Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Disgusting!

On Tuesday, November 3, 2020 at 10:54:41 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, November 2, 2020 at 2:56:44 AM UTC-10, John Kuthe wrote:
> > On Sunday, November 1, 2020 at 10:15:13 AM UTC-6, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> > > Caramelized can be good. Burnt is never a plus.
> > >
> > > --Bryan

> > Burnt gets one al the Carbon they need in their diet! ;-)
> >

> > John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist, Suburban Renewalist and Vegetarian

> It's different than when your mom burnt food. For one thing, it's entirely
> on purpose, not accidental. My burnt food doesn't taste like burnt food,
> beats me why it doesn't. When your mom burnt food, it tasted awful. My food
> tastes awesome.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...1DrOgjBR5j29Bd
>
> ====
>
> That looks lovely. Please list the things on it??

That burnt stuff is lemon grass chicken, the stuff on the right is Korean kim chee. It's a spicy plate so probably not something you'd care for.

OTOH, I ate some won ton min for breakfast at a restaurant. This is a saimin with won tons in it. My daughter had some Korean fried chicken. I had a piece. I think you would have enjoyed it.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...jflg_Q2eqqZrZN

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/conte...aking-comeback
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/4/2020 8:25 AM, songbird wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>> Bryan Simmons wrote:

>>> Count me among them. Pork chops and beef T-Bone/Porterhouse are
>>> favorites. Something you never see anymore, at least in these parts, is
>>> bone-in sirloin steaks. Those had great bones for gnawing.

>> I like gnawing on a bone too but not inbetween 2 slices of
>> bread with maybe some mayo. No wonder the "older black guy"
>> gave Ed his lunch sandwiches.
>> It's odd and definitely not "soul food."
>>
>> A much better version would be to pull off some meat to
>> make a sandwich, then put the meaty bone in a separate
>> baggie to gnaw on.

> you must remember that "back in the day" they didn't
> have baggies. Grandma sent the kids to school with
> their sandwiches wrapped in newspaper and tied with
> string and woe to the kid that did not bring the string
> back home...
>

> songbird (no, i'm not kidding, i heard this from
> several of the uncles...

LOL I would think it would be waxed paper, definitely not "baggies".
Don't know about newspaper. String would definitely be valuable thing
and reused. Ditto paper bags for taking the wrapped sandwiches to
school for lunch. "Back in the day" in my world means Depression era and
my parents.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 11:14:12 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> On 11/4/2020 8:25 AM, songbird wrote:
> > Gary wrote:

> >> I like gnawing on a bone too but not inbetween 2 slices of
> >> bread with maybe some mayo. No wonder the "older black guy"
> >> gave Ed his lunch sandwiches.
> >> It's odd and definitely not "soul food."
> >>
> >> A much better version would be to pull off some meat to
> >> make a sandwich, then put the meaty bone in a separate
> >> baggie to gnaw on.

> > you must remember that "back in the day" they didn't
> > have baggies. Grandma sent the kids to school with
> > their sandwiches wrapped in newspaper and tied with
> > string and woe to the kid that did not bring the string
> > back home...
> >

> > songbird (no, i'm not kidding, i heard this from
> > several of the uncles...
> >

> LOL I would think it would be waxed paper, definitely not "baggies".
> Don't know about newspaper. String would definitely be valuable thing
> and reused. Ditto paper bags for taking the wrapped sandwiches to
> school for lunch. "Back in the day" in my world means Depression era and
> my parents.
>
> Jill

"Back in the day" for me is _my_ day, not my parents' day. 1960s and 1970s,
not 1930s and 1940s.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/4/2020 11:18 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 11:14:12 AM UTC-5, wrote:

>>> you must remember that "back in the day" they didn't
>>> have baggies. Grandma sent the kids to school with
>>> their sandwiches wrapped in newspaper and tied with
>>> string and woe to the kid that did not bring the string
>>> back home...
>>>

