Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Navy bean soup tomorrow

Haven't made this myself in about 100 years but very good food.

I've got a pound of dried beans soaking right now.
Tomorrow, I'll drain and cook them.

Too much for my crockpot so I'll use an 8qt pot and I'll
just have to keep an eye on it and stir often as it cooks
down.

In the past it was always made with a leftover ham bone.
First time ever for me, I'll use a ham hock. I've never
used one of those kids before.
Cook, remove bone and skin and add meat back in. I guess.

Anyway that will be started at dawn tomorrow and should be
ready for lunch (and beyond).

Today, I'll have to look at various recipes for ideas.
So far, I've seen to add onion, carrots and bay leaves.

Any other suggestions are welcome today before I start it
in the morning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2020 11:50:23 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Haven't made this myself in about 100 years but very good food.
>
>I've got a pound of dried beans soaking right now.
>Tomorrow, I'll drain and cook them.
>
>Too much for my crockpot so I'll use an 8qt pot and I'll
>just have to keep an eye on it and stir often as it cooks
>down.
>
>In the past it was always made with a leftover ham bone.
>First time ever for me, I'll use a ham hock. I've never
>used one of those kids before.
>Cook, remove bone and skin and add meat back in. I guess.
>
>Anyway that will be started at dawn tomorrow and should be
>ready for lunch (and beyond).
>
>Today, I'll have to look at various recipes for ideas.
>So far, I've seen to add onion, carrots and bay leaves.
>
>Any other suggestions are welcome today before I start it
>in the morning.

Celery. There isn't much meat on ham hocks, after they've given their
flavor to the beans I'd pick out the bits of meat and simply eat it.
if you want meat in your beans it makes more sense to dice a ham steak
and add that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> Celery.

There ya go. Celery sounds good. If I get to the grocery store
in the morning, I'll get some.

> There isn't much meat on ham hocks, after they've given their
> flavor to the beans I'd pick out the bits of meat and simply eat it.
> if you want meat in your beans it makes more sense to dice a ham steak
> and add that.

I don't care about meat in the soup, just the flavor. I'll just
add that bit back in.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2020 5:20 PM, Gary wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>> Celery.

> There ya go. Celery sounds good. If I get to the grocery store
> in the morning, I'll get some.

Yes. I always use celery in mine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote in :

> Haven't made this myself in about 100 years but very good food.
>
> I've got a pound of dried beans soaking right now.
> Tomorrow, I'll drain and cook them.
>
> Too much for my crockpot so I'll use an 8qt pot and I'll
> just have to keep an eye on it and stir often as it cooks
> down.
>
> In the past it was always made with a leftover ham bone.
> First time ever for me, I'll use a ham hock. I've never
> used one of those kids before.
> Cook, remove bone and skin and add meat back in. I guess.
>
> Anyway that will be started at dawn tomorrow and should be
> ready for lunch (and beyond).
>
> Today, I'll have to look at various recipes for ideas.
> So far, I've seen to add onion, carrots and bay leaves.
>
> Any other suggestions are welcome today before I start it
> in the morning.

FWIW, I usually make it in the crockpot and cook it with a diced onion,
2 chicken bullion cubes and two or three heaping tablespoons of minced
garlic. I add some salt when I eat it. Also, I usually use great
northern or lima beans. I don't remember trying it with navy beans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 8:52:21 AM UTC-7, Gary wrote:
> Haven't made this myself in about 100 years but very good food.
>
> I've got a pound of dried beans soaking right now.
> Tomorrow, I'll drain and cook them.
>
> Too much for my crockpot so I'll use an 8qt pot and I'll
> just have to keep an eye on it and stir often as it cooks
> down.
>
> In the past it was always made with a leftover ham bone.
> First time ever for me, I'll use a ham hock. I've never
> used one of those kids before.
> Cook, remove bone and skin and add meat back in. I guess.

the recipe I used in the restaurant won rave reviews. check it out

https://www.hizzoners.com/index.php/...navy-bean-soup

> Anyway that will be started at dawn tomorrow and should be
> ready for lunch (and beyond).
>
> Today, I'll have to look at various recipes for ideas.
> So far, I've seen to add onion, carrots and bay leaves.
>
> Any other suggestions are welcome today before I start it
> in the morning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2020 11:50:23 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Haven't made this myself in about 100 years but very good food.
>
>I've got a pound of dried beans soaking right now.
>Tomorrow, I'll drain and cook them.
>
>Too much for my crockpot so I'll use an 8qt pot and I'll
>just have to keep an eye on it and stir often as it cooks
>down.
>
>In the past it was always made with a leftover ham bone.
>First time ever for me, I'll use a ham hock. I've never
>used one of those kids before.
>Cook, remove bone and skin and add meat back in. I guess.
>
>Anyway that will be started at dawn tomorrow and should be
>ready for lunch (and beyond).
>
>Today, I'll have to look at various recipes for ideas.
>So far, I've seen to add onion, carrots and bay leaves.
>
>Any other suggestions are welcome today before I start it
>in the morning.

