LP

Default Salad ideas

As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. I have never eaten a salad
(don't laugh!) and I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good. When I
have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.

I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of garlic,
lemon, bacon, ect.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance!
ASF

The Joneses

LP wrote:

> As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. I have never eaten a salad
> (don't laugh!) and I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good. When I
> have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
> ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.
> I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of garlic,
> lemon, bacon, ect.

Who says you need lettuce? You might try jicama (hick a ma) a root vegetable
which tastes sort of sweet-ish. Like a sweet radish without the bite. Peel it
up, slice into thin strips, maybe add some carrots done the same way, throw in
a few raisins, grapes or apples. Slice up some celery, too. This would benefit
from a splash of lemon juice to keep the jicama & apples from getting brown.
Sprinkle same with a little olive oil, garlic salt, add sweet herbs like
tarragon or mint. I wouldn't use both. Try out the mesclun (mixed greens)
mix, some of which have a little bite and are more interesting in texture than
*yuck* iceberg lettuce. We like the swiss chard I grow, as well as red leaf
lettuce & fresh spinach.
Edrena

The Joneses

LP wrote:

> As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. I have never eaten a salad
> (don't laugh!) and I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good. When I
> have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
> ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.
> I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of garlic,
> lemon, bacon, ect.

Who says you need lettuce? You might try jicama (hick a ma) a root vegetable
which tastes sort of sweet-ish. Like a sweet radish without the bite. Peel it
up, slice into thin strips, maybe add some carrots done the same way, throw in
a few raisins, grapes or apples. Slice up some celery, too. This would benefit
from a splash of lemon juice to keep the jicama & apples from getting brown.
Sprinkle same with a little olive oil, garlic salt, add sweet herbs like
tarragon or mint. I wouldn't use both. Try out the mesclun (mixed greens)
mix, some of which have a little bite and are more interesting in texture than
*yuck* iceberg lettuce. We like the swiss chard I grow, as well as red leaf
lettuce & fresh spinach.
Edrena

smithfarms pure kona

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:34:03 GMT, "LP" >
wrote:

>As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. I have never eaten a

salad
>(don't laugh!) and I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good.

When I
>have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
>ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting

stuff.

>I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of

garlic,
>lemon, bacon, ect.
>
>Thanks for the suggestions in advance!
>ASF

If this is your first salad, have a yummy dressing like ranch or even
1,000 island. Don't worry about the fat. (I dislike those low fat
Italian type dressings, personal;ly) You want to love salad because
it is so good for you! Some tastier kinds of lettuce are romaine, red
leaf, butter etc. Iceberg is blah. Add some sliced tomato if you
like tomatoes, add small bits of grated cheese, add any chopped up
fresh vegetable that you like - broccoli, carrots cucumbers, add a
small amount of bacon bits or croutons. Just make it tasty.
aloha, Thunder

http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
smithfarms pure kona

wrote:

>As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. I have never eaten a

salad
>(don't laugh!) and I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good.

When I
>have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
>ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting

stuff.

>I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of

garlic,
>lemon, bacon, ect.
>
>Thanks for the suggestions in advance!
>ASF

If this is your first salad, have a yummy dressing like ranch or even
1,000 island. Don't worry about the fat. (I dislike those low fat
Italian type dressings, personal;ly) You want to love salad because
it is so good for you! Some tastier kinds of lettuce are romaine, red
leaf, butter etc. Iceberg is blah. Add some sliced tomato if you
like tomatoes, add small bits of grated cheese, add any chopped up
fresh vegetable that you like - broccoli, carrots cucumbers, add a
small amount of bacon bits or croutons. Just make it tasty.
aloha, Thunder

http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

A.C.

> As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. I have never eaten a salad
> (don't laugh!) and I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good. When I
> have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
> ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.
>
> I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of garlic,
> lemon, bacon, ect.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions in advance!
> ASF

i'm not even sure why they grow iceberg lettuce. its got to be the suckiest
variety of lettuce around. try some romaine, baby spinach, radicchio,
arugula, or frisee. most grocery stores carry bags of prepackaged lettuce
mixes. try "spring mix" if you can find it. the textures and tastes are
great. my favorite salad is a simple salad with romaine lettuce, grape
tomatoes, sliced red onions and a few cucumber slices with a honey mustard
balsamic vinaigrette.

