Bubba

Default Chicken feet/ Pigs feet

Read the posts on the pigs feet....Never found them to be very "meaty",
but the flavor!!!!! What they will do for a pot of beans (or a
cassoulet if you're feeling industrious) is probably a sin. However,
I've also seen chicken feet for sale. I've seen recipes for them but
they really didn't say much about the chicken feet themselves. Do these
things have a flavor? What about the texture? Anyone out there ever
used chicken feet?

Thanks,
Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

George Shirley

I was raised in EAst Texas and lots of very poor people ate pigs feet
and chicken feet. We weren't poor, nor rich either, but didn't eat
critter feet. Well, Dad ate pickled pigs feet but he grew up poor in
Central Louisiana and still thought they were a delicacy.

Tried a chicken foot one time because the neighbors kids were walking
around chewing on them. Boiled IIRC, couldn't get a good bite on it so
gave it back to the kid who gave it to me. Didn't taste like much of
anything but I'm looking back more than 50 years to remember this.

I still don't eat critter feet, not as long as there is prime beef to
eat. Maybe when I get older and poorer, naw!, not even then.

George

Bubba wrote:
> Read the posts on the pigs feet....Never found them to be very "meaty",
> but the flavor!!!!! What they will do for a pot of beans (or a
> cassoulet if you're feeling industrious) is probably a sin. However,
> I've also seen chicken feet for sale. I've seen recipes for them but
> they really didn't say much about the chicken feet themselves. Do these
> things have a flavor? What about the texture? Anyone out there ever
> used chicken feet?
>
> Thanks,
> Bubba

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Bubba
> wrote:

> Read the posts on the pigs feet....Never found them to be very "meaty",
> but the flavor!!!!! What they will do for a pot of beans (or a
> cassoulet if you're feeling industrious) is probably a sin. However,
> I've also seen chicken feet for sale. I've seen recipes for them but
> they really didn't say much about the chicken feet themselves. Do these
> things have a flavor? What about the texture? Anyone out there ever
> used chicken feet?
>
> Thanks,
> Bubba

Is the Pope Polish? <g> The pads of the feet are gelatinous when
cooked to tender. Chicken feet in the soup pot will make the soup gel
when cold (so do chicken wing tips). Not any meat on them to speak of
-- you kind of suck it off the bones.

The best part is if you can grab hold of the tendon that's there at the
end of the foot -- pull it and you can make the foot into a claw that
opens and closes. Great for scaring the little kids in the neighborhood
-- or in your house. Don't fret about where that foot has walked --
there's an outer layer that pulls off like a glove.

I can buy them in a couple places around here; more at the farmers
markets in the summer.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-28-04; Sam I Am! birthday telling.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Bubba
> wrote:

> Read the posts on the pigs feet....Never found them to be very "meaty",
> but the flavor!!!!! What they will do for a pot of beans (or a
> cassoulet if you're feeling industrious) is probably a sin. However,
> I've also seen chicken feet for sale. I've seen recipes for them but
> they really didn't say much about the chicken feet themselves. Do these
> things have a flavor? What about the texture? Anyone out there ever
> used chicken feet?
>
> Thanks,
> Bubba

Is the Pope Polish? <g> The pads of the feet are gelatinous when
cooked to tender. Chicken feet in the soup pot will make the soup gel
when cold (so do chicken wing tips). Not any meat on them to speak of
-- you kind of suck it off the bones.

The best part is if you can grab hold of the tendon that's there at the
end of the foot -- pull it and you can make the foot into a claw that
opens and closes. Great for scaring the little kids in the neighborhood
-- or in your house. Don't fret about where that foot has walked --
there's an outer layer that pulls off like a glove.

I can buy them in a couple places around here; more at the farmers
markets in the summer.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-28-04; Sam I Am! birthday telling.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Bubba
> wrote:

> Read the posts on the pigs feet....Never found them to be very "meaty",
> but the flavor!!!!! What they will do for a pot of beans (or a
> cassoulet if you're feeling industrious) is probably a sin. However,
> I've also seen chicken feet for sale. I've seen recipes for them but
> they really didn't say much about the chicken feet themselves. Do these
> things have a flavor? What about the texture? Anyone out there ever
> used chicken feet?
>
> Thanks,
> Bubba

Is the Pope Polish? <g> The pads of the feet are gelatinous when
cooked to tender. Chicken feet in the soup pot will make the soup gel
when cold (so do chicken wing tips). Not any meat on them to speak of
-- you kind of suck it off the bones.

The best part is if you can grab hold of the tendon that's there at the
end of the foot -- pull it and you can make the foot into a claw that
opens and closes. Great for scaring the little kids in the neighborhood
-- or in your house. Don't fret about where that foot has walked --
there's an outer layer that pulls off like a glove.

I can buy them in a couple places around here; more at the farmers
markets in the summer.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-28-04; Sam I Am! birthday telling.

JJ

Bubba > wrote:

>Read the posts on the pigs feet....Never found them to be very "meaty",
>but the flavor!!!!! What they will do for a pot of beans (or a
>cassoulet if you're feeling industrious) is probably a sin.

Thanks for mentioning this Bubba - I can imagine it and it sounds
good.

> However,
>I've also seen chicken feet for sale. I've seen recipes for them but
>they really didn't say much about the chicken feet themselves. Do these
>things have a flavor? What about the texture? Anyone out there ever
>used chicken feet?
>Thanks,
>Bubba

I worked part time in a Chinese restaurant a couple of decades ago and
the cooks would make a "private" soup that had chicken feet (heads
too) I got to try some and my recollect was that it was alright but
nothing fantastic. I'm speculating that they were put in so as not to
waste anything and also because the bones add a bit to the soup stock,
not for the flesh contribution.

