Edwin Pawlowski

Default Martin Miller Gin

I like gin (and tonic) and often try different brands. Hendricks, Tanqueray
Ten, Tanqueray Malacca, Sapphire, all good.

Last week I was in a New Hampshire liquor store and bought a bunch (twenty,
actually) of the little nip bottles to try some new items. Amongst them was
a Martin Miller London Dry Gin. After distilling in England, the spirits
are shipped to Iceland where the final flavor is infused. A secret
ingredient is added.

Miller is the best/worst gin I've had It is the smoothest I can recall, but
I did not care for the taste. I'm not sure just what the over riding flavor
is, but I barely finished my drink. I'm sure many other people like it or
it would not be on the market, but it will not pass my lips again.

Anyone else tried it?
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Jessica V.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> I like gin (and tonic) and often try different brands. Hendricks, Tanqueray
> Ten, Tanqueray Malacca, Sapphire, all good.
>
> Last week I was in a New Hampshire liquor store and bought a bunch (twenty,
> actually) of the little nip bottles to try some new items. Amongst them was
> a Martin Miller London Dry Gin. After distilling in England, the spirits
> are shipped to Iceland where the final flavor is infused. A secret
> ingredient is added.
>
> Miller is the best/worst gin I've had It is the smoothest I can recall, but
> I did not care for the taste. I'm not sure just what the over riding flavor
> is, but I barely finished my drink. I'm sure many other people like it or
> it would not be on the market, but it will not pass my lips again.
>
> Anyone else tried it?

The NH liquor store is an evil place. <g> The prices tempt me to try
things that I'd never purchase otherwise, I read about this in xyz
publication, it got good reviews, and look it's $15 less a bottle than
it is at home next door in Maine, if it can be had at all in Maine where
Allen's Coffee Brandy is king.

I've had the gin in question and agree with you extremely smooth but the
flavor doesn't do it for me. Some of my friends really liked it though.
No arguement from me, I bought a fifth of the stuff.

Jessica
Jessica V.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> I like gin (and tonic) and often try different brands. Hendricks, Tanqueray
> Ten, Tanqueray Malacca, Sapphire, all good.
>
> Last week I was in a New Hampshire liquor store and bought a bunch (twenty,
> actually) of the little nip bottles to try some new items. Amongst them was
> a Martin Miller London Dry Gin. After distilling in England, the spirits
> are shipped to Iceland where the final flavor is infused. A secret
> ingredient is added.
>
> Miller is the best/worst gin I've had It is the smoothest I can recall, but
> I did not care for the taste. I'm not sure just what the over riding flavor
> is, but I barely finished my drink. I'm sure many other people like it or
> it would not be on the market, but it will not pass my lips again.
>
> Anyone else tried it?

The NH liquor store is an evil place. <g> The prices tempt me to try
things that I'd never purchase otherwise, I read about this in xyz
publication, it got good reviews, and look it's $15 less a bottle than
it is at home next door in Maine, if it can be had at all in Maine where
Allen's Coffee Brandy is king.

I've had the gin in question and agree with you extremely smooth but the
flavor doesn't do it for me. Some of my friends really liked it though.
No arguement from me, I bought a fifth of the stuff.

Jessica
notbob

On 2004-12-27, Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

> Miller is the best/worst gin I've had It is the smoothest I can recall, but
> I did not care for the taste. I'm not sure just what the over riding flavor
> is, but I barely finished my drink. I'm sure many other people like it or
> it would not be on the market, but it will not pass my lips again.
>
> Anyone else tried it?

I've never even run across it, and we have BevMo which probably carries a couple
dozen brands of gin. I'll look for it.

