Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do I need a stand mixer?

Been doing pizza, knots, bagels etc.
I add flour and stuff to a ss bowl and mix by hand for a minute or 2 then
knead as directed, 4-6 minutes, back into bowl for rise.
Is there an advantage to a power mixer? All I see is more cleanup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2020 3:32 PM, Thomas wrote:
> Been doing pizza, knots, bagels etc.
> I add flour and stuff to a ss bowl and mix by hand for a minute or 2 then
> knead as directed, 4-6 minutes, back into bowl for rise.
> Is there an advantage to a power mixer? All I see is more cleanup.

Best way to answer that is to use one. Know anyone that has one where
you can do your usual batch and compare finished product? Would be good
to see if the texture is better, or not.

Next, what else do you do or want to do? Your method sounds simple
enough and worked for centuries but with attachments there are many
options with a mixer. With cakes, you can weigh and mix ingredients in
one step. You can shred and grind ingredients. You can grind your own
meat for burgers or sausage making. You can roll and cut pasta.

Cleanup is easy. Just toss the bowl and mixer blade in the dishwasher.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 2:56:17 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 12/15/2020 3:32 PM, Thomas wrote:
> >
> > Is there an advantage to a power mixer? All I see is more cleanup.
> >

> Best way to answer that is to use one.

I love sausage balls but to me they are tedious to make by hand. All that
mixing and combing to make sure everything is blended. Throw that
Bisquick, or flour if that's your preferred flour mix, breakfast sausage,
and shredded cheese into the mixing bowl. Turn on and let mix about 3
minutes. Voilá! It's ready to scoop out, quickly roll between palms into
balls, and bake.

Fruitcake cookies are also a breeze in a stand mixer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Thomas" > wrote in message
> Been doing pizza, knots, bagels etc.
> I add flour and stuff to a ss bowl and mix by hand for a minute or 2 then
> knead as directed, 4-6 minutes, back into bowl for rise.
> Is there an advantage to a power mixer? All I see is more cleanup.

I have one. Never use it. Soo no. You don't need it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 3:32:10 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
> Been doing pizza, knots, bagels etc.
> I add flour and stuff to a ss bowl and mix by hand for a minute or 2 then
> knead as directed, 4-6 minutes, back into bowl for rise.
> Is there an advantage to a power mixer? All I see is more cleanup.

If you're satisfied with the results you're getting now, then no. If you're
tired of kneading, perhaps it's time for a change.

Some of the best pizza crust I ever made was done in the food processor.
The Cook's Illustrated team has all sorts of yeast dough recipes that
make use of the food processor, although you need a fairly beefy one.
When my husband's shoulder went bad I bought him a lightweight one,
but we kept our Kitchenaid for occasions when more heft is required
and I'm available to lift it.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 "Julie Bove" wrote:
>"Thomas" > wrote:
>
>> Been doing pizza, knots, bagels etc.
>> I add flour and stuff to a ss bowl and mix by hand for a minute or 2 then
>> knead as directed, 4-6 minutes, back into bowl for rise.
>> Is there an advantage to a power mixer? All I see is more cleanup.

>I have one. Never use it. Soo no. You don't need it.

Unless you bake a lot of bread you really don't need a stand mixer.
Years ago I did a lot more baking and lots of bread but the kids grew
up and are on their own and we don't need the calories so I gave my
stand mixer to my daughter. Now I use a Kitchen Aid hand mixer for
cake batter and such, to beat a dozen eggs for a fritatta, and for the
occasional loaf or two of bread I can knead dough by hand... I
actually enjoy kneading yeast dough by hand, reminds me of massive
bosoms and the yeast aroma reminds me of grandma's cleavage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2020 3:32 PM, Thomas wrote:
> Been doing pizza, knots, bagels etc.
> I add flour and stuff to a ss bowl and mix by hand for a minute or 2 then
> knead as directed, 4-6 minutes, back into bowl for rise.
> Is there an advantage to a power mixer? All I see is more cleanup.

I would say....depends on on how often you would use one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2020 3:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Cleanup is easy. Just toss the bowl and mixer blade in the dishwasher.

