Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Time for me to go to work

dsi1 wrote:

> Most things that I post about the future does not go over
> well with this group. That's fine with me since time is
> always on my side.

If you want to know the future, talk to Bruce and Jebus.
They often post here from "the next day."

If you want to see the past, look into your telescope at
the night sky.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> But lots of people drink alcohol and/or smoke pot without ruining
> their lives. In moderation those substances can make life more
> enjoyable.

Especially the alcohol if you're served some bad food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 11:43:17 +0100, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 21:05 18 Oct 2020, Bruce said:
>
>> On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 20:47:23 +0100, Pamela >
>> wrote:

>>>Or takes drugs.

>>>More drugs maybe?

>> Did you lose a family member or a friend to drugs, maybe? You're always
>> going on about them and how bad they are. Like a broken record. Or were
>> you a bad addict yourself and now you're preaching?

>Drug users often think the whole world must be taking or has taken drugs.
>Perhaps it's their sliding set of norms from the lifestyles they drifted
>into. However, they overlook the existence of the very large proportion
>of the population who have never taken drugs. You appear to fall into the
>former category, I fall into the latter.
>
>I grew up in an environment in which my peers took a lot of drugs. Some
>are now dead from their habits, including my best friend whom we buried a
>few years ago. Others live on the margins of society as wasted hollow
>shells of what they could have been. Only one or two are more or less
>coping with years of continued drug use and they tend to be dealers.
>
>Kids, the drugs don't work. If you believe they do then that's probably
>the drugs making you unable to see yourself objectively.
>
>As it happens I don't go around trying to stop anyone taking drugs. It's
>their choice. I often observe their addled quasi-psychiatric mental state
>and unbalanced mentation. Its sad.

Sounds very much like some of the kids I grew up with, constantly on
drugs and didn't live long, my best friend died from an over dose at
18. They all started out on pot and soon moved up to illegal
narcotics.
The only drugs I take are with my doctor's Rx, and the strongest OTC
drugs I take are an occasional Tylenol, Advil, and after dinner vodka
and Spite. I take the Tylenol and Advil to help with my spinal
arthritis but my doctor knows and advised I take those, but to be
honest a double vodka helps more. Sciatica can be very painful and
there's no cure for arthritis... the best help for arhritis is to keep
moving and several doctors agree.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> The only drugs I take are with my doctor's Rx, and the strongest OTC
> drugs I take are an occasional Tylenol, Advil, and after dinner vodka
> and Spite. I take the Tylenol and Advil to help with my spinal
> arthritis but my doctor knows and advised I take those, but to be
> honest a double vodka helps more.

Don't take Tylenol (acetaminophen) when you've been drinking.
It's a proven combination to damage your liver.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 7:59:12 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >
> > The only drugs I take are with my doctor's Rx, and the strongest OTC
> > drugs I take are an occasional Tylenol, Advil, and after dinner vodka
> > and Spite. I take the Tylenol and Advil to help with my spinal
> > arthritis but my doctor knows and advised I take those, but to be
> > honest a double vodka helps more.

> Don't take Tylenol (acetaminophen) when you've been drinking.
> It's a proven combination to damage your liver.

I have a friend who is a nurse who worked on the transplant floor of a local hospital and thanked Tylenol for all the 'business' she got! The LD50 of acetaminophen is dangerously close to the effective dose! But people think because it's OTC that it's safe! :-(

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/19/2020 8:59 AM, Gary wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>> The only drugs I take are with my doctor's Rx, and the strongest OTC
>> drugs I take are an occasional Tylenol, Advil, and after dinner vodka
>> and Spite. I take the Tylenol and Advil to help with my spinal
>> arthritis but my doctor knows and advised I take those, but to be
>> honest a double vodka helps more.

> Don't take Tylenol (acetaminophen) when you've been drinking.
> It's a proven combination to damage your liver.

Exactly right, Gary. Alcohol might also be contraindicated depending on
the Rx meds he takes.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 21:58:45 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 11:43:17 +0100, Pamela >
>wrote:
>
>>On 21:05 18 Oct 2020, Bruce said:

>>> Did you lose a family member or a friend to drugs, maybe? You're always
>>> going on about them and how bad they are. Like a broken record. Or were
>>> you a bad addict yourself and now you're preaching?

>>Drug users often think the whole world must be taking or has taken drugs.
>>Perhaps it's their sliding set of norms from the lifestyles they drifted
>>into. However, they overlook the existence of the very large proportion
>>of the population who have never taken drugs. You appear to fall into the
>>former category, I fall into the latter.
>>
>>I grew up in an environment in which my peers took a lot of drugs. Some
>>are now dead from their habits, including my best friend whom we buried a
>>few years ago. Others live on the margins of society as wasted hollow
>>shells of what they could have been. Only one or two are more or less
>>coping with years of continued drug use and they tend to be dealers.
>>
>>Kids, the drugs don't work. If you believe they do then that's probably
>>the drugs making you unable to see yourself objectively.
>>
>>As it happens I don't go around trying to stop anyone taking drugs. It's
>>their choice. I often observe their addled quasi-psychiatric mental state
>>and unbalanced mentation. Its sad.

