Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default CRAYFISH?? CRAWFISH??

On Monday, May 27, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Richard Sherratt wrote:
> rms > wrote:
> >"Carmen Z. Catoni" > wrote:
> >>

> >(...)
> >> I had always heard of "Crayfish", which I found somewhat similar to what
> >> is called Cigalas in Spain. Now I hear of "Crawfish". I've actually eaten
> >> them in Key West,Fla., where they make them deliciously spicy.
> >>
> >> Are they the same crustacean spelled differently? Please, if someone
> >> knows, please enlighten me. I like to know exactly what I eat, although,
> >> either one is really very good.
> >>
> >> Thanks a lot.
> >> Carmen
> >>

> >In europe there are primarily three varieties of crayfish:
> >red-clawed crayfish, white-clawed crayfish, and the
> >slender-clawed crayfish. In the US there is the native
> >crawfish associated with des cajuns, you know "Suck the head...".
> >There is a movement in the aquaculture industry here in the south
> >to produce austrailian varieties, which can grow quite large.
> >Marons (Sp?) , a .au red-claw and a blue-claw I think.
> >You should see what they call a mud-bug in Queesland, quite
> >odd looking.
> >All cousins though. RMS

> The Australian one is also known as a "Yabbie", just to confuse you.
> They're a freshwater crayfish somewhat similar to the French
> écrevisses. And they can indeed grow quite big, especially in the
> colder parts, like Tasmania. Most of the ones we get around here in
> warm and sunny Melbourne ;-) are about 4" to 5" long, but there was
> one on the news recently which was nearly 2 feet long and weighs about
> 2Kg (4.4lbs). The biggest on record was about 6Kg. I kid you not.
> Regards,
> Richard.

In the US they're mostly New Orleans or Louisiana Cajun (very old Maine, Acadian hence, Aquitainian) styled steamed or boiled and have Zatarain's or Old Bay seasoning dumped on them right before serving. Great deal with a side of melted butter or white wine sauce and french fries and beer. Cocktail sauce or tartar sauce is good, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 May 2021 07:44:05 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 27, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Richard Sherratt wrote:
>> rms > wrote:
>> >"Carmen Z. Catoni" > wrote:
>> >>
>> >(...)

>> >In europe there are primarily three varieties of crayfish:
>> >red-clawed crayfish, white-clawed crayfish, and the
>> >slender-clawed crayfish. In the US there is the native
>> >crawfish associated with des cajuns, you know "Suck the head...".
>> >There is a movement in the aquaculture industry here in the south
>> >to produce austrailian varieties, which can grow quite large.
>> >Marons (Sp?) , a .au red-claw and a blue-claw I think.
>> >You should see what they call a mud-bug in Queesland, quite
>> >odd looking.
>> >All cousins though. RMS

>> The Australian one is also known as a "Yabbie", just to confuse you.
>> They're a freshwater crayfish somewhat similar to the French
>> écrevisses. And they can indeed grow quite big, especially in the
>> colder parts, like Tasmania. Most of the ones we get around here in
>> warm and sunny Melbourne ;-) are about 4" to 5" long, but there was
>> one on the news recently which was nearly 2 feet long and weighs about
>> 2Kg (4.4lbs). The biggest on record was about 6Kg. I kid you not.
>> Regards,
>> Richard.

>In the US they're mostly New Orleans or Louisiana Cajun (very old Maine, Acadian hence, Aquitainian) styled steamed or boiled and have Zatarain's or Old Bay seasoning dumped on them right before serving. Great deal with a side of melted butter or white wine sauce and french fries and beer. Cocktail sauce or tartar sauce is good, too.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 9:25:49 PM UTC-4, Peter Moylan wrote in alt.usage.english:
> On 26/05/21 01:46, bruce bowser wrote:

> >> The Australian one is also known as a "Yabbie", just to confuse you.
> >> They're a freshwater crayfish somewhat similar to the French
> >> écrevisses. And they can indeed grow quite big, especially in the
> >> colder parts, like Tasmania. Most of the ones we get around here in
> >> warm and sunny Melbourne ;-) are about 4" to 5" long, but there was
> >> one on the news recently which was nearly 2 feet long and weighs about
> >> 2Kg (4.4lbs). The biggest on record was about 6Kg. I kid you not.
> >> Regards,
> >> Richard.

> > In the US, they're mostly New Orleans (or Louisiana Cajun very old Maine, Acadian hence, Aquitainian) styled steamed or boiled and have Zatarain's or Old Bay Seasoning dumped on them right before serving. Great deal with a side of melted butter or lemon, white wine sauce and french fries and beer. Cocktail sauce or tartar sauce is good, too.

> Now is a good time to buy Australian crayfish. Because of a boycott by
> China (as punishment for suggesting that the origins of covid-19 should
> be investigated), there's a glut on the market.
>
> (There's probably also been a price drop in the other Australian
> products now banned by China: barley, coal, beef, wine, and I've
> forgotten what else. Australian exporters have been hurt badly by this war.)
>
> I make a distinction between a crayfish and a yabbie. The sort of cray
> that you get in restaurants is a sal****er crayfish. A yabbie is
> smaller, and is a freshwater beast. As a child I used to catch and eat
> yabbies, but I had too many and now can't stand them.
>
> But it doesn't take much googling to discover that the terminology is
> all over the place.
>
> I see that bruce bowser is reaching further back in time to find these
> articles. He should be warned that 1991 is the limit for AUE.
> --
> Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW http://www.pmoylan.org

I wonder if white wine goes best with steamed crawfish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/26/2021 11:15 AM, bruce bowser wrote:

)

>> I make a distinction between a crayfish and a yabbie. The sort of cray
>> that you get in restaurants is a sal****er crayfish. A yabbie is
>> smaller, and is a freshwater beast. As a child I used to catch and eat
>> yabbies, but I had too many and now can't stand them.
>>
>> But it doesn't take much googling to discover that the terminology is
>> all over the place.
>>
>> I see that bruce bowser is reaching further back in time to find these
>> articles. He should be warned that 1991 is the limit for AUE.
>> --
>> Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW http://www.pmoylan.org

> I wonder if white wine goes best with steamed crawfish.

I'd go with a cold beer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-05-26 11:39 a.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/26/2021 11:15 AM, bruce bowser wrote:
>
> )
>>>
>>> I make a distinction between a crayfish and a yabbie. The sort of cray
>>> that you get in restaurants is a sal****er crayfish. A yabbie is
>>> smaller, and is a freshwater beast. As a child I used to catch and eat
>>> yabbies, but I had too many and now can't stand them.
>>>
>>> But it doesn't take much googling to discover that the terminology is
>>> all over the place.
>>>
>>> I see that bruce bowser is reaching further back in time to find these
>>> articles. He should be warned that 1991 is the limit for AUE.
>>> --
>>> Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW http://www.pmoylan.org

>> I wonder if white wine goes best with steamed crawfish.
>>

> I'd go with a cold beer.

That works for me.