Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Q vide

Kinda like sous vide , but in the smoker . I had a nice ribeye left
over from a couple of nights ago when I fixed fajitters , and it needed
to be cooked before it spoiled . So last night when I put the pork butt
in the smoker I also put that steak in . Seasoned as I usually do then
sealed in foil to retain moisture and keep it from "over smoking" while
it cooked . Average temp overnight was around 200°F and I just sampled
the steak . It's so tender it can be cut with a plastic fork , melts in
your mouth and tastes fantastic . I wouldn't fire the smoker up for a
steak or two , but since I was doing the pork butt I figgered why not .
I'm glad I did !
--
Snag
Race only matters to racists ...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2021 8:24 AM, Snag wrote:

> Â* Kinda like sous vide , but in the smoker . I had a nice ribeye left
> over from a couple of nights ago when I fixed fajitters , and it needed
> to be cooked before it spoiled . So last night when I put the pork butt
> in the smoker I also put that steak in . Seasoned as I usually do then
> sealed in foil to retain moisture and keep it from "over smoking" while
> it cooked . Average temp overnight was around 200°F and I just sampled
> the steak . It's so tender it can be cut with a plastic fork , melts in
> your mouth and tastes fantastic . I wouldn't fire the smoker up for a
> steak or two , but since I was doing the pork butt I figgered why not .
> I'm glad I did !

Interesting, never would have tried that. If you did it again, would
you eat it "as is" or would you toss it on a hot grill for some sear?

Forget where I saw it, but tried an oven method once. Put the steak in
a 200 degree oven until it gets to about 100 degrees and finish on the
grill. OK, but not worth repeating.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2021 5:24 AM, Snag wrote:

> Kinda like sous vide , but in the smoker . I had a nice ribeye left
> over from a couple of nights ago when I fixed fajitters , and it needed
> to be cooked before it spoiled . So last night when I put the pork butt
> in the smoker I also put that steak in . Seasoned as I usually do then
> sealed in foil to retain moisture and keep it from "over smoking" while
> it cooked . Average temp overnight was around 200°F and I just sampled
> the steak . It's so tender it can be cut with a plastic fork , melts in
> your mouth and tastes fantastic . I wouldn't fire the smoker up for a
> steak or two , but since I was doing the pork butt I figgered why not .
> I'm glad I did !

did any smoke permeate the foil?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2021 7:36 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/8/2021 8:24 AM, Snag wrote:
>>

>> Â*Â* Kinda like sous vide , but in the smoker . I had a nice ribeye left
>> over from a couple of nights ago when I fixed fajitters , and it
>> needed to be cooked before it spoiled . So last night when I put the
>> pork butt in the smoker I also put that steak in . Seasoned as I
>> usually do then sealed in foil to retain moisture and keep it from
>> "over smoking" while it cooked . Average temp overnight was around
>> 200°F and I just sampled the steak . It's so tender it can be cut with
>> a plastic fork , melts in your mouth and tastes fantastic . I wouldn't
>> fire the smoker up for a steak or two , but since I was doing the pork
>> butt I figgered why not . I'm glad I did !

> Interesting, never would have tried that.Â* If you did it again, would
> you eat it "as is" or would you toss it on a hot grill for some sear?
>
> Forget where I saw it, but tried an oven method once.Â* Put the steak in
> a 200 degree oven until it gets to about 100 degrees and finish on the
> grill.Â* OK, but not worth repeating.

I like a good sear , but it's not essential ... I tasted it straight
off the smoker and it tastes great ... it's going on a couple of slices
of bread for my lunch . I'm the only one here that eats beef now , and
I've still got a couple of packages of 2 steaks that from when my wife
could still eat beef . I can only eat one at a meal , gotta get creative
with the other sometimes .
--
Snag
Race only matters to racists ...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2021 9:31 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 6/8/2021 5:24 AM, Snag wrote:
>>

>> Â*Â*Â* Kinda like sous vide , but in the smoker . I had a nice ribeye left
>> over from a couple of nights ago when I fixed fajitters , and it needed
>> to be cooked before it spoiled . So last night when I put the pork butt
>> in the smoker I also put that steak in . Seasoned as I usually do then
>> sealed in foil to retain moisture and keep it from "over smoking" while
>> it cooked . Average temp overnight was around 200°F and I just sampled
>> the steak . It's so tender it can be cut with a plastic fork , melts in
>> your mouth and tastes fantastic . I wouldn't fire the smoker up for a
>> steak or two , but since I was doing the pork butt I figgered why not .
>> I'm glad I did !
>>

> did any smoke permeate the foil?

