Old 16-08-2011, 12:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default The Low Fat High Carb-cholesterol is scary mantra.

So.....let's discuss the way the American public has been advertised,
browbeaten and 'advised' into eating a low fat, high carb, cholesterol
is scary diet for the past 30 years......and that correlation to the
obesity epidemic and accompanying health problems.

Real food, meat, veggies, fruits, and little or no grains ....in other
words a primal or ancestral diet is way better for the human animal
than the convenience proccessed stuff people eat today.

I know there are people on both sides of the fence here, but in MY
life the primal-paleo-ancestral diet is
doing amazing things for me weight wise and health wise.

chime in....

Old 16-08-2011, 01:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" wrote in message
So.....let's discuss the way the American public has been advertised,
browbeaten and 'advised' into eating a low fat, high carb, cholesterol
is scary diet for the past 30 years......and that correlation to the
obesity epidemic and accompanying health problems.

Real food, meat, veggies, fruits, and little or no grains ....in other
words a primal or ancestral diet is way better for the human animal
than the convenience proccessed stuff people eat today.

I know there are people on both sides of the fence here, but in MY
life the primal-paleo-ancestral diet is
doing amazing things for me weight wise and health wise.

chime in....

I have never been advised to eat that way.

Now my natural diet (the one I would choose to eat based on taste) is
naturally low in fat and high in carbs. If I could, day after day I would
eat beans and rice, some other veggies and sometimes some cheese along with.
So you see the only fat in my diet would be coming from the cheese, perhaps
a small amount added to the rice and some butter and milk to mashed
potatoes.

This diet won't work for me because of my diabetes. I can't handle that
many carbs.

What diet works well for me for weight loss? Extreme low calories and fat.
That diet was also low in protein. I did lose the weight but I felt like
crap. I had no energy and couldn't maintain that diet forever. I also had
to exercise to exhaustion and injury so had to give it up.

I do know that eating too many carbs, particularly of the refined variety
like white flour, white rice and sugar are what raise cholesterol and
triglycerides in particular.

I do not think there is a one size fits all diet. I do know a couple of
people who need to eat mainly meat, perhaps with some junk food thrown in.
They seem to survive on precious few vegetables. And if they have to go two
days without meat they get surley. So pretty much the opposite of me.

Old 16-08-2011, 01:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 16:28:05 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags wrote:

I know there are people on both sides of the fence here, but in MY
life the primal-paleo-ancestral diet is
doing amazing things for me weight wise and health wise.

Yeah, but finding USDA Prime woolly mammoth is nearly impossible these
days. It's all this frozen, ungraded crap that's been sitting around
for ages.

So... Just like Karo syrup?

Old 16-08-2011, 02:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 7:28*pm, ImStillMags wrote:
So.....let's discuss the way the American public has been advertised,
browbeaten and 'advised' into eating a low fat, high carb, cholesterol
is scary diet for the past 30 years......and that correlation to the
obesity epidemic and accompanying health problems.

Real food, meat, veggies, fruits, and little or no grains ....in other
words a primal or ancestral diet is way better for the human animal
than the convenience proccessed stuff people eat today.

I know there are people on both sides of the fence here, but in MY
life the primal-paleo-ancestral diet is
doing amazing things for me weight wise and health wise.

chime in....

What I find most scary is the way the fed govt continues to promote &
subsidise all the grains that are making the country fat & sick. It
makes me mad everytime I see a commercial advising high grain
consumption, esp thru kids cereals.
The govt is resisting the proven evidence in favor of the big
lobbyists - what else is new. Money talks!!
We thank God we found low Carb ways of eating. And our bodies thank
us by feeling so much better.
Nan in DE

Old 16-08-2011, 04:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 06:27:50 -0700 (PDT), Nan
wrote:

what else is new. Money talks!!

Same ole, same ole.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Old 16-08-2011, 05:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

So.....let's discuss the way the American public has been advertised,
browbeaten and 'advised' into eating a low fat, high carb, cholesterol
is scary diet for the past 30 years......and that correlation to the
obesity epidemic and accompanying health problems.

Real food, meat, veggies, fruits, and little or no grains ....in other
words a primal or ancestral diet is way better for the human animal
than the convenience proccessed stuff people eat today.

I know there are people on both sides of the fence here, but in MY
life the primal-paleo-ancestral diet is
doing amazing things for me weight wise and health wise.

chime in....

The fat-is-bad system works by sympathetic magic. You get salt by
burning poison metal with poison gas, therefore you get fat by eating
fat. All of the other statements start at that point. Fat is calorie
dense - Sure but it also keeps new hunger from coming back longer
calorie for calorie. Bulky veggies make you feel full - Sure but low
carb diets focus on bulky veggies so there's no point to the statement.
Studies show fat is bad - Only if you don't also control for carb intake
and start with the assumption that fat is bad in the first place.

The carb-is-bad system works by setting the clock to 1960 and seeing
who's fat. It's the people who ate starchy diets before almost anyone
heard of the low fat mantra. Then start trying it.

There's also the assumption that eating grain is good. Because no one
who gets symptoms from eating grain is to be believed. The actual
situation of bad-for-some does not equal bad-for-all but it absolutely
does not equal good-for-all which was the statement for very many years.

Low carb does not equal paleo but there is a lot of overlap.
Old 16-08-2011, 07:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 16, 9:50*am, Doug Freyburger wrote:

Low carb does not equal paleo but there is a lot of overlap.- Hide quoted text -

Well, I've stopped listening to all the so called 'experts',
nutritionists and doctors who still tout the low fat high carb food
pyramid myth.

My health was going slowly downhill and my weight was going up and I
was eating a supposedly healthy diet.... after I decided to quit
wheat and see what happened I started poking around for wheat free
recipes and ideas and then I discovered all the paleo and primal and
ancestral diet sites and boards and information. I really resonated
with Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint approach.

