fortunately I am being treated
>> with oral medication for now, so am not getting needle sticks every day.
>> I'm really going to have to change my lifestyle, which means my eating
>> habits and more exercise (and losing 30 pounds. I'm 6'2" and the doctor
>> wants me to get down to 200). Could people how have this email me some
>> of their favorite recipes? Fortunately/Unfortunately I like about
>> everything, savory, vegatables, pasta, starch and sweets. Favorite
>> recipes, meals, snack suggestions would really be appreciated. Feel free
>> to post here or email to me. Thanks.

>
>I have both diabetes and high blood pressure as well, and take oral
>medications for both. I eat a pretty normal diet and range of foods, but try
>to eat fewer carbohydrates and fats.
>
>You might check out alt.food.diabetic. It's a good source for the
>information you're seeking.


There are also many web resources, including some with good advice.

For diabetic newbies, this seems sensible:
<http://www.mendosa.com/advice.htm>

The site also has links to other resources for diabetics. Start at
<http://www.mendosa.com/diabetes.htm>

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

  #20 (permalink)   Report Post  
Gabby
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Phred" > wrote in message
...
> In article >, "Gabby"
> > wrote:
>>
>>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
. ..
>>
>>> I'm diabetic with high blood pressure, too. You don't want my advice.
>>> I'm
>>> really struggling with it right now. You may find (and it's normal)
>>> that
>>> you'll go into and out of denial about your diabetes. It's not an
>>> easily
>>> accepted disease. <sigh>

>>
>>No kidding! Hubby went into denial about 18 months after he was
>>diagnosed,
>>once he started feeling well again. He's been in denial for the past 8
>>1/2
>>years. Not following his diet has meant the loss of his air traffic
>>controller licence (he was lucky enough to find another job within the
>>same
>>company) & impotence. But that still isn't enough for him to control his
>>blood sugars.

>
> Maybe loss of a leg will do it.


I've tried telling him that, to no avail. Considering that just before he
was diagnosed his eyesight went for a shit to such a point that he could no
longer work, nor drive, you'd think he'd be less stupid -- but no. Both my
grandfather and my uncle died from this, my grandfather after losing toes,
my uncle after going blind and losing both legs. None of this makes an
impression on my husband.

Gabby




  #21 (permalink)   Report Post  
Priscilla Ballou
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> jem >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
> >I have a brother-in-law who has both type I and type II
> >diabetes and has been managing very well for many years, so I know it's
> >not necessarily the end of the world.

>
> Huh? I've never heard of anyone with both type 1 and type 2. If you know
> the particulars, can you share them with us?


Oh, yeah. It happens. I think the most common scenario for it is a T1
who develops insulin resistance later. I presume they had the genes for
IR but got zapped with T1 before the T2 could develop. Then it did.

Priscilla, T2
--
"And what's this crap about Sodomites? It's always Sodomites this and
Sodomites that. What about us Gomorrahians? We were there too; we
deserve some mention. Sodom always gets the credit, and Gomorrah always
does the work." - JohnN in alt.religion.christian.episcopal
  #22 (permalink)   Report Post  
Priscilla Ballou
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >,
"Gabby" > wrote:

> "Nexis" > wrote in message
> news:inBWd.155780$Yu.12460@fed1read01...
> > At least he has the support of those around him. It's hard when people
> > around you tell you that you're diabetic "by choice".

>
> Huh? Diabetic 'by choice'? That's a new one. How exactly does one choose
> to have one's islet cells stop producing insulin?


I've always heard that we bring it on by picking the wrong grandparents.

Priscilla, T2
--
"And what's this crap about Sodomites? It's always Sodomites this and
Sodomites that. What about us Gomorrahians? We were there too; we
deserve some mention. Sodom always gets the credit, and Gomorrah always
does the work." - JohnN in alt.religion.christian.episcopal
  #23 (permalink)   Report Post  
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 03:54:13 GMT, jem > wrote:

>TheAlligator wrote:
>> jem > wrote:
>>
>>
>>>:-( Of course this makes me very unhappy. Fortunately I am being treated
>>>with oral medication for now, so am not getting needle sticks every day.
>>>I'm really going to have to change my lifestyle, which means my eating
>>>habits and more exercise (and losing 30 pounds. I'm 6'2" and the doctor
>>>wants me to get down to 200). Could people how have this email me some
>>>of their favorite recipes? Fortunately/Unfortunately I like about
>>>everything, savory, vegatables, pasta, starch and sweets. Favorite
>>>recipes, meals, snack suggestions would really be appreciated. Feel free
>>>to post here or email to me. Thanks.
>>>

<snip>

>Thanks. Fortunately my wife and the rest of my family are very
>supportive. I have a brother-in-law who has both type I and type II
>diabetes and has been managing very well for many years, so I know it's
>not necessarily the end of the world.


