kalanamak

Michael P Gabriel wrote:

> Am I getting the same nutriotion from the beet tops as I would be if I
> bought my usual green leaf lettuce? The beets AND tops are FRESH
> PICKED!

Probably more, depending on the lettuce you use. If you are replacing
iceberg, absolutley yes, as iceberg is just salt and water in a
fiberless frame.
blacksalt
Michael P Gabriel

Default Beet Tops VS Lettuce

Hi
I don't buy, the 1.25 a head for leaf lettuce because of finances..
I saw it as high as 1.39!! And, I don't believe that head lettuce has
the nutrition of green leaf lettuce.

I have tons of beets from my garden..so I've been fast frying beet
tops with a little olive oil, or just steaming with a little water. I
add a few pine nuts and currants and they are delicious!

Am I getting the same nutriotion from the beet tops as I would be if I
bought my usual green leaf lettuce? The beets AND tops are FRESH
PICKED!

What say?

Thanks folks,
Mike
Picture Rocks , AZ
Goomba38

Michael P Gabriel wrote:

> Am I getting the same nutriotion from the beet tops as I would be if I
> bought my usual green leaf lettuce? The beets AND tops are FRESH
> PICKED!
>
> What say?

I'd say you're comparing apples and oranges.
Goomba

Goomba38

Michael P Gabriel wrote:

> Am I getting the same nutriotion from the beet tops as I would be if I
> bought my usual green leaf lettuce? The beets AND tops are FRESH
> PICKED!
>
> What say?

I'd say you're comparing apples and oranges.
Goomba

Dave Smith

Michael P Gabriel wrote:

> Hi
> I don't buy, the 1.25 a head for leaf lettuce because of finances..
> I saw it as high as 1.39!! And, I don't believe that head lettuce has
> the nutrition of green leaf lettuce.

They are both pretty close to zero for most nutritional needs. You get
almost as much food value out of a glass of water.

PENMART01

>Goomba38 writes:
>
>>Michael P Gabriel wrote:
>>
>> Am I getting the same nutriotion from the beet tops as I would be if I
>> bought my usual green leaf lettuce? The beets AND tops are FRESH
>> PICKED!
>>
>> What say?

>I'd say you're comparing apples and oranges.
>Goomba

Beet tops are about equal nutrition to spinach.

Nothing the matter with fruit salad, nothing the matter with mixed greens salad
either... so no reason not to combine beet leaves with lettuces, in fact beet
top salad is not really discernable from spinach salad, and no reason apples
and oranges can't be included too.... a bed of beet leaves makes a wonderful
canvas for sliced oranges, toasted walnuts, cubed apples and dressed with a
light honey vinaigrette.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Goomba38 writes:
>
>>Michael P Gabriel wrote:
>>
>> Am I getting the same nutriotion from the beet tops as I would be if I
>> bought my usual green leaf lettuce? The beets AND tops are FRESH
>> PICKED!
>>
>> What say?

>I'd say you're comparing apples and oranges.
>Goomba

Beet tops are about equal nutrition to spinach.

Nothing the matter with fruit salad, nothing the matter with mixed greens salad
either... so no reason not to combine beet leaves with lettuces, in fact beet
top salad is not really discernable from spinach salad, and no reason apples
and oranges can't be included too.... a bed of beet leaves makes a wonderful
canvas for sliced oranges, toasted walnuts, cubed apples and dressed with a
light honey vinaigrette.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Dave Smith writes:
>
>Michael P Gabriel wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I don't buy, the 1.25 a head for leaf lettuce because of finances..
>> I saw it as high as 1.39!! And, I don't believe that head lettuce has
>> the nutrition of green leaf lettuce.

>They are both pretty close to zero for most nutritional needs. You get
>almost as much food value out of a glass of water.

Leaf lettuces happen to be highly nutritious... methinks you're confusing leaf
lettuce with iceberg. But iceberg lettuce has wonderful texture... most folks
ruin it by bashing it about and separating the leaves (they have no class,
except urban democrat ghetto low)... iceberg lettuce is best served sliced into
large slabs, chunks, wedges, and eaten freshly dressed... presented with proper
accompaniments; hard egg slices, diakon radish chiffonade, and boiled shelled
shrimp. Dave, you're way too indoctrinated with fast food burger lettuce, a
gourmet you're not.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Ken Davey

PENMART01 wrote:
>> Dave Smith writes:
>>
>> Michael P Gabriel wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> I don't buy, the 1.25 a head for leaf lettuce because of
>>> finances.. I saw it as high as 1.39!! And, I don't believe that
>>> head lettuce has the nutrition of green leaf lettuce.