>But lots of people drink alcohol and/or smoke pot without ruining
>their lives. In moderation those substances can make life more
>enjoyable.

Most people do not do alcohol and pot in moderation, except when they
first begin for maybe a month... there are a lot of people in drug
rehab and AA who never get well. Most everyone who does pot and/or
alcohol says they only do a little. I lost my SIL to alcohol, pot,
and OTC drugs and this was some 40 years ago. She had everything to
live for, was a beautiful professional dancer, seemed happily married,
with two kids. I found out years afterwards from her mother that she
wasn't happily married, her husband would beat her but she wouldn't
leave him. She continued to drug herself until one day she just
overdid it and never woke up. I lost quite a few friends at a young
age to booze and drugs. The smartest thing I ever did at that time,
even before HS graduation, was to enlist in the Navy, was also one of
the most enjoyable periods in my life. The next day after HS
graduation I went to bootcamp in Great Lakes Ill. I didn't want to
end up in the Army, I was not into dirt and foxholes, shipboard living
is extremely clean, cleaner than hospitals, especially the gally.
Hardly anyone ever caught a cold, germs don't live well at sea... and
it's nearly impossible to get drugs and booze at sea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 08:59:12 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>> The only drugs I take are with my doctor's Rx, and the strongest OTC
>> drugs I take are an occasional Tylenol, Advil, and after dinner vodka
>> and Spite. I take the Tylenol and Advil to help with my spinal
>> arthritis but my doctor knows and advised I take those, but to be
>> honest a double vodka helps more.

>Don't take Tylenol (acetaminophen) when you've been drinking.
>It's a proven combination to damage your liver.

Yup, says so on every bottle. I take Tylenol during the day and
switch to Advil at dinner time. Of course it matters mostly on how
much. I take less than the recommended dose of Tylenol and Advil, and
I don't drink very much Vodka... people here like to tease
because I drink the cheapest vodka, Crystal Palace... little do they
know that Crystal Palace is one of the purest vodkas. Those flavored
vodkas are flavored because otherwise they'd be undrinkable. The
company that makes Crystal Palace (Bartons) makes all kinds of booze
under different labels and charge premium prices because of the fancy
schmancy glass bottles, packaging, and multicolored metalic labels.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barton_Brands
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/19/2020 10:09 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 21:58:45 +1100, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 11:43:17 +0100, Pamela >
>> wrote:

>>> Drug users often think the whole world must be taking or has taken drugs.
>>> Perhaps it's their sliding set of norms from the lifestyles they drifted
>>> into. However, they overlook the existence of the very large proportion
>>> of the population who have never taken drugs. You appear to fall into the
>>> former category, I fall into the latter.
>>>
>>> I grew up in an environment in which my peers took a lot of drugs. Some
>>> are now dead from their habits, including my best friend whom we buried a
>>> few years ago. Others live on the margins of society as wasted hollow
>>> shells of what they could have been. Only one or two are more or less
>>> coping with years of continued drug use and they tend to be dealers.
>>>
>>> Kids, the drugs don't work. If you believe they do then that's probably
>>> the drugs making you unable to see yourself objectively.
>>>
>>> As it happens I don't go around trying to stop anyone taking drugs. It's
>>> their choice. I often observe their addled quasi-psychiatric mental state
>>> and unbalanced mentation. Its sad.

>> But lots of people drink alcohol and/or smoke pot without ruining
>> their lives. In moderation those substances can make life more
>> enjoyable.

> Most people do not do alcohol and pot in moderation, except when they
> first begin for maybe a month... there are a lot of people in drug
> rehab and AA who never get well. Most everyone who does pot and/or
> alcohol says they only do a little. I lost my SIL to alcohol, pot,
> and OTC drugs and this was some 40 years ago. She had everything to
> live for, was a beautiful professional dancer, seemed happily married,
> with two kids. I found out years afterwards from her mother that she
> wasn't happily married, her husband would beat her but she wouldn't
> leave him. She continued to drug herself until one day she just
> overdid it and never woke up.

That's sad, but many abused women don't tell anyone. Either they are
ashamed to admit "Mr. Perfect" wasn't perfect or they are afraid if they
report it and have him arrested he'll do much worse the minute he gets
out of jail; likely beat her to death.

> I lost quite a few friends at a young
> age to booze and drugs. The smartest thing I ever did at that time,
> even before HS graduation, was to enlist in the Navy, was also one of
> the most enjoyable periods in my life. The next day after HS
> graduation I went to bootcamp in Great Lakes Ill. I didn't want to
> end up in the Army, I was not into dirt and foxholes, shipboard living
> is extremely clean, cleaner than hospitals, especially the gally.
> Hardly anyone ever caught a cold, germs don't live well at sea... and
> it's nearly impossible to get drugs and booze at sea.