A.C.

> As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. I have never eaten a salad
> (don't laugh!) and I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good. When I
> have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
> ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.
>
> I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of garlic,
> lemon, bacon, ect.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions in advance!
> ASF

i'm not even sure why they grow iceberg lettuce. its got to be the suckiest
variety of lettuce around. try some romaine, baby spinach, radicchio,
arugula, or frisee. most grocery stores carry bags of prepackaged lettuce
mixes. try "spring mix" if you can find it. the textures and tastes are
great. my favorite salad is a simple salad with romaine lettuce, grape
tomatoes, sliced red onions and a few cucumber slices with a honey mustard
balsamic vinaigrette.

Dan Abel

In article > , "LP"
> wrote:

> have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
> ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.

OK, I'll admit it. I *like* iceberg lettuce! One of my favorite salads,
which I don't have very often, is to make a dressing of catsup, mayo,
chopped hard boiled egg and a little finely chopped onion. I then cut the
lettuce into wedges. I eat this with a knife and fork.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Dan Abel

In article > , "LP"
> wrote:

> have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
> ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.

OK, I'll admit it. I *like* iceberg lettuce! One of my favorite salads,
which I don't have very often, is to make a dressing of catsup, mayo,
chopped hard boiled egg and a little finely chopped onion. I then cut the
lettuce into wedges. I eat this with a knife and fork.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University
AIS

TheCatinTX

We've been eating a lot of Bibb lettuce and baby spinach lately. It's really
nice this time of year.

TheCatinTX

We've been eating a lot of Bibb lettuce and baby spinach lately. It's really
nice this time of year.
The Ranger

smithfarms pure kona > and LP
> commented in message
> > I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good. [..] I have
> > tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. [..]

> [..] Iceberg is blah.

Hey! I *LIKE* iceberg! I use it for salads, sandwiches, and garnish. It's
perfect for allowing OTHER flavors to surface, rather than forcing itself on
the eater. It's a leafy chicken!

That said, I also enjoy arugula, spring mix salads, spinach, green and red
leafs, or Romaine. Butter (or Bibb) lettuce is always too expensive.

If you're looking for a "sweeter" green, spinach or one of the milder leaf
(green or red) lettuces would work nicely. I've made an excellent
honey-based dressing that the family love but it's not fat-free, or even
low-fat.

The Ranger

The Ranger

smithfarms pure kona > and LP
> commented in message
> > I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good. [..] I have
> > tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. [..]

> [..] Iceberg is blah.

Hey! I *LIKE* iceberg! I use it for salads, sandwiches, and garnish. It's
perfect for allowing OTHER flavors to surface, rather than forcing itself on
the eater. It's a leafy chicken!

That said, I also enjoy arugula, spring mix salads, spinach, green and red
leafs, or Romaine. Butter (or Bibb) lettuce is always too expensive.

If you're looking for a "sweeter" green, spinach or one of the milder leaf
(green or red) lettuces would work nicely. I've made an excellent
honey-based dressing that the family love but it's not fat-free, or even
low-fat.

The Ranger

kilikini

"A.C." > wrote in message
> > As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. I have never eaten a

salad
> > (don't laugh!) and I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good. When

> > have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
> > ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting

stuff.

> > I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of

garlic,
> > lemon, bacon, ect.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestions in advance!
> > ASF
> >

> i'm not even sure why they grow iceberg lettuce. its got to be the

suckiest
> variety of lettuce around. try some romaine, baby spinach, radicchio,
> arugula, or frisee. most grocery stores carry bags of prepackaged lettuce
> mixes. try "spring mix" if you can find it. the textures and tastes are
> great. my favorite salad is a simple salad with romaine lettuce, grape
> tomatoes, sliced red onions and a few cucumber slices with a honey mustard
> balsamic vinaigrette.

I had almost that exact same salad for breakfast this morning, but I added
bacon, chicken and I used Ranch dressing.
kili

kilikini

"A.C." > wrote in message
> > As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. I have never eaten a

salad
> > (don't laugh!) and I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good. When

> > have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
> > ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting

stuff.

