JJ

Default pigs feet

Well I learned some stuff today.

Several days ago, while getting turkeyday stuff, a package of pigs
feet on clearance caught my eye. Heck $1.80 usd (greenback is
dropping in value - doesn't deserve CAPITAL letters) is worth it for 3
succulent pigs feet.

Of course I had pretty much zero oink hoof cooking experience, so as
soon as I get home I'm checking out some recipes.

I notice 2 things. First, the word "jellied" is found in most oink
hoof recipes. Second, the recipes that involve grilling them also
call for soaking them for quite a while before hand.

I decide to spread my bets (I live in Vegas) and crock pot 1 of them
and grill 2 of them. I brine one of them and soy/garlic marinade the
other.

The crock pot I put in the fridge so I can peel off the fat later.
Whoa, pig jello!

The 2 grilled footies look/feel kinda tough - makes sense as the feet
still have the pig skin on and are now very hard and stiff.

I peck at it for a bit and figure I'll reunite it with the lonely one
in the crock pot and give em all some hot tub time.

Tomorrow I'll peck at em again but they are not looking very yummy
anymore.

I bow in deference to those who have cooked the piggie feet and
dropped the hints - hints that I missed.

Jay the Pig
Katra

In article >,
(JJ) wrote:

> Well I learned some stuff today.
>
> Several days ago, while getting turkeyday stuff, a package of pigs
> feet on clearance caught my eye. Heck $1.80 usd (greenback is
> dropping in value - doesn't deserve CAPITAL letters) is worth it for 3
> succulent pigs feet.
>
> Of course I had pretty much zero oink hoof cooking experience, so as
> soon as I get home I'm checking out some recipes.
>
> I notice 2 things. First, the word "jellied" is found in most oink
> hoof recipes. Second, the recipes that involve grilling them also
> call for soaking them for quite a while before hand.
>
> I decide to spread my bets (I live in Vegas) and crock pot 1 of them
> and grill 2 of them. I brine one of them and soy/garlic marinade the
> other.
>
> The crock pot I put in the fridge so I can peel off the fat later.
> Whoa, pig jello!
>
> The 2 grilled footies look/feel kinda tough - makes sense as the feet
> still have the pig skin on and are now very hard and stiff.
>
> I peck at it for a bit and figure I'll reunite it with the lonely one
> in the crock pot and give em all some hot tub time.
>
> Tomorrow I'll peck at em again but they are not looking very yummy
> anymore.
>
> I bow in deference to those who have cooked the piggie feet and
> dropped the hints - hints that I missed.
>
> Jay the Pig

I use a pressure cooker for pigs feet...

I'll put 4 whole feet into the pot and put in just enough water to cover
it. Add ground pepper, one whole onion and 6 cloves of garlic, and a
couple of stalks of chopped celery.

Bring up to pressure then turn down to low and allow to pressure for 60
to 90 minutes.

Allow to cool then strain, debone and add the jelly back to the broth
and veggies.

Make a pot of white navy beans separately, then add those to the pork
broth and meat mix.

Bring up to a rolling boil, then turn off.

Enjoy!

Piggy feet are also good by themselves without the beans.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Katra

In article >,
(JJ) wrote:

> Well I learned some stuff today.
>
> Several days ago, while getting turkeyday stuff, a package of pigs
> feet on clearance caught my eye. Heck $1.80 usd (greenback is
> dropping in value - doesn't deserve CAPITAL letters) is worth it for 3
> succulent pigs feet.
>
> Of course I had pretty much zero oink hoof cooking experience, so as
> soon as I get home I'm checking out some recipes.
>
> I notice 2 things. First, the word "jellied" is found in most oink
> hoof recipes. Second, the recipes that involve grilling them also
> call for soaking them for quite a while before hand.
>
> I decide to spread my bets (I live in Vegas) and crock pot 1 of them
> and grill 2 of them. I brine one of them and soy/garlic marinade the
> other.
>
> The crock pot I put in the fridge so I can peel off the fat later.
> Whoa, pig jello!
>
> The 2 grilled footies look/feel kinda tough - makes sense as the feet
> still have the pig skin on and are now very hard and stiff.
>
> I peck at it for a bit and figure I'll reunite it with the lonely one
> in the crock pot and give em all some hot tub time.
>
> Tomorrow I'll peck at em again but they are not looking very yummy
> anymore.
>
> I bow in deference to those who have cooked the piggie feet and
> dropped the hints - hints that I missed.
>
> Jay the Pig

I use a pressure cooker for pigs feet...

I'll put 4 whole feet into the pot and put in just enough water to cover
it. Add ground pepper, one whole onion and 6 cloves of garlic, and a
couple of stalks of chopped celery.