Just a matter of moving what was an internal regulatory matter to an
external regulatory matter.

I can't give you any favourite recipes, as I'm still messing around
with them myself. I'm not diabetic, but am doing the current weight
watchers program. I'd recommend buying one of the many excellent
diabetic cookbooks, (and I can't recommend this one enough, I LOVE
it!) "Cookwise", which will give you some scientific understanding of
how ingredients work and which will help you adapt your current
favourite recipes to your new dietary requirements.

I put a new menu together every time my dad (who's type 2 diabetic)
and my mom (who's gluten, dairy and soy intolerant) come for dinner. I
regard it as a cooking challenge. So far, no complete misses.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario

  #24 (permalink)   Report Post  
Gal Called J.J.
 
Posts: n/a
Default

One time on Usenet, jem > said:

> :-( Of course this makes me very unhappy. Fortunately I am being treated
> with oral medication for now, so am not getting needle sticks every day.
> I'm really going to have to change my lifestyle, which means my eating
> habits and more exercise (and losing 30 pounds. I'm 6'2" and the doctor
> wants me to get down to 200). Could people how have this email me some
> of their favorite recipes? Fortunately/Unfortunately I like about
> everything, savory, vegatables, pasta, starch and sweets. Favorite
> recipes, meals, snack suggestions would really be appreciated. Feel free
> to post here or email to me. Thanks.


I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic in Feb '04. I've lost 40
pounds since then through lower calorie diet and walking 5-10 miles
per week, and the disease is currently in remission (my HbA1C is a
down from 9.1 to a mere 4.9 now, yay!). Rather than looking for specific
recipes, I suggest you attend a nutrition class at your local hospital
or clinic, if available. Cutting calories and learning to count carb
units let me continue to eat carbs, just not in the quantities that I
was consuming them in the past. You can get a lot of great information
about this in alt.support.diet and alt.support.diet.low-carb. Best of
luck... :-)

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is
filled with elf blood." - Frylock, ATHF
  #25 (permalink)   Report Post  
jem
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> jem >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
>
>>I have a brother-in-law who has both type I and type II
>>diabetes and has been managing very well for many years, so I know it's
>>not necessarily the end of the world.

>
>
> Huh? I've never heard of anyone with both type 1 and type 2. If you know
> the particulars, can you share them with us?
>
> I'm diabetic with high blood pressure, too. You don't want my advice. I'm
> really struggling with it right now. You may find (and it's normal) that
> you'll go into and out of denial about your diabetes. It's not an easily
> accepted disease. <sigh>
>
> Carol, who cried in the bakery section of the grocery store today


All I really know is that he's called a 'double-diabetic'. Sorry I don't
have more info.


  #26 (permalink)   Report Post  
jem
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Carol In WI wrote:
> I lowered my cholesterol, in 6 months, by 6 points, by drinking tons of
> water, more fiber, I eat oatmeal with Fiber One cereal in it, just about
> every morning. My sugar even was rather good! And for as much sugar as I
> feel I eat, I didn't think it would turn out as good as it did. I don't like
> eating at fast food places any more, can't believe how much grease is in
> some of them. Hope this much helps you out. Carol In WI
>
>


6 points? Maybe I'm not on the same page as you, but that isn't a large
drop is it?
  #27 (permalink)   Report Post  
zxcvbob
 
Posts: n/a
Default

jem wrote:
> :-( Of course this makes me very unhappy. Fortunately I am being treated
> with oral medication for now, so am not getting needle sticks every day.
> I'm really going to have to change my lifestyle, which means my eating
> habits and more exercise (and losing 30 pounds. I'm 6'2" and the doctor
> wants me to get down to 200). Could people how have this email me some
> of their favorite recipes? Fortunately/Unfortunately I like about
> everything, savory, vegatables, pasta, starch and sweets. Favorite
> recipes, meals, snack suggestions would really be appreciated. Feel free
> to post here or email to me. Thanks.
>
> James



