WiScottsin

Default Over-chipotle'd

Is it just me or does it seem like chipotle is becoming the new trendy
flavor out there? Everyone seems to have some kind of a chipotle sauce or
marnade or something lately. I even saw a commercial last night for a fast
food chain ( can't remember which one ) that had some kind of chipotle
dipping sauce.

Don't get me wrong, I love 'em!

WiScottsin

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:28:43 -0500, "WiScottsin" >
> wrote:
>
> >I even saw a commercial last night for a fast
> >food chain ( can't remember which one ) that had some kind of chipotle
> >dipping sauce.

> Wendy's. They came out with it about a month ago for their new
> chicken strips, but you can ask for it with the $.99 nuggets too.
> It's pretty good, actually. I don't usually eat fast food much, but
> I'd go back just for this sauce.
>
> >Don't get me wrong, I love 'em!

> I've been doing chioptle in all forms well before they became so
> trendy.

I just invested in a small smoker - I'm planning on making my own chipotle's
as one of my first projects - Lots of jalapeno's from the garden this year.

Jack Schidt®

"Dog3" > wrote in message
02...
> "WiScottsin" > deliciously posted in
> :
>
> > Is it just me or does it seem like chipotle is becoming the new trendy
> > flavor out there? Everyone seems to have some kind of a chipotle
> > sauce or marnade or something lately. I even saw a commercial last
> > night for a fast food chain ( can't remember which one ) that had some
> > kind of chipotle dipping sauce.
> >
> > Don't get me wrong, I love 'em!

> I'm not sure if it's a fad here or not but I am seeing a lot of chipotle

in
> restaurant dishes. I have always used them and I love chipotle salsa and

> make a killer chipotle and white cheddar mashed 'tater dish. I don't know
> if chipotle is just becomming popular here in the midwest or people are
> actually beginning to appreciate them.
>
> Michael

Just another cool thing that's caught on with the g.p. Chipotles have been
enjoyed on this continent wayyy before the white boys even dreamed of
building boats to come here. A couple of years ago it was wasabi; you saw
wasabi mashed potatoes, wasabi this, wasabi that.
What's next? People giving a shit about where their food comes from? And
what's added to it? ahahahahahaha!! sounds like a buncha earthy-crunchy
granola types buying meat and fish in small markets and using unprocessed
ingredients in their cooking. Cracks me up.

Jack Organic

Jack Schidt®

"Dog3" > wrote in message
04...
> "Jack Schidt®" > deliciously posted in
> m:
>

> > "Dog3" > wrote in message
> > 02...
> >> "WiScottsin" > deliciously posted in
> >> :

> >> I'm not sure if it's a fad here or not but I am seeing a lot of
> >> chipotle

> > in
> >> restaurant dishes. I have always used them and I love chipotle salsa
> >> and

> >> make a killer chipotle and white cheddar mashed 'tater dish. I don't
> >> know if chipotle is just becomming popular here in the midwest or
> >> people are actually beginning to appreciate them.
> >>
> >> Michael

> > Just another cool thing that's caught on with the g.p. Chipotles have
> > been enjoyed on this continent wayyy before the white boys even
> > dreamed of building boats to come here. A couple of years ago it was
> > wasabi; you saw wasabi mashed potatoes, wasabi this, wasabi that.
> > What's next? People giving a shit about where their food comes from?
> > And what's added to it? ahahahahahaha!! sounds like a buncha
> > earthy-crunchy granola types buying meat and fish in small markets and
> > using unprocessed ingredients in their cooking. Cracks me up.
> >
> > Jack Organic

> What really bugs me is the way prices reflect fads. Remember when flank
> steak was considered lower than chuck in the quality department? And I

was
> grilling swordfish long before it was 'discovered'. I couldn't believe it
> when it jumped from about $6/lb to over $18. I have always liked wasabi,
> in moderation. I can find chipotle peppers in almost every market here.
> It's a bad sign.
>
> Michael

Swordfish was put on the endangered/fished out list in 98. I'm not sure,
but I think the stocks are back up to par now. Of course, once married to a
price, it's hard for any businessman to climb back down to prior levels.

Jack Monger

Tim Challenger

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:35:16 GMT, Jack Schidt® wrote:

> but I think the stocks are back up to par now.

Jack, you're slipping, you missed the chance of a pun again!
It should have been :
"but I think the stocks[of swordfish] are back up to parr now".

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

C. James Strutz

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
m...