Bring up to pressure then turn down to low and allow to pressure for 60
to 90 minutes.

Allow to cool then strain, debone and add the jelly back to the broth
and veggies.

Make a pot of white navy beans separately, then add those to the pork
broth and meat mix.

Bring up to a rolling boil, then turn off.

Enjoy!

Piggy feet are also good by themselves without the beans.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
res0f8mp

nail them to a shingle, bake at 500 for an hour ,toss the feet, eat the
shingle.

"JJ" > wrote in message
> Well I learned some stuff today.
>
> Several days ago, while getting turkeyday stuff, a package of pigs
> feet on clearance caught my eye. Heck $1.80 usd (greenback is
> dropping in value - doesn't deserve CAPITAL letters) is worth it for 3
> succulent pigs feet.
>
> Of course I had pretty much zero oink hoof cooking experience, so as
> soon as I get home I'm checking out some recipes.
>
> I notice 2 things. First, the word "jellied" is found in most oink
> hoof recipes. Second, the recipes that involve grilling them also
> call for soaking them for quite a while before hand.
>
> I decide to spread my bets (I live in Vegas) and crock pot 1 of them
> and grill 2 of them. I brine one of them and soy/garlic marinade the
> other.
>
> The crock pot I put in the fridge so I can peel off the fat later.
> Whoa, pig jello!
>
> The 2 grilled footies look/feel kinda tough - makes sense as the feet
> still have the pig skin on and are now very hard and stiff.
>
> I peck at it for a bit and figure I'll reunite it with the lonely one
> in the crock pot and give em all some hot tub time.
>
> Tomorrow I'll peck at em again but they are not looking very yummy
> anymore.
>
> I bow in deference to those who have cooked the piggie feet and
> dropped the hints - hints that I missed.
>
> Jay the Pig

TheCatinTX

Pickled pigs feet are also good.

Victor Sack

JJ > wrote:

> The 2 grilled footies look/feel kinda tough - makes sense as the feet
> still have the pig skin on and are now very hard and stiff.

Pig's trotters have to be cooked for a long time, even if they are going
to be grilled eventually. Classic French recipes, e.g. Bocuse's, call
for braising them on low heat for up to ten hours. Front trotters are
considered much superior to hind ones. In order to prevent them falling
apart during such a long cooking, they are individually wrapped in linen
cloth and tied with twine. Then they are slowly braised, covered,
together with vegetables, white wine, and spices, for a long time. Then
they are unwrapped, smothered with butter and rolled in breadcrumbs.
Then they are slowly grilled. Serve with rémoulade or béarnaise, or
just with mustard. Very tasty.

Victor
RobinB.

"TheCatinTX" > wrote in message
> Pickled pigs feet are also good.

Yum!! A guilty pleasure of my mom and me. I have her over for a weekend
and we go crazy. I have finally perfected them and they are just the way my
grandfather made them. Come to think of it....it may be time. Just like
sushi -- once I get it in my head.............Robin

Virginia Tadrzynski

"JJ" > wrote in message
> Well I learned some stuff today.
>
> Several days ago, while getting turkeyday stuff, a package of pigs
> feet on clearance caught my eye. Heck $1.80 usd (greenback is
> dropping in value - doesn't deserve CAPITAL letters) is worth it for 3
> succulent pigs feet.
>
> Of course I had pretty much zero oink hoof cooking experience, so as
> soon as I get home I'm checking out some recipes.
>
> I notice 2 things. First, the word "jellied" is found in most oink
> hoof recipes. Second, the recipes that involve grilling them also
> call for soaking them for quite a while before hand.
>
> I decide to spread my bets (I live in Vegas) and crock pot 1 of them
> and grill 2 of them. I brine one of them and soy/garlic marinade the
> other.
>
> The crock pot I put in the fridge so I can peel off the fat later.
> Whoa, pig jello!
>
> The 2 grilled footies look/feel kinda tough - makes sense as the feet
> still have the pig skin on and are now very hard and stiff.
>
> I peck at it for a bit and figure I'll reunite it with the lonely one
> in the crock pot and give em all some hot tub time.
>
> Tomorrow I'll peck at em again but they are not looking very yummy
> anymore.
>
> I bow in deference to those who have cooked the piggie feet and
> dropped the hints - hints that I missed.
>
> Jay the Pig

My dad used to love those things. He preferred those soaking in pickling
spices. Me, heck, I just prefer to call a store and ask if they have
any.....if they say aye, yup.....I tell them they look flattering in
sandals.
-Ginny