If it weren't for the high cholesterol part, I would say Adkin's Diet
plus exercise. (BTW, I don't believe Adkin's's a normally good weight
loss program, but I'm naturally a skeptic about such things.) It might
be a good way to go even with the high cholesterol if you monitor it
closely and switch to something else if your LDL goes up instead of
down. I suspect the cholesterol will go down by itself as you lose
weight, and Adkin's diet should be great for diabetics -- and my brother
has lost 60 or more pounds on high protein with very low carbohydrates.
I know one of the things he eats a lot is chili, made with lean beef
and *lots* of tomatoes and fresh and dried peppers in it. He'll make a
huge pot of chili and then eat almost nothing else but that and a few
Fritos for a week at a time.

Good luck, and best regards,
Bob <-- doesn't put tomatoes in chili :-)
  #28 (permalink)   Report Post  
Wayne Boatwright
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sun 06 Mar 2005 09:37:50a, Priscilla Ballou wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> "Gabby" > wrote:
>
>> "Nexis" > wrote in message
>> news:inBWd.155780$Yu.12460@fed1read01...
>> > At least he has the support of those around him. It's hard when
>> > people around you tell you that you're diabetic "by choice".

>>
>> Huh? Diabetic 'by choice'? That's a new one. How exactly does one
>> choose to have one's islet cells stop producing insulin?

>
> I've always heard that we bring it on by picking the wrong grandparents.
>
> Priscilla, T2


None of my grandparents nor my parents were diabetic. AFAIK, I'm the only
one in my entire family who is diabetic, T2.

--
Wayne Boatwright
____________________________________________

Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
  #29 (permalink)   Report Post  
Goomba38
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ted Campanelli wrote:
.. My wife is an RN AND a Certified Holistic Nurse.

certified by whom??
Goomba

  #30 (permalink)   Report Post  
Goomba38
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Gabby wrote:


> I've tried telling him that, to no avail. Considering that just before he
> was diagnosed his eyesight went for a shit to such a point that he could no
> longer work, nor drive, you'd think he'd be less stupid -- but no. Both my
> grandfather and my uncle died from this, my grandfather after losing toes,
> my uncle after going blind and losing both legs. None of this makes an
> impression on my husband.
>
> Gabby


I've been known to explain to younger male
patients that are non compliant with their
treatment that impotence isn't unheard of in
diabetics who don't take care of themselves? I
also remind them that how they care for their self
today will be felt years down the road if they
can't see the long term effects on this disease?
Goomba



  #31 (permalink)   Report Post  
Priscilla Ballou
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Sun 06 Mar 2005 09:37:50a, Priscilla Ballou wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article >,
> > "Gabby" > wrote:
> >
> >> "Nexis" > wrote in message
> >> news:inBWd.155780$Yu.12460@fed1read01...
> >> > At least he has the support of those around him. It's hard when
> >> > people around you tell you that you're diabetic "by choice".
> >>
> >> Huh? Diabetic 'by choice'? That's a new one. How exactly does one
> >> choose to have one's islet cells stop producing insulin?

> >
> > I've always heard that we bring it on by picking the wrong grandparents.
> >
> > Priscilla, T2

>
> None of my grandparents nor my parents were diabetic. AFAIK, I'm the only
> one in my entire family who is diabetic, T2.


Hmmm.

/church lady ON

Could it be.... genetic mutation?

/church lady OFF

Priscilla
--
"And what's this crap about Sodomites? It's always Sodomites this and
Sodomites that. What about us Gomorrahians? We were there too; we
deserve some mention. Sodom always gets the credit, and Gomorrah always
does the work." - JohnN in alt.religion.christian.episcopal
  #32 (permalink)   Report Post  
Wayne Boatwright
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sun 06 Mar 2005 01:45:59p, Goomba38 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Ted Campanelli wrote:
> . My wife is an RN AND a Certified Holistic Nurse.
>
> certified by whom??
> Goomba


Dunno, but somebody must. My doctor, an osteopath, is certified as a
holistic specialist. The diplomas/certificates say so, but I've never paid
attention to the details.