>>> songbird (no, i'm not kidding, i heard this from
>>> several of the uncles...
>>>

>> LOL I would think it would be waxed paper, definitely not "baggies".
>> Don't know about newspaper. String would definitely be valuable thing
>> and reused. Ditto paper bags for taking the wrapped sandwiches to
>> school for lunch. "Back in the day" in my world means Depression era and
>> my parents.
>>
>> Jill

> "Back in the day" for me is _my_ day, not my parents' day. 1960s and 1970s,
> not 1930s and 1940s.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Okey doke! Did you take sandwiches for lunch and if so what were they
wrapped in? I remember early baggies with PB sandwiches and a baggie
with potato chips. Packed in a paper lunch bag. Later, first grade
(1966) I got a metal lunch box (Scotch plaid) with a small thermos that
fit in the lunch box. Still got potato chips and a PB sandwich in
plastic baggies but also took a thermos full of cold milk to school.
Occasionally Mom would put a Hostess Cupcake in the lunch box.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:43:40 AM UTC-6, Graham wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 07:22:53 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>
> > My mom always used waxed paper but no string and we got a paper
> > bag to tote our lunch to school in.
> >

> Throughout elementary and high school, I sat down with nearly all my fellow
> pupils in a ding hall to a 2 course lunch. Only children from the very
> poorest families brought sandwiches and they were not scorned by fellow
> pupils either.

I would say half of the kids in elementary school brought their lunch and
about half of the teachers would, too. I also got 4¢ each day for a carton
of milk.

Speaking of milk. I remember when the school's supplier of milk switched
to a flat top carton and a representative came to school to demonstrate to
each class how to open this new fangled thing.

This was not the brand we got in elementary school but here's a picture of
that flat top carton that is similar to what we had.

https://i.postimg.cc/rwgFS03m/Flat-Top-Milk-Carton.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Nov 2020 06:35:25 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bryan Simmons wrote:

>> > You'd be amazed to find out a LOT of people dearly love to gnaw and
>> > suck on the bones, especially pork chops.

>> Count me among them. Pork chops and beef T-Bone/Porterhouse are
>> favorites. Something you never see anymore, at least in these parts, is
>> bone-in sirloin steaks. Those had great bones for gnawing.

>I like gnawing on a bone too but not inbetween 2 slices of
>bread with maybe some mayo. No wonder the "older black guy"
>gave Ed his lunch sandwiches.
>It's odd and definitely not "soul food."

We're white men, Gary. We don't know what soul food is. Pretending we
do, is cultural appropriation. VERBOTEN!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Nov 2020 06:34:32 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>> Please describe, Chicken McNuggets' ?

>You won't like the smell.

Do you think it's true that they grind up live little roosters in
McDonalds factories, feathers and beaks and all, and then shape the
result into McNuggets?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/4/2020 11:39 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> Okey doke! Did you take sandwiches for lunch and if so what were they
> wrapped in?* I remember early baggies with PB sandwiches and a baggie
> with potato chips. Packed in a paper lunch bag.* Later, first grade
> (1966) I got a metal lunch box (Scotch plaid) with a small thermos that
> fit in the lunch box.* Still got potato chips and a PB sandwich in
> plastic baggies but also took a thermos full of cold milk to school.
> Occasionally Mom would put a Hostess Cupcake in the lunch box.
>
> Jill

Mostly went home for lunch but if we did take one. . .
Sandwich in waxed paper, milk in a thermos in the lunch box. This was
1950s. High school (early 60s) mostly bought lunch. It was cheap and
convenient. Our school had 3200 boys and four lunch periods One year I
had an early schedule and was out early so no lunch period.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 11:40:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> On 11/4/2020 11:18 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> LOL I would think it would be waxed paper, definitely not "baggies".
> >> Don't know about newspaper. String would definitely be valuable thing
> >> and reused. Ditto paper bags for taking the wrapped sandwiches to
> >> school for lunch. "Back in the day" in my world means Depression era and
> >> my parents.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > "Back in the day" for me is _my_ day, not my parents' day. 1960s and 1970s,
> > not 1930s and 1940s.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Okey doke! Did you take sandwiches for lunch and if so what were they
> wrapped in?