> "Dog3" > wrote in message
> 02...
> > "WiScottsin" > deliciously posted in
> > :
> >
> > > Is it just me or does it seem like chipotle is becoming the new trendy
> > > flavor out there? Everyone seems to have some kind of a chipotle
> > > sauce or marnade or something lately. I even saw a commercial last
> > > night for a fast food chain ( can't remember which one ) that had some
> > > kind of chipotle dipping sauce.
> > >
> > > Don't get me wrong, I love 'em!

> > I'm not sure if it's a fad here or not but I am seeing a lot of chipotle

> in
> > restaurant dishes. I have always used them and I love chipotle salsa

and
> > make a killer chipotle and white cheddar mashed 'tater dish. I don't

know
> > if chipotle is just becomming popular here in the midwest or people are
> > actually beginning to appreciate them.
> >
> > Michael

> Just another cool thing that's caught on with the g.p. Chipotles have

been
> enjoyed on this continent wayyy before the white boys even dreamed of
> building boats to come here. A couple of years ago it was wasabi; you saw
> wasabi mashed potatoes, wasabi this, wasabi that.

> What's next? People giving a shit about where their food comes from? And
> what's added to it? ahahahahahaha!! sounds like a buncha earthy-crunchy
> granola types buying meat and fish in small markets and using unprocessed
> ingredients in their cooking. Cracks me up.

You wouldn't be so amused if you knew what ends up in your food. See the
"meats shouldn't have an ingredient list" thread.

Jack Schidt®

"Tim Challenger" <"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"> wrote in message
s.com...
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:35:16 GMT, Jack Schidt® wrote:
>
> > but I think the stocks are back up to par now.

> Jack, you're slipping, you missed the chance of a pun again!
> It should have been :
> "but I think the stocks[of swordfish] are back up to parr now".
>
> --
> Tim.
>
> If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we

would
> be so simple that we couldn't.

Tim it all ties in with posting on half a cup of java and your sig line.

Jack Awake

Jack Schidt®

"C. James Strutz" > wrote in message

> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
> m...
> >
> > Just another cool thing that's caught on with the g.p. Chipotles have

> been
> > enjoyed on this continent wayyy before the white boys even dreamed of
> > building boats to come here. A couple of years ago it was wasabi; you

saw
> > wasabi mashed potatoes, wasabi this, wasabi that.

> > What's next? People giving a shit about where their food comes from?

And
> > what's added to it? ahahahahahaha!! sounds like a buncha earthy-crunchy
> > granola types buying meat and fish in small markets and using

unprocessed
> > ingredients in their cooking. Cracks me up.

> You wouldn't be so amused if you knew what ends up in your food. See the
> "meats shouldn't have an ingredient list" thread.

Tongue in cheek, my man. I'm not earthy-crunchy, but I do read labels. I
wanted to sarcastically poke at a large portion of folks who have finally
awakened to the reality of processed food. 'Slow food' is a good thing.

Jack Wiseguy

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Dog3
> wrote:
(lots of snippage)

> I like to grill swordfish. A dab of olive oil, S&P and grill it.
>
> Michael

I've never had swordfish. Does it have a sharp taste?
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-10-03; check the PickleHats tab)
Darryl L. Pierce

WiScottsin wrote:

> Is it just me or does it seem like chipotle is becoming the new trendy
> flavor out there? Everyone seems to have some kind of a chipotle sauce or
> marnade or something lately. I even saw a commercial last night for a
> fast food chain ( can't remember which one ) that had some kind of
> chipotle dipping sauce.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I love 'em!

Same here. But, as soon as they came out with the chipotle ice cream, I was
unable to buy it in the store without feeling pretentious...

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/c/mcpierce>

Jack Sloan

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
m...

. Of course, once married to a
> price, it's hard for any businessman to climb back down to prior levels.
>
> Jack Monger

Yep, but I bought gas for 1.26 a gallon at the HEB yesterday.
Jack Petrol

The Joneses

Dog3 wrote:

> "WiScottsin" > deliciously posted in
> :
>
> > Is it just me or does it seem like chipotle is becoming the new trendy
> > flavor out there? Everyone seems to have some kind of a chipotle
> > sauce or marnade or something lately. I even saw a commercial last
> > night for a fast food chain ( can't remember which one ) that had some
> > kind of chipotle dipping sauce.
> >
> > Don't get me wrong, I love 'em!

