Pierre

Default Chicken stock using feet. How many feet?

Layed my hands on 22 pounds of chicken feet to make some lovely
gelatinous stock.

I've got a 20 quart stock pot, and would like to come away with about 2
gallons of good rich stock. I'll be roasting the feet first, for some
extra flavor. . .does anyone know about how many feet to use?

Pierre

Katra

In article .com>,
"Pierre" > wrote:

> Layed my hands on 22 pounds of chicken feet to make some lovely
> gelatinous stock.
>
> I've got a 20 quart stock pot, and would like to come away with about 2
> gallons of good rich stock. I'll be roasting the feet first, for some
> extra flavor. . .does anyone know about how many feet to use?
>
> Pierre

I'd not roast them... It'll dry them out too much.

I personally like to use about 20 feet per gallon.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada

Sheldon

Katra wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Pierre" > wrote:
>
> > Layed my hands on 22 pounds of chicken feet to make some lovely
> > gelatinous stock.
> >
> > I've got a 20 quart stock pot, and would like to come away with

about 2
> > gallons of good rich stock. I'll be roasting the feet first, for

some
> > extra flavor. . .does anyone know about how many feet to use?
> >
> > Pierre
> >

> I'd not roast them... It'll dry them out too much.
>
> I personally like to use about 20 feet per gallon.

Hmm, that seems like a lotta feet, yards of em. My grandmothger would
add the feet to her chicken stock. She'd use a whole stewing fowl, it
only had two feet. I can't imagine making stock from jsut feet. What
is the equivalent in emu feet? Not that I know of any emus around
here, just curious... I wonder how emu stock would compare.

Pierre

Sheldon wrote:

> Hmm, that seems like a lotta feet, yards of em. My grandmothger

would
> add the feet to her chicken stock. She'd use a whole stewing fowl,

it
> only had two feet. I can't imagine making stock from jsut feet.

What
> is the equivalent in emu feet? Not that I know of any emus around
> here, just curious... I wonder how emu stock would compare.

Well, I've made emu stock, and it used 3 emu feet per gallon. Great
results. Boiled up nicely, and give the emu feet the highest rating.
.. . .would trade again.

Pierre

Pixmaker

Sounds to me like truely terrible mileage!

Pixmaker in FLL
==========================
It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
==========================
(...Think the humidity's bad?
You should watch us vote!)

Katra

In article . com>,
"Pierre" > wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
>

> > Hmm, that seems like a lotta feet, yards of em. My grandmothger

> would
> > add the feet to her chicken stock. She'd use a whole stewing fowl,

> it
> > only had two feet. I can't imagine making stock from jsut feet.

> What
> > is the equivalent in emu feet? Not that I know of any emus around
> > here, just curious... I wonder how emu stock would compare.

> Well, I've made emu stock, and it used 3 emu feet per gallon. Great
> results. Boiled up nicely, and give the emu feet the highest rating.
> . . .would trade again.
>
> Pierre

Ugh. I love chicken and duck feet, but when we tried doing emu feet,
they just had a wierd taste and smell to them! Was unable to eat them...
They tasted kinda like the emu smelled when we were butchering it.
Like the odor from it's anal glands.

How did you get around that? I never did emu feet again after that!
Now I roast them and turn them into dog chewies. ;-)

Emu bone stock OTHO is the gods... :-d
So is emu jerky.

I'll use 20 to 30 chicken feet per pot and my pressure cooker I think is
a 6 Liter/Quart.

Chicken Feet The Wolf Asian Cooking 7 24-05-2010 10:42 AM
Chicken Feet Stock Sharon C General Cooking 133 05-03-2010 08:29 PM
Beef feet for stock Omelet General Cooking 2 02-01-2007 04:51 PM
Chicken feet for stock LurfysMa General Cooking 31 31-10-2005 11:51 PM
Chicken feet/ Pigs feet Bubba General Cooking 17 04-12-2004 06:51 PM