Ed

Default Chinese noodles for home cooking

Is there any good reason to use "China Bowl select authentic chinese
noodles" sold by Roche Bothers at $2.89 for 10 oz. rather than the
noodles that come in the Ramen noodle soups at about $.30 for 3 ounces
and sold by most everyone? I can't tell the difference between them,
is there any?
David Gallardo

The noodles in packaged ramen noodle soup are fried (that's why you only
need to add hot water to "cook" them); traditional Chinese noodles
aren't. It's a reasonable enough substitute, though not very healthy.

The best thing to do would be to get the noodles at an Asian market.
You're paying a big premium for exoticness ("select authentic") at
Roche--the ones we get at our local Asian market are like 89 cents for a
big bunch.

@D

Ed wrote:
> Is there any good reason to use "China Bowl select authentic chinese
> noodles" sold by Roche Bothers at $2.89 for 10 oz. rather than the
> noodles that come in the Ramen noodle soups at about $.30 for 3 ounces
> and sold by most everyone? I can't tell the difference between them,
> is there any?

Priscilla Ballou

In article > ,
David Gallardo > wrote:

> The noodles in packaged ramen noodle soup are fried (that's why you only
> need to add hot water to "cook" them); traditional Chinese noodles
> aren't. It's a reasonable enough substitute, though not very healthy.
>
> The best thing to do would be to get the noodles at an Asian market.
> You're paying a big premium for exoticness ("select authentic") at
> Roche--the ones we get at our local Asian market are like 89 cents for a
> big bunch.

If you're in Boston, try the Super 88 markets. There's one at Packard's
Corner on Comm Ave, and another down in Chinatown (next to Chau Chow
City restaurant).

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
Mary Malmros

Ed wrote:

> Is there any good reason to use "China Bowl select authentic chinese
> noodles" sold by Roche Bothers at $2.89 for 10 oz. rather than the
> noodles that come in the Ramen noodle soups at about $.30 for 3 ounces
> and sold by most everyone? I can't tell the difference between them,
> is there any?

I'm not familiar with "China Bowl select authentic chinese noodles", but
I'm guessing they're probably dried egg noodles (mein). Ramen noodles
are deep-fried. Besides the grease, they cook quicker. So, you'd have
to adapt your recipe.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Robert La Ferla

Ed wrote:
> Is there any good reason to use "China Bowl select authentic chinese
> noodles" sold by Roche Bothers at $2.89 for 10 oz. rather than the
> noodles that come in the Ramen noodle soups at about $.30 for 3 ounces
> and sold by most everyone? I can't tell the difference between them,
> is there any?

Others have already pointed out that the dry ones are fried. I assume
the other ones are the fresh noodles in a bag. Super 88, Yoshinoya,
Kotobukiya, etc... all sell them. I think they are a little better (if
not healthier) than the dried ones but they get their yellow color from
artificial food coloring. Better ramen noodles have egg yolks. You can
make them at home if you have a pasta machine. They are not only easy
to make (read fast) but delicious and wholesome.