jmk

Default Stand Mixer

I was in charge of making the bread products for my family's Easter
dinner. I went to use my KitchenAid Pro 6 stand mixer on Saturday and
nothing happened when I turned it on. :-( The mixer is only a year and
a half old and it is my second stand mixer. I use it often enough that
I feel that I should replace it. I am looking for recommendations
(specific models please) for a replacement. Any pointers would be
appreciated!
--
jmk in NC
Kate Dicey

jmk wrote:

> I was in charge of making the bread products for my family's Easter
> dinner. I went to use my KitchenAid Pro 6 stand mixer on Saturday and
> nothing happened when I turned it on. :-( The mixer is only a year and
> a half old and it is my second stand mixer. I use it often enough that
> I feel that I should replace it. I am looking for recommendations
> (specific models please) for a replacement. Any pointers would be
> appreciated!
> --
> jmk in NC

has it blown a fuse? Fuses are cheaper than mixers.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Wayne Boatwright

jmk > wrote in -
berlin.de:

> I was in charge of making the bread products for my family's Easter
> dinner. I went to use my KitchenAid Pro 6 stand mixer on Saturday and
> nothing happened when I turned it on. :-( The mixer is only a year and
> a half old and it is my second stand mixer. I use it often enough that
> I feel that I should replace it. I am looking for recommendations
> (specific models please) for a replacement. Any pointers would be
> appreciated!

Take a look at the Viking.

Wayne
jmk

On 4/12/2004 8:47 AM, Kate Dicey wrote:

> jmk wrote:
>
>>I was in charge of making the bread products for my family's Easter
>>dinner. I went to use my KitchenAid Pro 6 stand mixer on Saturday and
>>nothing happened when I turned it on. :-( The mixer is only a year and
>>a half old and it is my second stand mixer. I use it often enough that
>>I feel that I should replace it. I am looking for recommendations
>>(specific models please) for a replacement. Any pointers would be
>>appreciated!
>>--
>>jmk in NC

> has it blown a fuse? Fuses are cheaper than mixers.

We took the top off and it does not appear to have blown a fuse. I will
double check though.

--
jmk in NC
Kim

I absolutely love my Electrolux Assistant DLX. I also have a small
Kitchen aid, but after getting used to the DLX, it is the one that I
have on my countertop. Some weird things about this mixer is:
o It didn't come with very good instructions. The bread hook is
stationary and the bowl spins. I have found it to be far superior to the
Kitchen aid because the kneading action is better. I have made some
simple breads and some fancy breads like Brioche. I don't let it run
unattended, but help the dough knead by pushing it around with a spatula.
o The mixing action is softer so that any butter really needs to be room
temperature. The mixing wheel acts more like magic fingers.
o A really good thing is that there is lots of room between the bowl and
the mixer wheel for introducing ingredients into the bowl.
o The whisk works exceedingly fast. It moves and the bowl stays
stationary. There are two whisks so care must be taken to not over whip.
Unfortunately (or maybe not) the bowl is plastic. It would be nice to
have a copper alternative.

I have made many cakes with this mixer. I bake for 60 people at a time.
The bowl is really huge.

Kim

jmk wrote:

> I was in charge of making the bread products for my family's Easter
> dinner. I went to use my KitchenAid Pro 6 stand mixer on Saturday and
> nothing happened when I turned it on. :-( The mixer is only a year
> and a half old and it is my second stand mixer. I use it often enough
> that I feel that I should replace it. I am looking for
> recommendations (specific models please) for a replacement. Any
> pointers would be appreciated!

jmk

Thanks for the info. How does it do with bread doughs?

On 4/12/2004 8:16 PM, Kim wrote:
> I absolutely love my Electrolux Assistant DLX. I also have a small
> Kitchen aid, but after getting used to the DLX, it is the one that I
> have on my countertop. Some weird things about this mixer is:
> o It didn't come with very good instructions. The bread hook is
> stationary and the bowl spins. I have found it to be far superior to the
> Kitchen aid because the kneading action is better. I have made some
> simple breads and some fancy breads like Brioche. I don't let it run
> unattended, but help the dough knead by pushing it around with a spatula.
> o The mixing action is softer so that any butter really needs to be room
> temperature. The mixing wheel acts more like magic fingers.
> o A really good thing is that there is lots of room between the bowl and
> the mixer wheel for introducing ingredients into the bowl.
> o The whisk works exceedingly fast. It moves and the bowl stays
> stationary. There are two whisks so care must be taken to not over whip.
> Unfortunately (or maybe not) the bowl is plastic. It would be nice to
> have a copper alternative.
>
> I have made many cakes with this mixer. I bake for 60 people at a time.
> The bowl is really huge.
>
> Kim
>
> jmk wrote:
>
>> I was in charge of making the bread products for my family's Easter
>> dinner. I went to use my KitchenAid Pro 6 stand mixer on Saturday and
>> nothing happened when I turned it on. :-( The mixer is only a year
>> and a half old and it is my second stand mixer. I use it often enough
>> that I feel that I should replace it. I am looking for
>> recommendations (specific models please) for a replacement. Any
>> pointers would be appreciated!

--
jmk in NC
wff_ng_6

"jmk" > wrote:
> Thanks for the info. How does it do with bread doughs?

I have one also and agree with most of the points that Kim made. I've had
mine for 5 years. I've made hundreds of loaves of bread during that time.

I use mine most often for bread. The thing I make most often is rye bread
with around 16 cups of flour (about half rye/half bread flour), making four
large loaves. Lately I've also started making pizza dough in it, with around
two cups of flour. It does both the large and small batches well.

With bread and pizza dough, I use the dough hook which did not come standard
with the machine at the time I got it. It came with the standard roller
system and the whisking bowl. I use the standard roller system for cake
batters, pie fillings, cookie doughs, etc.

This mixer has been sold under several brand names over the years. Mine is a
"Magic Mill". I've also seen it sold under the "Electrolux" and "AEG" brand
names. It was made in Sweden (at least it was 5 years ago!) and came with a
3 year warranty.

Boron Elgar

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:54:45 -0400, jmk > wrote:

>Thanks for the info. How does it do with bread doughs?

I have made up to 12 lbs of heavy bread dough at a time in the DLX. I
have never approached its capacity (17lbs). It is a breeze. It also
performs flawlessly with smaller amounts. I have one specialty bread
that needs 20 minutes of kneading and it turns the dough into silk.
Lovely machine.

It is pricey, though, and if you are not a serious baker, I would
stick to top of the line KA or preferably, a "new" older model
Kenwood, if it could be found.

Boron

I now have a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer phaeton General Cooking 18 17-06-2009 09:44 PM
Stand mixer limey Cooking Equipment 4 15-07-2005 01:00 AM
Stand mixer limey General Cooking 3 15-07-2005 12:51 AM
Which KA stand mixer? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 9 06-07-2005 08:58 PM
Best stand mixer? GingerRose Baking 11 27-07-2004 03:05 PM