onion, celery, carrot, bay leaf, garlic if you like, salt and
pepper.Since you are working with a ham hock you may need to beef up
the flavor with a little chicken concentrate(bullion)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2020 ImStillMags wrote:
>On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 Gary wrote:
>>
>> Haven't made this myself in about 100 years but very good food.
>>
>> I've got a pound of dried beans soaking right now.
>> Tomorrow, I'll drain and cook them.
>>
>> Too much for my crockpot so I'll use an 8qt pot and I'll
>> just have to keep an eye on it and stir often as it cooks
>> down.
>>
>> In the past it was always made with a leftover ham bone.
>> First time ever for me, I'll use a ham hock. I've never
>> used one of those kids before.
>> Cook, remove bone and skin and add meat back in. I guess.

>the recipe I used in the restaurant won rave reviews. check it out
>
>https://www.hizzoners.com/index.php/...navy-bean-soup

Any bean dish with potatoes is redundant... like pasta fazzuli. I'd
not add tomatoes to navy nean soup either... the color added is all
wrong... pink navy bean soup is very faggoty. Hizzoners eatery must be
in totally *** Frisco... are you a Lezzie... just asking... if you is
I'd enjoy seeing you in action, I'd want to take a turn

>> Anyway that will be started at dawn tomorrow and should be
>> ready for lunch (and beyond).
>>
>> Today, I'll have to look at various recipes for ideas.
>> So far, I've seen to add onion, carrots and bay leaves.
>>
>> Any other suggestions are welcome today before I start it
>> in the morning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2020 11:25:40 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Tue, 19 May 2020 11:50:23 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Haven't made this myself in about 100 years but very good food.
>>
>>I've got a pound of dried beans soaking right now.
>>Tomorrow, I'll drain and cook them.
>>
>>Too much for my crockpot so I'll use an 8qt pot and I'll
>>just have to keep an eye on it and stir often as it cooks
>>down.
>>
>>In the past it was always made with a leftover ham bone.
>>First time ever for me, I'll use a ham hock. I've never
>>used one of those kids before.
>>Cook, remove bone and skin and add meat back in. I guess.
>>
>>Anyway that will be started at dawn tomorrow and should be
>>ready for lunch (and beyond).
>>
>>Today, I'll have to look at various recipes for ideas.
>>So far, I've seen to add onion, carrots and bay leaves.
>>
>>Any other suggestions are welcome today before I start it
>>in the morning.

>onion, celery, carrot, bay leaf, garlic if you like, salt and
>pepper.Since you are working with a ham hock you may need to beef up
>the flavor with a little chicken concentrate(bullion)
>Janet US

Goya has ham boullion, adds excellent smokiness.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 11:52:21 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Haven't made this myself in about 100 years but very good food.
>
> I've got a pound of dried beans soaking right now.
> Tomorrow, I'll drain and cook them.
>
> Too much for my crockpot so I'll use an 8qt pot and I'll
> just have to keep an eye on it and stir often as it cooks
> down.
>
> In the past it was always made with a leftover ham bone.
> First time ever for me, I'll use a ham hock. I've never
> used one of those kids before.
> Cook, remove bone and skin and add meat back in. I guess.
>
> Anyway that will be started at dawn tomorrow and should be
> ready for lunch (and beyond).
>
> Today, I'll have to look at various recipes for ideas.
> So far, I've seen to add onion, carrots and bay leaves.
>
> Any other suggestions are welcome today before I start it
> in the morning.

For basic bean soup, I use a piece of smoked turkey leg or thigh (I find these at Asian stores) for flavoring. As others have said, celery too. Lightly browning all the veggies in oil/butter will improve depth of flavor.

You can go in all sorts of directions.

Add tomatoes and pasta and a bigly dose of oregano or mixed Italian herbs, maybe some acidic white or red wine, and call it Italian Bean Soup.