Very little if any . I knew that if I didn't seal it up it would be
so smoky as to be inedible . Made that mistake with some chicken leg
quarters once ...
--
Snag
Race only matters to racists ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 07:24:29 -0500, Snag > wrote:

> Kinda like sous vide , but in the smoker . I had a nice ribeye left
>over from a couple of nights ago when I fixed fajitters , and it needed
>to be cooked before it spoiled . So last night when I put the pork butt
>in the smoker I also put that steak in . Seasoned as I usually do then
>sealed in foil to retain moisture and keep it from "over smoking" while
>it cooked . Average temp overnight was around 200°F and I just sampled
>the steak . It's so tender it can be cut with a plastic fork , melts in
>your mouth and tastes fantastic . I wouldn't fire the smoker up for a
>steak or two , but since I was doing the pork butt I figgered why not .
>I'm glad I did !

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 09:32:05 -0500, Snag > wrote:

>On 6/8/2021 7:36 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 6/8/2021 8:24 AM, Snag wrote:
>>>

>>> ** Kinda like sous vide , but in the smoker . I had a nice ribeye left
>>> over from a couple of nights ago when I fixed fajitters , and it
>>> needed to be cooked before it spoiled . So last night when I put the
>>> pork butt in the smoker I also put that steak in . Seasoned as I
>>> usually do then sealed in foil to retain moisture and keep it from
>>> "over smoking" while it cooked . Average temp overnight was around
>>> 200°F and I just sampled the steak . It's so tender it can be cut with
>>> a plastic fork , melts in your mouth and tastes fantastic . I wouldn't
>>> fire the smoker up for a steak or two , but since I was doing the pork
>>> butt I figgered why not . I'm glad I did !

>> Interesting, never would have tried that.* If you did it again, would
>> you eat it "as is" or would you toss it on a hot grill for some sear?
>>
>> Forget where I saw it, but tried an oven method once.* Put the steak in
>> a 200 degree oven until it gets to about 100 degrees and finish on the
>> grill.* OK, but not worth repeating.

> I like a good sear , but it's not essential ... I tasted it straight
>off the smoker and it tastes great ... it's going on a couple of slices
>of bread for my lunch . I'm the only one here that eats beef now , and
>I've still got a couple of packages of 2 steaks that from when my wife
>could still eat beef . I can only eat one at a meal , gotta get creative
>with the other sometimes .

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 08:36:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 6/8/2021 8:24 AM, Snag wrote:
>>

>> * Kinda like sous vide , but in the smoker . I had a nice ribeye left
>> over from a couple of nights ago when I fixed fajitters , and it needed
>> to be cooked before it spoiled . So last night when I put the pork butt
>> in the smoker I also put that steak in . Seasoned as I usually do then
>> sealed in foil to retain moisture and keep it from "over smoking" while
>> it cooked . Average temp overnight was around 200°F and I just sampled
>> the steak . It's so tender it can be cut with a plastic fork , melts in
>> your mouth and tastes fantastic . I wouldn't fire the smoker up for a
>> steak or two , but since I was doing the pork butt I figgered why not .
>> I'm glad I did !

>Interesting, never would have tried that. If you did it again, would
>you eat it "as is" or would you toss it on a hot grill for some sear?
>
>Forget where I saw it, but tried an oven method once. Put the steak in
>a 200 degree oven until it gets to about 100 degrees and finish on the
>grill. OK, but not worth repeating.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 07:31:19 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

>On 6/8/2021 5:24 AM, Snag wrote:
>>

>> Kinda like sous vide , but in the smoker . I had a nice ribeye left
>> over from a couple of nights ago when I fixed fajitters , and it needed
>> to be cooked before it spoiled . So last night when I put the pork butt
>> in the smoker I also put that steak in . Seasoned as I usually do then
>> sealed in foil to retain moisture and keep it from "over smoking" while
>> it cooked . Average temp overnight was around 200°F and I just sampled
>> the steak . It's so tender it can be cut with a plastic fork , melts in
>> your mouth and tastes fantastic . I wouldn't fire the smoker up for a
>> steak or two , but since I was doing the pork butt I figgered why not .
>> I'm glad I did !
>>

>did any smoke permeate the foil?

