Rick & Cyndi

Default Help needed with shaping bagels

<circe @nospam.internet.look.ca> wrote in message
: Made bagels for the first time today and they came out of the
oven
: looking more like doughnut-store honey crullers than bagels.
:
: I had a lot of problems getting the dough to stick to itself
when
: kneading them, and joining the ends when making a long rope of
dough.
: In fact one came out of the oven looking more like a croissant
than a
: bagel!
:
: What did I do wrong? How can I avoid this in future?
:
: And one more question - next time I make them, I'd like to
double the
: recipe and freeze half. This recipe called for one envelope of
yeast
: and three cups of flour. Is it necessary to use two envelopes
of yeast
: to six cups of flour or can I get away with just one envelope?
:
: Circe
=============

Making "ropes" is part of the problem. You may find it easier to
shape pieces into balls, then flatten and then poke a hole in the
middle. That's how I do mine and they're usually pretty normal
looking bagels.

I would stick to the 1:3 ratio. If you want to double it - then
double it (2:6) and just freeze them. Bagels freeze very nicely.
--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Phil(NM)

Which recipe did you use? Care to post it?
Thanks.

circe, @nospam.internet.look.ca wrote:

> Made bagels for the first time today and they came out of the oven
> looking more like doughnut-store honey crullers than bagels.
>
> I had a lot of problems getting the dough to stick to itself when
> kneading them, and joining the ends when making a long rope of dough.
> In fact one came out of the oven looking more like a croissant than a
> bagel!
>
> What did I do wrong? How can I avoid this in future?
>
> And one more question - next time I make them, I'd like to double the
> recipe and freeze half. This recipe called for one envelope of yeast
> and three cups of flour. Is it necessary to use two envelopes of yeast
> to six cups of flour or can I get away with just one envelope?
>
> Circe

Lynn Gifford

"Phil(NM)" > wrote in message >...
> Which recipe did you use? Care to post it?
> Thanks.
>
> circe, @nospam.internet.look.ca wrote:
> >
> > Made bagels for the first time today and they came out of the oven
> > looking more like doughnut-store honey crullers than bagels.
> >
> > I had a lot of problems getting the dough to stick to itself when
> > kneading them, and joining the ends when making a long rope of dough.
> > In fact one came out of the oven looking more like a croissant than a
> > bagel!
> >
> > What did I do wrong? How can I avoid this in future?
> >
> > And one more question - next time I make them, I'd like to double the
> > recipe and freeze half. This recipe called for one envelope of yeast
> > and three cups of flour. Is it necessary to use two envelopes of yeast
> > to six cups of flour or can I get away with just one envelope?
> >
> > Circe

I think you need lots of yeast because the bagels still have to rise
AFTER you boil them. Also, I am *NOT a great baker BUT when I make
bagels, I roll the dough into a ball in my hands (like when you shape
buns) and poke ny finger through it to make the middle hole.
Lynn from Fargo
*(Baking requires measuring . . .)
Loki

il 16 Feb 2004 11:46:44 -0800, (Lynn Gifford) ha
scritto:

> I think you need lots of yeast because the bagels still have to rise
> AFTER you boil them. Also, I am *NOT a great baker BUT when I make
> bagels, I roll the dough into a ball in my hands (like when you shape
> buns) and poke ny finger through it to make the middle hole.
> Lynn from Fargo
> *(Baking requires measuring . . .)

This is in my Better Homes and Garden's Homemade bread cookbook
c.1973.

4 1/4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 packages active dry yeast (any one know what those weigh?)
1 1/2 cups warm water (110°)- °F I guess
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt

In large mixer bowl combine 11/2 cups flour and the yeast.

Combine water sugar and salt. Add to dry mixture in mixer bowl.

Beat at low speed 1/2 minute. (...I wish - I use even slower hand and
spoon)

Beat 3 mins. at high speed (.. ya gotta be kidding!)

By hand stir in the rest of the flour to make a moderately stiff
dough. (that I can do )

Turn out (yaddayadda)
Knead till smooth and elastic (8-10 mins)

Cover, let rest 15 mins. (Is this for the dough or the baker?)

Cut into 12 portions, *shape* into smooth balls. i(my hilite)i
Punch hole in middle, enlarge hole by pulling it. Cover, let rise 20
mins
(optional - broil (grill) a bit for smooth glossy surface on an
ungreased tray)

In simmering sugared water (1 gal :1TBLspnp) boil bagels 7 mins a few
at a time. Turn once.

Drain. Place on greased baking sheet . Bake at 375° for 30 -35 mins.
Broiled (grilled) bagels, bake about 25.

Nowhere does it meantion rising after boiling. I would've thought the
yeast died on the boiling.