Add some of your best wurst (just had to say that), some cabbage, and a half bottle of decent dark beer, and call it German.

Add some chopped charred poblanos, corn, and cheese of your choice, maybe some salsa, and call it Mexican.

Add some cat turds from the litter box and a cup of Crystal Palace and call it Shelbean Soup.

Just some ideas. Enjoy, whatever you make!

--
Silvar Beitel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 2:44:43 PM UTC-5, Silvar Beitel wrote:

> For basic bean soup, I use a piece of smoked turkey leg or thigh (I find these at Asian stores) for flavoring.

Smoked turkey legs are available year-round here. Usually two per package.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2020 14:59:08 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Tue, 19 May 2020 11:25:40 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 19 May 2020 11:50:23 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>>
>>>Haven't made this myself in about 100 years but very good food.
>>>
>>>I've got a pound of dried beans soaking right now.
>>>Tomorrow, I'll drain and cook them.
>>>
>>>Too much for my crockpot so I'll use an 8qt pot and I'll
>>>just have to keep an eye on it and stir often as it cooks
>>>down.
>>>
>>>In the past it was always made with a leftover ham bone.
>>>First time ever for me, I'll use a ham hock. I've never
>>>used one of those kids before.
>>>Cook, remove bone and skin and add meat back in. I guess.
>>>
>>>Anyway that will be started at dawn tomorrow and should be
>>>ready for lunch (and beyond).
>>>
>>>Today, I'll have to look at various recipes for ideas.
>>>So far, I've seen to add onion, carrots and bay leaves.
>>>
>>>Any other suggestions are welcome today before I start it
>>>in the morning.

>>onion, celery, carrot, bay leaf, garlic if you like, salt and
>>pepper.Since you are working with a ham hock you may need to beef up
>>the flavor with a little chicken concentrate(bullion)
>>Janet US

>Goya has ham boullion, adds excellent smokiness.

yes, there are various kinds of ham base out there. I use a chef's
preparation from Classic Gourmet. I would rather use
a big ham bone but in a pinch ham base is a blessing.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> onion, celery, carrot, bay leaf, garlic if you like, salt and
> pepper.

Well, I got it started this morning at 9am.
- 16oz bag of dry navy beans, soaked overnight
then drained and rinsed.
- added 8 cups water
- one smoked ham hock (approx. 8oz weight)
- one large carrot chopped
- one large onion chopped
- little bit of S&P
- 2 bay leaves

Skipped the celery this time as no grocery trip until tomorrow.
I will use that next time though as celery is good for most
soups, stews and even stuffing.

I mentioned that I'd use an 8-quart pot. That was overkill
so I switched to a 5-quart pot. Pretty full with a good
2 inches left - perfect size.

I do thank you and all others that gave me ideas.
This one is pretty basic but I will maybe get more
creative with the next batch. I'll just wait and
see how this turns out.

> Since you are working with a ham hock you may need to beef up
> the flavor with a little chicken concentrate(bullion)

Are you saying that one ham hock might not be enough flavor?
Well, I'll find out for myself in a few hours. I do have
an unopened jar of powdered chicken bullion to use if
needed. That I can add at the very end.

Also...funny how you worded that:

If the *HAM* flavor is not strong enough,
I may need to *BEEF* up the flavor
with a little *CHICKEN* bullion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar Beitel wrote:

> Add some cat turds from the litter box
> and a cup of Crystal Palace and call it Shelbean Soup.
>
> Just some ideas. Enjoy, whatever you make!

LOL! You win the "funniest post of the morning" award.

Again... thanks to all that posted recipe ideas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 May 2020 10:57:57 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote:
>>
>> onion, celery, carrot, bay leaf, garlic if you like, salt and
>> pepper.

>Well, I got it started this morning at 9am.
> - 16oz bag of dry navy beans, soaked overnight
> then drained and rinsed.
> - added 8 cups water
> - one smoked ham hock (approx. 8oz weight)
> - one large carrot chopped
> - one large onion chopped
> - little bit of S&P
> - 2 bay leaves
>
>Skipped the celery this time as no grocery trip until tomorrow.
>I will use that next time though as celery is good for most
>soups, stews and even stuffing.
>
>I mentioned that I'd use an 8-quart pot. That was overkill
>so I switched to a 5-quart pot. Pretty full with a good
>2 inches left - perfect size.
>
>I do thank you and all others that gave me ideas.
>This one is pretty basic but I will maybe get more
>creative with the next batch. I'll just wait and
>see how this turns out.
>
>> Since you are working with a ham hock you may need to beef up
>> the flavor with a little chicken concentrate(bullion)

>Are you saying that one ham hock might not be enough flavor?
>Well, I'll find out for myself in a few hours. I do have
>an unopened jar of powdered chicken bullion to use if
>needed. That I can add at the very end.
>

>Also...funny how you worded that:
>
>If the *HAM* flavor is not strong enough,
>I may need to *BEEF* up the flavor
>with a little *CHICKEN* bullion.