For me it was a variety of waxed paper, aluminum foil, Baggies, Saran
wrap, and I think even some pre-made waxed paper bags for a while.

> I remember early baggies with PB sandwiches and a baggie
> with potato chips. Packed in a paper lunch bag. Later, first grade
> (1966) I got a metal lunch box (Scotch plaid) with a small thermos that
> fit in the lunch box.

I had one of those, too. And the pleated skirt as well.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 11:43:40 AM UTC-5, Graham wrote:

> Throughout elementary and high school, I sat down with nearly all my fellow
> pupils in a ding hall to a 2 course lunch. Only children from the very
> poorest families brought sandwiches and they were not scorned by fellow
> pupils either.

Most kids went home for lunch in elementary school. I was a latchkey kid
so I stayed at school with a few other kids. We all brought lunch.

In junior high and high school we had a cafeteria, but we still could bring
lunch if we wanted.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Nov 2020 06:34:32 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>> Please describe, Chicken McNuggets' ?

>> You won't like the smell.

> Do you think it's true that they grind up live little roosters in
> McDonalds factories, feathers and beaks and all, and then shape the
> result into McNuggets?

Why? Surely you aren't considering sifting through to find all the
asses?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

wrote:

> >> Throughout elementary and high school, I sat down with nearly all my fellow
> >> pupils in a ding hall to a 2 course lunch. Only children from the very
> >> poorest families brought sandwiches and they were not scorned by fellow
> >> pupils either.
> >>

> > I would say half of the kids in elementary school brought their lunch and
> > about half of the teachers would, too. I also got 4 each day for a carton
> > of milk.
> >
> > Speaking of milk. I remember when the school's supplier of milk switched
> > to a flat top carton and a representative came to school to demonstrate to
> > each class how to open this new fangled thing.
> >
> > This was not the brand we got in elementary school but here's a picture of
> > that flat top carton that is similar to what we had.

https://i.postimg.cc/rwgFS03m/Flat-Top-Milk-Carton.jpg

> We received a free 1/3pint of milk every day. Of course, Maggie Thatcher
> stopped that!

We had the same thing, in little glass bottles with a cardboard lid,
plus a straw. Sometimes in winter the milk had frozen in the bottle, and
we used to put them on top of the radiators so they would thaw out by
playtime.
Lunch was a sit-down two course meal for everyone, pupils and
teachers. Probably the worst cooking I've ever refused to eat.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 6:35:51 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:

> > > You'd be amazed to find out a LOT of people dearly love to gnaw and
> > > suck on the bones, especially pork chops.

> > Count me among them. Pork chops and beef T-Bone/Porterhouse are
> > favorites. Something you never see anymore, at least in these parts, is
> > bone-in sirloin steaks. Those had great bones for gnawing.

> I like gnawing on a bone too but not inbetween 2 slices of
> bread with maybe some mayo. No wonder the "older black guy"
> gave Ed his lunch sandwiches.
> It's odd and definitely not "soul food."
>
> A much better version would be to pull off some meat to
> make a sandwich, then put the meaty bone in a separate
> baggie to gnaw on.

Slow cooker pig feet are the best to gnaw on by far.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/4/2020 12:40 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Nov 2020 06:34:32 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>> Please describe, Chicken McNuggets' ?

>> You won't like the smell.

> Do you think it's true that they grind up live little roosters in
> McDonalds factories, feathers and beaks and all, and then shape the
> result into McNuggets?

