Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Time for me to go to work

On 10/18/2020 11:53 AM, Leo wrote:
> On 2020 Oct 17, , dsi1 wrote
> (in >):
>
>> On Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 12:28:00 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 03:25:13 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

>>> I don't know who that is.

>> Consider yourself lucky. I wish I was you.

> Oh, BS! Gene Roddenberry inspired generations of geeks into becoming the
> scientists and engineers who supply us with the geegaws we walk around
> looking at, instead of where were going, all day along with many other
> scientific/mechanical advances. We still havent come up with the
> Transporter yet, but electrons have. If one of you invents a time machine,
> dont kill Roddenberry!

I find it interesting that a television show from the 1960's (and Gene
Roddenberry) sort of predicted the future of technology. Those
communicator devices sure do look an awful lot like flip-phones. The
device the yeoman handed to Captain Kirk so he could scrawl his
signature look a heck of a lot like modern day tablets.

As for the transporter... oh dear, no thanks. Remember the 1958 sci-fi
flick 'The Fly'? LOL

I do love the music from the later Star Trek films.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I find it interesting that a television show from the 1960's (and Gene
> Roddenberry) sort of predicted the future of technology. Those
> communicator devices sure do look an awful lot like flip-phones.

Remember the Jetsons from that decade. Cool to be able to talk
on the phone while looking at the person. What a concept that
we have now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2020 12:04 PM, Gary wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:
>>
>> Smoking weed was normal. In 1976, on an average morning
>> at our high school, literally hundreds of students would gather
>> to smoke pot before 1st hour,

What a sad proclamation. Yeah, I smoked pot when I was in high school
but my friends and I did it AFTER school. I never missed a class and I
sure as hell didn't go to class stoned.

> Yet most of them didn't have to attend summer school.

I attended summer school because there was not much else to do. I took
classes in Radio Broadcasting all through high school. In my senior
year I helped build a recording studio. And no, I wasn't stoned while
doing it.

>> and I can assure you that you,
>> Gary, have a lot more in common with Beavis and Butthead
>> (which I've never actually watched) than do I.

> And how would you know, since you never watched?

I've never watched it either, but I vaguely get your references, Gary.
To me, it's like watching Sean Penn in whatever that other stoner movie
was. Not my cup of tea.

I have no idea why Bryan is bragging about smoking pot before going to
class.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2020 12:18 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I find it interesting that a television show from the 1960's (and Gene
>> Roddenberry) sort of predicted the future of technology. Those
>> communicator devices sure do look an awful lot like flip-phones.

> Remember the Jetsons from that decade. Cool to be able to talk
> on the phone while looking at the person. What a concept that
> we have now.

I only remember the Jetsons because it was in reruns. I didn't pay much
attention to television in those days. I remember the theme song:
"Meet George Jetson! Jane, his wife!" There was a dog and I think a cat
that he put out at night. That's about it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-10-18 12:22 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
how would you know, since you never watched?

> I've never watched it either, but I vaguely get your references, Gary.
> To me, it's like watching Sean Penn in whatever that other stoner movie
> was.Â* Not my cup of tea.
>
> I have no idea why Bryan is bragging about smoking pot before going to
> class.

It is a form of virtue signalling. Back in his school days he thought it
was cool to go to class stoned, so now he is advertising that he was
cool back then... in his own mind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 11:04:46 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:
> >
> > Smoking weed was normal. In 1976, on an average morning
> > at our high school, literally hundreds of students would gather
> > to smoke pot before 1st hour,

> Yet most of them didn't have to attend summer school.
> > and I can assure you that you,
> > Gary, have a lot more in common with Beavis and Butthead
> > (which I've never actually watched) than do I.

> And how would you know, since you never watched?

I run the entertainment department at a retail store. I have seen
<1% of the DVDs, and read <1% of the books I sell.

> You're right though. Butthead was a friendly person.
> You are more like Satan. Not the same at all.
> John would make a good Beavis though.