Jay

Arri London

Bubba wrote:

> Read the posts on the pigs feet....Never found them to be very "meaty",
> but the flavor!!!!! What they will do for a pot of beans (or a
> cassoulet if you're feeling industrious) is probably a sin. However,
> I've also seen chicken feet for sale. I've seen recipes for them but
> they really didn't say much about the chicken feet themselves. Do these
> things have a flavor? What about the texture? Anyone out there ever
> used chicken feet?
>
> Thanks,
> Bubba

Never cooked with chicken feet, but have eaten them in Chinese
restaurants. Just a matter of chewing the little bit of meat off the
bones.
Arri London

Bubba wrote:

> Read the posts on the pigs feet....Never found them to be very "meaty",
> but the flavor!!!!! What they will do for a pot of beans (or a
> cassoulet if you're feeling industrious) is probably a sin. However,
> I've also seen chicken feet for sale. I've seen recipes for them but
> they really didn't say much about the chicken feet themselves. Do these
> things have a flavor? What about the texture? Anyone out there ever
> used chicken feet?
>
> Thanks,
> Bubba

Never cooked with chicken feet, but have eaten them in Chinese
restaurants. Just a matter of chewing the little bit of meat off the
bones.
MareCat

"Bubba" > wrote in message
. ..
> Read the posts on the pigs feet....Never found them to be very "meaty",
> but the flavor!!!!! What they will do for a pot of beans (or a
> cassoulet if you're feeling industrious) is probably a sin. However,
> I've also seen chicken feet for sale. I've seen recipes for them but
> they really didn't say much about the chicken feet themselves. Do these
> things have a flavor? What about the texture? Anyone out there ever
> used chicken feet?

I tried chicken feet once, years ago, while having Dim Sum in Houston. Very
little meat, but actually not bad-tasting at all.

Chicken feet are very good for making chicken stock.

Mary

Mikebulka

My mother remembers the days when chicken soup was made with a whole chicken,
killed in the back yard. She says nibbling the feet was her favorite part.

I don't see them in the market very often, but I've used them for stock. Once
tried "buffalo feet" for a party - good for a novelty, but not a keeper.

Duck feet in that licorace sauce at a Chineese place is mostly about the sauce,
and the looks you get from the tourists as you nibble the webs.

Katra

In article >,
Bubba > wrote:

> Read the posts on the pigs feet....Never found them to be very "meaty",
> but the flavor!!!!! What they will do for a pot of beans (or a
> cassoulet if you're feeling industrious) is probably a sin. However,
> I've also seen chicken feet for sale. I've seen recipes for them but
> they really didn't say much about the chicken feet themselves. Do these
> things have a flavor? What about the texture? Anyone out there ever
> used chicken feet?
>
> Thanks,
> Bubba

Again, I pressure cook them...

Add water to cover the cleaned chicken feet, bring up to pressure and
turn down to low for about an hour.

They make the BEST stock IMHO and you can suck the meat off the bones
and it'll glue your teeth together. ;-)

Best thing in the world for arthritis.

And the flavor is fantastic.

Add a little fresh onion, garlic and ground black pepper prior to
pressuring, then salt to taste as you eat them.

K.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Katra

In article >,
Bubba > wrote:

> Read the posts on the pigs feet....Never found them to be very "meaty",
> but the flavor!!!!! What they will do for a pot of beans (or a
> cassoulet if you're feeling industrious) is probably a sin. However,
> I've also seen chicken feet for sale. I've seen recipes for them but
> they really didn't say much about the chicken feet themselves. Do these
> things have a flavor? What about the texture? Anyone out there ever
> used chicken feet?
>
> Thanks,
> Bubba

Again, I pressure cook them...

Add water to cover the cleaned chicken feet, bring up to pressure and
turn down to low for about an hour.

They make the BEST stock IMHO and you can suck the meat off the bones
and it'll glue your teeth together. ;-)

Best thing in the world for arthritis.

And the flavor is fantastic.

Add a little fresh onion, garlic and ground black pepper prior to
pressuring, then salt to taste as you eat them.

K.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Bubba

Bubba wrote:

> Read the posts on the pigs feet....Never found them to be very
> "meaty", but the flavor!!!!! What they will do for a pot of beans (or
> a cassoulet if you're feeling industrious) is probably a sin.
> However, I've also seen chicken feet for sale. I've seen recipes for
> them but they really didn't say much about the chicken feet
> themselves. Do these things have a flavor? What about the texture?
> Anyone out there ever used chicken feet?
>
> Thanks,
> Bubba

Many thanks to all....I knew there were answers out there. I especially
liked Barb's (Melba's Jammin) info on making the claw. With my warped
sense of humor I can foresee some very unusual presentations coming up
at the next get together!!!

Thanks again,
Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Bubba
> wrote:
> Many thanks to all....I knew there were answers out there. I especially
> liked Barb's (Melba's Jammin) info on making the claw. With my warped
> sense of humor I can foresee some very unusual presentations coming up
> at the next get together!!!
>
> Thanks again,
> Bubba

It's especially fun if you're about 10 years old and can gross someone
out with "The Claw". <=8-0)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Bubba
> wrote:
> Many thanks to all....I knew there were answers out there. I especially
> liked Barb's (Melba's Jammin) info on making the claw. With my warped
> sense of humor I can foresee some very unusual presentations coming up
> at the next get together!!!
>
> Thanks again,
> Bubba

It's especially fun if you're about 10 years old and can gross someone
out with "The Claw". <=8-0)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.

MARY1313

My Italian mom used to make them when they could be found.
First, she would hold them over the gas stove flame and burn off the skin and
any feathers.
Then she's put them into the spaghetti sauce for a few hours. They aren't full
of meat, but if you like picking bits off...
The pigs' feet met the same fate--into the sauce.
--Mary