Lynn Gifford

Default Help needed with shaping bagels

"Phil(NM)" > wrote in message >...
> Which recipe did you use? Care to post it?
> Thanks.
>
> circe, @nospam.internet.look.ca wrote:
> >
> > Made bagels for the first time today and they came out of the oven
> > looking more like doughnut-store honey crullers than bagels.
> >
> > I had a lot of problems getting the dough to stick to itself when
> > kneading them, and joining the ends when making a long rope of dough.
> > In fact one came out of the oven looking more like a croissant than a
> > bagel!
> >
> > What did I do wrong? How can I avoid this in future?
> >
> > And one more question - next time I make them, I'd like to double the
> > recipe and freeze half. This recipe called for one envelope of yeast
> > and three cups of flour. Is it necessary to use two envelopes of yeast
> > to six cups of flour or can I get away with just one envelope?
> >
> > Circe

I think you need lots of yeast because the bagels still have to rise
AFTER you boil them. Also, I am *NOT a great baker BUT when I make
bagels, I roll the dough into a ball in my hands (like when you shape
buns) and poke ny finger through it to make the middle hole.
Lynn from Fargo
*(Baking requires measuring . . .)