And you're a constipated hag whose personality would probably
be improved by being rectally raped by a minor demon. Satan
can afford far higher quality.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

wrote:

> On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 11:04:46 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> > Bryan Simmons wrote:
> > >
> > > Smoking weed was normal. In 1976, on an average morning
> > > at our high school, literally hundreds of students would gather
> > > to smoke pot before 1st hour,

> > Yet most of them didn't have to attend summer school.
> > > and I can assure you that you,
> > > Gary, have a lot more in common with Beavis and Butthead
> > > (which I've never actually watched) than do I.

> > And how would you know, since you never watched?

> I run the entertainment department at a retail store. I have seen
> <1% of the DVDs, and read <1% of the books I sell.
> >
> > You're right though. Butthead was a friendly person.
> > You are more like Satan. Not the same at all.
> > John would make a good Beavis though.

> And you're a constipated hag whose personality would probably
> be improved by being rectally raped by a minor demon. Satan
> can afford far higher quality.

Bryan, have you stopped beating your wife yet...???

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 11:41:13 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-10-18 12:22 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> how would you know, since you never watched?
> >>

> > I've never watched it either, but I vaguely get your references, Gary.
> > To me, it's like watching Sean Penn in whatever that other stoner movie
> > was. Not my cup of tea.
> >
> > I have no idea why Bryan is bragging about smoking pot before going to
> > class.

> It is a form of virtue signalling. Back in his school days he thought it
> was cool to go to class stoned, so now he is advertising that he was
> cool back then... in his own mind.

It wasn't cool. I had friends who got high, and others who didn't. No one in
my little subculture though of drugs as cool. You'd better give me crap quick.
Within a few years, you'll probably be dead, and you know it. All the
changing your diet won't buy you that much extra time.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 11:49:28 AM UTC-5, GM wrote:
> wrote:

> > > Yet most of them didn't have to attend summer school.
> > > And how would you know, since you never watched?

> > I run the entertainment department at a retail store. I have seen
> > <1% of the DVDs, and read <1% of the books I sell.
> > >
> > > You're right though. Butthead was a friendly person.
> > > You are more like Satan. Not the same at all.
> > > John would make a good Beavis though.

> > And you're a constipated hag whose personality would probably
> > be improved by being rectally raped by a minor demon. Satan
> > can afford far higher quality.

> Bryan, have you stopped beating your wife yet...???

Have you had an original thought yet?

> --
> Best
> Greg

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2020 12:42 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-10-18 12:22 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> Â*how would you know, since you never watched?
>>>

>> I've never watched it either, but I vaguely get your references, Gary.
>> To me, it's like watching Sean Penn in whatever that other stoner
>> movie was.Â* Not my cup of tea.
>>
>> I have no idea why Bryan is bragging about smoking pot before going to
>> class.

> It is a form of virtue signalling. Back in his school days he thought it
> was cool to go to class stoned, so now he is advertising that he was
> cool back then... in his own mind.

Call it what you want, apparently lots of us were "cool" back in the
day. We just didn't get stoned before going to class. I, for one, paid
attention in class and got very good grades. I was serious about
school; fun time was reserved for after school let out.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 12:08:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On 10/18/2020 12:42 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2020-10-18 12:22 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> > how would you know, since you never watched?
> >>>
> >> I've never watched it either, but I vaguely get your references, Gary.
> >> To me, it's like watching Sean Penn in whatever that other stoner
> >> movie was. Not my cup of tea.
> >>
> >> I have no idea why Bryan is bragging about smoking pot before going to
> >> class.

> > It is a form of virtue signalling. Back in his school days he thought it
> > was cool to go to class stoned, so now he is advertising that he was
> > cool back then... in his own mind.
> >

> Call it what you want, apparently lots of us were "cool" back in the
> day. We just didn't get stoned before going to class. I, for one, paid
> attention in class and got very good grades. I was serious about
> school; fun time was reserved for after school let out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXIw1BvfEQ8

Life greatly improved after I tested out of high school.

> Jill

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 07:15:53 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:

>> >My point is - Don't ever say, "It couldn't get worse"
>> >No matter the situation, it could always be much worse.

>> Maybe, but so far the Holocaust is the single biggest atrocity in the
>> history of the western world.

