Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vegan lunch

My wife and I had a nice vegan lunch. When the store has fresh water chestnuts, that's what I do. Really as much of a delicious snack as a meal, but if I'd made rice with it, it would have been a meal.

1 carrot, sliced very thinly
4 water chestnuts, peeled and sliced
1 onion, cut into large pieces
1 medium size red bell pepper, cut into large pieces
~ 4 oz of white beech mushrooms *Hypsizygus marmoreus*
8 smallish sugar snap peas, sauteed separately (I don't like them)
sunflower oil for cooking
a little tamari
some roasted cashews added after plating, and in my case, cayenne pepper and extra tamari

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 11:45:03 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>My wife and I had a nice vegan lunch. When the store has fresh water chestnuts, that's what I do. Really as much of a delicious snack as a meal, but if I'd made rice with it, it would have been a meal.
>
>1 carrot, sliced very thinly
>4 water chestnuts, peeled and sliced
>1 onion, cut into large pieces
>1 medium size red bell pepper, cut into large pieces
>~ 4 oz of white beech mushrooms *Hypsizygus marmoreus*
>8 smallish sugar snap peas, sauteed separately (I don't like them)
>sunflower oil for cooking
>a little tamari
>some roasted cashews added after plating, and in my case, cayenne pepper and extra tamari
>
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/

Looks very good. Cashews, mushrooms and hot peppers would make me not
miss fish (or meat).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 11:45:03 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons wrote:

> My wife and I had a nice vegan lunch. When the store has fresh water chestnuts, that's what I do. Really as much of a delicious snack as a meal, but if I'd made rice with it, it would have been a meal.
>
> 1 carrot, sliced very thinly
> 4 water chestnuts, peeled and sliced
> 1 onion, cut into large pieces
> 1 medium size red bell pepper, cut into large pieces
> ~ 4 oz of white beech mushrooms *Hypsizygus marmoreus*
> 8 smallish sugar snap peas, sauteed separately (I don't like them)
> sunflower oil for cooking
> a little tamari
> some roasted cashews added after plating, and in my case, cayenne pepper and extra tamari
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/

Peeling water chestnuts is just wasteful and expensive for me.
They're definitely a step up from canned, but until we get street
vedors that will peel them to order like in China, I'm bowing out.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Master Bruce wrote:
> Looks very good. Cashews, mushrooms and hot peppers would make me not
> miss fish (or meat).

yep, all that is good food to me too.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Jan 2021 Master Bruce <**********r.***> wrote:
>On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 Bryan Simmons wrote:
>
>>My wife and I had a nice vegan lunch. When the store has fresh water chestnuts, that's what I do. Really as much of a delicious snack as a meal, but if I'd made rice with it, it would have been a meal.
>>
>>1 carrot, sliced very thinly
>>4 water chestnuts, peeled and sliced
>>1 onion, cut into large pieces
>>1 medium size red bell pepper, cut into large pieces
>>~ 4 oz of white beech mushrooms *Hypsizygus marmoreus*
>>8 smallish sugar snap peas, sauteed separately (I don't like them)
>>sunflower oil for cooking
>>a little tamari
>>some roasted cashews added after plating, and in my case, cayenne pepper and extra tamari
>>
>>https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/

>Looks very good. Cashews, mushrooms and hot peppers would make me not
>miss fish (or meat).

Looks good but that small portion is a starvation diet... needs a mess
of bok choy and so that I don't starve needs some kind of noodles and
a sauce (peanut).
With the busy design on that plate at first glance it looks like
there's more than there is... that is definately a portion for a young
toddler (two year old) or an ematiated POW.
I grow sugar snap peas and prefer eating them raw, and never count, I
can easily consume 30-40 while picking. That dish can use some celery
too, 'bout 4-6 lge ribs, diced on the bias. What's not to like about
sugar snap peas... that would be the best part of your medley.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Jan 2021 Master Bruce <**********r.***> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 Bryan Simmons wrote:
> >
> > > My wife and I had a nice vegan lunch. When the store has fresh
> > > water chestnuts, that's what I do. Really as much of a delicious
> > > snack as a meal, but if I'd made rice with it, it would have been
> > > a meal.
> > >
> > > 1 carrot, sliced very thinly
> > > 4 water chestnuts, peeled and sliced
> > > 1 onion, cut into large pieces
> > > 1 medium size red bell pepper, cut into large pieces
> > > ~ 4 oz of white beech mushrooms *Hypsizygus marmoreus*
> > > 8 smallish sugar snap peas, sauteed separately (I don't like them)
> > > sunflower oil for cooking
> > > a little tamari
> > > some roasted cashews added after plating, and in my case, cayenne
> > > pepper and extra tamari

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/

> > Looks very good. Cashews, mushrooms and hot peppers would make me
> > not miss fish (or meat).