My two faves are regular Tanqueray for G&T's and Boodles for martinis and
everything else. I came back to Boodles after chasing the elusive "smooth"
gin to its ultimate conclusion, which is essentially a gin that is so smooth
it has virtually no flavor or character at all. If you're going to drink
gin, drink a gin that is heavy on the juniper berry profile. Otherwise,
what's the point? If one doesn't like heavy j/b, drink vodka. Ice cold
high-end vodkas have no flavor at all.

nb

Stark

In article > , Edwin
Pawlowski > wrote:

> I like gin (and tonic) and often try different brands. Hendricks, Tanqueray
> Ten, Tanqueray Malacca, Sapphire, all good.
>
> Last week I was in a New Hampshire liquor store and bought a bunch (twenty,
> actually) of the little nip bottles to try some new items. Amongst them was
> a Martin Miller London Dry Gin. After distilling in England, the spirits
> are shipped to Iceland where the final flavor is infused. A secret
> ingredient is added.
>
> Miller is the best/worst gin I've had It is the smoothest I can recall, but
> I did not care for the taste. I'm not sure just what the over riding flavor
> is, but I barely finished my drink. I'm sure many other people like it or
> it would not be on the market, but it will not pass my lips again.
>
> Anyone else tried it?

Can't help you on Miller's, but have you tried Plymouth? It's not
considered a Dry gin and the juniper flavor is less pronounced. I
liked it but those who like juniper flavor probably won't.

Fudge

Ah, Orwell's Victory Gin with an oily smell. The secret to a great gin is a
very neutral spirit and the best botanicals. I suspect your bargain gin had
a lack of the later. If it was on sale at a no name liquor store, I would be
suspicious. It would have been prudent to try a small bottle first. Hold you
nose as you drink it or cover up the Victory Gin taste with a strong mixer.

F.J.

notbob

On 2004-12-27, Stark > wrote:

> Can't help you on Miller's, but have you tried Plymouth? It's not
> considered a Dry gin and the juniper flavor is less pronounced. I
> liked it but those who like juniper flavor probably won't.

Exactly! In fact, Plymouth is the gin where I did a U-turn. It cost
more money and has less j/b flavor. Again, what's the point? This is the
trend with all the high-end spirits. Make 'em less intense, lest we should
offend tender young palates. And make 'em more expensive so the young
new image conscious consumer can impress all his friends. Bah, humbug!

nb
jmcquown

Fudge wrote:
> Ah, Orwell's Victory Gin with an oily smell. The secret to a great
> gin is a very neutral spirit and the best botanicals. I suspect your
> bargain gin had a lack of the later. If it was on sale at a no name
> liquor store

(snippage)
> F.J.

The OP *did* try a small bottle, like one of those airline bottles first.
That was the point of trying all the various types of gin. And what the
heck is a no-name liquor store?

Jill

notbob

On 2004-12-27, Fudge > wrote:
> Ah, Orwell's Victory Gin with an oily smell. The secret to a great gin is a
> very neutral spirit and the best botanicals. I suspect your bargain gin had
> a lack of the later. If it was on sale at a no name liquor store, I would be
> suspicious. It would have been prudent to try a small bottle first. Hold you
> nose as you drink it or cover up the Victory Gin taste with a strong mixer.

Who are you replying to? Leave the attributes in, please.

nb
sf

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:01:17 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> And what the heck is a no-name liquor store?

The opposite of a chain, of course! Why that deserves any
scorn is beyond me.

sf

Steve Calvin

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:01:17 -0600, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>

>> And what the heck is a no-name liquor store?

> The opposite of a chain, of course! Why that deserves any
> scorn is beyond me.
>

> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Me too. I'll go to a "Mom and Pop" store before a big chain any time
that I can. I'd much prefer to support the local people versus the
marketing giants.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Fudge" > wrote in message
.. .
> Ah, Orwell's Victory Gin with an oily smell. The secret to a great gin is
> very neutral spirit and the best botanicals. I suspect your bargain gin
> had
> a lack of the later. If it was on sale at a no name liquor store, I would
> be
> suspicious. It would have been prudent to try a small bottle first. Hold
> you
> nose as you drink it or cover up the Victory Gin taste with a strong
> mixer.
>
> F.J.

WTF are you talking about? The No Name gin is one of the more expensive
ones available.
http://www.millersgin.com/

The NH stores are state run, well stocked, carry some of the top brands and
have good prices. Most are the size of a supermarket.