>Question right back at you - would you kill baby Adolf?

I hope so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 7:29:40 AM UTC-10, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 12:08:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> > On 10/18/2020 12:42 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > > On 2020-10-18 12:22 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> > > how would you know, since you never watched?

> > > It is a form of virtue signalling. Back in his school days he thought it
> > > was cool to go to class stoned, so now he is advertising that he was
> > > cool back then... in his own mind.
> > >

> > Call it what you want, apparently lots of us were "cool" back in the
> > day. We just didn't get stoned before going to class. I, for one, paid
> > attention in class and got very good grades. I was serious about
> > school; fun time was reserved for after school let out.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXIw1BvfEQ8
>
> Life greatly improved after I tested out of high school.
> >
> > Jill

> --Bryan

Things generally improve after the underachiever leaves high school. I don't use "underachiever" in a pejorative way. It simply means that the student is not performing up to the levels they're capable of. Mostly, it means that the student (usually male) is bored out of their skulls. These students need all the diversions they can get to survive!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default aid w

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 14:07:59 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 07:15:53 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>>> Maybe, but so far the Holocaust is the single biggest atrocity in the
>>> history of the western world.

>> Question right back at you - would you kill baby Adolf?

>A complete genocide (Beothuk) is arguably worse if you ignore body counts.
>
>About 3 times as much people died in the killing fields of Cambodia.
>
>Stalin starved more people in east Europe than Hitler ever dreamed of.
>
>In Africa during the 1990s, Tutsi & Hutu didn't even bother to round
>people up; they just slaughtered women & children where they were found
>by the thousands.

I said western world.

>I say that the 'worst atrocity in history' are the ongoing ones. Almost
>every native group in the world & especially in the Americas has been
>robbed, displaced, threatened & marginalized in an ongoing systematic
>fashion.

>The worst ongoing atrocities are against the Uyghurs in China.

Yes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 13:08:33 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 10/18/2020 12:42 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2020-10-18 12:22 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> Â*how would you know, since you never watched?
>>>>
>>> I've never watched it either, but I vaguely get your references, Gary.
>>> To me, it's like watching Sean Penn in whatever that other stoner
>>> movie was.Â* Not my cup of tea.
>>>
>>> I have no idea why Bryan is bragging about smoking pot before going to
>>> class.

>> It is a form of virtue signalling. Back in his school days he thought it
>> was cool to go to class stoned, so now he is advertising that he was
>> cool back then... in his own mind.
>>

>Call it what you want, apparently lots of us were "cool" back in the
>day. We just didn't get stoned before going to class. I, for one, paid
>attention in class and got very good grades. I was serious about
>school; fun time was reserved for after school let out.

One step away from the nunnery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 3:02:20 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 13:08:33 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
> >On 10/18/2020 12:42 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> >> On 2020-10-18 12:22 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> >> how would you know, since you never watched?

> >> It is a form of virtue signalling. Back in his school days he thought it
> >> was cool to go to class stoned, so now he is advertising that he was
> >> cool back then... in his own mind.
> >>

> >Call it what you want, apparently lots of us were "cool" back in the
> >day. We just didn't get stoned before going to class. I, for one, paid
> >attention in class and got very good grades. I was serious about
> >school; fun time was reserved for after school let out.

> One step away from the nunnery.

What is it with you and nuns? Seek psychological help.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 1:59:18 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 7:29:40 AM UTC-10, Bryan Simmons wrote:

> > > Call it what you want, apparently lots of us were "cool" back in the
> > > day. We just didn't get stoned before going to class. I, for one, paid
> > > attention in class and got very good grades. I was serious about
> > > school; fun time was reserved for after school let out.

> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXIw1BvfEQ8
> >
> > Life greatly improved after I tested out of high school.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > --Bryan

> Things generally improve after the underachiever leaves high school. I don't use "underachiever" in a pejorative way. It simply means that the student is not performing up to the levels they're capable of. Mostly, it means that the student (usually male) is bored out of their skulls. These students need all the diversions they can get to survive!