If you think the military back in the day didn't supply or even
encourage booze you're sadly mistaken. My father enlisted at age 17 at
the outset of WWII and oh, the booze did flow freely at the Enlisted
Men's Club. And later at the Officer's Club. Even when he was in
Vietnam there was always booze. I doubt he ever smoked pot or took
illegal drugs but that doesn't matter. The military culture back in the
day always had the image of a "hard fisted drinking man".

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 22:41:01 -0500, Hank Rogers wrote:

> Your view of everything is quite dark.

Nonsense, Hank. It's just his view being blocked by his Covid mask
getting pushed into his eyes when he sticks his nose into an anus.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> If you think the military back in the day didn't supply or even
> encourage booze you're sadly mistaken. My father enlisted at age 17 at
> the outset of WWII and oh, the booze did flow freely at the Enlisted
> Men's Club. And later at the Officer's Club. Even when he was in
> Vietnam there was always booze. I doubt he ever smoked pot or took
> illegal drugs but that doesn't matter. The military culture back in the
> day always had the image of a "hard fisted drinking man".

And going way back in history, right before a big battle many
soldiers were given booze freely in order to fight like crazy
and "not give a damn."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-10-19 10:35 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 08:59:12 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>> Don't take Tylenol (acetaminophen) when you've been drinking.
>> It's a proven combination to damage your liver.

> Yup, says so on every bottle. I take Tylenol during the day and
> switch to Advil at dinner time. Of course it matters mostly on how
> much. I take less than the recommended dose of Tylenol and Advil, and
> I don't drink very much Vodka... people here like to tease
> because I drink the cheapest vodka, Crystal Palace...

I think you have that wrong. I think it is more likely because you
sometimes post nonsense that gives the impression you are drunk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 15:14:45 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 22:41:01 -0500, Hank Rogers wrote:
>
>> Your view of everything is quite dark.

>Nonsense, Hank. It's just his view being blocked by his Covid mask
>getting pushed into his eyes when he sticks his nose into an anus.

I have no idea why you have a problem with me. I don't know you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 07:46:24 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Bruce wrote:
>> > One step away from the nunnery.

>> What is it with you and nuns? Seek psychological help.

>heh heh Sometimes I wonder if he means:
>Nunnery as in convent for nuns (probably)
> or
>Nunnery - Elizabethan era term for "brothel"

Yeah, convent. Jill's a near miss for the convent.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-10-19 11:11 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

> That's sad, but many abused women don't tell anyone.Â* Either they are
> ashamed to admit "Mr. Perfect" wasn't perfect or they are afraid if they
> report it and have him arrested he'll do much worse the minute he gets
> out of jail; likely beat her to death.

Cops hate attending domestics. They often involve drug and alcohol abuse
in both parties and if the guy gets physical with the cops and they have
to subdue him the wife will sometimes jump on the cops to help him.

> If you think the military back in the day didn't supply or even
> encourage booze you're sadly mistaken.Â* My father enlisted at age 17 at
> the outset of WWII and oh, the booze did flow freely at the Enlisted
> Men's Club.Â* And later at the Officer's Club.Â* Even when he was in
> Vietnam there was always booze.Â* I doubt he ever smoked pot or took
> illegal drugs but that doesn't matter.Â* The military culture back in the
> day always had the image of a "hard fisted drinking man".

I was in the reserves in the late 60s and it was as much a drinking club
as it was a military unit. That is pretty much the history of our armed
forces. When we were a young country we had almost no regular army. We
had local militia units. They were usually funded by the wealthy people
in the community. In a lot of communities they were a major component of
the town's social life.

I was 16-17 years old when I was in the militia. The drinking age was 21
at the time but we had our own mess hall with a bar, a well stocked beer
fridge, a 5x19 slate pool table and a colour TV. We spent more time
playing pool and drinking beer than we did training. When we went on
weekend bivouac we had to do our trades training and play silly bugger,
but when that was all done it was time to drink.

One year we went on a two week exercise at an army base near Ottawa. The
beer and liquor store workers were on strike in Ontario, so they got a
couple boats and were crossing over to Quebec for the booze.

In times of war they would be called up to the regular forces and and
sent overseas. During WWI the soldiers probably had as much booze as
water. It flowed freely on the front lines. It was their way of coping
with the hell of living in cold, wet trenches and being under frequent
artillery fire. Soldiers were given a hefty ration of liquor before
going over the top. The soldiers attacking the enemy trenches were often
half drunk.

I don't know if it was much different it was in the American army. My
father in law told me that he was in charge of unloading a rail car full
of supplies for the officer's mess. They stole one of the cases of
champagne and it was the first time he ever got drunk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-10-19 11:30 a.m., Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> If you think the military back in the day didn't supply or even
>> encourage booze you're sadly mistaken. My father enlisted at age 17 at
>> the outset of WWII and oh, the booze did flow freely at the Enlisted
>> Men's Club. And later at the Officer's Club. Even when he was in
>> Vietnam there was always booze. I doubt he ever smoked pot or took
>> illegal drugs but that doesn't matter. The military culture back in the
>> day always had the image of a "hard fisted drinking man".