>> They are both pretty close to zero for most nutritional needs. You
>> get almost as much food value out of a glass of water.

> Leaf lettuces happen to be highly nutritious... methinks you're
> confusing leaf lettuce with iceberg. But iceberg lettuce has
> wonderful texture... most folks ruin it by bashing it about and
> separating the leaves (they have no class, except urban democrat
> ghetto low)... iceberg lettuce is best served sliced into large
> slabs, chunks, wedges, and eaten freshly dressed... presented with
> proper accompaniments; hard egg slices, diakon radish chiffonade, and
> boiled shelled shrimp. Dave, you're way too indoctrinated with fast
> food burger lettuce, a gourmet you're not.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> ````````````

To quote a friend - "Lettuce has only one reason to be. It is handy for
conveying really rich salad dressings to the mouth. Ideally, lettuce can be
licked off and returned to the cooler, none the worse for wear and ready for
another go-around".
Regards.
Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

Ken Davey

PENMART01 wrote:
>> Dave Smith writes:
>>
>> Michael P Gabriel wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> I don't buy, the 1.25 a head for leaf lettuce because of
>>> finances.. I saw it as high as 1.39!! And, I don't believe that
>>> head lettuce has the nutrition of green leaf lettuce.

>> They are both pretty close to zero for most nutritional needs. You
>> get almost as much food value out of a glass of water.

> Leaf lettuces happen to be highly nutritious... methinks you're
> confusing leaf lettuce with iceberg. But iceberg lettuce has
> wonderful texture... most folks ruin it by bashing it about and
> separating the leaves (they have no class, except urban democrat
> ghetto low)... iceberg lettuce is best served sliced into large
> slabs, chunks, wedges, and eaten freshly dressed... presented with
> proper accompaniments; hard egg slices, diakon radish chiffonade, and
> boiled shelled shrimp. Dave, you're way too indoctrinated with fast
> food burger lettuce, a gourmet you're not.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> ````````````

To quote a friend - "Lettuce has only one reason to be. It is handy for
conveying really rich salad dressings to the mouth. Ideally, lettuce can be
licked off and returned to the cooler, none the worse for wear and ready for
another go-around".
Regards.
Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'
http://www.spammotel.com

PENMART01

>"Ken Davey"
>
>>PENMART01 wrote:
>>> Dave Smith writes:

>>> They are both pretty close to zero for most nutritional needs. You
>>> get almost as much food value out of a glass of water.

>> Leaf lettuces happen to be highly nutritious... methinks you're
>> confusing leaf lettuce with iceberg. But iceberg lettuce has
>> wonderful texture... most folks ruin it by bashing it about and
>> separating the leaves (they have no class, except urban democrat
>> ghetto low)... iceberg lettuce is best served sliced into large
>> slabs, chunks, wedges, and eaten freshly dressed... presented with
>> proper accompaniments; hard egg slices, diakon radish chiffonade, and
>> boiled shelled shrimp. Dave, you're way too indoctrinated with fast
>> food burger lettuce, a gourmet you're not.
>>

>To quote a friend - "Lettuce has only one reason to be. It is handy for
>conveying really rich salad dressings to the mouth. Ideally, lettuce can be
>licked off and returned to the cooler, none the worse for wear and ready for
>another go-around".

You illiterate *******... yet another putz who should never set foot in a
kitchen... Kenny Devoid, you're a friggin' imbecile.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>"Ken Davey"
>
>>PENMART01 wrote:
>>> Dave Smith writes:

>>> They are both pretty close to zero for most nutritional needs. You
>>> get almost as much food value out of a glass of water.

>> Leaf lettuces happen to be highly nutritious... methinks you're
>> confusing leaf lettuce with iceberg. But iceberg lettuce has
>> wonderful texture... most folks ruin it by bashing it about and
>> separating the leaves (they have no class, except urban democrat
>> ghetto low)... iceberg lettuce is best served sliced into large
>> slabs, chunks, wedges, and eaten freshly dressed... presented with
>> proper accompaniments; hard egg slices, diakon radish chiffonade, and
>> boiled shelled shrimp. Dave, you're way too indoctrinated with fast
>> food burger lettuce, a gourmet you're not.
>>

>To quote a friend - "Lettuce has only one reason to be. It is handy for
>conveying really rich salad dressings to the mouth. Ideally, lettuce can be
>licked off and returned to the cooler, none the worse for wear and ready for
>another go-around".