> I'm not sure if it's a fad here or not but I am seeing a lot of chipotle in
> restaurant dishes. I have always used them and I love chipotle salsa and I
> make a killer chipotle and white cheddar mashed 'tater dish. I don't know
> if chipotle is just becomming popular here in the midwest or people are
> actually beginning to appreciate them.
>
> Michael

To trend or not to trend. Personally, I think spreading around new ideas
about food (and perhaps learning something about a different culture) can
only be a good thing. It's all that eating in fast food joints that's a little
disturbing...snicker. I dread to think of the next fad - perhaps curried
everything?
Edrena

A.T. Hagan

wrote:

>Is it just me or does it seem like chipotle is becoming the new trendy
>flavor out there? Everyone seems to have some kind of a chipotle sauce or
>marnade or something lately. I even saw a commercial last night for a fast
>food chain ( can't remember which one ) that had some kind of chipotle
>dipping sauce.
>
>Don't get me wrong, I love 'em!

Personally, I'm enjoying them. The chipotle sauce at Chik-Fil-A for
the cool wraps is very good. I wouldn't eat them otherwise. Nice to
see some new ideas on flavor coming around. Before if I wanted
chipotle anything I had to make it at home.

......Alan.

Curiosity killed the cat.
Lack of it is killing mankind.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Dog3
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > deliciously posted in
> :
>
> > In article >, Dog3
> > > wrote:
> > (lots of snippage)
> >
> >> I like to grill swordfish. A dab of olive oil, S&P and grill it.
> >>
> >> Michael

> > I've never had swordfish. Does it have a sharp taste?

> No, it depends on how it's cooked. I like it because it is a real nice
> sub
> for a thick juicy steak. Taste wise you can do a lot with herbs and
> seasonings. I would say it has a stronger taste.
>
> Michael

Ba-da-bing. You missed the joke. I thought you were 'sharper' than
than, Michael. "-)
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-10-03; check the PickleHats tab)
Jeff Bienstadt

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, Dog3
> > wrote:
> (lots of snippage)
>
>> I like to grill swordfish. A dab of olive oil, S&P and grill it.
>>
>> Michael

> I've never had swordfish. Does it have a sharp taste?

No, but it's a little edgy...

---jkb
(just sabre-rattling)

--
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie!"
-- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Jack Schidt®

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, Dog3
> > wrote:
> (lots of snippage)
>
> > I like to grill swordfish. A dab of olive oil, S&P and grill it.
> >
> > Michael

> I've never had swordfish. Does it have a sharp taste?

Only on one side ;-P

Jack Wilkinson

Melba's Jammin'

In article > , "Jack
Schidt®" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >, Dog3
> > > wrote:
> > (lots of snippage)
> >
> > > I like to grill swordfish. A dab of olive oil, S&P and grill it.
> > >
> > > Michael

> > I've never had swordfish. Does it have a sharp taste?

> Only on one side ;-P
>
> Jack Wilkinson

That's my boy! You got the joke; I figured Michael for better, lame
excuse about down system notwithstanding. :-)
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-10-03; check the PickleHats tab)
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Jeff Bienstadt
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > In article >, Dog3
> > > wrote:
> > (lots of snippage)
> >
> >> I like to grill swordfish. A dab of olive oil, S&P and grill it.
> >>
> >> Michael

> > I've never had swordfish. Does it have a sharp taste?

> No, but it's a little edgy...
>
> ---jkb
> (just sabre-rattling)

Yuk yuk! Good one, Jeff!
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-10-03; check the PickleHats tab)
Jack Schidt®

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article > , "Jack
> Schidt®" > wrote:
>
> > "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > > In article >, Dog3
> > > (lots of snippage)

> > > I've never had swordfish. Does it have a sharp taste?

> > Only on one side ;-P
> >
> > Jack Wilkinson

> That's my boy! You got the joke; I figured Michael for better, lame
> excuse about down system notwithstanding. :-)
> --

He just needs to eat more fish.

Jack Brainfood

A.T. Hagan

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:20:51 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:

>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >, Dog3
>> > wrote:
>> (lots of snippage)
>>
>> > I like to grill swordfish. A dab of olive oil, S&P and grill it.
>> >
>> > Michael

>> I've never had swordfish. Does it have a sharp taste?

>Only on one side ;-P
>
>Jack Wilkinson

Try eating from the other end.

......Alan. (playing it to the hilt)

Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.

Jack Schidt®

"A.T. Hagan" > wrote in message

> Try eating from the other end.
>
> .....Alan. (playing it to the hilt)

I can see that comedy is your forte.