> And going way back in history, right before a big battle many
> soldiers were given booze freely in order to fight like crazy
> and "not give a damn."

There is no end to stories about Vietnam war vets suffering from PTSD
and blame that for their alcohol and drug abuse. It most likely started
over there because they had a lot of spare time and nothing to do so
they got drunk or stone, or both.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce whined:
> I have no idea why you have a problem with me. I don't know you.

It's probably for the same reason others don't
like you, you're an anti American asshole.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 12:26:14 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>Bruce whined:
>> I have no idea why you have a problem with me. I don't know you.
>>

>It's probably for the same reason others don't
>like you, you're an anti American asshole.

Some of you can't handle any criticism. Poor things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 11:11:44 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 10/19/2020 10:09 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 21:58:45 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

>>> But lots of people drink alcohol and/or smoke pot without ruining
>>> their lives. In moderation those substances can make life more
>>> enjoyable.

>> Most people do not do alcohol and pot in moderation, except when they
>> first begin for maybe a month... there are a lot of people in drug
>> rehab and AA who never get well. Most everyone who does pot and/or
>> alcohol says they only do a little. I lost my SIL to alcohol, pot,
>> and OTC drugs and this was some 40 years ago. She had everything to
>> live for, was a beautiful professional dancer, seemed happily married,
>> with two kids. I found out years afterwards from her mother that she
>> wasn't happily married, her husband would beat her but she wouldn't
>> leave him. She continued to drug herself until one day she just
>> overdid it and never woke up.

>That's sad, but many abused women don't tell anyone. Either they are
>ashamed to admit "Mr. Perfect" wasn't perfect or they are afraid if they
>report it and have him arrested he'll do much worse the minute he gets
>out of jail; likely beat her to death.
>
>> I lost quite a few friends at a young
>> age to booze and drugs. The smartest thing I ever did at that time,
>> even before HS graduation, was to enlist in the Navy, was also one of
>> the most enjoyable periods in my life. The next day after HS
>> graduation I went to bootcamp in Great Lakes Ill. I didn't want to
>> end up in the Army, I was not into dirt and foxholes, shipboard living
>> is extremely clean, cleaner than hospitals, especially the gally.
>> Hardly anyone ever caught a cold, germs don't live well at sea... and
>> it's nearly impossible to get drugs and booze at sea.
>>

>If you think the military back in the day didn't supply or even
>encourage booze you're sadly mistaken. My father enlisted at age 17 at
>the outset of WWII and oh, the booze did flow freely at the Enlisted
>Men's Club. And later at the Officer's Club. Even when he was in
>Vietnam there was always booze. I doubt he ever smoked pot or took
>illegal drugs but that doesn't matter. The military culture back in the
>day always had the image of a "hard fisted drinking man".
>
>Jill

There have always been a lot of alkies serving shore duty. At sea
there are no package stores for buying booze, and returning from
liberty it's impossible to sneak a bottle aboard past the quarterdeck
wearing a Navy uniform. There's nowhere to hide stuff in a Navy
uniform, even a pack of cigs needed to be secreted in a sock
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/19/2020 12:03 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-10-19 11:11 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>
>> That's sad, but many abused women don't tell anyone.Â* Either they are
>> ashamed to admit "Mr. Perfect" wasn't perfect or they are afraid if
>> they report it and have him arrested he'll do much worse the minute he
>> gets out of jail; likely beat her to death.

> Cops hate attending domestics. They often involve drug and alcohol abuse
> in both parties and if the guy gets physical with the cops and they have
> to subdue him the wife will sometimes jump on the cops to help him.

Probably. But if an abused woman puts on a good face and fails to
report him it is likely she either thinks no one will believe her
(Sheldon sure thought his SIL was "happily married" and had "everything
to live for", didn't he?). Likely if she does have him arrested he will
seek his revenge once he is released for her *daring* to call the cops.

Many abusers are, to all outward appearances, upstanding members of the
community. Not junkies. They could be members of the Chamber of
Commerce or the Rotary Club. They always present their best face in
public, hail fellow well met kind of guys. Wifey is expected to play
along. The situation is even worse if an abused woman is married to a
cop and feels she has nowhere to turn.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/19/2020 1:52 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 11:11:44 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Most people do not do alcohol and pot in moderation, except when they
>>> first begin for maybe a month... there are a lot of people in drug
>>> rehab and AA who never get well. Most everyone who does pot and/or
>>> alcohol says they only do a little. I lost my SIL to alcohol, pot,
>>> and OTC drugs and this was some 40 years ago. She had everything to
>>> live for, was a beautiful professional dancer, seemed happily married,
>>> with two kids. I found out years afterwards from her mother that she
>>> wasn't happily married, her husband would beat her but she wouldn't
>>> leave him. She continued to drug herself until one day she just
>>> overdid it and never woke up.