You sure do love that dishwasher, don't you?
So much easier to fill the bowl with blade with warm/hot water for a few
minutes, then hand wash it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 9:48:10 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> On 12/15/2020 3:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > Cleanup is easy. Just toss the bowl and mixer blade in the dishwasher.

> You sure do love that dishwasher, don't you?
> So much easier to fill the bowl with blade with warm/hot water for a few
> minutes, then hand wash it.

No. It's much easier to put it in the dishwasher along with all my other
dishes and then put it away when it's clean.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2020 12:32 PM, Thomas wrote:
> Been doing pizza, knots, bagels etc.
> I add flour and stuff to a ss bowl and mix by hand for a minute or 2 then
> knead as directed, 4-6 minutes, back into bowl for rise.
> Is there an advantage to a power mixer? All I see is more cleanup.

Might you cook more of the same or different items if you had a stand mixer?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2020 9:47 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 12/15/2020 3:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Cleanup is easy.Â* Just toss the bowl and mixer blade in the dishwasher.

> You sure do love that dishwasher, don't you?
> So much easier to fill the bowl with blade with warm/hot water for a few
> minutes, then hand wash it.

Yes, I do. You use about the same amount of water and energy to wash it
by hand than my machine does to do a full load of dishes.

There are a few thing I do by hand but the machine does a great job,
easily.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Thomas" > wrote in message
> > Been doing pizza, knots, bagels etc.
> > I add flour and stuff to a ss bowl and mix by hand for a minute or
> > 2 then knead as directed, 4-6 minutes, back into bowl for rise.
> > Is there an advantage to a power mixer? All I see is more cleanup.

> I have one. Never use it. Soo no. You don't need it.

I don't have one. No need. Unless there is a disability involved,
such is not 'required' in a home kitchen.

If a disability is involved, multi-function devices tend to be worse,
not better at resolving it.

Thomas, if hand kneading isn't a problem for you, A device that does it
for you is just gadjetry that you don't need.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 12/16/2020 9:47 AM, Gary wrote:
> > On 12/15/2020 3:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >> Cleanup is easy. Just toss the bowl and mixer blade in the dishwasher.

> > You sure do love that dishwasher, don't you?
> > So much easier to fill the bowl with blade with warm/hot water for a few
> > minutes, then hand wash it.
> >

> Yes, I do. You use about the same amount of water and energy to wash it
> by hand than my machine does to do a full load of dishes.
>
> There are a few thing I do by hand but the machine does a great job,
> easily.

So Ed here chooses to be "Mr. Modern" ;-)

There's a funny old documentary film (in Technicolor) that was produced for the 1939 NY World's Fair by Westinghouse. "The Middleton Family at the New York World's Fair" centers around a "typical" American family - in this case visiting from Indiana - visiting the Westinghouse Pavilion and oogling all of the wonders that would be forthcoming in "the future". These include air conditioning, modern kitchens, a time capsule to be opened in 6939 that shows "all the facets of modern 1939 life", oscilloscopes, a wisecracking cigarette - smoking robot named "Electro", and in one hilarious bit there is a "Battle of the Century" stage show ("Watch the Soapsuds Fly in the Battle of the Century!") featuring "Mrs. Drudge" and "Mrs. Modern" Mrs. Drudge does dishes the old exhausting way, e.g. by hand. Mrs. Modern uses a snazzy new Westinghouse dishwasher, that way can lounge about reading the newspaper whilst the automatic dishwasher does the drudge work; the harried Mrs. Drudge throws down her dishcloth in disgust! The MC shows dishes from the dishwasher, exclaiming, "Look at this folks, these dishes are clean AND dry...!!!" This film has an interesting slant, as it is a very blatant and risible plug for US - style CAPITALISM. It's on the Library of Congress site to watch, you will enjoy it [it is an hour long]:

"Summary: "This drama illustrates the contribution of free enterprise, technology, and Westinghouse products to the American way of life. The Middleton Family at the New York World's Fair pits an anti-capitalist bohemian artist boyfriend against an all-American electrical engineer who believes in improving society by working through corporations. The Middletons experience Westinghouse's technological marvels at the Fair and win back their daughter from her leftist boyfriend"

[NOTE: a very young and pretty Marjorie Lord, who would later play the wife on "Danny Thomas Show" is featured as daughter "Babs"!]