Jack Foible

The Joneses

Dog3 wrote:

> The Joneses > deliciously posted in
> :
>
> > Dog3 wrote:
> >
> >> "WiScottsin" > deliciously posted in
> >> :

> >> I'm not sure if it's a fad here or not but I am seeing a lot of
> >> chipotle in restaurant dishes. I have always used them and I love
> >> chipotle salsa and I make a killer chipotle and white cheddar mashed
> >> 'tater dish. I don't know if chipotle is just becomming popular here
> >> in the midwest or people are actually beginning to appreciate them.
> >>
> >> Michael

> > To trend or not to trend. Personally, I think spreading around new
> > ideas about food (and perhaps learning something about a different
> > culture) can only be a good thing. It's all that eating in fast food
> > joints that's a little disturbing...snicker. I dread to think of the
> > next fad - perhaps curried everything?
> > Edrena

> Don't get me wrong. I think spreading around the news about different
> foods is great. But I really am not interested in curried corn chips <G>
> Well... maybe. It just seems like everything is taken to extreme.
>
> Michael

Was that <G> for gagging or giggles, works either way. How about
curried cheese dip? Ewww. About as good as liverwurst ice cream.
Edrena running for the pink stuff

notbob

On 2003-10-16, Jack Schidt® > wrote:

> I can see that comedy is your forte.

Yes, a veritable scabbard of rapier wit.

Anyway, getting back to the thrust of the subject, yes, chipotle is
trendy minus 2. It's already fallen from the epitome of way cool
cuisines and is no longer cutting edge Tex-Mex. The Chipotle
Restaurant chain is already slashing the chain and cutting locations
from its roster. It's no wonder, chipotle tasting like au jus of
ashtray.

nb ...thesau-R-us
Jack Schidt®

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2003-10-16, Jack Schidt® > wrote:
>
> > I can see that comedy is your forte.

> Yes, a veritable scabbard of rapier wit.
>
> Anyway, getting back to the thrust of the subject, yes, chipotle is
> trendy minus 2. It's already fallen from the epitome of way cool
> cuisines and is no longer cutting edge Tex-Mex. The Chipotle
> Restaurant chain is already slashing the chain and cutting locations
> from its roster. It's no wonder, chipotle tasting like au jus of
> ashtray.
>
> nb ...thesau-R-us

Touché!

Jack Fence

Jimmy Tango

"WiScottsin" > wrote in message
> Is it just me or does it seem like chipotle is becoming the new trendy
> flavor out there? Everyone seems to have some kind of a chipotle sauce or
> marnade or something lately. I even saw a commercial last night for a

fast
> food chain ( can't remember which one ) that had some kind of chipotle
> dipping sauce.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I love 'em!

I was thinking almost the same thing the other night. Everything seems to
have chipotle in it! A few years back everything was garlic, now it's
chipotle. Oh well, just another trend to get through, I guess.

BOB

Jimmy Tango typed:
> "WiScottsin" > wrote in message
>> Is it just me or does it seem like chipotle is becoming the new trendy
>> flavor out there? Everyone seems to have some kind of a chipotle sauce or
>> marnade or something lately. I even saw a commercial last night for a

fast
>> food chain ( can't remember which one ) that had some kind of chipotle
>> dipping sauce.
>>
>> Don't get me wrong, I love 'em!
>>

> I was thinking almost the same thing the other night. Everything seems to
> have chipotle in it! A few years back everything was garlic, now it's
> chipotle. Oh well, just another trend to get through, I guess.

But what a fad! I've been using garlic and Chipotle (together, too) for so
long that it must be a long-lived fad.

BOB

wrote:

>Is it just me or does it seem like chipotle is becoming the new trendy
>flavor out there? Everyone seems to have some kind of a chipotle sauce or
>marnade or something lately. I even saw a commercial last night for a fast
>food chain ( can't remember which one ) that had some kind of chipotle
>dipping sauce.
>
>Don't get me wrong, I love 'em!

As a side note/question:

I was making a chicken marinade (a tequila/cilantro/chipotle marinade)
today. The recipe called for 1-2 chipotles in adobo sauce. This is
fine (I may add more next time). The questions are 1) How long will
they keep in the fridge (I put them in a gladware container, instead
of the can)? 2) Could I divide them up into packets of a few and put
them in freezer bags and freeze them?

Bob
Rich McCormack

Dog3 wrote:

> What really bugs me is the way prices reflect fads. Remember when flank
> steak was considered lower than chuck in the quality department? And I was
> grilling swordfish long before it was 'discovered'.