Virginia Tadrzynski

"JJ" > wrote in message
> Well I learned some stuff today.
>
> Several days ago, while getting turkeyday stuff, a package of pigs
> feet on clearance caught my eye. Heck $1.80 usd (greenback is
> dropping in value - doesn't deserve CAPITAL letters) is worth it for 3
> succulent pigs feet.
>
> Of course I had pretty much zero oink hoof cooking experience, so as
> soon as I get home I'm checking out some recipes.
>
> I notice 2 things. First, the word "jellied" is found in most oink
> hoof recipes. Second, the recipes that involve grilling them also
> call for soaking them for quite a while before hand.
>
> I decide to spread my bets (I live in Vegas) and crock pot 1 of them
> and grill 2 of them. I brine one of them and soy/garlic marinade the
> other.
>
> The crock pot I put in the fridge so I can peel off the fat later.
> Whoa, pig jello!
>
> The 2 grilled footies look/feel kinda tough - makes sense as the feet
> still have the pig skin on and are now very hard and stiff.
>
> I peck at it for a bit and figure I'll reunite it with the lonely one
> in the crock pot and give em all some hot tub time.
>
> Tomorrow I'll peck at em again but they are not looking very yummy
> anymore.
>
> I bow in deference to those who have cooked the piggie feet and
> dropped the hints - hints that I missed.
>
> Jay the Pig

My dad used to love those things. He preferred those soaking in pickling
spices. Me, heck, I just prefer to call a store and ask if they have
any.....if they say aye, yup.....I tell them they look flattering in
sandals.
-Ginny

ItsJoanNotJoAnn

I have only had them one time and perhaps they were the back feet as
someone here said the front feet were better, but I was not impressed.
They were sooooooooo greasy and had about one teaspoon per foot of
lean meat. It was not worth my effort and couldn't see what all the
raving was about. Greasy, 99% fat meat is not my idea a great meal.

JJ

Well I'd like to report back on my first pig foot eating experience.

<drum roll....>

<envelope opening>

<reading>

<more drum roll...>

Sorry, I guess I am not a pig foot type of person. I'm not sure if I
had front or back feet. (city boy)

I first tried the plain foot that had gotten about 12 hours of crock
pot time. As expected it was practically falling apart. Ah, I get
it now, the bones seem to mostly surround a gelatinous core.
Yup, not a whole lot of meat. Interesting texture. I guess this
should be considered more of a canvas for spices. The skin was really
soft and blubbery - not a plus for me.

Next I tried the soy/garlic marinade one that had been grilled and
then crock potted for about 4 hours. Much firmer, definitely more
flavor both from the marinade and the grilling.

The last one was the salt brined then grilled then crockpotted one.
Kinda in between the plain crocked and the soy/garlic one in flavor
intensity - makes sense.

I'm burying the remains in the back yard to confuse the CSIs. :-)

As a couple of people have mentioned, they go well with beans. I can
see this - the cartile-gelatinous stuff could add a "silky" texture to
simmered beans.

I'll keep an open mind about piggie feet. They weren't gross or
disgusting to me but I can't see them being the focal point of a meal.
Should the opportunity to taste the efforts of an experienced pig foot
cooker come up, I'd take it.

I'm going to be fooling around with a dutch oven this winter so maybe
I'll try beans and trotters.

Jay the Pig
ilaboo

ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
> I have only had them one time and perhaps they were the back feet as
> someone here said the front feet were better, but I was not impressed.
> They were sooooooooo greasy and had about one teaspoon per foot of
> lean meat. It was not worth my effort and couldn't see what all the
> raving was about. Greasy, 99% fat meat is not my idea a great meal.

you have to be in a red neck bar and have a high blood alcohol level to
appreciate the taste--same for turky gizzasrds and from what i
understand brains ( found someone told me in some europeon bars)
No One

Ae you sure you're not confusing greasy with gelatinous? There is some fat
on them but I've never found "skin" to be fat and have never seen oodles of
fat as you describe even after they have cooked for a long time. I love
them in Pasta E Fajoli.
--------------------------------------
"ilaboo" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
> > I have only had them one time and perhaps they were the back feet as
> > someone here said the front feet were better, but I was not impressed.
> > They were sooooooooo greasy and had about one teaspoon per foot of
> > lean meat. It was not worth my effort and couldn't see what all the
> > raving was about. Greasy, 99% fat meat is not my idea a great meal.

> you have to be in a red neck bar and have a high blood alcohol level to
> appreciate the taste--same for turky gizzasrds and from what i
> understand brains ( found someone told me in some europeon bars)

No One

Ae you sure you're not confusing greasy with gelatinous? There is some fat
on them but I've never found "skin" to be fat and have never seen oodles of
fat as you describe even after they have cooked for a long time. I love
them in Pasta E Fajoli.
nk.net...