https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs00021068/

A shorter two -minute vid showing the "Battle of the Century" dishwashing competition:

"Battle of the Century: Part of the film "The Middletons at the Fair" showing Westinghouse's new dishwasher. Here is the competition between "Mrs. Modern" and "Mrs. Drudge" as they show the audience who will rule in the kitchen of the future."

https://youtu.be/vH2Lpl-UB64

Here is some fun stuff about the Westinghouse Time Capsule:

https://www.1939nyworldsfair.com/wor...econtents..htm

</>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 "Julie Bove" wrote:
>> "Thomas" > wrote:
>>
>>> Been doing pizza, knots, bagels etc.
>>> I add flour and stuff to a ss bowl and mix by hand for a minute or 2 then
>>> knead as directed, 4-6 minutes, back into bowl for rise.
>>> Is there an advantage to a power mixer? All I see is more cleanup.

>> I have one. Never use it. Soo no. You don't need it.

> Unless you bake a lot of bread you really don't need a stand mixer.
> Years ago I did a lot more baking and lots of bread but the kids grew
> up and are on their own and we don't need the calories so I gave my
> stand mixer to my daughter. Now I use a Kitchen Aid hand mixer for
> cake batter and such, to beat a dozen eggs for a fritatta, and for the
> occasional loaf or two of bread I can knead dough by hand... I
> actually enjoy kneading yeast dough by hand, reminds me of massive
> bosoms and the yeast aroma reminds me of grandma's cleavage.

So granny had stinky titties Popeye?

Bet she never washed them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-12-16 9:47 a.m., Gary wrote:
> On 12/15/2020 3:32 PM, Thomas wrote:
>> Been doing pizza, knots, bagels etc.
>> I add flour and stuff to a ss bowl and mix by hand for a minute or 2 then
>> knead as directed, 4-6 minutes, back into bowl for rise.
>> Is there an advantage to a power mixer? All I see is more cleanup.
>>

> I would say....depends on on how often you would use one.

That is the way I feel about it. I have a good KitchenAid hand mixer. It
works for most of the things I do. I have been making pizza dough quie
often lately and use it to mix the dough. If I had a good stand mixer
with dough hooks it would make things easier. I manage with the smaller
one. The one thing I could really use one for is my Christmas fruit
cakes, but that it only once a year. I figure that it is not worth the
cost or the storage space.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-12-16 10:25 a.m., Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 12/15/2020 12:32 PM, Thomas wrote:
>> Been doing pizza, knots, bagels etc.
>> I add flour and stuff to a ss bowl and mix by hand for a minute or 2 then
>> knead as directed, 4-6 minutes, back into bowl for rise.
>> Is there an advantage to a power mixer? All I see is more cleanup.
>>

> Might you cook more of the same or different items if you had a stand
> mixer?

They might be like a lot of other small appliances. You use them a lot
when you first get them, but after a while they end up in a cupboard or
in the basement and then they go to a garage sale along with the waffle
irons and bread makers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 09:47:57 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>On 12/15/2020 3:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Cleanup is easy. Just toss the bowl and mixer blade in the dishwasher.

>You sure do love that dishwasher, don't you?
>So much easier to fill the bowl with blade with warm/hot water for a few
>minutes, then hand wash it.

No way, silly man!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 10:44:38 AM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/16/2020 9:47 AM, Gary wrote:
> > On 12/15/2020 3:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >> Cleanup is easy. Just toss the bowl and mixer blade in the dishwasher.

> > You sure do love that dishwasher, don't you?
> > So much easier to fill the bowl with blade with warm/hot water for a few
> > minutes, then hand wash it.
> >

> Yes, I do. You use about the same amount of water and energy to wash it
> by hand than my machine does to do a full load of dishes.
>
> There are a few thing I do by hand but the machine does a great job,
> easily.

We have a 10 year old Whirlpool dishwasher that still works, but not well,
and there are a few broken off tines on the racks. Right now there's a
super deal online.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/361781...posted-public/

Oh, and I'm out of quarantine today! My wife and son still have 3 more days.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2020 12:28 PM, GM wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>

>> Yes, I do. You use about the same amount of water and energy to wash it
>> by hand than my machine does to do a full load of dishes.
>>
>> There are a few thing I do by hand but the machine does a great job,
>> easily.