Don't be silly. The beaks are made into jewelry, like beaded bracelets.
Higher price that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I would say half of the kids in elementary school brought their lunch and
>>> about half of the teachers would, too. I also got 4 each day for a carton
>>> of milk.
>>>
>>> Speaking of milk. I remember when the school's supplier of milk switched
>>> to a flat top carton and a representative came to school to demonstrate to
>>> each class how to open this new fangled thing.
>>>
>>> This was not the brand we got in elementary school but here's a picture of
>>> that flat top carton that is similar to what we had.

https://i.postimg.cc/rwgFS03m/Flat-Top-Milk-Carton.jpg

>> We received a free 1/3pint of milk every day. Of course, Maggie Thatcher
>> stopped that!

> We had the same thing, in little glass bottles with a cardboard lid,
> plus a straw. Sometimes in winter the milk had frozen in the bottle, and
> we used to put them on top of the radiators so they would thaw out by
> playtime.
> Lunch was a sit-down two course meal for everyone, pupils and
> teachers. Probably the worst cooking I've ever refused to eat.
>
> Janet UK

No problem with the cooking at the 2 schools I attended. There were only 2
dishes that I really didn't like, both at the junior school. One was "Mince
in batter" i.e., minced beef in place of sausages in Toad in the hole. The
other was a salad that contained beetroot cubes and for some reason was
swimming in water.
Many years later when I was supply teaching at a secondary-modern school, I
stayed for lunch one summer day. They served up that salad!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 15:07:56 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 11/4/2020 12:40 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
>> Do you think it's true that they grind up live little roosters in
>> McDonalds factories, feathers and beaks and all, and then shape the
>> result into McNuggets?

> Don't be silly. The beaks are made into jewelry, like beaded bracelets.
> Higher price that way.

And the rats stake the skeleton heads of dead birds outside their
colonies as a warning to airborne invaders.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 2:01:15 PM UTC-6, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 6:35:51 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> > Bryan Simmons wrote:

> > > Count me among them. Pork chops and beef T-Bone/Porterhouse are
> > > favorites. Something you never see anymore, at least in these parts, is
> > > bone-in sirloin steaks. Those had great bones for gnawing.

> > I like gnawing on a bone too but not inbetween 2 slices of
> > bread with maybe some mayo. No wonder the "older black guy"
> > gave Ed his lunch sandwiches.
> > It's odd and definitely not "soul food."
> >
> > A much better version would be to pull off some meat to
> > make a sandwich, then put the meaty bone in a separate
> > baggie to gnaw on.

> Slow cooker pig feet are the best to gnaw on by far.

Ain't got no snouts?
Gonna get me some feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeZMTs3jSrk

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 11:01:06 AM UTC-6, Graham wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 08:54:09 -0800 (PST), wrote:

> >> Throughout elementary and high school, I sat down with nearly all my fellow
> >> pupils in a ding hall to a 2 course lunch. Only children from the very
> >> poorest families brought sandwiches and they were not scorned by fellow
> >> pupils either.
> >>

> > I would say half of the kids in elementary school brought their lunch and
> > about half of the teachers would, too. I also got 4¢ each day for a carton
> > of milk.
> >
> > Speaking of milk. I remember when the school's supplier of milk switched
> > to a flat top carton and a representative came to school to demonstrate to
> > each class how to open this new fangled thing.
> >
> > This was not the brand we got in elementary school but here's a picture of
> > that flat top carton that is similar to what we had.
> >
> > https://i.postimg.cc/rwgFS03m/Flat-Top-Milk-Carton.jpg

> We received a free 1/3pint of milk every day. Of course, Maggie Thatcher
> stopped that!

"Thatcher Thatcher, milk SNATCHER...!!!"

Maggie was just trying to save y'all from avian - borne diseases resulting from rotten milk, graham...!!!

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/fo...-milk-snatcher

McGill University: Office for Science and Society -- Separating Sense from Nonsense

Joe Schwarcz PhD | 20 Mar 2017
Health and Nutrition

"Thatcher, Thatcher, Milk Snatcher

"The British press dubbed the future Prime Minister Thatcher, Thatcher, milk snatcher for sponsoring legislation to eliminate the free milk program for students over the age of seven. The program had its beginnings in 1940 when children and pregnant women were issued milk to prevent malnutrition that might be brought about by wartime shortages. Thirty years later with Britain mired in an economic crisis, Thatcher claimed that the free milk was too expensive and proceeded to steer through legislation limiting it to children under the age of seven...