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 09:34:14 -0500, Snag > wrote:

>On 6/8/2021 9:31 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
>> On 6/8/2021 5:24 AM, Snag wrote:
>>>

>>> *** Kinda like sous vide , but in the smoker . I had a nice ribeye left
>>> over from a couple of nights ago when I fixed fajitters , and it needed
>>> to be cooked before it spoiled . So last night when I put the pork butt
>>> in the smoker I also put that steak in . Seasoned as I usually do then
>>> sealed in foil to retain moisture and keep it from "over smoking" while
>>> it cooked . Average temp overnight was around 200°F and I just sampled
>>> the steak . It's so tender it can be cut with a plastic fork , melts in
>>> your mouth and tastes fantastic . I wouldn't fire the smoker up for a
>>> steak or two , but since I was doing the pork butt I figgered why not .
>>> I'm glad I did !
>>>

>> did any smoke permeate the foil?
>>

> Very little if any . I knew that if I didn't seal it up it would be
>so smoky as to be inedible . Made that mistake with some chicken leg
>quarters once ...

Not Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 07:24:29 -0500, Snag wrote:

> Kinda like sous vide , but in the smoker . I had a nice ribeye left
> over from a couple of nights ago when I fixed fajitters , and it needed
> to be cooked before it spoiled . So last night when I put the pork butt
> in the smoker I also put that steak in . Seasoned as I usually do then
> sealed in foil to retain moisture and keep it from "over smoking" while
> it cooked . Average temp overnight was around 200°F and I just sampled
> the steak . It's so tender it can be cut with a plastic fork , melts in
> your mouth and tastes fantastic . I wouldn't fire the smoker up for a
> steak or two , but since I was doing the pork butt I figgered why not .
> I'm glad I did !

So you basically have a small steamed, way overcooked unsmoked chuck
roast at the 3X teh cost and no flavor (or probably juices) except
the spices. And your expiring steak festered even more in teh
danger zone for a 4-5 hours extra whi;e you slept, liek magic!

I'm not quite feeling the beefy love like you are. Fire up the
smoker, put the steal right above the coals, grill steak, eat steak,
remove teeth, go to bed.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 01:27:40 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 07:24:29 -0500, Snag wrote:
>
>> Kinda like sous vide , but in the smoker . I had a nice ribeye left
>> over from a couple of nights ago when I fixed fajitters , and it needed
>> to be cooked before it spoiled . So last night when I put the pork butt
>> in the smoker I also put that steak in . Seasoned as I usually do then
>> sealed in foil to retain moisture and keep it from "over smoking" while
>> it cooked . Average temp overnight was around 200°F and I just sampled
>> the steak . It's so tender it can be cut with a plastic fork , melts in
>> your mouth and tastes fantastic . I wouldn't fire the smoker up for a
>> steak or two , but since I was doing the pork butt I figgered why not .
>> I'm glad I did !

>So you basically have a small steamed, way overcooked unsmoked chuck
>roast at the 3X teh cost and no flavor (or probably juices) except
>the spices. And your expiring steak festered even more in teh
>danger zone for a 4-5 hours extra whi;e you slept, liek magic!
>
>I'm not quite feeling the beefy love like you are. Fire up the
>smoker, put the steal right above the coals, grill steak, eat steak,
>remove teeth, go to bed.
>
>-sw

Not Dave Smith

Sous vide yum notbob General Cooking 7 19-04-2019 04:05 PM
My Sous Vide Experiences. (WAS: Hacking your slow cooker for Sous Vide) [email protected] General Cooking 5 11-11-2010 04:02 PM
My Sous Vide Experiences. (WAS: Hacking your slow cooker for Sous Vide) Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 2 10-11-2010 06:24 AM
My Sous Vide Experiences. (WAS: Hacking your slow cooker for Sous Vide) Sqwertz[_25_] General Cooking 2 10-11-2010 12:25 AM
My Sous Vide Experiences. (WAS: Hacking your slow cooker forSous Vide) Serene Vannoy General Cooking 5 09-11-2010 10:27 PM