> So Ed here chooses to be "Mr. Modern" ;-)
>

> A shorter two -minute vid showing the "Battle of the Century" dishwashing competition:
>
> "Battle of the Century: Part of the film "The Middletons at the Fair" showing Westinghouse's new dishwasher. Here is the competition between "Mrs. Modern" and "Mrs. Drudge" as they show the audience who will rule in the kitchen of the future."
>
> https://youtu.be/vH2Lpl-UB64
>
> Here is some fun stuff about the Westinghouse Time Capsule:
>
> https://www.1939nyworldsfair.com/wor...lecontents.htm

Not every appliance makes sense but the DW sure does. Drop in a
detergent pod, push a couple of buttons and you have dishes cleaned and
sanitized. I also attribute that to a very low incidence of sickness in
the family over the years. Very few colds in our house.

The time capsule is neat but will it be found that far in the future?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 09:47:57 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>On 12/15/2020 3:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Cleanup is easy. Just toss the bowl and mixer blade in the dishwasher.

>You sure do love that dishwasher, don't you?
>So much easier to fill the bowl with blade with warm/hot water for a few
>minutes, then hand wash it.

Nothing is easier to hand wash than a bowl and a dough hook... fill
the bowl with hot tap water, add dishwashing liquid, the dough hook
and anything else needs washing... in less than five minutes
everything is clean, dried, and put away. Living alone you can't
possibly have much kitchen washing unless you're a slob.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 09:47:57 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> On 12/15/2020 3:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> Cleanup is easy. Just toss the bowl and mixer blade in the dishwasher.

>> You sure do love that dishwasher, don't you?
>> So much easier to fill the bowl with blade with warm/hot water for a few
>> minutes, then hand wash it.

> Nothing is easier to hand wash than a bowl and a dough hook... fill
> the bowl with hot tap water, add dishwashing liquid, the dough hook
> and anything else needs washing... in less than five minutes
> everything is clean, dried, and put away. Living alone you can't
> possibly have much kitchen washing unless you're a slob.

Popeye, remember when yoose cleaned all them sailor's knobs?

Back then, there wasn't a penis in the atlantic fleet you didn't
polish.

Yoose a fine sailor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message
> On 12/15/2020 3:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Cleanup is easy. Just toss the bowl and mixer blade in the dishwasher.

> You sure do love that dishwasher, don't you?
> So much easier to fill the bowl with blade with warm/hot water for a few
> minutes, then hand wash it.

I never use my dishwasher. It's too cumbersome to load and unload and I have
to wait for it to be done. Plus I have many things that are not dishwasher
safe. I just hand wash as I go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 02:01:51 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message
>> On 12/15/2020 3:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> Cleanup is easy. Just toss the bowl and mixer blade in the dishwasher.

>> You sure do love that dishwasher, don't you?
>> So much easier to fill the bowl with blade with warm/hot water for a few
>> minutes, then hand wash it.

>I never use my dishwasher. It's too cumbersome to load and unload and I have
>to wait for it to be done. Plus I have many things that are not dishwasher
>safe. I just hand wash as I go.

That's alright, Gary. Older folk can be horse and carriage kind of
people.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

"Gary" > wrote in message
> On 12/15/2020 3:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Cleanup is easy. Just toss the bowl and mixer blade in the dishwasher.

> You sure do love that dishwasher, don't you?
> So much easier to fill the bowl with blade with warm/hot water for a few
> minutes, then hand wash it.

I never use my dishwasher. It's too cumbersome to load and unload and I have
to wait for it to be done. Plus I have many things that are not dishwasher
safe. I just hand wash as I go.

===

I love my dishwasher and my rice cooker)) I use them all the time)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2020 5:04 AM, Master Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 02:01:51 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> You sure do love that dishwasher, don't you?
>>> So much easier to fill the bowl with blade with warm/hot water for a few
>>> minutes, then hand wash it.

>> I never use my dishwasher. It's too cumbersome to load and unload and I have
>> to wait for it to be done. Plus I have many things that are not dishwasher
>> safe. I just hand wash as I go.

> That's alright, Gary. Older folk can be horse and carriage kind of
> people.