Students were not enamored of the program since the milk was usually not refrigerated and curdled when the weather was warm...

There was another issue. In the UK at the time milk was delivered in glass bottles sealed with foil caps. Because the lustry caps invited attacks by birds, the milk on occasion was linked to outbreaks of bacterial poisoning caused by Campylobacter jejuni. The problem was that some birds, such as magpies and jackdaws are known to frequent rubbish and cow manure piles where such bacteria are prevalent...

The milkman was supposed to cover the bottles but sometimes forgot and the pecked milk was given to children. Bottles were put out and constant watch revealed magpie pecking and analysis then showed Campylobacter jejuni in the bottles. To cap it off, spores of Campylobacter were isolated from the beaks of culled birds, So Margaret Thatcher, who at the time was accused of undermining the health of children, may actually have prevented some bouts of serious bacterial infection. Some Thatcher opponents now claim that the aging politicians bent appearance is a result of calcium deficiency and is just deserved for her crimes against children. Insensitive nonsense..."

</>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 3, 2020 at 10:54:41 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Monday, November 2, 2020 at 2:56:44 AM UTC-10, John Kuthe wrote:

> > > Burnt gets one al the Carbon they need in their diet! ;-)
> > >

> > > John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist, Suburban Renewalist and Vegetarian

> > It's different than when your mom burnt food. For one thing, it's
> > entirely on purpose, not accidental. My burnt food doesn't taste
> > like burnt food, beats me why it doesn't. When your mom burnt food,
> > it tasted awful. My food tastes awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...1DrOgjBR5j29Bd

> > ====
> >
> > That looks lovely. Please list the things on it??

> That burnt stuff is lemon grass chicken, the stuff on the right is
> Korean kim chee. It's a spicy plate so probably not something you'd
> care for.
>
> OTOH, I ate some won ton min for breakfast at a restaurant. This is a
> saimin with won tons in it. My daughter had some Korean fried
> chicken. I had a piece. I think you would have enjoyed it.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...jflg_Q2eqqZrZN

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/conte...aking-comeback

The first picture seems to have baby Gai Lan. Love the stuff! My
lunch was largely steamed full size Gai Lan with butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> LOL I would think it would be waxed paper, definitely not "baggies".
> Don't know about newspaper. String would definitely be valuable thing
> and reused. Ditto paper bags for taking the wrapped sandwiches to
> school for lunch. "Back in the day" in my world means Depression era and
> my parents.

it wasn't waxed paper, it really was newspaper...
Granny knew how to get by on not much, and they did
have to go through the Great Depression.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Nov 2020 06:34:32 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Ophelia wrote:
> >> Please describe, Chicken McNuggets' ?

> >You won't like the smell.

> Do you think it's true that they grind up live little roosters in
> McDonalds factories, feathers and beaks and all, and then shape the
> result into McNuggets?

LOL. I'll pretend you didn't even ask that. What nonsense.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/rwgFS03m/Flat-Top-Milk-Carton.jpg

> >> We received a free 1/3pint of milk every day. Of course, Maggie Thatcher
> >> stopped that!

> > We had the same thing, in little glass bottles with a cardboard lid,
> > plus a straw. Sometimes in winter the milk had frozen in the bottle, and
> > we used to put them on top of the radiators so they would thaw out by
> > playtime.
> > Lunch was a sit-down two course meal for everyone, pupils and
> > teachers. Probably the worst cooking I've ever refused to eat.
> >
> > Janet UK

> No problem with the cooking at the 2 schools I attended. There were only 2
> dishes that I really didn't like, both at the junior school. One was "Mince
> in batter" i.e., minced beef in place of sausages in Toad in the hole.

