Gary

Default George Forman grill vs. Panini grill

I have been making steaks with a George Forman grill for about a year.
Although I'm O.K. with how they come out, the grill is really not
built for grilling thick steaks. I also have problems with steaks
that have not been cut perfectly evenly, required by the Forman grill.

There is a newer model Forman grill that handles thicker steaks, but
at $100, what a price tag!

Now there are a number of Panini grills on the market. The way they
close, they would handle a thicker piece of food, and wouldn't require
the food to be perfectly evenly cut.

But what about steaks? Has anyone made steaks on a Panini grill?
How do they turn out? How do you find them to use, especially
compared to the Freman? Any recommendations for brands or models?
Pierre

Gary wrote:
> I have been making steaks with a George Forman grill for about a

year.
<snip> Any recommendations for brands or models?

I use a Villaware Panini grill, which looks like an old two level steam
iron, retro and cool to look at. 1500 watts, get fairly hot, comes with
a cleaning tool and drip pan. (Cord storage could be better, as the
clips that hold the cord are too thin for it, resulting in possibly a
frayed cord.) The two heated grates, allow the swivelling top to
conform to the shape of the food. Having the food "uniformly thick"
doesn't really buy you anything, other than better designed grill
marks, it'll still cook the meat properly. If uniform marking is your
goal, just pound the thick section with a mallet and that'll solve that
dilemma.

Personally, I wouldn't cook a steak in it. I want the heat to cook
with, and flavor thats generated generated by a charcoal grill. Fish
and chicken, same thing. (It did make some nice chicken breast
sammiches during a blizzard though.) Mostly, use it for panini with
excellent results. Overall quality good to excellent. Results are
superb.

Pierre

Pierre

Gary wrote:
> I have been making steaks with a George Forman grill for about a

year.
<snip> Any recommendations for brands or models?

I use a Villaware Panini grill, which looks like an old two level steam
iron, retro and cool to look at. 1500 watts, get fairly hot, comes with
a cleaning tool and drip pan. (Cord storage could be better, as the
clips that hold the cord are too thin for it, resulting in possibly a
frayed cord.) The two heated grates, allow the swivelling top to
conform to the shape of the food. Having the food "uniformly thick"
doesn't really buy you anything, other than better designed grill
marks, it'll still cook the meat properly. If uniform marking is your
goal, just pound the thick section with a mallet and that'll solve that
dilemma.

Personally, I wouldn't cook a steak in it. I want the heat to cook
with, and flavor thats generated generated by a charcoal grill. Fish
and chicken, same thing. (It did make some nice chicken breast
sammiches during a blizzard though.) Mostly, use it for panini with
excellent results. Overall quality good to excellent. Results are
superb.

Pierre

Vox Humana

"Gary" > wrote in message
> I have been making steaks with a George Forman grill for about a year.
> Although I'm O.K. with how they come out, the grill is really not
> built for grilling thick steaks. I also have problems with steaks
> that have not been cut perfectly evenly, required by the Forman grill.
>
> There is a newer model Forman grill that handles thicker steaks, but
> at $100, what a price tag!
>
> Now there are a number of Panini grills on the market. The way they
> close, they would handle a thicker piece of food, and wouldn't require
> the food to be perfectly evenly cut.
>
> But what about steaks? Has anyone made steaks on a Panini grill?
> How do they turn out? How do you find them to use, especially
> compared to the Freman? Any recommendations for brands or models?

How about a $20 cast iron skillet or grill pan on your cooktop? Works great
for me.

Vox Humana

"Gary" > wrote in message
> I have been making steaks with a George Forman grill for about a year.
> Although I'm O.K. with how they come out, the grill is really not
> built for grilling thick steaks. I also have problems with steaks
> that have not been cut perfectly evenly, required by the Forman grill.
>
> There is a newer model Forman grill that handles thicker steaks, but
> at $100, what a price tag!
>
> Now there are a number of Panini grills on the market. The way they
> close, they would handle a thicker piece of food, and wouldn't require
> the food to be perfectly evenly cut.
>
> But what about steaks? Has anyone made steaks on a Panini grill?
> How do they turn out? How do you find them to use, especially
> compared to the Freman? Any recommendations for brands or models?

How about a $20 cast iron skillet or grill pan on your cooktop? Works great
for me.

bumblebee4451

I have a Wolfgang puck pannini grill and he shows it making steaks.
They look excellent but I have not tried it yet. Its very much like
the Villawear version.

Anyone tried it?

Of course you can charcoal grill or cook in a cast iron skillet but
that was not the question. The pannini will give the lovely brown
stripes and willl let the fat drip away and will quickly cook on both
sides. I just may try mine tonight with a nice strip steak. And the
pannini grill can also be used for making panninis of course!!!

Judi Mae Phelps

On 17 Jan 2005 10:05:17 -0800, "bumblebee4451"
> wrote:

>I have a Wolfgang puck pannini grill and he shows it making steaks.
>They look excellent but I have not tried it yet. Its very much like
>the Villawear version.
>
>Anyone tried it?
>
>Of course you can charcoal grill or cook in a cast iron skillet but
>that was not the question. The pannini will give the lovely brown
>stripes and willl let the fat drip away and will quickly cook on both
>sides. I just may try mine tonight with a nice strip steak. And the
>pannini grill can also be used for making panninis of course!!!

bumblebee,

I too have a Wolfgang Puck pannini grill and it really does a good job
on steaks as well as hamburgers. Since moving east and going from a
house to an apartment, I do not have the luxury of grilling any more.
I have used strip steaks, T-bone, and filet mignons -- they all have
come out really good. The Puck pannini grill cooks faster than the
George Foreman, is much easier to clean -- the grill plates come out
and you can clean it manually or put it in the dishwasher. However, I
would not recommend doing this to preserve the nonstick finish.

I have not made panninis with mine, but it did a good job of a grilled
cheese sandwich, and French toast.

Judi

Judi Mae Phelps

On 17 Jan 2005 10:05:17 -0800, "bumblebee4451"
> wrote:

>I have a Wolfgang puck pannini grill and he shows it making steaks.
>They look excellent but I have not tried it yet. Its very much like
>the Villawear version.
>
>Anyone tried it?
>
>Of course you can charcoal grill or cook in a cast iron skillet but
>that was not the question. The pannini will give the lovely brown
>stripes and willl let the fat drip away and will quickly cook on both
>sides. I just may try mine tonight with a nice strip steak. And the
>pannini grill can also be used for making panninis of course!!!

bumblebee,

I too have a Wolfgang Puck pannini grill and it really does a good job
on steaks as well as hamburgers. Since moving east and going from a
house to an apartment, I do not have the luxury of grilling any more.
I have used strip steaks, T-bone, and filet mignons -- they all have
come out really good. The Puck pannini grill cooks faster than the
George Foreman, is much easier to clean -- the grill plates come out
and you can clean it manually or put it in the dishwasher. However, I
would not recommend doing this to preserve the nonstick finish.

I have not made panninis with mine, but it did a good job of a grilled
cheese sandwich, and French toast.

Judi

Gary

In researching this further I came across the Cuisinart Griddler. It
looks particularly well adapted toward being both a panini grill and a
steak/chicken/fish grill. Has anyone tried it?