If you read my original post, you would see that I did take a prudent
approach and bought a very small (one drink) sized bottle.

Check the local school system for adult ed. classes. They may offer one for
reading comprehension.

jmcquown

Steve Calvin wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:01:17 -0600, "jmcquown"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> And what the heck is a no-name liquor store?

>> The opposite of a chain, of course! Why that deserves any
>> scorn is beyond me.
>>

>> sf
>> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

> Me too. I'll go to a "Mom and Pop" store before a big chain any time
> that I can. I'd much prefer to support the local people versus the
> marketing giants.

I don't go to the liquor store often, just to buy the occasional bottle of
wine maybe once every couple of months. But the people who work at the one
down the street know me on sight, greet me, let me play with the dog who
hangs out with them, and tell me about things that are on special just in
case I want to substitute. It's definitely not a "chain". If you didn't
know the actual name of the place you'd think it was LIQUOR

Jill

Kevintsheehy

On 12/28, Jill wrote:

>I don't go to the liquor store often, just to buy the occasional
>bottle of wine maybe once every couple of months. But the
>people who work at the one down the street know me on sight,
>greet me, let me play with the dog who hangs out with them,
>and tell me about things that are on special just in case I want
>to substitute. It's definitely not a "chain". If you didn't know the
>actual name of the place you'd think it was LIQUOR

In my state (Oregon), liquor stores are typically dreary, run-
down second or third tier retail spaces staffed - with rare
exceptions - by robotic, sullen dead enders. Some are self-serve.
Most are "tell the clerk what you want and he goes and gets it"
type joints. Clerk won't tell you what's on special. You can read
the sign for that. Clerk won't offer any suggestions - against the
OLCC (Oregon Liquor Control Commission) rules. Stores cer-
tainly aren't supermarket size. More like 1/3 to 1/2 a 7-11 size.
In smaller, rural towns, the liquor outlets are often large closets
tucked in the corner of the local hardware store, pharmacy or
something like that. Prices are fairly high, certainly when compared
with, say, California.

Within about the last year, the OLCC started a test project
authorizing 3 or 4 outlets integrated within supermarkets, but not
based on the California model. The space has to be visually
segregated and separately staffed. I think it has to have its own checkout.
Considerable controversy ensued.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Kevintsheehy" > wrote in message

> In my state (Oregon), liquor stores are typically dreary, run-
> down second or third tier retail spaces staffed - with rare
> exceptions - by robotic, sullen dead enders. Some are self-serve.
> Most are "tell the clerk what you want and he goes and gets it"
> type joints. Clerk won't tell you what's on special. You can read
> the sign for that. Clerk won't offer any suggestions - against the
> OLCC (Oregon Liquor Control Commission) rules.

PA was like that until maybe 1970. What an awful place to visit. The
clerks all passed the Civil Service test to get the job though. Personality
not required.

jmcquown

Kevintsheehy wrote:
> On 12/28, Jill wrote:
>
>> I don't go to the liquor store often, just to buy the occasional
>> bottle of wine maybe once every couple of months. But the
>> people who work at the one down the street know me on sight,
>> greet me, let me play with the dog who hangs out with them,
>> and tell me about things that are on special just in case I want
>> to substitute.

> In my state (Oregon), liquor stores are typically dreary, run-
> down second or third tier retail spaces staffed - with rare
> exceptions - by robotic, sullen dead enders. Some are self-serve.
> Most are "tell the clerk what you want and he goes and gets it"
> type joints. Clerk won't tell you what's on special. You can read
> the sign for that. Clerk won't offer any suggestions - against the
> OLCC (Oregon Liquor Control Commission) rules.

You mean to say, where you live, if I were purchasing (for example) a
particular brand of chardonnay the clerk wouldn't be allowed to say X-brand
chard is on sale for $2 less? And what about someone who doesn't know
anything about whatever they are shopping for, e.g. "I need to buy a bottle
of liquor for my friend/boss/mailman and he/she drinks Scotch but I don't
know what is good?" They couldn't make suggestions? If that's what you
mean, that is just nuts!

