Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Rick & Cyndi

Default Help needed with shaping bagels

<circe @nospam.internet.look.ca> wrote in message
: Made bagels for the first time today and they came out of the
oven
: looking more like doughnut-store honey crullers than bagels.
:
: I had a lot of problems getting the dough to stick to itself
when
: kneading them, and joining the ends when making a long rope of
dough.
: In fact one came out of the oven looking more like a croissant
than a
: bagel!
:
: What did I do wrong? How can I avoid this in future?
:
: And one more question - next time I make them, I'd like to
double the
: recipe and freeze half. This recipe called for one envelope of
yeast
: and three cups of flour. Is it necessary to use two envelopes
of yeast
: to six cups of flour or can I get away with just one envelope?
:
: Circe
=============

Making "ropes" is part of the problem. You may find it easier to
shape pieces into balls, then flatten and then poke a hole in the
middle. That's how I do mine and they're usually pretty normal
looking bagels.

I would stick to the 1:3 ratio. If you want to double it - then
double it (2:6) and just freeze them. Bagels freeze very nicely.
--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Bagels Corey Richardson[_3_] General Cooking 42 07-10-2008 04:39 PM
Shaping Boules Todd K. Sourdough 9 14-02-2006 05:03 PM
Bagels Tim Recipes 0 10-06-2005 12:23 PM
dough shaping Alan Baking 9 19-12-2003 04:42 PM