"If it ain't broke..."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2020 5:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> On 12/15/2020 3:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> Cleanup is easy. Just toss the bowl and mixer blade in the dishwasher.

>> You sure do love that dishwasher, don't you?
>> So much easier to fill the bowl with blade with warm/hot water for a
>> few minutes, then hand wash it.

> I never use my dishwasher. It's too cumbersome to load and unload and I
> have
> to wait for it to be done. Plus I have many things that are not dishwasher
> safe. I just hand wash as I go.
>
> ===
>
> I love my dishwasher and my rice cooker)) I use them all the time

And you can cook rice in your dishwasher too, as the other stuff is
cleaning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 4:04:15 AM UTC-6, Master Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 02:01:51 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

> >> You sure do love that dishwasher, don't you?
> >> So much easier to fill the bowl with blade with warm/hot water for a few
> >> minutes, then hand wash it.

> >I never use my dishwasher. It's too cumbersome to load and unload and I have
> >to wait for it to be done. Plus I have many things that are not dishwasher
> >safe. I just hand wash as I go.

> That's alright, Gary. Older folk can be horse and carriage kind of
> people.

If you want to know the most ****ed up and stupid way to do anything, just
look at how Julie does it.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 "Julie Bove" wrote:
>"Gary" wrote:
>> On 12/15/2020 Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> Cleanup is easy. Just toss the bowl and mixer blade in the dishwasher.

>> You sure do love that dishwasher, don't you?
>> So much easier to fill the bowl with blade with warm/hot water for a few
>> minutes, then hand wash it.

>I never use my dishwasher. It's too cumbersome to load and unload and I have
>to wait for it to be done. Plus I have many things that are not dishwasher
>safe. I just hand wash as I go.

That's what I do.

We use the dishwasher when we have company but now it's very rare that
we have company. With just the two of us there are not enough dishes
and half the time we eat from paper plates. The cats food bowls are
washed by hand too but very often they are fed on our used paper
plates. We much prefer to eat fried eggs from paper plates, they suck
up most of those grease calories. We buy the least costly paper
plates by the case, $9.99 for a case of 1,000 at BJs... just plain
white with no designs and no plastic coating so they are very
absorbant and compostable. Paper plates work well for any fried
foods, sandwiches, and snacks... for me a paper towel on a cutting
board is very sufficiant for a sandwich. My wife drinks about a dozen
cups of tea a day but she hand washes her own cups same as each
evening I hand wash my Crystal Palace glass. When I used to live
alone I had no dishwasher, I had no use for one.
We have a top of the line Maytag, with all the extras, and a SS
interior, but we rarely use it for other than storing used plastic
freezer containers for washing and turn it on at most four times a
year, plastic freezer containers don't wash well by hand, especially
when stained by tomato sauce. I also hand wash all my
cookware/bakeware, and anything made of aluminum, like my meat
grinder. I also hand wash any items that I will need to use again
soon, and of course all cutlery and kitchenware with wooden handles. I
can't understand why yoose who live alone use a dishwasher for one
place setting... how much effort is it to hand wash one plate, one
salad/soup bowl and one fork and spoon. I hand wash with very hot
water and wear heavy duty rubber gloves. I like those green Nitrile
gloves, I don't feel the hot water and they last forever, okay, ten
years, maybe longer.
https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sear...OfRe sults=24
When I was young I coulda used strong nitrile condoms. hehe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 08:34:57 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>On 12/17/2020 5:04 AM, Master Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 02:01:51 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> I never use my dishwasher. It's too cumbersome to load and unload and I have
>>> to wait for it to be done. Plus I have many things that are not dishwasher
>>> safe. I just hand wash as I go.

>> That's alright, Gary. Older folk can be horse and carriage kind of
>> people.
>>

>"If it ain't broke..."

If we all thought like you, you'd be living in a cave, wearing buffalo
skins.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

On 12/17/2020 5:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> On 12/15/2020 3:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> Cleanup is easy. Just toss the bowl and mixer blade in the dishwasher.

>> You sure do love that dishwasher, don't you?
>> So much easier to fill the bowl with blade with warm/hot water for a
>> few minutes, then hand wash it.

