Vilco

Default Chipotle

Are Chipotles those smoked mexican peppers?
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Yes they are smoked jalapenos!! Better, at Trader Joe's you can buy a
small bottle of Chipotle salsa....DELICIOUS but HOT!

Add a tiny bit, just to give it the taste you like....but be careful!
Mike

Leonard Lehew

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 11:20:35 GMT, "Vilco" > wrote:

>Are Chipotles those smoked mexican peppers?

Chipotles are ripe, smoked jalapeno peppers.

Vilco

Leonard Lehew wrote:

>> Are Chipotles those smoked mexican peppers?

> Chipotles are ripe, smoked jalapeno peppers.

Thanks both, so I have 5 or 6 whole chipotles at home
They're dried, very dry, so... some hint/link about how to cook
these nukes?
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Rich McCormack

Vilco wrote:
> Leonard Lehew wrote:
>

>>>Are Chipotles those smoked mexican peppers?

>>Chipotles are ripe, smoked jalapeno peppers.

> Thanks both, so I have 5 or 6 whole chipotles at home
> They're dried, very dry, so... some hint/link about how to cook
> these nukes?

You can coarsely crush or finely grind 'em and then use like
you would use other crushed or ground chiles.

You can make Chipotles en Adobo...

http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/salsas.html

And you can make more when you've used up the ones you got...

http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/hotchile.html

On 2-Feb-2005, "Vilco" > wrote:

> Leonard Lehew wrote:
>
> >> Are Chipotles those smoked mexican peppers?

> > Chipotles are ripe, smoked jalapeno peppers.

> Thanks both, so I have 5 or 6 whole chipotles at home
> They're dried, very dry, so... some hint/link about how to cook
> these nukes?

I use them whereever I want some heat and smokey flavor; great in the bean
pot, stews, chili, etc. I also like just a touch of chipotle in adobo sauce
added to beaten eggs - gives a little twist of smokey heat to an omelet or
scrambled eggs.
The Joneses

Vilco wrote:

> Leonard Lehew wrote:
> >> Are Chipotles those smoked mexican peppers?

> > Chipotles are ripe, smoked jalapeno peppers.

> Thanks both, so I have 5 or 6 whole chipotles at home
> They're dried, very dry, so... some hint/link about how to cook
> these nukes?

I use the powdered in my famous beef jerky. Famous on my street anyhow.
Edrena

Default User

Leonard Lehew wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 11:20:35 GMT, "Vilco" > wrote:
>
> >Are Chipotles those smoked mexican peppers?

> Chipotles are ripe, smoked jalapeno peppers.

Sometimes unripe, they are kind of blond color.

Brian

Cindy Hamilton

Vilco wrote:
> Leonard Lehew wrote:
>
> >> Are Chipotles those smoked mexican peppers?

> > Chipotles are ripe, smoked jalapeno peppers.

> Thanks both, so I have 5 or 6 whole chipotles at home
> They're dried, very dry, so... some hint/link about how to cook
> these nukes?

Soak them in boiling water to cover until they're soft.

If you like, you can remove the stems and/or seeds first.

Once they're soft, chop with a knife, or puree in a blender.
I've got one of those miniature food processors that I
often use for this.

Cindy Hamilton

Nona

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:50:10 GMT, Bob in socal >
wrote:

>I buy cans of "Chipotle en Adobo", put the contents, including
>peppers, seeds and all into my blender, liquify it and keep it in a
>jar in the fridge. A spoonful added to food, as the above poster
>describes, makes for a tasty and distinct flavor enhancer.

I do this too, but usually freeze. How long does it safely keep in
frig?

Nexis

"Vilco" > wrote in message
> Are Chipotles those smoked mexican peppers?
> --
> Vilco
> Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Smoked jalapenos.

kimberly

Vilco

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Soak them in boiling water to cover until they're soft.
>
> If you like, you can remove the stems and/or seeds first.
>
> Once they're soft, chop with a knife, or puree in a
> blender. I've got one of those miniature food processors
> that I often use for this.

Yes, this must be the first thing to do with them, since they're
still whole.
Many thanks to all, looks like I have manychoices now.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Vilco

Default User wrote:

>>> Are Chipotles those smoked mexican peppers?

>> Chipotles are ripe, smoked jalapeno peppers.

> Sometimes unripe, they are kind of blond color.

Well, in effects theyr color is something between blonde and
kaki, sure it is a "light" color, not medium nor dark.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'