> Looks good but that small portion is a starvation diet... <snip>

What part of 'snack' at the top did you miss?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 2, 2021 at 11:43:51 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 11:45:03 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons wrote:
>
> > My wife and I had a nice vegan lunch. When the store has fresh water chestnuts, that's what I do. Really as much of a delicious snack as a meal, but if I'd made rice with it, it would have been a meal.
> >
> > 1 carrot, sliced very thinly
> > 4 water chestnuts, peeled and sliced
> > 1 onion, cut into large pieces
> > 1 medium size red bell pepper, cut into large pieces
> > ~ 4 oz of white beech mushrooms *Hypsizygus marmoreus*
> > 8 smallish sugar snap peas, sauteed separately (I don't like them)
> > sunflower oil for cooking
> > a little tamari
> > some roasted cashews added after plating, and in my case, cayenne pepper and extra tamari
> >
> > https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/

> Peeling water chestnuts is just wasteful and expensive for me.
> They're definitely a step up from canned, but until we get street
> vedors that will peel them to order like in China, I'm bowing out.

It's really not bad. I do, however, wish they'd package them in smaller trays.
Slicing the carrots into 2mm coins was more trouble. The beech mushrooms
don't smell appealing raw, or when they first start to cook, but they're great
once they're done. I won't even buy canned water chestnuts anymore. Their
texture is fine, but they just don't taste good after having had the fresh ones.

I'm going to make it again today, just to use up the water chestnuts.
Yesterday, I had to toss a couple of them, and cut bad places off a couple of
others.

> -sw

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Jan 2021 08:19:07 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Sheldon Martin wrote:

>https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/
>> >
>> > Looks very good. Cashews, mushrooms and hot peppers would make me
>> > not miss fish (or meat).

>> Looks good but that small portion is a starvation diet... <snip>

>What part of 'snack' at the top did you miss?

Um, says *lunch*, shit stirrer fail!. DUH
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jan 2021 08:19:07 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >Sheldon Martin wrote:

> >https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/

> >> Looks good but that small portion is a starvation diet... <snip>

> >What part of 'snack' at the top did you miss?

> Um, says *lunch*, shit stirrer fail!. DUH

Lol...Carol has certainly been in "nagging shrew" mode lately, hasn't she...???

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Jan 2021 08:19:07 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Sheldon Martin wrote:

> delicious >> > > snack as a meal, but if I'd made rice with it, it
> would have been >> > > a meal.

> them) >> > > sunflower oil for cooking

> cayenne >> > > pepper and extra tamari

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/

> >> Looks good but that small portion is a starvation diet... <snip>

> > What part of 'snack' at the top did you miss?

> Um, says lunch, shit stirrer fail!. DUH

"Really as much of a delicious snack as a meal, but if I'd made rice
with it, it would have been a meal."

Without the rice, it became a snack.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 10:04:57 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jan 2021 08:19:07 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >Sheldon Martin wrote:

> >https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/

> >> Looks good but that small portion is a starvation diet... <snip>

> >What part of 'snack' at the top did you miss?

Sheldon couldn't be bothered to read further.

> Um, says *lunch*, shit stirrer fail!. DUH

My wife's serving wasn't much larger today, and she considered it a meal.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/

I had the rest, but still without rice, and it was lunch.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 13:16:36 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 10:04:57 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

>> >What part of 'snack' at the top did you miss?

>Sheldon couldn't be bothered to read further.
>>
>> Um, says *lunch*, shit stirrer fail!. DUH

>My wife's serving wasn't much larger today, and she considered it a meal.
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/
>
>I had the rest, but still without rice, and it was lunch.
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/

Either look like enough to me, although I don't know if I'd miss the
carb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 11:16:41 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 10:04:57 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

> > >https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/

> > >What part of 'snack' at the top did you miss?

> Sheldon couldn't be bothered to read further.
> >
> > Um, says *lunch*, shit stirrer fail!. DUH

> My wife's serving wasn't much larger today, and she considered it a meal.
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/
>
> I had the rest, but still without rice, and it was lunch.
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/
>
> --Bryan

That's some tasty stuff alright. I like making stuff like that whenever we have cashews. I could make it meatless by using tofu and it would be just as scrumptious.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1HTSJWFfdmTeDftaA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 14:09:51 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 11:16:41 AM UTC-10, wrote:

>> Sheldon couldn't be bothered to read further.
>> >
>> > Um, says *lunch*, shit stirrer fail!. DUH

>> My wife's serving wasn't much larger today, and she considered it a meal.
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/
>>
>> I had the rest, but still without rice, and it was lunch.
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/
>>
>> --Bryan

>That's some tasty stuff alright. I like making stuff like that whenever we have cashews. I could make it meatless by using tofu and it would be just as scrumptious.
>https://photos.app.goo.gl/1HTSJWFfdmTeDftaA

I like adding cashews to Asian style dishes, except I always eat them
before we get around to cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan Simmons wrote:

> On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 10:04:57 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
> > On Sun, 03 Jan 2021 08:19:07 -0600, "cshenk" >
> > wrote:

> > fresh >> > > water chestnuts, that's what I do. Really as much of a
> > delicious >> > > snack as a meal, but if I'd made rice with it, it
> > would have been >> > > a meal.

