Ginny Sher

Default shrimp shells & stock revisited

I remember a few weeks ago, there was a thread about shrimp tails and
what to do with them. One poster, I believe it was Chef R W Miller
suggested boiling the shells to make a stock.

Well, I had some leftover shrimp shells from some Tom Yum Goong soup
that I made and I decided to prepare some stock out of them. He was
right about the intensity of the flavor. The smell from the stove was
incredible. OK... so now what do I do with it? Should this be
considered a concentrate and then diluted in something else? I'm
curious and would love to hear some of your recommendations.

Ginny
zuuum

"Ginny Sher" > wrote in message
> I remember a few weeks ago, there was a thread about shrimp tails and
> what to do with them. One poster, I believe it was Chef R W Miller
> suggested boiling the shells to make a stock.
>
> Well, I had some leftover shrimp shells from some Tom Yum Goong soup
> that I made and I decided to prepare some stock out of them. He was
> right about the intensity of the flavor. The smell from the stove was
> incredible. OK... so now what do I do with it? Should this be
> considered a concentrate and then diluted in something else? I'm
> curious and would love to hear some of your recommendations.

You're set for either building a sauce or a soup. I use it more or less
immeditately, but I keep bags of shrimp shells frozen for later use. More
often than not, mine become a cream shrimp sauce, but there are lots of ways
you can use.

Ginny Sher wrote:
> I remember a few weeks ago, there was a thread about shrimp tails and
> what to do with them. One poster, I believe it was Chef R W Miller
> suggested boiling the shells to make a stock.

Did you puree the shells with the water and then strain (afer boiling
for 10 min)? That's what Chef R W Miller suggested in order to get the
rich flavor.

Bob

Ginny asked:

> Well, I had some leftover shrimp shells from some Tom Yum Goong soup
> that I made and I decided to prepare some stock out of them. He was
> right about the intensity of the flavor. The smell from the stove was
> incredible. OK... so now what do I do with it? Should this be
> considered a concentrate and then diluted in something else? I'm
> curious and would love to hear some of your recommendations.

I added soy sauce and lemons, then used it to poach a sea bass. It was
wonderful.

Bob

Ginny Sher

>I added soy sauce and lemons, then used it to poach a sea bass. It was
>wonderful.
>
>Bob

That sounds like a winner to me. I think I"ll give that a try with
some halibut or salmon.

Ginny