>> That's sad, but many abused women don't tell anyone. Either they are
>> ashamed to admit "Mr. Perfect" wasn't perfect or they are afraid if they
>> report it and have him arrested he'll do much worse the minute he gets
>> out of jail; likely beat her to death.
>>
>> If you think the military back in the day didn't supply or even
>> encourage booze you're sadly mistaken. My father enlisted at age 17 at
>> the outset of WWII and oh, the booze did flow freely at the Enlisted
>> Men's Club. And later at the Officer's Club. Even when he was in
>> Vietnam there was always booze. I doubt he ever smoked pot or took
>> illegal drugs but that doesn't matter. The military culture back in the
>> day always had the image of a "hard fisted drinking man".
>>
>> Jill

> There have always been a lot of alkies serving shore duty. At sea
> there are no package stores for buying booze, and returning from
> liberty it's impossible to sneak a bottle aboard past the quarterdeck
> wearing a Navy uniform. There's nowhere to hide stuff in a Navy
> uniform, even a pack of cigs needed to be secreted in a sock

R I G H T... you also once proclaimed there were no US Marines on Navy
ships during WWII. You were wrong about that, too.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-10-19 2:13 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/19/2020 12:03 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2020-10-19 11:11 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> That's sad, but many abused women don't tell anyone.Â* Either they are
>>> ashamed to admit "Mr. Perfect" wasn't perfect or they are afraid if
>>> they report it and have him arrested he'll do much worse the minute
>>> he gets out of jail; likely beat her to death.

>> Cops hate attending domestics. They often involve drug and alcohol
>> abuse in both parties and if the guy gets physical with the cops and
>> they have to subdue him the wife will sometimes jump on the cops to
>> help him.
>>

> Probably.Â* But if an abused woman puts on a good face and fails to
> report him it is likely she either thinks no one will believe her
> (Sheldon sure thought his SIL was "happily married" and had "everything
> to live for", didn't he?).Â* Likely if she does have him arrested he will
> seek his revenge once he is released for her *daring* to call the cops.
>
> Many abusers are, to all outward appearances, upstanding members of the
> community.Â* Not junkies.Â* They could be members of the Chamber of
> Commerce or the Rotary Club.Â* They always present their best face in
> public, hail fellow well met kind of guys.Â* Wifey is expected to play
> along.Â* The situation is even worse if an abused woman is married to a
> cop and feels she has nowhere to turn.

There are a number of types of domestic abuse and lots of different
factors, but substance abuse is one of the single most common ones,
being involved in close to 40% of cases. It usually takes two to tango
and it is not always the male who starts the conflict, but the male is
usually the one who is stronger and it is the female who gets hurt.
Women are much more likely to complain about domestic than men are. Men
are reluctant to admit that they have been assaulted by their wife.

FWIW, a researcher at the University of Winnipeg has found that same sex
female relationships are often more more violent that male-femle
relationships.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 12:43:27 AM UTC-10, Pamela wrote:
> On 21:05 18 Oct 2020, Bruce said:
>
> > On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 20:47:23 +0100, Pamela >
> > wrote:

> >>Or takes drugs.

> >>More drugs maybe?

> > Did you lose a family member or a friend to drugs, maybe? You're always
> > going on about them and how bad they are. Like a broken record. Or were
> > you a bad addict yourself and now you're preaching?

> Drug users often think the whole world must be taking or has taken drugs.
> Perhaps it's their sliding set of norms from the lifestyles they drifted
> into. However, they overlook the existence of the very large proportion
> of the population who have never taken drugs. You appear to fall into the
> former category, I fall into the latter.
>
> I grew up in an environment in which my peers took a lot of drugs. Some
> are now dead from their habits, including my best friend whom we buried a
> few years ago. Others live on the margins of society as wasted hollow
> shells of what they could have been. Only one or two are more or less
> coping with years of continued drug use and they tend to be dealers.
>
> Kids, the drugs don't work. If you believe they do then that's probably
> the drugs making you unable to see yourself objectively.
>
> As it happens I don't go around trying to stop anyone taking drugs. It's
> their choice. I often observe their addled quasi-psychiatric mental state
> and unbalanced mentation. Its sad.

My wife and I were listening to the Beach Boy's "God Only Knows." She tells me that if she never met me, she thinks that she'd be a druggie alcoholic. That's an interesting thing to say. I'm like a freakin' personal Jesus. That's awesome - everybody should have a personal Jesus!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 11:42:38 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2020-10-19 10:35 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 08:59:12 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>>> Don't take Tylenol (acetaminophen) when you've been drinking.
>>> It's a proven combination to damage your liver.