--
Wayne Boatwright
____________________________________________

Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
  #33 (permalink)   Report Post  
Wayne Boatwright
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sun 06 Mar 2005 01:55:57p, Priscilla Ballou wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Sun 06 Mar 2005 09:37:50a, Priscilla Ballou wrote in
>> rec.food.cooking:
>>
>> > In article >,
>> > "Gabby" > wrote:
>> >
>> >> "Nexis" > wrote in message
>> >> news:inBWd.155780$Yu.12460@fed1read01...
>> >> > At least he has the support of those around him. It's hard when
>> >> > people around you tell you that you're diabetic "by choice".
>> >>
>> >> Huh? Diabetic 'by choice'? That's a new one. How exactly does one
>> >> choose to have one's islet cells stop producing insulin?
>> >
>> > I've always heard that we bring it on by picking the wrong
>> > grandparents.
>> >
>> > Priscilla, T2

>>
>> None of my grandparents nor my parents were diabetic. AFAIK, I'm the
>> only one in my entire family who is diabetic, T2.

>
> Hmmm.
>
> /church lady ON
>
> Could it be.... genetic mutation?
>
> /church lady OFF
>
> Priscilla


Must be something like that. In my case it certainly wasn't hereditary.
My family is generally ahardy lot. My paternal grandmother died at 101
years of age. The remainder of my grandparents died in the 90's, my
parents in their mid-80's.

--
Wayne Boatwright
____________________________________________

Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
  #34 (permalink)   Report Post  
Ted Campanelli
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:

> On Sun 06 Mar 2005 01:45:59p, Goomba38 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Ted Campanelli wrote:
>> . My wife is an RN AND a Certified Holistic Nurse.
>>
>> certified by whom??
>> Goomba

>
> Dunno, but somebody must. My doctor, an osteopath, is certified as a
> holistic specialist. The diplomas/certificates say so, but I've never paid
> attention to the details.
>


Certified by the National Board of Holistic Nurses. This is a bonifide
organization with very high standards that is recognized by MOST medical
organizations and medical practitioners. I am not sure if it is
recognized by the AMA. But then the AMA often takes 15 - 20 years to
recognize and accept medicines and medical procedures that are in common
use in other countries.

A prime example - A disk replacement procedure for bad backs that has
been in use in Europe for over 10 years with a 90%+ success rate
(compared to present US procedures with a 25% success rate) with a
recovery time of 1/2 of the present procedure being used . The AMA has
recently recognized it for "Limited Trial Use" in this country.
  #35 (permalink)   Report Post  
Damsel in dis Dress
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Priscilla Ballou >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> jem >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>>
>> >I have a brother-in-law who has both type I and type II
>> >diabetes and has been managing very well for many years, so I know it's
>> >not necessarily the end of the world.

>>
>> Huh? I've never heard of anyone with both type 1 and type 2. If you know
>> the particulars, can you share them with us?

>
>Oh, yeah. It happens. I think the most common scenario for it is a T1
>who develops insulin resistance later. I presume they had the genes for
>IR but got zapped with T1 before the T2 could develop. Then it did.
>
>Priscilla, T2


Wow! The things you learn on Usenet. BTW, after seeing in print my
comment about crying in the bakery section of the store last night, I knew
I had to give myself a good kick in the butt and start taking better care
of myself.

I have, in front of me, a big bowl of plain Dannon's yogurt with DaVinci's
sugar-free vanilla syrup and a bunch of cinnamon mixed into it. Reminds me
of my mom's sour cream apple pies. (Thinking to self - check and see if
DaVinci's makes a sugar free apple flavored syrup)

Carol, also a Type 2
--
"Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

*James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_


  #36 (permalink)   Report Post  
Damsel in dis Dress
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Priscilla Ballou >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>In article >,
> "Gabby" > wrote:
>
>> "Nexis" > wrote in message
>> news:inBWd.155780$Yu.12460@fed1read01...
>> > At least he has the support of those around him. It's hard when people
>> > around you tell you that you're diabetic "by choice".

>>
>> Huh? Diabetic 'by choice'? That's a new one. How exactly does one choose
>> to have one's islet cells stop producing insulin?

>
>I've always heard that we bring it on by picking the wrong grandparents.
>
>Priscilla, T2


My paternal grandmother had Type 2 diabetes. So I guess it's her fault.
<G> Actually, I got mine from taking Prednisone over a lonnnnnnng period
of time for my asthma. They have a sub-category of Type 2. Medication
induced. Unfortunately, it doesn't go away when you stop taking the meds.