In my experience, ham hock doesn't have the oomph that ham bone does.
You will be able to decide when you sample your soup.
LOL, I didn't notice ham,beef, chicken.
At university, the chef would use a sausage of choice to go into the
legume soup..
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Navy bean soup review

U.S. Janet wrote:
> >> Since you are working with a ham hock you may need to beef up
> >> the flavor with a little chicken concentrate(bullion)

> In my experience, ham hock doesn't have the oomph that ham bone does.

Ok, the soup turned out delicious but I had to make a few
changes.

Ham hock: One ham hock was plenty of ham flavor but it was
a bit odd ham flavor. Hard to describe other than it wasn't
as tasty as using a ham bone with some meat.

For this reason, I used your suggestion and added one tall
teaspoon of powdered chicken bullion. That was a good idea.
Now it has a flavor of pork and chicken which is a
good combination of flavors. I can taste both equally.

Anyway, by time the beans had turned soft, the ham hock had
completely fallen apart. I fished out skin with fat and very
little meat and also about 12 small bones. I added back in
what meat there was along with a little fat. Very little to
add back in.

Not only that, when eating the first bowl, I found 3 very tiny
bone fragments still. The rest of this will no doubt still be
full of bone bits. Chew carefully, Gary.

Finally, near end of cooking, I added in the chicken bullion,
and a handfull of spiral egg noodles (just for the hell of
it but turned out to be a good thing) and 2 more cups of water.

I still have another ham hock in the freezer. I'll use it
but I won't ever buy them again. Also - for the other ham
hock, I might wrap it in a single layer of cheesecloth or
maybe even cut up a mesh onion bag to contain it.

Before I freeze this batch, I'll cut and microwave a few
more carrots to add in. They are good and I only used one
for this batch. Several more might be a good thing.

That's all. Cook and learn.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2020 09:44:18 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Gary wrote:
>> > - 16oz bag of dry navy beans, soaked overnight
>> > then drained and rinsed.
>> > - added 8 cups water
>> > - one smoked ham hock (approx. 8oz weight)
>> > - one large carrot chopped
>> > - one large onion chopped
>> > - little bit of S&P
>> > - 2 bay leaves

>> >I mentioned that I'd use an 8-quart pot. That was overkill
>> >so I switched to a 5-quart pot. Pretty full with a good
>> >2 inches left - perfect size.

>> In my experience, ham hock doesn't have the oomph that ham bone does.

>Ok, the soup turned out delicious but I had to make a few
>changes.
>
>Ham hock: One ham hock was plenty of ham flavor but it was
>a bit odd ham flavor. Hard to describe other than it wasn't
>as tasty as using a ham bone with some meat.
>
>For this reason, I used your suggestion and added one tall
>teaspoon of powdered chicken bullion. That was a good idea.
>Now it has a flavor of pork and chicken which is a
>good combination of flavors. I can taste both equally.
>
>Anyway, by time the beans had turned soft, the ham hock had
>completely fallen apart. I fished out skin with fat and very
>little meat and also about 12 small bones. I added back in
>what meat there was along with a little fat. Very little to
>add back in.
>
>Not only that, when eating the first bowl, I found 3 very tiny
>bone fragments still. The rest of this will no doubt still be
>full of bone bits. Chew carefully, Gary.
>
>Finally, near end of cooking, I added in the chicken bullion,
>and a handfull of spiral egg noodles (just for the hell of
>it but turned out to be a good thing) and 2 more cups of water.
>
>I still have another ham hock in the freezer. I'll use it
>but I won't ever buy them again. Also - for the other ham
>hock, I might wrap it in a single layer of cheesecloth or
>maybe even cut up a mesh onion bag to contain it.
>
>Before I freeze this batch, I'll cut and microwave a few
>more carrots to add in. They are good and I only used one
>for this batch. Several more might be a good thing.
>
>That's all. Cook and learn.