>> Yup, says so on every bottle. I take Tylenol during the day and
>> switch to Advil at dinner time. Of course it matters mostly on how
>> much. I take less than the recommended dose of Tylenol and Advil, and
>> I don't drink very much Vodka... people here like to tease
>> because I drink the cheapest vodka, Crystal Palace...

>I think you have that wrong. I think it is more likely because you
>sometimes post nonsense that gives the impression you are drunk.

I write that crap on purpose knowing full well it will get a rise out
of the dummies. I don't drink until long after dinner and not more
than one or two... often none... half the time plain Diet Sprite. Of
late I can't find Diet Sprite in cans so I either buy Sprite in cans
with sugar or Diet sprite in 2 liter bottles. I don't like those 2
liter bottles, they tend to go flat before I can finish one. There
was a time long ago and far away I was into wine but for a long time
now the only wine I drink is a glass of Champagne for New Years for
tradition... used be the pricy stuff but now Frexnet from Portugal is
just fine. Our favorite eats for new years is a good Italian hero;
Semolina bread with Sopresatta, Genoa, Provolone, shredded Romaine
with a little EVOO and vinegar, or Wishbone Italian and Guldens. Were
we still within ten minutes of NYC we'd go into Little Italy for
Scungilli, pepper biscuit, and ****gets with marinara, and later a
half gallon of real Spumoni... from Spumoni Gardens on 65th Street in
Brooklyn, the best Italian food on the planet and pizza to die for.
Unfortunately the virus screwed their web site:
https://www.foodbooking.com/ordering...=1595017924014
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 10:09:15 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>Most people do not do alcohol and pot in moderation, except when they
>first begin for maybe a month...

LOL. You STILL manage to make me laugh with your ridiculous
pronouncements,.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 3:44:10 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-10-15 3:51 p.m., Bryan Simmons wrote:

> >> I like the way you think. It is wise not to make threats if you plan to
> >> do something extreme. There is no reason to give the cops any leads.

> > Hoping that someone dies in no way indicates that one would take an
> > action to cause the person's death. > The coworker is the one putting
> > others' lives at risk by not practicing Covid hygeine.

> You would have a point if they had the disease or had tested positive.
> If he doesn't have it and there is little chance that that he has been
> exposed he is not putting anyone else at risk.
>
> You said he has some kind of heart problem. If he has congestive heart
> failure he could have a really hard time breathing with a mask on, and
> some people with health conditions are exempt from having to wear a mask.

He wears the mask after the store is open. A lot of my co-workers think that
we only have to cover our faces because the customers would complain if we
didn't. Also, this guy spends his breaks outside sucking on cigarettes. He
probably does have congestive heart issues. The week before he went to
leave, there was a major reset in my department, and he did some of the sets.
IMO, he's the only person in the store who is on my level as far as setting
plan-o-grams. He ****ed up some of the work, and I told my manager that he
had, and that I was really surprised because he's one of the most competent
workers. I even suggested that he seemed a little off. Anyway, the guy is a
prick.

> > The piece of shit. Jeßus, needs a little Mr. Rogers.

> That's prettty rich coming from the person who wished someone dead.

I'm not meaning for niceness, but cognition. Wishing ill upon a person
doesn't harm them. What does cause harm is not following Covid hygeine.
Suggesting that I'm dangerous, and that he'd murder me if I lived near him
is asinine. He's the one who is potentially dangerous.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 3:44:10 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> > > Hoping that someone dies in no way indicates that one would take an
> > > action to cause the person's death. > The coworker is the one putting
> > > others' lives at risk by not practicing Covid hygeine.

> > You would have a point if they had the disease or had tested positive.
> > If he doesn't have it and there is little chance that that he has been
> > exposed he is not putting anyone else at risk.
> >
> > You said he has some kind of heart problem. If he has congestive heart
> > failure he could have a really hard time breathing with a mask on, and
> > some people with health conditions are exempt from having to wear a mask.

> He wears the mask after the store is open. A lot of my co-workers think that
> we only have to cover our faces because the customers would complain if we
> didn't. Also, this guy spends his breaks outside sucking on cigarettes. He
> probably does have congestive heart issues. The week before he went to
> leave, there was a major reset in my department, and he did some of the sets.
> IMO, he's the only person in the store who is on my level as far as setting
> plan-o-grams. He ****ed up some of the work, and I told my manager that he
> had, and that I was really surprised because he's one of the most competent
> workers. I even suggested that he seemed a little off. Anyway, the guy is a
> prick.
> >
> > > The piece of shit. Jeßus, needs a little Mr. Rogers.

> > That's prettty rich coming from the person who wished someone dead.

