Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Navy bean soup review

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 2:31:51 PM UTC-4, graham wrote:
> On 2020-05-25 8:04 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 9:49:31 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> >> On Mon, 25 May 2020 03:05:03 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> >> The place in town is larger than what one expects at the end of a
> >> short dirt road and they process a lot deer at hunting time, they also
> >> do a lot of meat smoking, and make sausage too. I'm sure they sell
> >> more than they use.

> > <https://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/2013/11/why_venison_isnt_found_in_more.html>
> >
> > State law prohibits unlicensed sale of wild game. Officials say only about a dozen or so standalone meat processors in Michigan are licensed to resell venison, although the total number of establishments licensed to process wild game is much higher.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Do you have much CWD in the deer population? The spread of it has been
> quite alarming.

Not right around here, but it gets closer every year.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 1:02:08 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> We went to a wedding that had a whole roasted pig. It was okay but a pig is better when cooked the Hawaiian way - underground. When a pig is cooked in an imu, it's steamed and smoked with banana leaves. A whole roasted pig is pretty "festive" but it was kind of dry and lacked flavor.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...wVNYQ_79ebnKHb

I can see why that pig was dry and lacked flavor. I don't see a.n.y.
seasoning whatsoever, no wonder it lacked flavor. If you throw a roast or
a whole chicken in your home oven without any seasoning it's going to bland..
Salt is not the only seasoning needed; all this poor pig had was crispy skin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 9:32:11 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 1:02:08 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > We went to a wedding that had a whole roasted pig. It was okay but a pig is better when cooked the Hawaiian way - underground. When a pig is cooked in an imu, it's steamed and smoked with banana leaves. A whole roasted pig is pretty "festive" but it was kind of dry and lacked flavor.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...wVNYQ_79ebnKHb
> >

> I can see why that pig was dry and lacked flavor. I don't see a.n.y.
> seasoning whatsoever, no wonder it lacked flavor. If you throw a roast or
> a whole chicken in your home oven without any seasoning it's going to bland.
> Salt is not the only seasoning needed; all this poor pig had was crispy skin.

I like the cracklin's as much as anybody. The skin on this pig was pretty much what it looked like - a hard, tough, shell that was not gonna be broken without a fight. I gave up trying to bite through it.

The Chinese know how to make crispy skin. Dishes like Peking duck and roast pork belly are mostly all about crispy skin. The meat is secondary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGKFqO1aY78
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> graham wrote:
> > Do you have much CWD in the deer population?
> > The spread of it has been
> > quite alarming.

> Not right around here, but it gets closer every year.

"contagious neurological disease affecting deer, elk and moose."

Those kids should be wearing masks. Maybe they're waiting
for Donald to tell them to do so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2020 8:11 AM, Gary wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>>
>>> Ham hock: One ham hock was plenty of ham flavor but it was
>>> a bit odd ham flavor. Hard to describe other than it wasn't
>>> as tasty as using a ham bone with some meat.

>> Ham hocks are smoked again with a stronger flavor that doesn't work
>> well. I've learned not to use ANY rinds of ham (or hocks)in my
>> beans.

> Yeah, must have been the smoked part. I bought a pack of 2
> and it did say "smoked."

FYI, smoked ham hocks are good if you're cooking up a mess o' greens.

Jill