A little light bulb went off in my head. I now eat pretty much only
fresh vegetables, some fruit mostly berries, meats, nuts and nut
butters, almost no grains at all except for quinoa and some wild or
black rice, only full fat dairy products like cheese and yogurt and
a little cream for the coffee. I make my own flax meal 'bread'/
muffins and those 'Oopsie' roll/bread thingies when I am craving a
sandwich or need a bun for a hamburger.

BTW if you guys haven't discovered the Oopsie rolls, they are a hoot
to make and actually really good, they are quite bread like and hold
up exceptionally well to sandwich making. Of course I came up with
my own version which I like MUCH better than the original recipe. I
will share both recipes if anyone is interested.

yada yada, etc.etc........on the food lies......the bottom line for me
is that I have lost over 50 pounds and still dropping, I eat GREAT, I
have no more joint pain, back pain, I sleep like a baby, I feel really
good, younger, more sprightly, etc.

I still enjoy a glass of wine and a square of dark chocolate as well !

Old 16-08-2011, 08:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 16, 2:33*pm, ImStillMags wrote:

BTW if you guys haven't discovered the Oopsie rolls, they are a hoot
to make and actually really good, they are quite bread like and hold
up exceptionally well to sandwich making. * Of course I came up with
my own version which I like MUCH better than the original recipe. * I
will share both recipes if anyone is interested.

I'm interested. Thanks.

yada yada, etc.etc........on the food lies......the bottom line for me
is that I have lost over 50 pounds and still dropping, I eat GREAT, I
have no more joint pain, back pain, I sleep like a baby, I feel really
good, younger, more sprightly, etc.

I still enjoy a glass of wine and a square of dark chocolate as well !

Way to go!

Jerry
Old 16-08-2011, 08:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Freyburger" wrote in message
ImStillMags wrote:

[...]

For many years in UK the ptb have been advocating high carb for
diabetics Recently that has changed and they are saying now that low carb
is best! Heh who woulda thunk it? They now say that the reason for
allowing high carb and low fat was that it kept the calories down and the
insulin took care of that.

I wonder how many people went blind or lost limbs because of that?

https://www.shop.helpforheros.or.uk

Old 16-08-2011, 08:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" wrote in message

BTW if you guys haven't discovered the Oopsie rolls, they are a hoot
to make and actually really good, they are quite bread like and hold
up exceptionally well to sandwich making. Of course I came up with
my own version which I like MUCH better than the original recipe. I
will share both recipes if anyone is interested.

YES Please!!!

yada yada, etc.etc........on the food lies......the bottom line for me
is that I have lost over 50 pounds and still dropping, I eat GREAT, I
have no more joint pain, back pain, I sleep like a baby, I feel really
good, younger, more sprightly, etc.

I still enjoy a glass of wine and a square of dark chocolate as well !

Well done!!!

https://www.shop.helpforheros.or.uk

Old 16-08-2011, 08:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote:
"ImStillMags" wrote in message

BTW if you guys haven't discovered the Oopsie rolls, they are a hoot
to make and actually really good, they are quite bread like and hold
up exceptionally well to sandwich making. Of course I came up with
my own version which I like MUCH better than the original recipe. I
will share both recipes if anyone is interested.

YES Please!!!

yada yada, etc.etc........on the food lies......the bottom line for me
is that I have lost over 50 pounds and still dropping, I eat GREAT, I
have no more joint pain, back pain, I sleep like a baby, I feel really
good, younger, more sprightly, etc.

I still enjoy a glass of wine and a square of dark chocolate as well !

Well done!!!

Red wine and dark chocolate are not supposed to mix, according to the
experts (too many potential strong inter-reactions between complexities, or
something like that). It's such a great pairing it makes you wonder what
planet they live on.
Old 16-08-2011, 08:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 16, 12:34*pm, Hackmatack wrote:

Red wine and dark chocolate are not supposed to mix, according to the
experts (too many potential strong inter-reactions between complexities, or
something like that). It's such a great pairing it makes you wonder what
planet they live on.- Hide quoted text -

If you guys have not read any of Mark Sissons blog....I highly
recommend it. Here are a couple of articles to get you
started.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/does-...diabetes-risk/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/protein-kidneys/

Old 17-08-2011, 05:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2011 1:33 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
yada yada, etc.etc........on the food lies......the bottom line for me
is that I have lost over 50 pounds and still dropping, I eat GREAT, I
have no more joint pain, back pain, I sleep like a baby, I feel really
good, younger, more sprightly, etc. I still enjoy a glass of wine and
a square of dark chocolate as well !

If this way of eating is working for you, then you keep going. If we
woke up 20K years ago, we would not be consuming the blue box mac &
cheese, margarine, Twinkies or coca-cola. Was our bodies intended to
eat that? Probably not, so I try to avoid eating processed foods. I
lost weight eating meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, yogurt, fruit and
vegetables, and I eat whole fat. I currently weigh 158, so I still have
a few more pounds to lose. I wish you the best of luck on your way of
eating.

Becca
Old 17-08-2011, 06:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/17/2011 09:37 AM, Ema Nymton wrote:
On 8/16/2011 1:33 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
yada yada, etc.etc........on the food lies......the bottom line for me
is that I have lost over 50 pounds and still dropping, I eat GREAT, I
have no more joint pain, back pain, I sleep like a baby, I feel really
good, younger, more sprightly, etc. I still enjoy a glass of wine and
a square of dark chocolate as well !

If this way of eating is working for you, then you keep going. If we
woke up 20K years ago, we would not be consuming the blue box mac &
cheese, margarine, Twinkies or coca-cola.

And we died by the time we were 40. :-)

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com