Never had that, but mince and batter are two of my favourite food
groups :-) so I might give it a trial. We liike South African bobotie,
so that's a place to start.

School lunhes at primary school included spam fritters, a non-
identifiable gristle stew ( I suspect canned whale left over from war
rationing), rehydrated mashed potatoes, canned peas. Pickled red cabbage
which nobody ever ate; we just poured on little mountains of salt to
watch it turn bright blue. Puddings were dreaded slime-twins tapioca and
sago and lumpy semolina. The milk content tasted chalky, must have been
reconstituted (though from what I hate to think). The dining room was
huge, dark and absolutely stank of a million ancient meals. Because I
refused to eat my dinner I had to sit beside a teacher whose miserable
job was to force me to eat at least one main course and one pudding
every week, Of course I delayedfate until last day of the week; Friday
was always stinking fish and canned peas and mash) and shovelled it
under the table while she wasn't looking. In adult hindsight I'm pretty
sure she was just turning a blind eye, or trying not to retch aat her
own plateful.

Chalk and cheesse from local primary schools lunch menu nowadays.

https://www.north-
ayrshire.gov.uk/Documents/EducationalServices/SchoolMeals/lunch-menu-
mainland.pdf

The
> other was a salad that contained beetroot cubes and for some reason was
> swimming in water.

Once I got to High School, different city, school lunches were really
good.We had a large bright dining hall and sat 8 around each square ,
the food was all freshly cooked on the premises and each person could
help themselves from serving dishes. Much better food and more sociable.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/rwgFS03m/Flat-Top-Milk-Carton.jpg

>>> We had the same thing, in little glass bottles with a cardboard lid,
>>> plus a straw. Sometimes in winter the milk had frozen in the bottle, and
>>> we used to put them on top of the radiators so they would thaw out by
>>> playtime.
>>> Lunch was a sit-down two course meal for everyone, pupils and
>>> teachers. Probably the worst cooking I've ever refused to eat.
>>>
>>> Janet UK

>> No problem with the cooking at the 2 schools I attended. There were only 2
>> dishes that I really didn't like, both at the junior school. One was "Mince
>> in batter" i.e., minced beef in place of sausages in Toad in the hole.

> Never had that, but mince and batter are two of my favourite food
> groups :-) so I might give it a trial. We liike South African bobotie,
> so that's a place to start.
>
> School lunhes at primary school included spam fritters, a non-
> identifiable gristle stew ( I suspect canned whale left over from war
> rationing), rehydrated mashed potatoes, canned peas. Pickled red cabbage
> which nobody ever ate; we just poured on little mountains of salt to
> watch it turn bright blue. Puddings were dreaded slime-twins tapioca and
> sago and lumpy semolina. The milk content tasted chalky, must have been
> reconstituted (though from what I hate to think). The dining room was
> huge, dark and absolutely stank of a million ancient meals. Because I
> refused to eat my dinner I had to sit beside a teacher whose miserable
> job was to force me to eat at least one main course and one pudding
> every week, Of course I delayedfate until last day of the week; Friday
> was always stinking fish and canned peas and mash) and shovelled it
> under the table while she wasn't looking. In adult hindsight I'm pretty
> sure she was just turning a blind eye, or trying not to retch aat her
> own plateful.

Nothing like my experience. The village school was both elementary and
secondary. After the 11+ the brighter went to a grammar school some 8 miles
away.
The local butcher supplied the meat to the school and he was very fussy
about what he sold. Of course, the head cook was a local woman from the
village.

> Chalk and cheesse from local primary schools lunch menu nowadays.
>
> https://www.north-
> ayrshire.gov.uk/Documents/EducationalServices/SchoolMeals/lunch-menu-
> mainland.pdf
>

> The
>> other was a salad that contained beetroot cubes and for some reason was
>> swimming in water.

