Nancy Dooley

Default Salad ideas

"A.C." > wrote in message >...
> > As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. I have never eaten a salad
> > (don't laugh!) and I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good. When I
> > have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
> > ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.
> >
> > I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of garlic,
> > lemon, bacon, ect.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestions in advance!
> > ASF
> >

> i'm not even sure why they grow iceberg lettuce. its got to be the suckiest
> variety of lettuce around. try some romaine, baby spinach, radicchio,
> arugula, or frisee. most grocery stores carry bags of prepackaged lettuce
> mixes. try "spring mix" if you can find it. the textures and tastes are
> great. my favorite salad is a simple salad with romaine lettuce, grape
> tomatoes, sliced red onions and a few cucumber slices with a honey mustard
> balsamic vinaigrette.

Hey, everyone's taste buds are different. I like iceberg - my second
fave next to Romaine. Spring mix, to me, is like eating tough,
dried-up weeds (yes, I've had fresh). I'd say it's the yuckiest. ;-)

N.
MrAoD

Nancy Dooley informs us:

>"A.C." wrote

>> > As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. I have never eaten a

>salad
>> > (don't laugh!) and I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good. When

>> > have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah.

Well iceberg is rather taste-free/bland.

>>>What other salad
>> > ingredients don't have a yucky taste?

*disconnect* *blink* Sorry, I don't see the connection between "blah" and
"yucky".

>>>I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.

Butterhead or boston lettuce. It tastes like *something* but it's both mild
and sweet. Red or green leaf is OK too, but taste a leaf first and adjust the
dressing to suit.

>> > I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of garlic,
>> > lemon, bacon, ect.

How do you *know* that you need fat-free dressing? Not to be too cranky about
it, but fats add mouth-feel appreciation to food. If you're on a low-fat diet
based on doctor's orders, try a simple olive oil vinaigrette. Mild vinegar
such as champagne or white-wine or lemon juice, plus smooshed garlic,
veggie-or-otherwise bacon bits, and some chopped herbs. Or if you prefer
creamy dressings use unflavored yoghurt as the base - lemon-dill-garlic is a
good choice.

>> i'm not even sure why they grow iceberg lettuce. its got to be the suckiest
>> variety of lettuce around. try some romaine, baby spinach, radicchio,
>> arugula, or frisee. most grocery stores carry bags of prepackaged lettuce
>> mixes. try "spring mix" if you can find it. the textures and tastes are
>> great. my favorite salad is a simple salad with romaine lettuce, grape
>> tomatoes, sliced red onions and a few cucumber slices with a honey mustard

Uh, hon? Ms. Nancy doesn't seem to have the most sophisticated palate. While
I'm withya on your suggestion I don't think it'll help her.

>Hey, everyone's taste buds are different. I like iceberg - my second
>fave next to Romaine. Spring mix, to me, is like eating tough,
>dried-up weeds (yes, I've had fresh). I'd say it's the yuckiest. ;-)

Eh, my soi-disant fried, Klaus ("everyzing iss bedder in Chermany" - "OK Klaus,
WTF have you been living in the US for the past 25 years?") confesses to liking
iceberg as a wilting/cooking lettuce. No word on whether the pigs from whence
the grease came could heil or not.

Best,

Marc