> I never use my dishwasher. It's too cumbersome to load and unload and I
> have
> to wait for it to be done. Plus I have many things that are not dishwasher
> safe. I just hand wash as I go.
>
> ===
>
> I love my dishwasher and my rice cooker)) I use them all the time

And you can cook rice in your dishwasher too, as the other stuff is
cleaning.
===

Hmm You need too describe how I do that please))))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 12:32:05 -0800 (PST), Thomas wrote:

> Been doing pizza, knots, bagels etc.
> I add flour and stuff to a ss bowl and mix by hand for a minute or 2 then
> knead as directed, 4-6 minutes, back into bowl for rise.
> Is there an advantage to a power mixer? All I see is more cleanup.

I have a stand mixer in the corner of the counter on a wicker mat so
it pulls out and pushes back in easily. I never use it, favoring
mixing/kneeding by hand, or using a hand-held electric mixer.
Though I might break it out next time I make old-fashioned fudge -
that shit kicks my ass (and my carpal tunnel).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 14:58:34 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 12:32:05 -0800 (PST), Thomas wrote:
>
>> Been doing pizza, knots, bagels etc.
>> I add flour and stuff to a ss bowl and mix by hand for a minute or 2 then
>> knead as directed, 4-6 minutes, back into bowl for rise.
>> Is there an advantage to a power mixer? All I see is more cleanup.

>I have a stand mixer in the corner of the counter on a wicker mat so
>it pulls out and pushes back in easily. I never use it

Handy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-12-18 3:58 p.m., Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 12:32:05 -0800 (PST), Thomas wrote:
>
>> Been doing pizza, knots, bagels etc.
>> I add flour and stuff to a ss bowl and mix by hand for a minute or 2 then
>> knead as directed, 4-6 minutes, back into bowl for rise.
>> Is there an advantage to a power mixer? All I see is more cleanup.

> I have a stand mixer in the corner of the counter on a wicker mat so
> it pulls out and pushes back in easily. I never use it, favoring
> mixing/kneeding by hand, or using a hand-held electric mixer.
> Though I might break it out next time I make old-fashioned fudge -
> that shit kicks my ass (and my carpal tunnel).

Yesterday was the first time I missed having a good stand mixer. I was
making gingerbread cookies and the dough was way heavier than I
expected. Toward the end my trusty old hand held mixer was starting to
bog down and smell funny. I hope that I did not burn it out.

On a related note.... while I was out in the car I was listening to an
interview with a master gingerbread maker. She spoke about growing up in
Argentina and having to whip egg whites with a fork and the special
technique involved. Then one day her parents bought a mixer and how
thrilled she was to have this new technology that made beating egg
whites to much easier. It was a hand powered mixer. I remember those
things from my youth. I don't think I ever owned one myself, but my
mother had one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 18, 2020 at 4:03:14 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> while I was out in the car I was listening to an
> interview with a master gingerbread maker. She spoke about growing up in
> Argentina and having to whip egg whites with a fork and the special
> technique involved. Then one day her parents bought a mixer and how
> thrilled she was to have this new technology that made beating egg
> whites to much easier. It was a hand powered mixer. I remember those
> things from my youth. I don't think I ever owned one myself, but my
> mother had one.

https://i.postimg.cc/DzjHfdw0/Mixer.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 18, 2020 at 12:03:14 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-12-18 3:58 p.m., Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 12:32:05 -0800 (PST), Thomas wrote:
> >
> >> Been doing pizza, knots, bagels etc.
> >> I add flour and stuff to a ss bowl and mix by hand for a minute or 2 then
> >> knead as directed, 4-6 minutes, back into bowl for rise.
> >> Is there an advantage to a power mixer? All I see is more cleanup.

> > I have a stand mixer in the corner of the counter on a wicker mat so
> > it pulls out and pushes back in easily. I never use it, favoring
> > mixing/kneeding by hand, or using a hand-held electric mixer.
> > Though I might break it out next time I make old-fashioned fudge -
> > that shit kicks my ass (and my carpal tunnel).