In high school, I got As and Fs. Six years after I tested out, I started
community college where I graduated with perfect grades.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19:59 18 Oct 2020, dsi1 said:

> On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 7:29:40 AM UTC-10, Bryan Simmons wrote:
>> On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 12:08:42 PM UTC-5,
>> wro

> te:

> y.

> it

>> > Call it what you want, apparently lots of us were "cool" back in the
>> > day. We just didn't get stoned before going to class. I, for one,
>> > paid

>> > attention in class and got very good grades. I was serious about
>> > school; fun time was reserved for after school let out.

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXIw1BvfEQ8
>>
>> Life greatly improved after I tested out of high school.
>> >
>> > Jill

>> --Bryan

> Things generally improve after the underachiever leaves high school. I
> don't use "underachiever" in a pejorative way. It simply means that the
> student is not performing up to the levels they're capable of. Mostly,
> it means that the student (usually male) is bored out of their skulls.

Or takes drugs.

> These students need all the diversions they can get to survive!

More drugs maybe?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 9:46:21 AM UTC-10, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 1:59:18 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXIw1BvfEQ8
> > >
> > > Life greatly improved after I tested out of high school.

> > > --Bryan

> > Things generally improve after the underachiever leaves high school. I don't use "underachiever" in a pejorative way. It simply means that the student is not performing up to the levels they're capable of. Mostly, it means that the student (usually male) is bored out of their skulls. These students need all the diversions they can get to survive!

> In high school, I got As and Fs. Six years after I tested out, I started
> community college where I graduated with perfect grades.
>
> --Bryan

Your experience is not an uncommon one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 9:47:30 AM UTC-10, Pamela wrote:
> On 19:59 18 Oct 2020, dsi1 said:
>
> > On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 7:29:40 AM UTC-10, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> >> On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 12:08:42 PM UTC-5,
> >> wro

> > te:

> > y.

> > it

> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXIw1BvfEQ8
> >>
> >> Life greatly improved after I tested out of high school.

> >> --Bryan

> > Things generally improve after the underachiever leaves high school. I
> > don't use "underachiever" in a pejorative way. It simply means that the
> > student is not performing up to the levels they're capable of. Mostly,
> > it means that the student (usually male) is bored out of their skulls.

> Or takes drugs.
>
> > These students need all the diversions they can get to survive!

> More drugs maybe?

I don't know. A diversion is a diversion is a diversion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 20:47:23 +0100, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 19:59 18 Oct 2020, dsi1 said:
>
>> On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 7:29:40 AM UTC-10, Bryan Simmons wrote:
>>> On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 12:08:42 PM UTC-5,
>>> wro

>> te:

>> y.

>> it

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXIw1BvfEQ8
>>>
>>> Life greatly improved after I tested out of high school.

>>> --Bryan

>> Things generally improve after the underachiever leaves high school. I
>> don't use "underachiever" in a pejorative way. It simply means that the
>> student is not performing up to the levels they're capable of. Mostly,
>> it means that the student (usually male) is bored out of their skulls.

>Or takes drugs.
>
>> These students need all the diversions they can get to survive!

>More drugs maybe?

Did you lose a family member or a friend to drugs, maybe? You're
always going on about them and how bad they are. Like a broken record.
Or were you a bad addict yourself and now you're preaching?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020 Oct 18, , dsi1 wrote
(in >):
Mostly, it means that the

> student (usually male) is bored out of their skulls. These students need all
> the diversions they can get to survive!

The student is bored. They dont understand the material presented in
class. Pot makes them smart. LSD makes them geniuses. Meth makes them active.
People dont give them money. They get violent. They get shot by the cops.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-10-18 3:46 p.m., Bryan Simmons wrote:

>> Things generally improve after the underachiever leaves high school. I don't use "underachiever" in a pejorative way. It simply means that the student is not performing up to the levels they're capable of. Mostly, it means that the student (usually male) is bored out of their skulls. These students need all the diversions they can get to survive!

> In high school, I got As and Fs. Six years after I tested out, I started
> community college where I graduated with perfect grades.