> > I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of

garlic,
> > lemon, bacon, ect.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestions in advance!
> > ASF
> >

> i'm not even sure why they grow iceberg lettuce. its got to be the

suckiest
> variety of lettuce around. try some romaine, baby spinach, radicchio,
> arugula, or frisee. most grocery stores carry bags of prepackaged lettuce
> mixes. try "spring mix" if you can find it. the textures and tastes are
> great. my favorite salad is a simple salad with romaine lettuce, grape
> tomatoes, sliced red onions and a few cucumber slices with a honey mustard
> balsamic vinaigrette.

I had almost that exact same salad for breakfast this morning, but I added
bacon, chicken and I used Ranch dressing.
kili

PENMART01

>(Dan Abel)writes:
>
>>"LP" wrote:
>>
>> have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
>> ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.

>OK, I'll admit it. I *like* iceberg lettuce! One of my favorite salads,
>which I don't have very often, is to make a dressing of catsup, mayo,
>chopped hard boiled egg and a little finely chopped onion. I then cut the
>lettuce into wedges. I eat this with a knife and fork.

I do the same... served as wedges or thick slices iceberg offers great texture,
with all it's nooks and crannies a perfect medium for dressings to adhere.
Except for it's few dark green outer leaves I rarely use iceberg in a tossed
salad... it seems a shame to tear up the perfectly meshed marbled geometry of a
fine iceberg steak. A slab of iceberg between thick slices of vine ripened
beefsteak tomato, sprinkled with minced green onions, and topped with gushes of
that no-class international orange bottled freedom dressing... no other lettuce
works as well.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>(Dan Abel)writes:
>
>>"LP" wrote:
>>
>> have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
>> ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.

>OK, I'll admit it. I *like* iceberg lettuce! One of my favorite salads,
>which I don't have very often, is to make a dressing of catsup, mayo,
>chopped hard boiled egg and a little finely chopped onion. I then cut the
>lettuce into wedges. I eat this with a knife and fork.

I do the same... served as wedges or thick slices iceberg offers great texture,
with all it's nooks and crannies a perfect medium for dressings to adhere.
Except for it's few dark green outer leaves I rarely use iceberg in a tossed
salad... it seems a shame to tear up the perfectly meshed marbled geometry of a
fine iceberg steak. A slab of iceberg between thick slices of vine ripened
beefsteak tomato, sprinkled with minced green onions, and topped with gushes of
that no-class international orange bottled freedom dressing... no other lettuce
works as well.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Julia Altshuler

LP wrote:
> As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. I have never eaten a salad
> (don't laugh!) and I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good. When I
> have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
> ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.

I don't know what sort of diet or regimen or change of eating habit
you're shooting for so this information about lettuce might be
appropriate or might not. Lettuce isn't necessarily good for you. That
doesn't mean it is bad. Lettuce is nutritionally neutral. It has
crunch, a few vitamins, little else, not even much fiber. Iceberg
lettuce especially is practically like eating water. If you're trying
to get fewer calories but are in the habit of munching on something,
salad is great because your jaws get to work, but your body doesn't fill
up. If you don't like lettuce, go ahead and eat nothing instead.
There's no harm in that.

That said, here are salad ideas that don't concern lettuce.

> Almost any vegetable salad in a vinegar based dressing will do. The dressing is:
>
> vinegar (cider, wine, Balsamic, malt, your choice
> oil (olive, peanut, corn, soy, really anything)
> mustard (must be Gulden's gold, nothing bright yellow in color.
>
> Those are the essential ingredients. Optional ingredients a
>
> soy sauce (also called tamari or shoyu)
> green herbs (tarragon, thyme, rosemary are nice)
> freshly grated ginger (I love that one-- surprising in salad)
> garlic (careful with this one at a wedding reception)
> something sweet (honey, sugar, maple syrup-- only a little here as it changes the character of the dressing)
> sesame seeds
> toasted sesame oil
>

> Keep the dressing separate until the last minute since vinegar discolors green vegetables. You'll also want a starch. Choose from:
>
> pasta
> quinoa
> buckwheat noodles
> rice
> wild rice.
>

> Then go to town with the vegetables. Slice in a variety of attractive ways. Grate one, mince another. Leave some in biggish chunks and others in sizes and shapes in between. Think in categories. Something in the onion family:
>
> onion
> scallions,
> leeks.
>
> Something green:
>
> blanched broccoli
> collards (surprise, but it's good)
> cabbage
> green beans
> snow peas
>
> Everyone loves carrots.
> Fennel is something people don't think of but is very nice.
> Zucchini is good.
>
> Go through the produce section of the supermarket and pick up whatever appeals. Shoot for half starch and half vegetables by volume or err on the side of extra vegetables.