Jill

notbob

On 2004-12-29, jmcquown > wrote:

> mean, that is just nuts!

Oregon is one of the coolest states I've ever lived in. Truly progressive.
Makes CA look positively right-wing. But, their liquor laws are truly
Draconian. Almost as bad as The South.

nb
Kevintsheehy

On 12/29, Jill wrote:

>You mean to say, where you live, if I were purchasing (for
>example) a particular brand of chardonnay the clerk wouldn't be
>allowed to say X-brand chard is on sale for $2 less? And what
>about someone who doesn't know anything about whatever they are >shopping for,

e.g. "I need to buy a bottle of liquor for my >friend/boss/mailman and he/she
drinks Scotch but I don't
>know what is good?" They couldn't make suggestions? If that's
>what you mean, that is just nuts!

The state stores sell spirits and miscellaneous booze related
merchandise (cocktail olives/onions, lemons, snacks, novelty
water pitchers, etc.). To address your Scotch for the friend/boss/
mailman comment, the clerks are not supposed to discuss the
merits of brand A versus brand B. The transaction is limited to
you saying to the clerk "I'd like a fifth of Brand A Scotch", he gets
you a fifth of brand A Scotch, puts it in a bag and takes your money.
So, as to this part of your post, ("If that's what you mean..."), that
is what I mean, ("that is just nuts"), I'd use a different word, but
"nuts" will do.

Licensed supermarkets, convenience stores and specialty stores
can sell beer and wine. The clerk is free to say pretty much anything
he or she pleases.

Kevintsheehy

notbob wrote (12/29/2004)

>Oregon is one of the coolest states I've ever lived in. Truly
>progressive. Makes CA look positively right-wing. But, their liquor
>laws are truly Draconian. Almost as bad as The South.

Agreed. In many ways, Oregon's a great place to live, but the
liquor laws are backwards for a place that's otherwise relatively
liberal. Two recent changes, the project to test liquor sales in
supermarkets which I mentioned before and optional Sunday
opening for liquor stores represent the only relaxing of the rules
I can remember in the last 30 years. Liquor store operators oppose
supermarket sales. Relatively few outlets open on Sunday, mostly
because there's not enough business.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Kevintsheehy" > wrote in message

> Liquor store operators oppose
> supermarket sales. Relatively few outlets open on Sunday, mostly
> because there's not enough business.

All sorts of connotations no matter what the state does. They say don't
drink because it is bad for you, but now our stores are open Sunday so you
can buy even more of it.

Small stores don't want the supermarkets to take their business. The number
of sales is about constant no matter how many outlets or how many hours they
are open. So, why add more hours and pay more labor for the same sales?
But if the guy down the street stays open an hour later, I must also.

I've never had a crisis because the liquor stores closed at 8:00 PM or are
not open Sunday. Even the local drunks learned to plan ahead. I prefer the
larger stores as they have a better selection to choose from. The state
controls the price so that is not a consideration in many states.

jmcquown

Kevintsheehy wrote:
> notbob wrote (12/29/2004)
>
>> Oregon is one of the coolest states I've ever lived in. Truly
>> progressive. Makes CA look positively right-wing. But, their liquor
>> laws are truly Draconian. Almost as bad as The South.

> Agreed. In many ways, Oregon's a great place to live, but the
> liquor laws are backwards for a place that's otherwise relatively
> liberal. Two recent changes, the project to test liquor sales in
> supermarkets which I mentioned before and optional Sunday
> opening for liquor stores represent the only relaxing of the rules
> I can remember in the last 30 years. Liquor store operators oppose
> supermarket sales. Relatively few outlets open on Sunday, mostly
> because there's not enough business.