I was an underachiever in elementary and high school. I was always the
biggest kid in my class but was also the youngest. I finally buckled
down in my last year of high school, got admitted into university and
excelled there. My son was a late bloomer too. He struggled through
elementary and high school. When he finished high school he went to
Africa to work for a year. He came back and got into university as a
mature student and got his degree. He had been working part time in a
bar and slid over from waiting and bar tending to managing a brew pub.
Then he got a great job with government.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 14:10:07 -0700, Leo >
wrote:

>On 2020 Oct 18, , dsi1 wrote
>(in >):
>Mostly, it means that the
>
>> student (usually male) is bored out of their skulls. These students need all
>> the diversions they can get to survive!

>The student is bored. They dont understand the material presented in
>class. Pot makes them smart. LSD makes them geniuses. Meth makes them active.
>People dont give them money. They get violent. They get shot by the cops.

Such a deplorable perspective.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 3:02:20 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 13:08:33 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Call it what you want, apparently lots of us were "cool" back in the
>>> day. We just didn't get stoned before going to class. I, for one, paid
>>> attention in class and got very good grades. I was serious about
>>> school; fun time was reserved for after school let out.

>> One step away from the nunnery.

> What is it with you and nuns? Seek psychological help.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Don't forget librarians!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 4:43:13 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 3:02:20 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> >> One step away from the nunnery.

> > What is it with you and nuns? Seek psychological help.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Don't forget librarians!

I'm married to one. A librarian, not a nun.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 12:44:17 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 3:02:20 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 13:08:33 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> >Call it what you want, apparently lots of us were "cool" back in the
>> >day. We just didn't get stoned before going to class. I, for one, paid
>> >attention in class and got very good grades. I was serious about
>> >school; fun time was reserved for after school let out.

>> One step away from the nunnery.

>What is it with you and nuns? Seek psychological help.

Me: Mr Shrink, I compare certain old spinsters to nuns.
Mr Shrink: Ok, but why are you here?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 14:07:59 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 07:15:53 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>>> Maybe, but so far the Holocaust is the single biggest atrocity in the
>>> history of the western world.

>> Question right back at you - would you kill baby Adolf?

>A complete genocide (Beothuk) is arguably worse if you ignore body counts.
>
>About 3 times as much people died in the killing fields of Cambodia.
>
>Stalin starved more people in east Europe than Hitler ever dreamed of.
>
>In Africa during the 1990s, Tutsi & Hutu didn't even bother to round
>people up; they just slaughtered women & children where they were found
>by the thousands.

I said western world.

>I say that the 'worst atrocity in history' are the ongoing ones. Almost
>every native group in the world & especially in the Americas has been
>robbed, displaced, threatened & marginalized in an ongoing systematic
>fashion.

>The worst ongoing atrocities are against the Uyghurs in China.

Yes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020 Oct 18, , Bruce wrote
(in >):

> Such a deplorable perspective.

I know! Right? And so true for so many said the deplorable to the fungible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 16:14:05 -0700, Leo >
wrote:

>On 2020 Oct 18, , Bruce wrote
>(in >):
>
>> Such a deplorable perspective.

>I know! Right? And so true for so many said the deplorable to the fungible.

It's a scary world out there, Leo. They're all trying to get ya! Hold
on to your gun!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 11:09:43 AM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> On 2020 Oct 18, , dsi1 wrote
> (in >):
> Mostly, it means that the
>
> > student (usually male) is bored out of their skulls. These students need all
> > the diversions they can get to survive!

> The student is bored. They dont understand the material presented in
> class. Pot makes them smart. LSD makes them geniuses. Meth makes them active.
> People dont give them money. They get violent. They get shot by the cops.

My sons were classic underachievers. The reality is that if the schools can't utilize and nurture the kid's love and need for/of learning, they've failed. When my son was 8, he tested at a high school level in reading and math. High school, however, was a disaster. I had to pull my second son out of elementary school because the teachers were clueless about how to work with my son. I wasn't about to make the same mistakes that I made with my older son. My view of the educational system at the pre-college level is quite dark.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 5:53:26 AM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> On 2020 Oct 17, , dsi1 wrote
> (in >):
>
> > On Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 12:28:00 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> > > On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 03:25:13 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

> > > I don't know who that is.