You also need a fresh herb:

parsley
cilantro
dill.

I hope this helps.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

LP wrote:
> [...]

> Then go to town with the vegetables. Slice in a variety of attractive ways. Grate one, mince another. Leave some in biggish chunks and others in sizes and shapes in between. Think in categories. Something in the onion family:
>
> onion
> scallions,
> leeks.
>
> Something green:
>
> blanched broccoli
> collards (surprise, but it's good)
> cabbage
> green beans
> snow peas
>
> Everyone loves carrots.
> Fennel is something people don't think of but is very nice.
> Zucchini is good.
>
> Go through the produce section of the supermarket and pick up whatever appeals. Shoot for half starch and half vegetables by volume or err on the side of extra vegetables.

Puester

LP wrote:

> As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. I have never eaten a salad
> (don't laugh!) and I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good. When I
> have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
> ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.
>
> I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of garlic,
> lemon, bacon, ect.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions in advance!
> ASF

Bibb, butterhead, or redleaf lettuce are nicer texture
than iceberg for salad.

Does it have to be completely fat free? A splash of
olive oil, vinegar, sugar and herbs shaken together
are a tasty dressing to a lettuce salad with chopped
peeled pear, strawberries, mandarin oranges, mango,
peaches, or your favorite fruit instead of the usual
tomatoes, carrot, green pepper, etc.

gloria p

Puester

LP wrote:

> As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. I have never eaten a salad
> (don't laugh!) and I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good. When I
> have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
> ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.
>
> I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of garlic,
> lemon, bacon, ect.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions in advance!
> ASF

Bibb, butterhead, or redleaf lettuce are nicer texture
than iceberg for salad.

Does it have to be completely fat free? A splash of
olive oil, vinegar, sugar and herbs shaken together
are a tasty dressing to a lettuce salad with chopped
peeled pear, strawberries, mandarin oranges, mango,
peaches, or your favorite fruit instead of the usual
tomatoes, carrot, green pepper, etc.

gloria p
WardNA

>a little olive oil

He says he can't eat fat, though.
WardNA

>a little olive oil

He says he can't eat fat, though.
WardNA

>Lettuce is nutritionally neutral. It has
>crunch, a few vitamins, little else, not even much fiber.

It has plenty of fiber.
WardNA

>Lettuce is nutritionally neutral. It has
>crunch, a few vitamins, little else, not even much fiber.

It has plenty of fiber.

The Joneses

>LP wrote:
>As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. ... I would like to
>find a lettuce that tastes good. ...I also know that I need a fat
>free dressing. I like the flavor of garlic, lemon, bacon, ect.

You needs a little fat in yer diet, olive oil is a good one. This ain't
lettuce but it's my favorite cole slaw (that's green right?), published
many places. I like it lots better than bottled cole slaw dressings.
I suppose you could try it with a whisper of garlic, I've not tried that.
*very* high fiber, no fat, lower in salt:
1/2 Cabbage shredded
1 carrot ditto if you got it
Maybe a piece of apple, chopped
Maybe a few raisins
(shhhh, maybe a whisper of a tiny slice of white onion)
Mix:
1/2 cup no fat mayo
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar or cider vinegar (to taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt or substitute
2-3 packages (1 teaspoon?) or more to taste Splenda sweetener
1 teaspoon celery seed
coupla grinds of black pepper
Pour dressing over veggies or vice-versa.

The Joneses

>LP wrote:
>As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. ... I would like to
>find a lettuce that tastes good. ...I also know that I need a fat
>free dressing. I like the flavor of garlic, lemon, bacon, ect.

You needs a little fat in yer diet, olive oil is a good one. This ain't
lettuce but it's my favorite cole slaw (that's green right?), published
many places. I like it lots better than bottled cole slaw dressings.
I suppose you could try it with a whisper of garlic, I've not tried that.
*very* high fiber, no fat, lower in salt:
1/2 Cabbage shredded
1 carrot ditto if you got it
Maybe a piece of apple, chopped
Maybe a few raisins
(shhhh, maybe a whisper of a tiny slice of white onion)
Mix:
1/2 cup no fat mayo
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar or cider vinegar (to taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt or substitute
2-3 packages (1 teaspoon?) or more to taste Splenda sweetener
1 teaspoon celery seed
coupla grinds of black pepper
Pour dressing over veggies or vice-versa.