When John and I were in the Quad Cities area (Davenport/Bettendorf, Iowa and
across the river, Moline and Rock Island, Illinois) we went to great lengths
to find a liquor store. He was under the impression we couldn't buy liquor
in that part of Iowa, and indeed, we did not see a liquor store. We must
have crossed the bridges 3 times searching for a store he remembered in
Illinois. Then one of his patrons said, "You do know you can buy liquor and
wine at the grocery store just down the street from where you are staying?"
Could have knocked us over with a feather!

Jill

jmcquown

Kevintsheehy wrote:
> notbob wrote (12/29/2004)
>
>> Oregon is one of the coolest states I've ever lived in. Truly
>> progressive. Makes CA look positively right-wing. But, their liquor
>> laws are truly Draconian. Almost as bad as The South.

> Agreed. In many ways, Oregon's a great place to live, but the
> liquor laws are backwards for a place that's otherwise relatively
> liberal. Two recent changes, the project to test liquor sales in
> supermarkets which I mentioned before and optional Sunday
> opening for liquor stores represent the only relaxing of the rules
> I can remember in the last 30 years. Liquor store operators oppose
> supermarket sales. Relatively few outlets open on Sunday, mostly
> because there's not enough business.

When John and I were in the Quad Cities area (Davenport/Bettendorf, Iowa and
across the river, Moline and Rock Island, Illinois) we went to great lengths
to find a liquor store. He was under the impression we couldn't buy liquor
in that part of Iowa, and indeed, we did not see a liquor store. We must
have crossed the bridges 3 times searching for a store he remembered in
Illinois. Then one of his patrons said, "You do know you can buy liquor and
wine at the grocery store just down the street from where you are staying?"
Could have knocked us over with a feather!

Jill

notbob

On 2004-12-31, Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

> All sorts of connotations no matter what the state does. They say don't
> drink because it is bad for you, but now our stores are open Sunday so you
> can buy even more of it.

The states have discovered a new source of revenue. Drunk driving laws have
become a veritable gold mine. They couldn't give a flying fsck if you live
or die, but there's gold in them thar bills. Here in CA, first time DUI
victims can expect a financial hit as high as $10K. It's no wonder that
with the dramatic increase in DD laws and fines comes an increase in alcohol
advertising and availability. Notice how hard liquor is now being pushed on
tv after a 40yr absence. Coincidence? I think not.

nb
Dave Smith

jmcquown wrote:

> When John and I were in the Quad Cities area (Davenport/Bettendorf, Iowa and
> across the river, Moline and Rock Island, Illinois) we went to great lengths
> to find a liquor store. He was under the impression we couldn't buy liquor
> in that part of Iowa, and indeed, we did not see a liquor store. We must
> have crossed the bridges 3 times searching for a store he remembered in
> Illinois. Then one of his patrons said, "You do know you can buy liquor and
> wine at the grocery store just down the street from where you are staying?"
> Could have knocked us over with a feather!

They are few and far between here in Ontario where they are operated by a
government agency, the LCBO. The LCBO has a pretty good selection to choose
from. Being one of the largest single wine and liquor importers, if has decent
prices (not counting taxes) and a huge list of inventory. If something is not
carried by the local outlet they will order it for you. If it is in stock in the
Toronto warehouse you can order it. Orders in by Monday will be delivered by
Friday.

There is a controversy about privatizing the operation. They have allowed some
corner stores to sell beer, wine and liquor. As predicted by the opponents, the
selection at the small outlets is pitiful.

Grismalkin

>> Liquor store operators oppose
>> supermarket sales. Relatively few outlets open on Sunday, mostly
>> because there's not enough business.

Here in Colorado there is an old "blue law" that prohibits liquour sales on
Sundays. I think the liquor stores like it this way. We can only buy 3.2 beer
or wine coolers at grocery stores. So much for one-stop shopping!

Many of the liquour stores here are run sort of Mom-&-Pop and they seem to have
no other employees than mom and pop. They probably like having one day off a
week.

>All sorts of connotations no matter what the state does. They say don't
>drink because it is bad for you, but now our stores are open Sunday so you
>can buy even more of it.