> > Consider yourself lucky. I wish I was you.

> Oh, BS! Gene Roddenberry inspired generations of geeks into becoming the
> scientists and engineers who supply us with the geegaws we walk around
> looking at, instead of where were going, all day along with many other
> scientific/mechanical advances. We still havent come up with the
> Transporter yet, but electrons have. If one of you invents a time machine,
> dont kill Roddenberry!
> Chester Gould inspired the watch I wear, but my watch is better than he
> imagined.

To some folks Gene Roddenberry was a true visionary, to others, Star Trek was cheesy 60's TV fare. I suppose both views are valid. I put the blame squarely on Mr. Shatner's hammy style. One of my classmates was a visual designer on some Star Trek movies. That guy was a real geek.

Ironically, I've posted on rfc about computers of the future being handheld devices that used voice input ala Star Trek. That did not go over well with a group that clings so tightly to their Windows desktops. Most things that I post about the future does not go over well with this group. That's fine with me since time is always on my side.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 19:54:03 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 11:09:43 AM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
>> On 2020 Oct 18, , dsi1 wrote
>> (in >):
>> Mostly, it means that the
>>
>> > student (usually male) is bored out of their skulls. These students need all
>> > the diversions they can get to survive!

>> The student is bored. They dont understand the material presented in
>> class. Pot makes them smart. LSD makes them geniuses. Meth makes them active.
>> People dont give them money. They get violent. They get shot by the cops.

>My sons were classic underachievers. The reality is that if the schools can't utilize and nurture the kid's love and need for/of learning, they've failed. When my son was 8, he tested at a high school level in reading and math. High school, however, was a disaster. I had to pull my second son out of elementary school because the

teachers were clueless about how to work with my son. I wasn't about to make the same mistakes that I made with my older son. My view of the educational system at the pre-college level is quite dark.

My teachers didn't work with me. I worked with them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 19:54:03 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 11:09:43 AM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
>>> On 2020 Oct 18, , dsi1 wrote
>>> (in >):
>>> Mostly, it means that the

>>> The student is bored. They don€„¢t understand the material presented in
>>> class. Pot makes them smart. LSD makes them geniuses. Meth makes them active.
>>> People don€„¢t give them money. They get violent. They get shot by the cops.

>> My sons were classic underachievers. The reality is that if the schools can't utilize and nurture the kid's love and need for/of learning, they've failed. When my son was 8, he tested at a high school level in reading and math. High school, however, was a disaster. I had to pull my second son out of elementary school because the

> teachers were clueless about how to work with my son. I wasn't about to make the same mistakes that I made with my older son. My view of the educational system at the pre-college level is quite dark.

Your view of everything is quite dark.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 5:34:08 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 19:54:03 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 11:09:43 AM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> >> On 2020 Oct 18, , dsi1 wrote
> >> (in >):
> >> Mostly, it means that the

> >> The student is bored. They dont understand the material presented in
> >> class. Pot makes them smart. LSD makes them geniuses. Meth makes them active.
> >> People dont give them money. They get violent. They get shot by the cops.

> >My sons were classic underachievers. The reality is that if the schools can't utilize and nurture the kid's love and need for/of learning, they've failed. When my son was 8, he tested at a high school level in reading and math. High school, however, was a disaster. I had to pull my second son out of elementary school because the

> teachers were clueless about how to work with my son. I wasn't about to make the same mistakes that I made with my older son. My view of the educational system at the pre-college level is quite dark.
>
> My teachers didn't work with me. I worked with them.

Sounds like you're a female. Females are better dispositioned to sitting for long periods of time listening to someone drone on and on and on and on. The male's neurological system doesn't work that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 21:15:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 5:34:08 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 19:54:03 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >My sons were classic underachievers. The reality is that if the schools can't utilize and nurture the kid's love and need for/of learning, they've failed. When my son was 8, he tested at a high school level in reading and math. High school, however, was a disaster. I had to pull my second son out of elementary school because

the
>> teachers were clueless about how to work with my son. I wasn't about to make the same mistakes that I made with my older son. My view of the educational system at the pre-college level is quite dark.
>>
>> My teachers didn't work with me. I worked with them.

