Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default newly diagnosed diabetic here

yall seem like nice ppl i would like posting here if everyone does not
mind im assuming all or most of you are diabetics and i have a few
questions of the sweetners we can use which is less dangerous and taste
good i like splenda but i read it causes damage to the liver kidneys and
digestive tract and has chlorine in it other sweetners i tried are
bitter or have side effects too and i should explain i have a birth
defect called spina bifida which has caused me kidney and digestive
issues also ive been warned against bread and pastas as the carbs turn
into sugar sending my levels up that also includes fats i heard my birth
defect doesnt need to get worse than it is so im asking so many
questions seeking advice on eating right any help is welcome feel free
to email directly or post answers here as ill be checking back
frequently thanks

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"james durham" > wrote in message
> yall seem like nice ppl i would like posting here if everyone does not
> mind im assuming all or most of you are diabetics and i have a few
> questions of the sweetners we can use which is less dangerous and taste
> good i like splenda but i read it causes damage to the liver kidneys and
> digestive tract and has chlorine in it other sweetners i tried are
> bitter or have side effects too and i should explain i have a birth
> defect called spina bifida which has caused me kidney and digestive
> issues also ive been warned against bread and pastas as the carbs turn
> into sugar sending my levels up that also includes fats i heard my birth
> defect doesnt need to get worse than it is so im asking so many
> questions seeking advice on eating right any help is welcome feel free
> to email directly or post answers here as ill be checking back
> frequently thanks

You'll find even more diabetics over in newsgroup alt.support.diabetes.
You may want to read this to help you understand what you'll find the

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

Some advice on what to do the

1) Don't answer anyone who wants to discuss religion instead of
diabetes, even if they put Dr. in front of their name. In fact, there's
such a doctor for which it's a bad idea to answer him at all.

2) Don't answer anyone who insists that excess iron in the blood
is the main cause of diabetes. It is a possible cause, but an
uncommon one.

3) Ignore anyone trying to sell fruit juice with the claim it is good
for diabetes. Nearly all of the people who make such a claim are
more interested in getting your money than in telling the truth or
giving you any help at all.

4) Watch the threads started by someone claiming to have a cure
for diabetes for a while before believing they were telling the truth,
since bending the meaning of "cure" far too much is much more
common in such threads the truth.

5) If your doctor has told you whether your diabetes is type 1,
type 2, of some other type, mention which type when you create
any new threads there, at least at first.

Some information on artificial sweeteners , especially how they relate
to diabetes:

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/200...weeteners.html

http://www.aspartame.net/rumors/Aspa...e_Internet.asp

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/1999/699_sugar.html

A video not yet complete enough to tell if it's worth watching:
<http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=9849652&ch=4226723&src=news>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"james durham" > wrote in message
> yall seem like nice ppl i would like posting here if everyone does not
> mind im assuming all or most of you are diabetics and i have a few
> questions of the sweetners we can use which is less dangerous and taste
> good i like splenda but i read it causes damage to the liver kidneys and
> digestive tract and has chlorine in it other sweetners i tried are
> bitter or have side effects too and i should explain i have a birth
> defect called spina bifida which has caused me kidney and digestive
> issues also ive been warned against bread and pastas as the carbs turn
> into sugar sending my levels up that also includes fats i heard my birth
> defect doesnt need to get worse than it is so im asking so many
> questions seeking advice on eating right any help is welcome feel free
> to email directly or post answers here as ill be checking back
> frequently thanks

Don't be scared of Splenda. Not only do most of us feel it is the best in
overall flavor quality, but actually it involves less chemical properties
than many other sweeteners such as Equal or Sweet N Low.

Wes