Jack Schidt®

"A.C." > wrote in message
> > As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. I have never eaten a

salad
> > (don't laugh!) and I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good. When

> > have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
> > ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting

stuff.

> > I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of

garlic,
> > lemon, bacon, ect.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestions in advance!
> > ASF
> >

> i'm not even sure why they grow iceberg lettuce. its got to be the

suckiest
> variety of lettuce around. try some romaine, baby spinach, radicchio,
> arugula, or frisee. most grocery stores carry bags of prepackaged lettuce
> mixes. try "spring mix" if you can find it. the textures and tastes are
> great. my favorite salad is a simple salad with romaine lettuce, grape
> tomatoes, sliced red onions and a few cucumber slices with a honey mustard
> balsamic vinaigrette.

Iceberg lettuce is crunchy and adds that texture thang to a salad. It
should be used that way, kinda sparingly, not at all like the standard salad
the 'merkins are used to.

Jack LettuceAlone (the 'honeymoon' salad)

Jack Schidt®

"A.C." > wrote in message
> > As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. I have never eaten a

salad
> > (don't laugh!) and I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good. When

> > have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
> > ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting

stuff.

> > I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of

garlic,
> > lemon, bacon, ect.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestions in advance!
> > ASF
> >

> i'm not even sure why they grow iceberg lettuce. its got to be the

suckiest
> variety of lettuce around. try some romaine, baby spinach, radicchio,
> arugula, or frisee. most grocery stores carry bags of prepackaged lettuce
> mixes. try "spring mix" if you can find it. the textures and tastes are
> great. my favorite salad is a simple salad with romaine lettuce, grape
> tomatoes, sliced red onions and a few cucumber slices with a honey mustard
> balsamic vinaigrette.

Iceberg lettuce is crunchy and adds that texture thang to a salad. It
should be used that way, kinda sparingly, not at all like the standard salad
the 'merkins are used to.

Jack LettuceAlone (the 'honeymoon' salad)

Josh

Am I the only one who puts pure balsamic on their salad, without any oil? I
love it!

Josh

Am I the only one who puts pure balsamic on their salad, without any oil? I
love it!
Mia

"Josh" > wrote in message
> Am I the only one who puts pure balsamic on their salad, without any oil?

> love it!

Sometimes, especially if the salad includes tomatos, with some freshly
ground pepper...

Mia

Mia

"Josh" > wrote in message
> Am I the only one who puts pure balsamic on their salad, without any oil?

> love it!

Sometimes, especially if the salad includes tomatos, with some freshly
ground pepper...

Mia

Rodney Myrvaagnes

wrote:

>As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. I have never eaten a salad
>(don't laugh!) and I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good. When I
>have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
>ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.
>
>I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of garlic,
>lemon, bacon, ect.
>
>Thanks for the suggestions in advance!

You might like mache for a green. Young bok choy is also very
agreeable without any dressing at all.

If you can tolerate a little olive oil, make a dressing by smashing a
clove of garlic, just cover it wil oil in a little jar (like what
spices come in at supermarkets). Then put in some "balsamic" vinegar
and shake vigorously and pour over the salad, toss.

Other greens are sharper, but often taste good (to me) without
dressing. Belgian endive, arugula, baby spinach, sorrel, radicchio,
tah choy, etc etc. There are others at the greenmarket whose names
excape me.

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opionated old geezer

Faith-based economics: It's deja voodoo all over again
Rodney Myrvaagnes

wrote:

>As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. I have never eaten a salad
>(don't laugh!) and I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good. When I
>have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
>ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.
>
>I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of garlic,
>lemon, bacon, ect.
>
>Thanks for the suggestions in advance!

You might like mache for a green. Young bok choy is also very
agreeable without any dressing at all.

If you can tolerate a little olive oil, make a dressing by smashing a
clove of garlic, just cover it wil oil in a little jar (like what
spices come in at supermarkets). Then put in some "balsamic" vinegar
and shake vigorously and pour over the salad, toss.