--
Cheers,

Phil(NM)

On one of Julia Childs show, she had a baker there who nmade breads and
bagels... when they poked the center hole, they really stretched it ..
because it contracts when boiling/baking, the initial hole was the size
of the finished bagel .... then they boiled it, and it puffed up some.
They then placed them on parchment on a cookie sheet, let them rest
awhile and finally baked them. And they did double on being baked....
The secret is not boiling them, but simmering them, I guess.

Loki wrote:

> il 16 Feb 2004 11:46:44 -0800, (Lynn Gifford) ha
> scritto:
>
> > I think you need lots of yeast because the bagels still have to rise
> > AFTER you boil them. Also, I am *NOT a great baker BUT when I make
> > bagels, I roll the dough into a ball in my hands (like when you shape
> > buns) and poke ny finger through it to make the middle hole.
> > Lynn from Fargo
> > *(Baking requires measuring . . .)

> This is in my Better Homes and Garden's Homemade bread cookbook
> c.1973.
>
> 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
> 2 packages active dry yeast (any one know what those weigh?)
> 1 1/2 cups warm water (110°)- °F I guess
> 3 tablespoons sugar
> 1 tablespoon salt
>
> In large mixer bowl combine 11/2 cups flour and the yeast.
>
> Combine water sugar and salt. Add to dry mixture in mixer bowl.
>
> Beat at low speed 1/2 minute. (...I wish - I use even slower hand and
> spoon)
>
> Beat 3 mins. at high speed (.. ya gotta be kidding!)
>
> By hand stir in the rest of the flour to make a moderately stiff
> dough. (that I can do )
>
> Turn out (yaddayadda)
> Knead till smooth and elastic (8-10 mins)
>
> Cover, let rest 15 mins. (Is this for the dough or the baker?)
>
> Cut into 12 portions, *shape* into smooth balls. i(my hilite)i
> Punch hole in middle, enlarge hole by pulling it. Cover, let rise 20
> mins
> (optional - broil (grill) a bit for smooth glossy surface on an
> ungreased tray)
>
> In simmering sugared water (1 gal :1TBLspnp) boil bagels 7 mins a few
> at a time. Turn once.
>
> Drain. Place on greased baking sheet . Bake at 375° for 30 -35 mins.
> Broiled (grilled) bagels, bake about 25.
>
> Nowhere does it meantion rising after boiling. I would've thought the
> yeast died on the boiling.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]

Loki

il Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:32:59 -0700, "Phil(NM)" ha scritto:

> On one of Julia Childs show, she had a baker there who nmade breads and
> bagels... when they poked the center hole, they really stretched it ..
> because it contracts when boiling/baking, the initial hole was the size
> of the finished bagel .... then they boiled it, and it puffed up some.
> They then placed them on parchment on a cookie sheet, let them rest
> awhile and finally baked them. And they did double on being baked....
> The secret is not boiling them, but simmering them, I guess.

eare ]

Heh, mine just go wrinkly when boiled or simmered I'd thought. Soon
as they hit that water. I'll have to try again and observe closely.
Maybe 7 mins is too long.

--
Cheers,

alzelt

Lynn Gifford wrote:

> "Phil(NM)" > wrote in message >...
>
>>Which recipe did you use? Care to post it?
>>Thanks.
>>
>>circe, @nospam.internet.look.ca wrote:
>>
>>>Made bagels for the first time today and they came out of the oven
>>>looking more like doughnut-store honey crullers than bagels.
>>>
>>>I had a lot of problems getting the dough to stick to itself when
>>>kneading them, and joining the ends when making a long rope of dough.
>>>In fact one came out of the oven looking more like a croissant than a
>>>bagel!
>>>
>>>What did I do wrong? How can I avoid this in future?
>>>
>>>And one more question - next time I make them, I'd like to double the
>>>recipe and freeze half. This recipe called for one envelope of yeast
>>>and three cups of flour. Is it necessary to use two envelopes of yeast
>>>to six cups of flour or can I get away with just one envelope?
>>>
>>>Circe

> I think you need lots of yeast because the bagels still have to rise
> AFTER you boil them. Also, I am *NOT a great baker BUT when I make
> bagels, I roll the dough into a ball in my hands (like when you shape
> buns) and poke ny finger through it to make the middle hole.
> Lynn from Fargo
> *(Baking requires measuring . . .)

Not sure what you consider "lots" of yeast. In my case, I use one tsp
rapid for the sponge and 1/2 tsp for the dough. Seems plenty to me.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Bagels Corey Richardson[_3_] General Cooking 42 07-10-2008 04:39 PM
Shaping Boules Todd K. Sourdough 9 14-02-2006 05:03 PM
Bagels Tim Recipes 0 10-06-2005 12:23 PM
dough shaping Alan Baking 9 19-12-2003 04:42 PM