I used to buy thresher shark at my local Alpha Beta supermarket when
I lived in Orange County for under a U.S. buck a pound...always got
a chuckle when I'd come across a package simply labeled "jaws" by
some meat packer with a sense of humor. It didn't seem to sell too
well, which was fine with me. Grilled shark steaks, shark kabobs,
shark tacos... Mmmmmm, mmmm...good stuff!

--
Everything that is really great and inspiring is created
by the individual who can labor in freedom.

-- Albert Einstein

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA)

Who is Rich McCormack? Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/
PENMART01

Rich McCormack > writes:

>I used to buy thresher shark at my local Alpha Beta supermarke

Wasn't it a McCormack who is credited as one of the collaborators in the
development of the Thresher.

http://inventors.about.com/cs/astart...Thompson_4.htm

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Jimmy Tango

"Dog3" > wrote in message
2...
> "Jimmy Tango" > deliciously posted in
> nk.net:
>

> > "WiScottsin" > wrote in message
> >> Is it just me or does it seem like chipotle is becoming the new
> >> trendy flavor out there? Everyone seems to have some kind of a
> >> chipotle sauce or marnade or something lately. I even saw a
> >> commercial last night for a

> > fast
> >> food chain ( can't remember which one ) that had some kind of
> >> chipotle dipping sauce.
> >>
> >> Don't get me wrong, I love 'em!
> >>

> > I was thinking almost the same thing the other night. Everything
> > seems to have chipotle in it! A few years back everything was garlic,
> > now it's chipotle. Oh well, just another trend to get through, I
> > guess.

> Garlic? Garlic has been a staple in the kitchen since I was growing up.
> When did garlic become a fad? I musta missed it.

I didn't say that correctly, what I meant was a few years ago (around here,
anyway), everything had some kind of garlic seasoning or sauce to go with
it. I realize that garlic is a staple, just as chipotle and other hot
peppers must be a staple in some cultures. But I live a rural part of the
US, and such *exciting* ingredients are more of a fad, here.

Feel free to pick that apart, everyone.

Sylvia

Definitely chipotle has replaced jalapeno as the
trendy-pepper-of-choice. Personally, I prefer poblanos; chipotle is too
hot for me.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

Rich McCormack

PENMART01 wrote:

> Rich McCormack > writes:
>
> >I used to buy thresher shark at my local Alpha Beta supermarke

> Wasn't it a McCormack who is credited as one of the collaborators in the
> development of the Thresher.

Cyrus McCormack (sometimes spelled McCormick) is credited with
inventing the reaper, a mechanical device for harvesting grain
and other such field crops, in the early 1800s. The reaper
revolutionized the agricultural industry by replacing the labor
intensive, and time consuming, manually operated scythe. As far
as I know, Cyrus doesn't show up on my family tree...

Rich
Jimmy Tango

"Dog3" > wrote in message
01...
> "Jimmy Tango" > deliciously posted in
> k.net:
>

> > "Dog3" > wrote in message
> > 2...
> >> "Jimmy Tango" > deliciously posted in
> >> nk.net:

> >> Garlic? Garlic has been a staple in the kitchen since I was growing
> >> up. When did garlic become a fad? I musta missed it.

> > I didn't say that correctly, what I meant was a few years ago (around
> > here, anyway), everything had some kind of garlic seasoning or sauce
> > to go with it. I realize that garlic is a staple, just as chipotle
> > and other hot peppers must be a staple in some cultures. But I live a
> > rural part of the US, and such *exciting* ingredients are more of a
> > fad, here.
> >
> > Feel free to pick that apart, everyone.

> I have no intention of picking it apart. I'm glad your area found garlic.
> Have you planted any yet? If you don't have a garden, I *think* you can

pot
> it. I do have a small patch out back but not in pots.

Good idea, may have to try that next year! Will save money, too, as two
heads of garlic cost around $1.50 at the store, a little pricey, I think.

> ObFood:
>
> Big knife
>
> Put a chunk of garlic on the cutting board
>
> Slam one of the flat sides of the knife onto the garlic clove
>
> Peel, dice and add to a tub of sour cream or butter.

Another good idea, thanks.

Chipotle and Chipotle tipico desperately wanted (I have falled in love with them!!!!!!!!) Pandora General Cooking 10 06-10-2007 01:58 PM
Pollo al Chipotle (Chipotle Chicken) krusty kritter Mexican Cooking 4 19-04-2005 09:41 PM
Chipotle Vilco General Cooking 13 04-02-2005 11:11 AM
Filete de Res al Chipotle: Filet Mignon with Tomatillo-Chipotle Sauce terrymcintire Recipes 0 18-10-2004 03:27 AM