Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Taking a break from ham

On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 9:53:15 AM UTC-4, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 07:14:50 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
> > Out of the blue, I woke up craving

> Funny how that works. A year or so ago I bought a box of Captain Crunch
> for no apparent reason. (No, I don't have a whistle). It's the only
> cereal I liked because it stayed crunchy in the milk. After 50 years, it
> still doesn't taste very good. Maybe one of the helpful elves in this
> group could look it up and see what ingredient causes that.

There's really not much to Cap'n Crunch:

Corn Flour, Sugar, Oat Flour, Brown Sugar, Palm and/or Coconut Oil, Salt, Reduced Iron, Yellow 5, Niacinamide*, Yellow 6, BHT (to preserve freshness), Thiamin Mononitrate*, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride*, Riboflavin*, Folic Acid*.

I doubt you can taste the vitamins, artificial color, or preservatives. I'd guess it's
one (or a combination) of the first five ingredients.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-08 10:29 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 9:53:15 AM UTC-4, Mike Duffy wrote:
> ingredient causes that.
>
> There's really not much to Cap'n Crunch:
>
> Corn Flour, Sugar, Oat Flour, Brown Sugar, Palm and/or Coconut Oil,
> Salt, Reduced Iron, Yellow 5, Niacinamide*, Yellow 6, BHT (to
> preserve freshness), Thiamin Mononitrate*, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride*,
> Riboflavin*, Folic Acid*.
>
> I doubt you can taste the vitamins, artificial color, or
> preservatives. I'd guess it's one (or a combination) of the first
> five ingredients.

I had a strange friend in high school. He was a neighbour who was
badly hurt in the motor cycle accident in which my best friend was
killed. We were sort of pushed together. He was an odd bird, a rebel who
bucked all the rules and who made some bad choices in life, got into
drugs. That was when we parted ways, and I was not surprised years later
that he eventually died from a drug overdose. His while family was kind
of strange.

At any rate, they had a little Pomeranian whose main diet was Cap'n
Crunch cereal. Sometimes they put milk on it, but mostly it was just
plain old Cap'n Crunch. Surprisingly, the dog had teeth even when he
was older.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 11:30:23 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2021-04-08 10:29 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> Corn Flour, Sugar, Oat Flour, Brown Sugar, Palm and/or Coconut Oil,
>> Salt, Reduced Iron, Yellow 5, Niacinamide*, Yellow 6, BHT (to preserve
>> freshness), Thiamin Mononitrate*, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride*,
>> Riboflavin*, Folic Acid*.

> At any rate, they had a little Pomeranian whose main diet was Cap'n
> Crunch cereal. Sometimes they put milk on it, but mostly it was just
> plain old Cap'n Crunch. Surprisingly, the dog had teeth even when he
> was older.

The bad taste was not what I was questioning. I was wondering how they
stayed crisp when ALL the other cereals turn to mush by the time you get
to the bottom of the bowl.

Maybe they cook it longer until actually starts to burn, and then add a
bunch of yellow dye to make it look like they just added even more sugar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 5:55:50 AM UTC-10, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 11:30:23 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > On 2021-04-08 10:29 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Corn Flour, Sugar, Oat Flour, Brown Sugar, Palm and/or Coconut Oil,
> >> Salt, Reduced Iron, Yellow 5, Niacinamide*, Yellow 6, BHT (to preserve
> >> freshness), Thiamin Mononitrate*, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride*,
> >> Riboflavin*, Folic Acid*.

> > At any rate, they had a little Pomeranian whose main diet was Cap'n
> > Crunch cereal. Sometimes they put milk on it, but mostly it was just
> > plain old Cap'n Crunch. Surprisingly, the dog had teeth even when he
> > was older.

> The bad taste was not what I was questioning. I was wondering how they
> stayed crisp when ALL the other cereals turn to mush by the time you get
> to the bottom of the bowl.
>
> Maybe they cook it longer until actually starts to burn, and then add a
> bunch of yellow dye to make it look like they just added even more sugar.

My guess is that it was a good amount of oil. I loved Cap'n Crunch. That stuff used to be sweeter because they would spray with a clear coat of sugar 'n oil. That made it glisten like a bowl full of jewels. Don't even get me started on Peanut Butter Crunch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 09:19:57 -0700, dsi1 wrote:

> My guess is that it was a good amount of oil.

Ahh. Probably an edible varnish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-08 11:55 a.m., Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 11:30:23 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

Riboflavin*, Folic Acid*.

>> At any rate, they had a little Pomeranian whose main diet was Cap'n
>> Crunch cereal. Sometimes they put milk on it, but mostly it was just
>> plain old Cap'n Crunch. Surprisingly, the dog had teeth even when he
>> was older.

> The bad taste was not what I was questioning. I was wondering how they
> stayed crisp when ALL the other cereals turn to mush by the time you get
> to the bottom of the bowl.
>
> Maybe they cook it longer until actually starts to burn, and then add a
> bunch of yellow dye to make it look like they just added even more sugar.

If you had a problem with the Cap'n you don't like Vector cereal. I
think it is make of flakes of plastic. The texture was a little too
hard for me to enjoy.

OT/ Taking a Break Alan S Diabetic 28 28-11-2005 04:05 AM
Taking a Break Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 68 02-05-2005 05:44 AM
Taking a break Marc Wolfe General Cooking 1 24-03-2005 12:14 PM