> > them) >> > > sunflower oil for cooking

> > cayenne >> > > pepper and extra tamari
> > >> > >

> > > https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...02/in/datepost
> > > ed-public/

> > me >> > not miss fish (or meat).

> > > What part of 'snack' at the top did you miss?

> Sheldon couldn't be bothered to read further.

Fairly common.

> My wife's serving wasn't much larger today, and she considered it a
> meal.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/

Not bad though if she's trim on lunch. I seem to count about 280-320
calories which may suit her diet needs.

> I had the rest, but still without rice, and it was lunch.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/

Put more Cashews in yours! Protein and calories (grin).

Now just to kibbitz, I'd have added my loved Brocolli (Gai Lan) to it
but that's just me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 11:16:41 AM UTC-10,
> wrote:
> > On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 10:04:57 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

> > > fresh >> > > water chestnuts, that's what I do. Really as much of
> > > a delicious >> > > snack as a meal, but if I'd made rice with it,
> > > it would have been >> > > a meal.

> > > like them) >> > > sunflower oil for cooking
> > > cayenne >> > > pepper and extra tamari

> > > make me >> > not miss fish (or meat).

> > > <snip>

> > Sheldon couldn't be bothered to read further.
> > >
> > > Um, says lunch, shit stirrer fail!. DUH

> > My wife's serving wasn't much larger today, and she considered it a
> > meal.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/

> > I had the rest, but still without rice, and it was lunch.
> > https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222.../in/dateposted
> > -public/
> >
> > --Bryan

> That's some tasty stuff alright. I like making stuff like that
> whenever we have cashews. I could make it meatless by using tofu and
> it would be just as scrumptious.
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/1HTSJWFfdmTeDftaA

WAAH! I want more greens!

(Yes, looks good!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 12:23:37 PM UTC-10, Master Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 14:09:51 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:

> >> Sheldon couldn't be bothered to read further.

> >> My wife's serving wasn't much larger today, and she considered it a meal.
> >> https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/
> >>
> >> I had the rest, but still without rice, and it was lunch.
> >> https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/
> >>
> >> --Bryan

> >That's some tasty stuff alright. I like making stuff like that whenever we have cashews. I could make it meatless by using tofu and it would be just as scrumptious.
> >https://photos.app.goo.gl/1HTSJWFfdmTeDftaA

> I like adding cashews to Asian style dishes, except I always eat them
> before we get around to cooking.

I get a big container of cashews from Costco but my wife likes to munch on them. Next time, I better get 2.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 17:03:40 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 12:23:37 PM UTC-10, Master Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 14:09:51 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>> >That's some tasty stuff alright. I like making stuff like that whenever we have cashews. I could make it meatless by using tofu and it would be just as scrumptious.
>> >https://photos.app.goo.gl/1HTSJWFfdmTeDftaA

>> I like adding cashews to Asian style dishes, except I always eat them
>> before we get around to cooking.

>I get a big container of cashews from Costco but my wife likes to munch on them. Next time, I better get 2.

Maybe hide 1.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 1:38:44 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 11:16:41 AM UTC-10,
> > wrote:

> > > Sheldon couldn't be bothered to read further.

> > > My wife's serving wasn't much larger today, and she considered it a
> > > meal.
> > >

> https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/
> > >
> > > I had the rest, but still without rice, and it was lunch.
> > > https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222.../in/dateposted
> > > -public/
> > >
> > > --Bryan

> > That's some tasty stuff alright. I like making stuff like that
> > whenever we have cashews. I could make it meatless by using tofu and
> > it would be just as scrumptious.
> > https://photos.app.goo.gl/1HTSJWFfdmTeDftaA

> WAAH! I want more greens!
>
> (Yes, looks good!)

I got a whole crapload of kale available. I can't say how that would work with cashew chicken.
My wife said she was hungry so I whipped up some kim chee fried rice using the pork that I cooked yesterday. My wife was astounded that I got it to her so fast. Breakfast this morning was the pork with corn tortillas. It was pretty good. I plan to cook up some kale with coconut cream and pork. That should be tasty. Maybe I'll make some Filipino adobo with the rest of the pork. Hopefully, that'll be the last of the pork.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 17:15:08 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 1:38:44 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> > That's some tasty stuff alright. I like making stuff like that
>> > whenever we have cashews. I could make it meatless by using tofu and
>> > it would be just as scrumptious.
>> > https://photos.app.goo.gl/1HTSJWFfdmTeDftaA

>> WAAH! I want more greens!
>>
>> (Yes, looks good!)

>I got a whole crapload of kale available. I can't say how that would work with cashew chicken.
>My wife said she was hungry so I whipped up some kim chee fried rice using the pork that I cooked yesterday. My wife was astounded that I got it to her so fast. Breakfast this morning was the pork with corn tortillas. It was pretty good. I plan to cook up some kale with coconut cream and pork. That should be tasty. Maybe I'll make some Filipino adobo with the rest of the pork. Hopefully, that'll be the last of the pork.

What happened to taro? Are you turning into a cracker?