>Sounds like you're a female. Females are better dispositioned to sitting for long periods of time listening to someone drone on and on and on and on. The male's neurological system doesn't work that way.

Who says I droned? You probably made that up based on your own
experiences
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 6:18:42 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 21:15:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 5:34:08 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 19:54:03 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

> the
> >> teachers were clueless about how to work with my son. I wasn't about to make the same mistakes that I made with my older son. My view of the educational system at the pre-college level is quite dark.
> >>
> >> My teachers didn't work with me. I worked with them.

> >Sounds like you're a female. Females are better dispositioned to sitting for long periods of time listening to someone drone on and on and on and on. The male's neurological system doesn't work that way.

> Who says I droned? You probably made that up based on your own
> experiences

I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about your experiences as a high school student. As far as you being a drone of a teacher goes, that's a question better asked of your students. Their experiences tends to be different than their teachers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21:05 18 Oct 2020, Bruce said:

> On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 20:47:23 +0100, Pamela >
> wrote:

>>> te:

>>> y.

>>> it

>>> Things generally improve after the underachiever leaves high school. I
>>> don't use "underachiever" in a pejorative way. It simply means that
>>> the student is not performing up to the levels they're capable of.
>>> Mostly, it means that the student (usually male) is bored out of their
>>> skulls.

>>Or takes drugs.
>>
>>> These students need all the diversions they can get to survive!

>>More drugs maybe?

> Did you lose a family member or a friend to drugs, maybe? You're always
> going on about them and how bad they are. Like a broken record. Or were
> you a bad addict yourself and now you're preaching?

Drug users often think the whole world must be taking or has taken drugs.
Perhaps it's their sliding set of norms from the lifestyles they drifted
into. However, they overlook the existence of the very large proportion
of the population who have never taken drugs. You appear to fall into the
former category, I fall into the latter.

I grew up in an environment in which my peers took a lot of drugs. Some
are now dead from their habits, including my best friend whom we buried a
few years ago. Others live on the margins of society as wasted hollow
shells of what they could have been. Only one or two are more or less
coping with years of continued drug use and they tend to be dealers.

Kids, the drugs don't work. If you believe they do then that's probably
the drugs making you unable to see yourself objectively.

As it happens I don't go around trying to stop anyone taking drugs. It's
their choice. I often observe their addled quasi-psychiatric mental state
and unbalanced mentation. Its sad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 11:43:17 +0100, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 21:05 18 Oct 2020, Bruce said:
>
>> On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 20:47:23 +0100, Pamela >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>More drugs maybe?

>> Did you lose a family member or a friend to drugs, maybe? You're always
>> going on about them and how bad they are. Like a broken record. Or were
>> you a bad addict yourself and now you're preaching?

>Drug users often think the whole world must be taking or has taken drugs.
>Perhaps it's their sliding set of norms from the lifestyles they drifted
>into. However, they overlook the existence of the very large proportion
>of the population who have never taken drugs. You appear to fall into the
>former category, I fall into the latter.
>
>I grew up in an environment in which my peers took a lot of drugs. Some
>are now dead from their habits, including my best friend whom we buried a
>few years ago. Others live on the margins of society as wasted hollow
>shells of what they could have been. Only one or two are more or less
>coping with years of continued drug use and they tend to be dealers.
>
>Kids, the drugs don't work. If you believe they do then that's probably
>the drugs making you unable to see yourself objectively.
>
>As it happens I don't go around trying to stop anyone taking drugs. It's
>their choice. I often observe their addled quasi-psychiatric mental state
>and unbalanced mentation. Its sad.

But lots of people drink alcohol and/or smoke pot without ruining
their lives. In moderation those substances can make life more
enjoyable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Bruce wrote:
> > One step away from the nunnery.

> What is it with you and nuns? Seek psychological help.

heh heh Sometimes I wonder if he means:
Nunnery as in convent for nuns (probably)
or
Nunnery - Elizabethan era term for "brothel"