> Once I got to High School, different city, school lunches were really
> good.We had a large bright dining hall and sat 8 around each square ,
> the food was all freshly cooked on the premises and each person could
> help themselves from serving dishes. Much better food and more sociable.
>
> Janet UK

We sat at long tables of 16 with a teacher at the head. The food was
excellent.
Are you aware of this site:
http://www.schoolrecipes.co.uk/index...r-recipes.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/rwgFS03m/Flat-Top-Milk-Carton.jpg

> >> We received a free 1/3pint of milk every day. Of course, Maggie Thatcher
> >> stopped that!

> > We had the same thing, in little glass bottles with a cardboard lid,
> > plus a straw. Sometimes in winter the milk had frozen in the bottle, and
> > we used to put them on top of the radiators so they would thaw out by
> > playtime.
> > Lunch was a sit-down two course meal for everyone, pupils and
> > teachers. Probably the worst cooking I've ever refused to eat.
> >
> > Janet UK

> No problem with the cooking at the 2 schools I attended. There were only 2
> dishes that I really didn't like, both at the junior school. One was "Mince
> in batter" i.e., minced beef in place of sausages in Toad in the hole. The
> other was a salad that contained beetroot cubes and for some reason was
> swimming in water.
> Many years later when I was supply teaching at a secondary-modern school, I
> stayed for lunch one summer day. They served up that salad!!!!

In America, the schools serve lunches to get the kids ready for the real world dining experience - just in case they're incarcerated for an extensive stay in prison. That's very kind and forward thinking of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXK591Rp4BU

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> In America, the schools serve lunches to get the kids ready for the real world dining experience - just in case they're incarcerated for an extensive stay in prison. That's very kind and forward thinking of them.

That's funny but I always liked the school lunches. Much better
that a PBJ sandwich in a paper bag.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 20:43:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 01 Nov 2020 23:09:44 -0800, Leo >
>wrote:
>
>>On 2020 Nov 1, , songbird wrote
>>(in article >):
>>
>>> learning to cook, even simple things is an
>>> important skill, adding to that some gardening where
>>> you grow some of your own food can at least get a
>>> person more in touch with the natural world and a
>>> start to appreciating the planet which gives them
>>> life instead of living in a sterile box and eating
>>> little cubes of processed foods.
>>>
>>> but as they say, to each their own. *shrug*

>>Unless youââ¬â¢re a vegetarian, donââ¬â¢t forget to learn to kill,
>>dress and
>>cook
>>fish and game. Thatââ¬â¢s also the natural world. I had Chicken
>>McNuggets
>>last
>>night.

>Hardly natural.
>
>===
>
> Please describe, Chicken McNuggets' ?

They're pieces of tortured factory chicken with urine stains hidden
with bleach (in the US). The pieces are coated and deepfried.
Sometimes they make strange sounds when you bite into them. Other
times you bite into them and your teeth bounce back.

=====

Oh!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 6:34:48 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > In America, the schools serve lunches to get the kids ready for the real world dining experience - just in case they're incarcerated for an extensive stay in prison. That's very kind and forward thinking of them.

> That's funny but I always liked the school lunches. Much better
> that a PBJ sandwich in a paper bag.

Who knew that prison food could be better than peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in a paper bag?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Nov 2020 08:18:18 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:

>> >You won't like the smell.

>> Do you think it's true that they grind up live little roosters in
>> McDonalds factories, feathers and beaks and all, and then shape the
>> result into McNuggets?

>LOL. I'll pretend you didn't even ask that. What nonsense.

I actually think the roosters are gassed upon birth. I saw it on a
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall program. In another episode he visited a
chicken factory. He came out crying.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 13:45:15 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 3, 2020 at 3:03:17 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 20:43:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Please describe, Chicken McNuggets' ?
>> >

>> They're pieces of tortured factory chicken with urine stains hidden
>> with bleach (in the US). The pieces are coated and deepfried.
>> Sometimes they make strange sounds when you bite into them. Other
>> times you bite into them and your teeth bounce back.
>>

>It's going to an absolutely thrilling day whenever Google can be accessed
>in Scotland. I just hope OhFeelMe is still around to be able to access it
>answer her endless questions of what something is or how whatever is
>cooked.
>
>Whenever Scotland comes out of the Dark Ages I think we should all join
>in a hearty shout of HALLELUJAH!!!