You illiterate *******... yet another putz who should never set foot in a
kitchen... Kenny Devoid, you're a friggin' imbecile.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
FRANK

Hello Mike. I,m also from arizona. This week in Bashas they have
lettuce for sale. for two at a dollar. I don,t know if it will help.
But beet tops are exelent sorse for vitamins. the beet it self is the
culpet for high sugar, if you have diabetes

see you later
Frank.

Ken Davey

PENMART01 wrote:

>>> Leaf lettuces happen to be highly nutritious... methinks you're
>>> confusing leaf lettuce with iceberg. But iceberg lettuce has
>>> wonderful texture... most folks ruin it by bashing it about and
>>> separating the leaves (they have no class, except urban democrat
>>> ghetto low)... iceberg lettuce is best served sliced into large
>>> slabs, chunks, wedges, and eaten freshly dressed... presented with
>>> proper accompaniments; hard egg slices, diakon radish chiffonade,
>>> and boiled shelled shrimp. Dave, you're way too indoctrinated with
>>> fast food burger lettuce, a gourmet you're not.
>>>

>> To quote a friend - "Lettuce has only one reason to be. It is handy
>> for conveying really rich salad dressings to the mouth. Ideally,
>> lettuce can be licked off and returned to the cooler, none the worse
>> for wear and ready for another go-around".

> You illiterate *******... yet another putz who should never set foot
> in a kitchen... Kenny Devoid, you're a friggin' imbecile.

Not to put a damper on your intellect - wanna to go one-on-one in the
'smarts' department?
Just because you feel superior to your pet trailer park doesn't make you
intellegent.
Without the help of a dictionary you couldn't out-spell Shirley Temple.
Care to point out an original thought you have had since discovering usenet?
Zeez - wadda putz!

Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'
http://www.spammotel.com

Dave Smith

PENMART01 wrote:

> >> I don't buy, the 1.25 a head for leaf lettuce because of finances..
> >> I saw it as high as 1.39!! And, I don't believe that head lettuce has
> >> the nutrition of green leaf lettuce.

> >They are both pretty close to zero for most nutritional needs. You get
> >almost as much food value out of a glass of water.

> Leaf lettuces happen to be highly nutritious... methinks you're confusing leaf
> lettuce with iceberg. But iceberg lettuce has wonderful texture... most folks
> ruin it by bashing it about and separating the leaves (they have no class,
> except urban democrat ghetto low)... iceberg lettuce is best served sliced into
> large slabs, chunks, wedges, and eaten freshly dressed... presented with proper
> accompaniments; hard egg slices, diakon radish chiffonade, and boiled shelled
> shrimp. Dave, you're way too indoctrinated with fast food burger lettuce, a
> gourmet you're not.

Highly nutritious? Hardly. It does have some Vitamin A and C, Calcium, Iron and
Folate. It certainly doesn't have any fat, that nasty cholesterol or sodium. There
are very few calories in it and a tiny but of protein. Anyone trying to live on
lettuce alone would die within days. I take that back. There is enough water in it
to help keep you going.

Lettuce an pretty garnish with the added advantage of being more edible enough to
be a vehicle for salad dressing.

Katra

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Michael P Gabriel wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I don't buy, the 1.25 a head for leaf lettuce because of finances..
> > I saw it as high as 1.39!! And, I don't believe that head lettuce has
> > the nutrition of green leaf lettuce.

> They are both pretty close to zero for most nutritional needs. You get
> almost as much food value out of a glass of water.

Not true......
Beet greens are rich in Iron, Magnesium and trace minerals.
Lettuce is next to useless. I won't even eat it anymore except for a
small amount of the winter butter crisp lettuce I grow in the winter.

For a lettuce substitute in sandwiches and salads tho', I usually use
fresh spinach leaves.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Katra

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Michael P Gabriel wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I don't buy, the 1.25 a head for leaf lettuce because of finances..
> > I saw it as high as 1.39!! And, I don't believe that head lettuce has
> > the nutrition of green leaf lettuce.

> They are both pretty close to zero for most nutritional needs. You get
> almost as much food value out of a glass of water.

Not true......
Beet greens are rich in Iron, Magnesium and trace minerals.
Lettuce is next to useless. I won't even eat it anymore except for a
small amount of the winter butter crisp lettuce I grow in the winter.