> I'm not meaning for niceness, but cognition. Wishing ill upon a person
> doesn't harm them. What does cause harm is not following Covid hygeine.
> Suggesting that I'm dangerous, and that he'd murder me if I lived near him
> is asinine. He's the one who is potentially dangerous.
>
> --Bryan

You make perfect sense as far as I can see.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 21:58:45 +1100, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 11:43:17 +0100, Pamela >
>> wrote:

>>> Drug users often think the whole world must be taking or has taken drugs.
>>> Perhaps it's their sliding set of norms from the lifestyles they drifted
>>> into. However, they overlook the existence of the very large proportion
>>> of the population who have never taken drugs. You appear to fall into the
>>> former category, I fall into the latter.
>>>
>>> I grew up in an environment in which my peers took a lot of drugs. Some
>>> are now dead from their habits, including my best friend whom we buried a
>>> few years ago. Others live on the margins of society as wasted hollow
>>> shells of what they could have been. Only one or two are more or less
>>> coping with years of continued drug use and they tend to be dealers.
>>>
>>> Kids, the drugs don't work. If you believe they do then that's probably
>>> the drugs making you unable to see yourself objectively.
>>>
>>> As it happens I don't go around trying to stop anyone taking drugs. It's
>>> their choice. I often observe their addled quasi-psychiatric mental state
>>> and unbalanced mentation. Its sad.

>> But lots of people drink alcohol and/or smoke pot without ruining
>> their lives. In moderation those substances can make life more
>> enjoyable.

> Most people do not do alcohol and pot in moderation, except when they
> first begin for maybe a month... there are a lot of people in drug
> rehab and AA who never get well. Most everyone who does pot and/or
> alcohol says they only do a little. I lost my SIL to alcohol, pot,
> and OTC drugs and this was some 40 years ago. She had everything to
> live for, was a beautiful professional dancer, seemed happily married,
> with two kids. I found out years afterwards from her mother that she
> wasn't happily married, her husband would beat her but she wouldn't
> leave him. She continued to drug herself until one day she just
> overdid it and never woke up. I lost quite a few friends at a young
> age to booze and drugs. The smartest thing I ever did at that time,
> even before HS graduation, was to enlist in the Navy, was also one of
> the most enjoyable periods in my life. The next day after HS
> graduation I went to bootcamp in Great Lakes Ill. I didn't want to
> end up in the Army, I was not into dirt and foxholes, shipboard living
> is extremely clean, cleaner than hospitals, especially the gally.
> Hardly anyone ever caught a cold, germs don't live well at sea... and
> it's nearly impossible to get drugs and booze at sea.

Corona virus seems to do quite well on navy ships.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 4:25:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> The week before he went to
> leave, there was a major reset in my department, and he did some of the sets.
> IMO, he's the only person in the store who is on my level as far as setting
> plan-o-grams. He ****ed up some of the work, and I told my manager that he
> had, and that I was really surprised because he's one of the most competent
> workers. I even suggested that he seemed a little off. Anyway, the guy is a
> prick.
> >

> --Bryan

You saw your chance to throw him under bus so you couldn't let that heaven
sent opportunity go waste. Also, you were hoping to make some brownie
points with the boss. Careful what you wish for, it could come back to bite
you in the butt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 10:44:10 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-10-15 3:51 p.m., Bryan Simmons wrote:

> >> I like the way you think. It is wise not to make threats if you plan to
> >> do something extreme. There is no reason to give the cops any leads.

> > Hoping that someone dies in no way indicates that one would take an
> > action to cause the person's death. > The coworker is the one putting
> > others' lives at risk by not practicing Covid hygeine.

> You would have a point if they had the disease or had tested positive.
> If he doesn't have it and there is little chance that that he has been
> exposed he is not putting anyone else at risk.
>
> You said he has some kind of heart problem. If he has congestive heart
> failure he could have a really hard time breathing with a mask on, and
> some people with health conditions are exempt from having to wear a mask.
>
> > The piece of shit. Jeßus, needs a little Mr. Rogers.

> That's prettty rich coming from the person who wished someone dead.

One person fantasizes about someone dying. One person fantasizes about murdering someone. Do the math.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 10:44:10 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> > > Hoping that someone dies in no way indicates that one would take an
> > > action to cause the person's death. > The coworker is the one putting
> > > others' lives at risk by not practicing Covid hygeine.

> > You would have a point if they had the disease or had tested positive.
> > If he doesn't have it and there is little chance that that he has been
> > exposed he is not putting anyone else at risk.
> >
> > You said he has some kind of heart problem. If he has congestive heart
> > failure he could have a really hard time breathing with a mask on, and
> > some people with health conditions are exempt from having to wear a mask.
> >
> > > The piece of shit. Jeßus, needs a little Mr. Rogers.

> > That's prettty rich coming from the person who wished someone dead.

> One person fantasizes about someone dying. One person fantasizes about murdering someone. Do the math.

I wish one or the other would happen to Trump the Orange Baboon lol.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 8:15:55 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:
> >
> > I just ordered another hundred K-N95 respirators. I need to be
> > better about not wearing the same one for multiple days, and
> > having a hundred of them will help.

> Not respirators. Just better than average dust masks.
> Anyway...you bought 100 new ones? You go, boy. Bet
> that cost you a chunk of change these days.