I'm more hoping that the US is coming out of the dark ages today and
is joining the civilised world again.

======

Very good point LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:
> Please describe, Chicken McNuggets' ?

You won't like the smell.

===

Oh dear... What on earth does it smell of ??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 13:45:15 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 3, 2020 at 3:03:17 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 20:43:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Please describe, Chicken McNuggets' ?
>> >

>> They're pieces of tortured factory chicken with urine stains hidden
>> with bleach (in the US). The pieces are coated and deepfried.
>> Sometimes they make strange sounds when you bite into them. Other
>> times you bite into them and your teeth bounce back.
>>

>It's going to an absolutely thrilling day whenever Google can be accessed
>in Scotland. I just hope OhFeelMe is still around to be able to access it
>answer her endless questions of what something is or how whatever is
>cooked.
>
>Whenever Scotland comes out of the Dark Ages I think we should all join
>in a hearty shout of HALLELUJAH!!!

I'm more hoping that the US is coming out of the dark ages today and
is joining the civilised world again.

====

Good heavens!! Is he still trying to insult me??? Does he never give
up?? Boy oh boy he is so boring??

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 18:02:26 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 13:45:15 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, November 3, 2020 at 3:03:17 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

>>> They're pieces of tortured factory chicken with urine stains hidden
>>> with bleach (in the US). The pieces are coated and deepfried.
>>> Sometimes they make strange sounds when you bite into them. Other
>>> times you bite into them and your teeth bounce back.
>>>

>>It's going to an absolutely thrilling day whenever Google can be accessed
>>in Scotland. I just hope OhFeelMe is still around to be able to access it
>>answer her endless questions of what something is or how whatever is
>>cooked.
>>
>>Whenever Scotland comes out of the Dark Ages I think we should all join
>>in a hearty shout of HALLELUJAH!!!

>I'm more hoping that the US is coming out of the dark ages today and
>is joining the civilised world again.
>
>====
>
> Good heavens!! Is he still trying to insult me??? Does he never give
>up?? Boy oh boy he is so boring??
>
> LOL

It was Joan. She thinks you represent entire Scotland.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" wrote in message ...

Gary wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:
>> On Tuesday, November 3, 2020 at 11:28:21 AM UTC-6,
>> wrote:

>> > You'd be amazed to find out a LOT of people dearly love to gnaw and
>> > suck on the bones, especially pork chops.

>> Count me among them. Pork chops and beef T-Bone/Porterhouse are
>> favorites. Something you never see anymore, at least in these parts, is
>> bone-in sirloin steaks. Those had great bones for gnawing.

> I like gnawing on a bone too but not inbetween 2 slices of
> bread with maybe some mayo. No wonder the "older black guy"
> gave Ed his lunch sandwiches.
> It's odd and definitely not "soul food."
>
> A much better version would be to pull off some meat to
> make a sandwich, then put the meaty bone in a separate
> baggie to gnaw on.

you must remember that "back in the day" they didn't
have baggies. Grandma sent the kids to school with
their sandwiches wrapped in newspaper and tied with
string and woe to the kid that did not bring the string
back home...

songbird (no, i'm not kidding, i heard this from
several of the uncles...

====

I remember it too!!! No, it is no joke!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> In America, the schools serve lunches to get the kids ready for the real world dining experience - just in case they're incarcerated for an extensive stay in prison. That's very kind and forward thinking of them.

> That's funny but I always liked the school lunches. Much better
> that a PBJ sandwich in a paper bag.

Sounds like he must have done some prison time. Probably for fraud.