Carol, who gets mildly ****ed off about this sometimes
--
"Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

*James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_
  #37 (permalink)   Report Post  
Damsel in dis Dress
 
Posts: n/a
Default

zxcvbob >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>If it weren't for the high cholesterol part, I would say Adkin's Diet
>plus exercise. (BTW, I don't believe Adkin's's a normally good weight
>loss program, but I'm naturally a skeptic about such things.) It might
>be a good way to go even with the high cholesterol if you monitor it
>closely and switch to something else if your LDL goes up instead of
>down. I suspect the cholesterol will go down by itself as you lose
>weight, and Adkin's diet should be great for diabetics -- and my brother
>has lost 60 or more pounds on high protein with very low carbohydrates.


Atkins is GREAT for high cholesterol. Here's a copy of a post I made to
the low-carb group, before I fell off the wagon. I'd lost 40 pounds.

This is the difference from November of 2002 to April of 2003:

Total Cholesterol from 195 to 167
HDL from 44 to 52
LDL from 117 to 91
Ratio from 2.7 to 1.7
Triglycerides from 168 to 121

Low carb is the way to go. (BTW, Atkins isn't a high protein diet. It's
high fat sufficient protein, and low carb)

Carol
--
"Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

*James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_
  #38 (permalink)   Report Post  
Hahabogus
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Priscilla Ballou > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
> > On Sun 06 Mar 2005 09:37:50a, Priscilla Ballou wrote in
> > rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > In article >,
> > > "Gabby" > wrote:
> > >
> > >> "Nexis" > wrote in message
> > >> news:inBWd.155780$Yu.12460@fed1read01...
> > >> > At least he has the support of those around him. It's hard
> > >> > when people around you tell you that you're diabetic "by
> > >> > choice".
> > >>
> > >> Huh? Diabetic 'by choice'? That's a new one. How exactly
> > >> does one choose to have one's islet cells stop producing
> > >> insulin?
> > >
> > > I've always heard that we bring it on by picking the wrong
> > > grandparents.
> > >
> > > Priscilla, T2

> >
> > None of my grandparents nor my parents were diabetic. AFAIK, I'm
> > the only one in my entire family who is diabetic, T2.

>
> Hmmm.
>
> /church lady ON
>
> Could it be.... genetic mutation?
>
> /church lady OFF
>
> Priscilla


T2 was 'discovered' in the fifties. So possibly you are just the first
confirmed case in your family. Or the others died from strokes/heart
attacks before they were diagnosed. The Glucose level required for
diagnosing as type 2 is not a constant. In the UK it is in the high 6's
mmol or below 115 mg/dl. In North America is has recently been lowered to
7.0 mmol or 128 ish mg/dl.

Some doctors aren't aware of this. Some doctors aren't up to speed with
the treatment/diet/drugs for T2's.



--
No Bread Crumbs were hurt in the making of this Meal.
Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
  #39 (permalink)   Report Post  
Damsel in dis Dress
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Priscilla Ballou >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>/church lady ON
>
>Could it be.... genetic mutation?
>
>/church lady OFF


ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you a mutant, Priscilla?

Carol
--
"Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

*James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_
  #40 (permalink)   Report Post  
Melba's Jammin'
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >, Stan Horwitz
> wrote:
(snip)
>I returned to my office where I tested my blood glucose again and it
>was down to 86! All I did was walk briskly for three miles to get it
>to drop; no drugs. I do take Avandment in the morning and night
>though.


> I just visited my primary care physician yesterday. He told me I lost
> six pounds since my previous visit three months ago and my BP was
> 110/70, which is great. My fasting BG numbers are well in control too. I
> accomplished this simply by eating sensibly and getting regular exercise.


And a prescription drug for diabetes. (Congrats on the better numbers,
BTW.)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
"I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Low Fat High Carb-cholesterol is scary mantra. ImStillMags General Cooking 145 26-08-2011 08:31 PM
newly diagnosed diabetic here james durham Diabetic 3 20-11-2008 03:10 AM
Help! High Sugar, High pH, & High TA premium Cabernet Sauvignon must Darin Winemaking 10 19-11-2008 04:45 AM
Diabetic with newly diagnosed chronic kidney disease [email protected] Diabetic 1 27-01-2007 06:10 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"