david greenstein

Default springform pan substitute?

Can I bake a cheesecake somehow without a springform pan?
Could I just butter another pan really well and then not expect to get
the cake out?
Or could I use wax paper somehow?

Bob

david greenstein wrote:

> Can I bake a cheesecake somehow without a springform pan?
> Could I just butter another pan really well and then not expect to get
> the cake out?
> Or could I use wax paper somehow?

Alton Brown's cheesecake recipe calls for a round cake pan 9 inches across
and 3 inches deep, brushed with butter and then lined with parchment. Here's
his recipe (from foodnetwork.com):

Sour Cream Cheesecake

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Crust:
33 graham cracker squares, crumbled
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus additional, for brushing
the pan
1 tablespoon sugar

Filling:
20 ounces cream cheese
1 1/4 cups sour cream
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
3 yolks
1/3 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Brush some of the melted butter around a 9 by
3-inch cake pan. Adhere parchment to the bottom and the sides.

In a small bowl, combine crumbled graham crackers, the remaining melted
butter, and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Press 2/3 of the mixture into the bottom
of the parchment-lined pan. Place remaining crumbs on a sheet pan and bake
both the crust and the remaining mixture for 10 minutes. Cool. Reserve
additional crumb mixture for sides.

In a mixer with a paddle attachment, beat sour cream for 10 seconds. Add the
cream cheese and sugar and mix on low for 30 seconds and then turn up to
medium. Scrape the bowl.

In a separate container, combine vanilla, eggs, yolks, and heavy cream. With
the mixer on medium, slowly pour the liquid mixture in. When half of it is
incorporated, stop and scrape. Continue adding the mixture until the rest of
the ingredients are incorporated. Once completely combined, pour into the
cooled crust.

Lower oven temperature to 250 degrees F. Place cheesecake into a preheated
water bath, in the oven for 1 hour. Turn the oven off and open the door for
one minute. Close the door for one more hour. Remove the cheesecake from the
water bath and place in the refrigerator for 6 hours to completely cool
before serving.

When ready to serve, place the entire cake pan into a hot water bath for
about 15 seconds. Unmold onto a cake round or serving dish. Take the
remaining graham cracker mixture and press into the sides of the cake.

To slice, place your knife into a hot water bath and wipe dry each time you
make a pass through the cake.

BOB'S NOTE: I use animal crackers instead of graham crackers.

Damsel in dis Dress

"david greenstein" >, if that's their real name,
wrote:

>Can I bake a cheesecake somehow without a springform pan?
>Could I just butter another pan really well and then not expect to get
>the cake out?
>Or could I use wax paper somehow?

I'd use parchment paper, myself. Here's Betty Crocker's version of Lindy's
Cheesecake, complete with directions for making it in a 9 x 13" pan:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lindy's Cheesecake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes Desserts

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup margarine or butter -- softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1 egg yolk
5 8 ounce packages cream cheese -- softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup whipping (heavy) cream
3/4 cup whipping (heavy) cream
1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds, if desired

Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 400º. Lightly grease
springform pan, 9 × 3 inches; remove bottom. Mix 1 cup flour, the
margarine, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon lemon peel and 1 egg yolk with
hands. Press one-third of the mixture evenly on bottom of pan. Place on
cookie sheet.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown; cool. Assemble bottom and side
of pan; secure side. Press remaining mixture all the way up side of pan.

Heat oven to 475º. Beat cream cheese, 1 3/4 cups sugar, 3 tablespoons
flour, the orange peel, 1 tablespoon lemon peel, the salt and 2 eggs in
large bowl until smooth. Continue beating, adding remaining eggs and 2 egg
yolks, one at a time, until blended. Beat in 1/4 cup whipping cream on low
speed. Pour into pan.

Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 200º. Bake 1 hour. Turn off
oven and leave cheesecake in oven 15 minutes. Run metal spatula along side
of cheesecake to loosen before and after refrigerating. Cover and
refrigerate at least 12 hours.

Remove cheesecake from side of pan. Beat 3/4 cup whipping cream in chilled
bowl until stiff. Spread whipped cream over top of cheesecake. Decorate
with almonds. Refrigerate any remaining cheesecake.

____________________

Please note, if you should change this recipe it will no longer be an
approved Betty Crocker® Recipe.

Copyright:
"© General Mills, Inc. 1998."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 424 Calories (kcal); 32g Total Fat; (66% calories from fat);
8g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 157mg Cholesterol; 268mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 6
Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : Lindy's Cheesecake Squares: Heat oven to 400º. Lightly grease
rectangular pan, 13 × 9 × 2 inches. Press crust mixture on bottom of pan.
Do not place pan on cookie sheet. Bake 15 minutes; cool. Heat oven to 475º.
Pour cream cheese mixture into pan. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven
temperature to 200º. Bake about 45 minutes or until center is set. Turn off
oven and leave cheesecake in oven 15 minutes; cool 15 minutes. Cover and
refrigerate at least 12 hours.

Continue as directed except increase almonds to 1/2 cup.