If I decide to make a certain dish with wine I would like to be able to buy
that wine on Sunday. There have been little burps in the law. A certain
gourmet-type food store can sell Colorado wines on Sundays. We used to be able
to get brew to go on Sundays at the brewpub owned by our now-mayor. We had to
buy a jug and they would fill it.

>Small stores don't want the supermarkets to take their business. The number
>of sales is about constant no matter how many outlets or how many hours they
>are open. So, why add more hours and pay more labor for the same sales?
>But if the guy down the street stays open an hour later, I must also.

Small stores would probably have to charge higher prices than grocery stores.

>I've never had a crisis because the liquor stores closed at 8:00 PM or are
>not open Sunday. Even the local drunks learned to plan ahead. I prefer the
>larger stores as they have a better selection to choose from. The state
>controls the price so that is not a consideration in many states.

I would just like more one-stop shopping. If you're buying things at the
grocery store for a party, why not pick up the wine or other booze there, too?
You can do it in Michigan.

Happy New Year!

Dave Smith

Grismalkin wrote:

> Here in Colorado there is an old "blue law" that prohibits liquour sales on
> Sundays. I think the liquor stores like it this way. We can only buy 3.2 beer
> or wine coolers at grocery stores. So much for one-stop shopping!

No offense meant, but I found Colorado the most depressing place to find alcohol
when I was there a few years ago. We went to a place in Longmont that seemed to be
an old grocery store. There were only 4 or five aisles of stocked shelves and there
was a pitiful selection. I am used to paying $21.95 (Cdn.) for a 36 oz. bottle,
and they were charging $23.95 (US). That was a shocker. A bottle of wine or a 6
pack of beer was $3 more than I am used to paying. And I had thought that our
prices were steep. It certainly made me appreciate our government run stores.

> Small stores would probably have to charge higher prices than grocery stores.

They are probably already doing a higher markup than most corner store items.

Puester

Grismalkin wrote:
>>> Liquor store operators oppose
>>>supermarket sales. Relatively few outlets open on Sunday, mostly
>>>because there's not enough business.

> Here in Colorado there is an old "blue law" that prohibits liquour sales on
> Sundays. I think the liquor stores like it this way. We can only buy 3.2 beer
> or wine coolers at grocery stores. So much for one-stop shopping!
>
> Many of the liquour stores here are run sort of Mom-&-Pop and they seem to have
> no other employees than mom and pop. They probably like having one day off a
> week.

I believe that in Colorado all liquor stores are
independent, i.e. state law forbids an owner from
holding more than one liquor license, therefore
no chain stores and no liquor in grocery stores.
There are a few mega stores, but in general their
prices are not much better than the smaller stores.

When I lived in Massachusetts, you couldn't get a
drink in a restuarant before 1PM on Sunday and
liquor licenses were prohibited within x feet of
a church or school. As late as the 60's (before
the advent of malls), no retail was open Sundays.
The exception was that small stores and druggists who
sold the Sunday newspaper were allowed to open "for
convenience."

gloria p
Puester

Dave Smith wrote:
> Grismalkin wrote:
>

>>Here in Colorado there is an old "blue law" that prohibits liquour sales on
>>Sundays. I think the liquor stores like it this way. We can only buy 3.2 beer
>>or wine coolers at grocery stores. So much for one-stop shopping!

> No offense meant, but I found Colorado the most depressing place to find alcohol
> when I was there a few years ago.

Hah. I guess you've never been to Utah!

gloria p
Greykits

>>>Here in Colorado there is an old "blue law" that prohibits liquour sales on
>>>Sundays. I think the liquor stores like it this way. We can only buy 3.2

>beer
>>>or wine coolers at grocery stores. So much for one-stop shopping!

>> No offense meant, but I found Colorado the most depressing place to find

>alcohol
>> when I was there a few years ago.

>Hah. I guess you've never been to Utah!
>
>gloria p
>
>A long time ago, we were camping by the Disney park in Florida. It was a dry

county, then. Maybe it isn't now. Actually, I wouldn't mind being in Florida
now as it is quite cold here.

Greykits