Other greens are sharper, but often taste good (to me) without
dressing. Belgian endive, arugula, baby spinach, sorrel, radicchio,
tah choy, etc etc. There are others at the greenmarket whose names
excape me.

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opionated old geezer

Faith-based economics: It's deja voodoo all over again

Melissa Kraus

The Joneses > wrote in message >...
> LP wrote:

[SNIP}]

> > What other saladingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.
> > I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of garlic,
> > lemon, bacon, ect.

> Who says you need lettuce? You might try jicama (hick a ma) a root vegetable
> which tastes sort of sweet-ish. Like a sweet radish without the bite.

[SNIP]
> Edrena

I don't usually like lettuce salads - somehow between the washing and
drying and tearing and finally chewing they seem like too much work.
(Though the salad spinner if fun!) Objectively, the following salads
aren't really a labor or chewing savings, but I like them better.

Two more jicama/salad ideas:
Peel it and cut it into spears, and sprinkle with lime juice and chile
powder and a tiny bit of salt (or dip into a mixture of FF mayo/sour
cream and finely diced canned chipotles with a bit of lime juice).

Peel it and cut it in smallish (1/2") cubes. Mix with quartered
radishes and chunks of supremed oranges and maybe some seedless
cucumber chunks. Sprinkle with lime juice, a pinch of salt and a bit
of chile powder.

Two carrot salads:
Shredded carrots and chopped cilantro (about 1:1 ratio, more or less
either way) dressed with lime juice, a tiny bit of very finely crushed
garlic, s&p, and maybe a drizzle of olive oil if you are so inclined.

Shredded carrots and chopped flat parsley, as above, but substitute
lemon juice for the lime juice.

A cucumber salad:
Thinly sliced peeled seeded cucumbers, a bit of finely sliced red
onion, some very finely sliced/minced hot peppers. Dress with a
combination of rice vinegar and sugar (taste it so it's not too sweet
or too sour).

And finally, if you like sweet, how about fruit salad?

Hope that helps you get started on salad!
Melissa
Melissa Kraus

The Joneses > wrote in message >...
> LP wrote:

[SNIP}]

> > What other saladingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.
> > I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of garlic,
> > lemon, bacon, ect.

> Who says you need lettuce? You might try jicama (hick a ma) a root vegetable
> which tastes sort of sweet-ish. Like a sweet radish without the bite.

[SNIP]
> Edrena

I don't usually like lettuce salads - somehow between the washing and
drying and tearing and finally chewing they seem like too much work.
(Though the salad spinner if fun!) Objectively, the following salads
aren't really a labor or chewing savings, but I like them better.

Two more jicama/salad ideas:
Peel it and cut it into spears, and sprinkle with lime juice and chile
powder and a tiny bit of salt (or dip into a mixture of FF mayo/sour
cream and finely diced canned chipotles with a bit of lime juice).

Peel it and cut it in smallish (1/2") cubes. Mix with quartered
radishes and chunks of supremed oranges and maybe some seedless
cucumber chunks. Sprinkle with lime juice, a pinch of salt and a bit
of chile powder.

Two carrot salads:
Shredded carrots and chopped cilantro (about 1:1 ratio, more or less
either way) dressed with lime juice, a tiny bit of very finely crushed
garlic, s&p, and maybe a drizzle of olive oil if you are so inclined.

Shredded carrots and chopped flat parsley, as above, but substitute
lemon juice for the lime juice.

A cucumber salad:
Thinly sliced peeled seeded cucumbers, a bit of finely sliced red
onion, some very finely sliced/minced hot peppers. Dress with a
combination of rice vinegar and sugar (taste it so it's not too sweet
or too sour).

And finally, if you like sweet, how about fruit salad?

Hope that helps you get started on salad!
Melissa
Erica

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> Who says you need lettuce?

I'm with you there, I love a salad made from sprouts, kidney beans,
chickpeas, whatever veggies you like, and yogurt dill dressing.

The Joneses

Erica wrote:

> "The Joneses" > wrote in message
> > Who says you need lettuce?

> I'm with you there, I love a salad made from sprouts, kidney beans,
> chickpeas, whatever veggies you like, and yogurt dill dressing.

I saw on TV somebody put mint in their yogurt dill, etc. I didn't like
it much. Keep mint for tea.
Edrena

sf

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 00:09:00 GMT, "Erica"
> wrote:

> yogurt dill dressing

Got a recipe to post?