Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Navy Bean Soup with Ham

Got this from Cinnamon Hearts web site last year. It's now a family
favorite especially when the cold weather comes to stay.

NAVY BEAN SOUP WITH HAM

A quick-soak method is used for the beans. If you prefer soaking the beans
overnight, skip the first paragraph and proceed with the recipe. From Skinny
Comfort Foods, ©1996 by Sue Spitler, published by Surrey Books, Inc.

8 ounces dried navy OR Great Northern beans, washed and sorted
Water to cover
1-1/2 cups (8 ounces) cubed lean smoked ham, visible fat trimmed
2/3 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup chopped carrots
1 rib celery, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp flour
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup water
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste

Cover beans with 2 inches of water in large saucepan; heat to boiling and
boil, uncovered, 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 1 hour;
drain.

Sauté ham, onion, carrot, celery and garlic in oil in large saucepan until
vegetables are tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in flour; cook over medium heat
1 minute.

Add beans, broth, water, and herbs to the saucepan; heat to boiling. Reduce
heat and simmer, covered, until beans are tender, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours.
Discard bay leaf; season to taste with salt and pepper.

Makes 6 Servings (1-1/4 cups each).

Sodium Alert! This recipe is not suitable for those on salt-restricted meal
plans.

Per Serving: 223 Cal; 4 g Total Fat (1 g Sat Fat); 30 g Carb; 22 mg
Cholesterol; 639 mg Sodium; 20 g Protein. Exchanges: 2 Bread/Starch; 2 Very
Lean Meat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Oops! My apologies for posting a copywrited recipe .... I didn't notice it.

"Barbara H" > wrote in message
> Got this from Cinnamon Hearts web site last year. It's now a family
> favorite especially when the cold weather comes to stay.
>
> NAVY BEAN SOUP WITH HAM
>

> A quick-soak method is used for the beans. If you prefer soaking the beans
> overnight, skip the first paragraph and proceed with the recipe. From
> Skinny Comfort Foods, ©1996 by Sue Spitler, published by Surrey Books,
> Inc.
>

> 8 ounces dried navy OR Great Northern beans, washed and sorted
> Water to cover
> 1-1/2 cups (8 ounces) cubed lean smoked ham, visible fat trimmed
> 2/3 cup chopped onion
> 2/3 cup chopped carrots
> 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
> 1 Tbsp flour
> 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
> 1 cup water
> 1/4 tsp dried thyme
> 1 bay leaf
> Salt and pepper to taste
>
> Cover beans with 2 inches of water in large saucepan; heat to boiling and
> boil, uncovered, 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 1
> hour; drain.
>
> Sauté ham, onion, carrot, celery and garlic in oil in large saucepan until
> vegetables are tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in flour; cook over medium
> heat 1 minute.
>
> Add beans, broth, water, and herbs to the saucepan; heat to boiling.
> Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until beans are tender, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2
> hours. Discard bay leaf; season to taste with salt and pepper.
>
> Makes 6 Servings (1-1/4 cups each).
>
> Sodium Alert! This recipe is not suitable for those on salt-restricted
> meal plans.
>
> Per Serving: 223 Cal; 4 g Total Fat (1 g Sat Fat); 30 g Carb; 22 mg
> Cholesterol; 639 mg Sodium; 20 g Protein. Exchanges: 2 Bread/Starch; 2
> Very Lean Meat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:26:39 -0600, "Barbara H"
> wrote:

> 30 g Carb;

That's an awful lot of my carb allowance for a meal gone in
the soup before I start on the main course.

I often only have soup for lunch; but that's still twice the
level I limit myself to at lunch-time. YMMV

Have you tested yourself an hour after eating this? Or do
you adjust insulin or meds for it?

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Psyllium, Fibre, Muesli and Nuts
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Barbara H" > wrote in message
> Oops! My apologies for posting a copywrited recipe .... I didn't notice
> it.

You can post a copyrighted recipe so long as you say where you got it from.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:26:39 -0600, "Barbara H"
> > wrote:
>
>> 30 g Carb;

> That's an awful lot of my carb allowance for a meal gone in
> the soup before I start on the main course.
>
> I often only have soup for lunch; but that's still twice the
> level I limit myself to at lunch-time. YMMV
>
> Have you tested yourself an hour after eating this? Or do
> you adjust insulin or meds for it?

In our house if we have soup, that IS the meal!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:26:39 -0600, "Barbara H"
> > wrote:
>
>> 30 g Carb;

> That's an awful lot of my carb allowance for a meal gone in
> the soup before I start on the main course.
>
> I often only have soup for lunch; but that's still twice the
> level I limit myself to at lunch-time. YMMV
>
> Have you tested yourself an hour after eating this? Or do
> you adjust insulin or meds for it?
>

> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
> --
> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
> Psyllium, Fibre, Muesli and Nuts

Yes and I know my numbers are higher when I eat that many carbs at one meal.
However, I do okay with beans. I also eat pinto beans every week or two.
I've never tested higher than 130's at one and even at two hours sometimes.
Seems like the spike comes a little later when I eat beans. Anyway, I leave
off the corn bread so I'm pretty proud of myself for that. I stick to one
serving and as Julie said, the soup is the meal.

You make a good point about carbs at lunch. I almost always wait until the
evening to have beans just because I'm caring for an elderly parent and a
favorite is beans and cornbread or this soup and cornbread.

Best, Barbara H T2 - exercise & diet & metformin 1500 - latest A1c 5.7

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:18:42 -0600, "Barbara H"
> wrote:

>"Alan S" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:26:39 -0600, "Barbara H"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> 30 g Carb;

>> That's an awful lot of my carb allowance for a meal gone in
>> the soup before I start on the main course.
>>
>> I often only have soup for lunch; but that's still twice the
>> level I limit myself to at lunch-time. YMMV
>>
>> Have you tested yourself an hour after eating this? Or do
>> you adjust insulin or meds for it?
>>

>> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
>> d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
>> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
>> --
>> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
>> Psyllium, Fibre, Muesli and Nuts

>Yes and I know my numbers are higher when I eat that many carbs at one meal.
>However, I do okay with beans. I also eat pinto beans every week or two.
>I've never tested higher than 130's at one and even at two hours sometimes.
>Seems like the spike comes a little later when I eat beans. Anyway, I leave
>off the corn bread so I'm pretty proud of myself for that. I stick to one
>serving and as Julie said, the soup is the meal.
>
>You make a good point about carbs at lunch. I almost always wait until the
>evening to have beans just because I'm caring for an elderly parent and a
>favorite is beans and cornbread or this soup and cornbread.
>
>Best, Barbara H T2 - exercise & diet & metformin 1500 - latest A1c 5.7

Thanks Barbara.