For a lettuce substitute in sandwiches and salads tho', I usually use
fresh spinach leaves.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Gregory Morrow

Katra wrote:

> I detest beets, but adore the beet greens! When mom was around, she
> loved the beets so I'd cook those for her and share the greens with her
> as well...

Why do some people detest beets so? It's one of those love/hate food thangs
that reminds me of why people either love or hate cilantro...

I LUV The Noble Beet, sooooo...

They are good for the liver, too... ;---)

--
Best
Greg

Goomba38

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Why do some people detest beets so? It's one of those love/hate food thangs
> that reminds me of why people either love or hate cilantro...
>
> I LUV The Noble Beet, sooooo...
>
> They are good for the liver, too... ;---)

I didn't appreciate beets enough as a child. I
enjoyed "harvard beets" because they were
sweetened, but the simple plain beet just wasn't
something I craved. But NOW.. I crave simply
cooked beets. My kids skeeve them but I adore them
now. Go figure?
Goomba

Goomba38

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Why do some people detest beets so? It's one of those love/hate food thangs
> that reminds me of why people either love or hate cilantro...
>
> I LUV The Noble Beet, sooooo...
>
> They are good for the liver, too... ;---)

I didn't appreciate beets enough as a child. I
enjoyed "harvard beets" because they were
sweetened, but the simple plain beet just wasn't
something I craved. But NOW.. I crave simply
cooked beets. My kids skeeve them but I adore them
now. Go figure?
Goomba

Bubba

Ken Davey wrote:

>PENMART01 wrote:
>

>>>Dave Smith writes:

>>>They are both pretty close to zero for most nutritional needs. You
>>>get almost as much food value out of a glass of water.
>>>

>>Leaf lettuces happen to be highly nutritious... methinks you're
>>confusing leaf lettuce with iceberg. But iceberg lettuce has
>>wonderful texture... most folks ruin it by bashing it about and
>>separating the leaves (they have no class, except urban democrat
>>ghetto low)... iceberg lettuce is best served sliced into large
>>slabs, chunks, wedges, and eaten freshly dressed... presented with
>>proper accompaniments; hard egg slices, diakon radish chiffonade, and
>>boiled shelled shrimp. Dave, you're way too indoctrinated with fast
>>food burger lettuce, a gourmet you're not.
>>

>>---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
>> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
>> *********
>>"Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
>>Sheldon
>>````````````
>>

>To quote a friend - "Lettuce has only one reason to be. It is handy for
>conveying really rich salad dressings to the mouth. Ideally, lettuce can be
>licked off and returned to the cooler, none the worse for wear and ready for
>another go-around".
>Regards.
>Ken.

LOL!!! I like it!

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Bubba

Ken Davey wrote:

>PENMART01 wrote:
>

>>>Dave Smith writes:

>>>They are both pretty close to zero for most nutritional needs. You
>>>get almost as much food value out of a glass of water.
>>>

>>Leaf lettuces happen to be highly nutritious... methinks you're
>>confusing leaf lettuce with iceberg. But iceberg lettuce has
>>wonderful texture... most folks ruin it by bashing it about and
>>separating the leaves (they have no class, except urban democrat
>>ghetto low)... iceberg lettuce is best served sliced into large
>>slabs, chunks, wedges, and eaten freshly dressed... presented with
>>proper accompaniments; hard egg slices, diakon radish chiffonade, and
>>boiled shelled shrimp. Dave, you're way too indoctrinated with fast
>>food burger lettuce, a gourmet you're not.
>>

>>---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
>> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
>> *********
>>"Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
>>Sheldon
>>````````````
>>

>To quote a friend - "Lettuce has only one reason to be. It is handy for
>conveying really rich salad dressings to the mouth. Ideally, lettuce can be
>licked off and returned to the cooler, none the worse for wear and ready for
>another go-around".
>Regards.
>Ken.

LOL!!! I like it!

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Bubba

Michael P Gabriel wrote:

>Hi
> I don't buy, the 1.25 a head for leaf lettuce because of finances..
>I saw it as high as 1.39!! And, I don't believe that head lettuce has
>the nutrition of green leaf lettuce.
>
>I have tons of beets from my garden..so I've been fast frying beet
>tops with a little olive oil, or just steaming with a little water. I
>add a few pine nuts and currants and they are delicious!
>
>Am I getting the same nutriotion from the beet tops as I would be if I
>bought my usual green leaf lettuce? The beets AND tops are FRESH
>PICKED!
>
>What say?
>
>Thanks folks,
>Mike
>Picture Rocks , AZ

Good source for any nutritional info you need.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?