> Yesterday was the first time I missed having a good stand mixer. I was
> making gingerbread cookies and the dough was way heavier than I
> expected. Toward the end my trusty old hand held mixer was starting to
> bog down and smell funny. I hope that I did not burn it out.
>
> On a related note.... while I was out in the car I was listening to an
> interview with a master gingerbread maker. She spoke about growing up in
> Argentina and having to whip egg whites with a fork and the special
> technique involved. Then one day her parents bought a mixer and how
> thrilled she was to have this new technology that made beating egg
> whites to much easier. It was a hand powered mixer. I remember those
> things from my youth. I don't think I ever owned one myself, but my
> mother had one.

My step-mom makes Swedish gingerbread cookies. They are quite thin. My daughter and granddaughter are going to her house to bake some cookies. The cookies are okay but a bit on the boring side. Hopefully they'll make something with a little more zing.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zPRazpU89zbU4kBw5

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2020-12-18 3:58 p.m., Sqwertz wrote:
> > I have a stand mixer in the corner of the counter on a wicker mat so
> > it pulls out and pushes back in easily. I never use it, favoring
> > mixing/kneeding by hand, or using a hand-held electric mixer.
> > Though I might break it out next time I make old-fashioned fudge -
> > that shit kicks my ass (and my carpal tunnel).

> Yesterday was the first time I missed having a good stand mixer. I
> was making gingerbread cookies and the dough was way heavier than I
> expected. Toward the end my trusty old hand held mixer was starting
> to bog down and smell funny. I hope that I did not burn it out.

Hope not!

> On a related note.... while I was out in the car I was listening to
> an interview with a master gingerbread maker. She spoke about growing
> up in Argentina and having to whip egg whites with a fork and the
> special technique involved. Then one day her parents bought a mixer
> and how thrilled she was to have this new technology that made
> beating egg whites to much easier. It was a hand powered mixer. I
> remember those things from my youth. I don't think I ever owned one
> myself, but my mother had one.

I have one. Gets used sometimes, mostly when doing a Quiche (an
occasional thing for me).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 14:18:16 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, December 18, 2020 at 4:03:14 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> while I was out in the car I was listening to an
>> interview with a master gingerbread maker. She spoke about growing up in
>> Argentina and having to whip egg whites with a fork and the special
>> technique involved. Then one day her parents bought a mixer and how
>> thrilled she was to have this new technology that made beating egg
>> whites to much easier. It was a hand powered mixer. I remember those
>> things from my youth. I don't think I ever owned one myself, but my
>> mother had one.
>>

>https://i.postimg.cc/DzjHfdw0/Mixer.jpg

I have one of those. I use it all the time if I need to whip up a
couple of egg whites or a small amount of whipped cream. I'm 68, so
perhaps using a hand mixer like that is a function of my age.

Oh, I also own a KitchenAid stand mixer, a blender, a stick blender,
and a food processor. Each one has its own uses.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doris Night wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 14:18:16 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> > On Friday, December 18, 2020 at 4:03:14 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> > >
> >> while I was out in the car I was listening to an
> >> interview with a master gingerbread maker. She spoke about growing

> up in >> Argentina and having to whip egg whites with a fork and the
> special >> technique involved. Then one day her parents bought a
> mixer and how >> thrilled she was to have this new technology that
> made beating egg >> whites to much easier. It was a hand powered
> mixer. I remember those >> things from my youth. I don't think I ever
> owned one myself, but my >> mother had one.
> > >

> > https://i.postimg.cc/DzjHfdw0/Mixer.jpg

> I have one of those. I use it all the time if I need to whip up a
> couple of egg whites or a small amount of whipped cream. I'm 68, so
> perhaps using a hand mixer like that is a function of my age.
>
> Oh, I also own a KitchenAid stand mixer, a blender, a stick blender,
> and a food processor. Each one has its own uses.
>
> Doris

Think of it this way Doris, when we were young, we didn't use as much
electricity as the folks in their 30's do. We generally don't reach
for an electrical device if we have a perfectly suitable manual tool
for the same thing.

Stand mixer limey Cooking Equipment 4 15-07-2005 01:00 AM
Stand mixer limey General Cooking 3 15-07-2005 12:51 AM
Which KA stand mixer? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 9 06-07-2005 08:58 PM
Best stand mixer? GingerRose Baking 11 27-07-2004 03:05 PM
Stand Mixer jmk Cooking Equipment 7 14-04-2004 01:28 AM