They are the Chinese equivalent of N95 medical respirators, and
they cost $39.98 w/ free shipping. That's 40 cents each. A few
months ago I paid $3 a piece for FFP2 (EU certified equivalent)
ones. The virus is bad here in Missouri, and not so much in
urban, suburban and exurban areas, where population density is
higher, but in rural counties where far fewer persons wear face
coverings.

https://www.kmov.com/news/missouri-r...11fa5bcf6.html
"The state said the positivity rate for coronavirus tests over the
last seven days is 19.7%, and six counties reported rates above
50%. The counties with positivity rates over 50% are Holt,
New Madrid, Osage, Stoddard, Dekalb and Moniteau counties.
Holt County led the state with a positivity rate of 63.2%."

St. Louis City and St. Louis County have lower numbers, but as
rural health facilities are overwhelmed with cases, patients are
being brought to metropolitan areas, and it *will* get worse here.

The extra protection provided by N95 equivalent respirators over
cheap surgical masks might not be large, but it is not trivial,
especially when working in a fairly poorly ventilated building
where irresponsible persons go around with no masks at all. As
Winter said in my book, "I am exceedingly fond of my existence."

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 5:25:56 PM UTC-5, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> They are the Chinese equivalent of N95 medical respirators, and
> they cost $39.98 w/ free shipping. That's 40 cents each. A few
> months ago I paid $3 a piece for FFP2 (EU certified equivalent)
> ones. The virus is bad here in Missouri, and not so much in
> urban, suburban and exurban areas, where population density is
> higher, but in rural counties where far fewer persons wear face
> coverings.

I have masks hanging from both my vehicles' Rear Views to wear when I am out, but little elsewhere, except for lawn work!

My father who died at 99 always said "We eat a peck of dirt before we die." and I'm working on my second peck! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 8:36:50 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:
> >
> > He hailed a cab, and after tossing his heavy backpack that was the
> > only luggage they had into the front seat, he slid in next to Ann.
> > When they were safely inside, he said, "The Palomar please." He
> > regretted not having gone there with Lauren. She'd agreed they
> > couldn't afford it, but had waxed about the "spa lady" amenities, and
> > he thought, "We really should have gone." But then his mind flew to
> > the butterflies. One flap of a wing, and this future might never have
> > happened.
> >
> > *****************
> >
> > You should read my book.

> I think we are all reading it, like it or not, quote by quote
> anyway as we read your posts.

You get tidbits when they are relevant. When Jill made the absurd assertion
that I was "bragging" about my youthful drug use, I thought, "The only thing I
*brag* about is my book," and it's not really bragging. If folks read it, it might
even lower their opinion of me. They could cherry-pick it to disparage me.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> My wife and I were listening to the Beach Boy's "God Only Knows." She tells me that if she never met me, she thinks that she'd be a druggie alcoholic. That's an interesting thing to say. I'm like a freakin' personal Jesus. That's awesome - everybody should have a personal Jesus!

And being Jesus, you DO have the ability to heal the hearing
impaired.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:
> You saw your chance to throw him under bus so you couldn't let that heaven
> sent opportunity go waste. Also, you were hoping to make some brownie
> points with the boss. Careful what you wish for, it could come back to bite
> you in the butt.

Office/company politics suck. Most companies have at least
one person playing that game.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan Simmons wrote:

> They are the Chinese equivalent of N95 medical respirators, and
> they cost $39.98 w/ free shipping. That's 40 cents each.

That's an amazing price. Much less than the 3M N95 masks cost
a few years ago when I bought some.

We agree though, anytime you are around people, always wear
a mask and hope the others do too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> now the only wine I drink is a glass of Champagne for New Years for
> tradition... used be the pricy stuff but now Frexnet from Portugal is
> just fine.

Many years ago, I hosted a NYE party. We were all drinking the
very cheap Andre (sp?) champagne. Later on, a richie-rich friend
of mine showed up. He swiped a couple bottles of expensive
Dom Perignon champagne from his father's wine cellar stash.

That was cool. We could compare cheap vs expensive.
All of us thought the cheap was much better tasting. lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-10-20 6:53 a.m., Gary wrote:
> " wrote:
>> You saw your chance to throw him under bus so you couldn't let that heaven
>> sent opportunity go waste. Also, you were hoping to make some brownie
>> points with the boss. Careful what you wish for, it could come back to bite
>> you in the butt.

> Office/company politics suck. Most companies have at least
> one person playing that game.

A few years before I retired we had a small number of our guys pushing
for body armor. I was opposed to it and argued that the chances of
getting shot on the job were extremely low and there was much more
chance of heat stroke than getting shot. We had only one guy was was
repeatedly assaulted, so the problem was likely him.

I suggested to some people in the head office that I would like to see
them all wearing body armor on the job, and that they could also turn
off the heating and air conditioning so they would know what it was
like. I added that they would need to redesign the vests because they
were made to protect from bullets, not a knife in the back.