If I don't have a ham bone in the freezer I usually add 2-3 ham hocks
to an 8 qt pot of bean soup (I like lima bean soup), but I pull the
hocks out before they fall apart... and only use a low simmer, no
boiling. Next time dice in three large carrots and six ribs of sliced
celery... you may consider adding 2-3 cloves of minced garlic. I
usually add some dillweed to bean soup. If you boil bean soup the
bean skins will split, fall off, and toughen like toe nails. If you
pull the hocks out before they disintergrate and let them cool some it
will be easy to pull off the meat... they've already given their all
to the soup. Very often small individual ham steaks are on sale for
99¢, diced they are perfect for bean soups.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 8:46:12 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> Ok, the soup turned out delicious but I had to make a few
> changes.
>
> Ham hock: One ham hock was plenty of ham flavor but it was
> a bit odd ham flavor. Hard to describe other than it wasn't
> as tasty as using a ham bone with some meat.

I'm going to guess it was a smoked ham hock and maybe you don't care for the
smoke flavor. No problem, just don't add it to your next pot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Gary wrote:
>
> > Ham hock: One ham hock was plenty of ham flavor but it was
> > a bit odd ham flavor. Hard to describe other than it wasn't
> > as tasty as using a ham bone with some meat.

> Ham hocks are smoked again with a stronger flavor that doesn't work
> well. I've learned not to use ANY rinds of ham (or hocks)in my
> beans.

Yeah, must have been the smoked part. I bought a pack of 2
and it did say "smoked." I'll go ahead and use the other
one someday but won't buy them again. At least using the
chicken bullion will fix it up.

Even KenK's chicken bullion flavor and lots of garlic
is better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 08:11:50 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>>
>> > Ham hock: One ham hock was plenty of ham flavor but it was
>> > a bit odd ham flavor. Hard to describe other than it wasn't
>> > as tasty as using a ham bone with some meat.

>> Ham hocks are smoked again with a stronger flavor that doesn't work
>> well. I've learned not to use ANY rinds of ham (or hocks)in my
>> beans.

>Yeah, must have been the smoked part. I bought a pack of 2
>and it did say "smoked." I'll go ahead and use the other
>one someday but won't buy them again. At least using the
>chicken bullion will fix it up.
>
>Even KenK's chicken bullion flavor and lots of garlic
>is better.

The ham hocks taste weird to me. The ones from the olden days didn't
but the new ones are bad. It's like they've been dipped in something.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 07:38:31 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sun, 24 May 2020 08:11:50 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Ham hocks are smoked again with a stronger flavor that doesn't work
>>> well. I've learned not to use ANY rinds of ham (or hocks)in my
>>> beans.

>>Yeah, must have been the smoked part. I bought a pack of 2
>>and it did say "smoked." I'll go ahead and use the other
>>one someday but won't buy them again. At least using the
>>chicken bullion will fix it up.
>>
>>Even KenK's chicken bullion flavor and lots of garlic
>>is better.

>The ham hocks taste weird to me. The ones from the olden days didn't
>but the new ones are bad. It's like they've been dipped in something.
>Janet US

Very likely marinated in artificial smoke flavoring... you need to be
careful about where you buy smoked meats. There's a place in town
here that butchers deer during hunting season, they get to keep half
your deer... and also smokes meats, I buy my ham hocks there and they
are excellent.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> The ham hocks taste weird to me. The ones from the olden days didn't
> but the new ones are bad. It's like they've been dipped in something.

As was suggested, maybe it was the smoked part.
Regardless, I'll use my remaining one but I'll never buy another.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> There's a place in town
> here that butchers deer during hunting season, they get to keep half
> your deer...

That sounds like a rip. I've read about butchers that will do
your deer and make all the proper cuts and even package and
label them for just a hind quarter to keep for themselves.

Yoose should just butcher your own kills, Sheldar.
You could easily find a youtube instruction video.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 24 May 2020 13:20:12 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
> > "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
> >
> >> The ham hocks taste weird to me. The ones from the olden days didn't
> >> but the new ones are bad. It's like they've been dipped in something.

> > As was suggested, maybe it was the smoked part.
> > Regardless, I'll use my remaining one but I'll never buy another.

> Use it to cook some "greens", like a 5-pound of them. And some
> shitlins to go with it. A 10-lb pail comes out to be about 1.5 lbs
> in the end and leaves the apartment smelling like shit. That's why
> you cook ham hocks and greens at the same time - to mask the smell.

Back when I was in my late 20's I worked with a good friend
about age 60. He grew up in Hatteras and often ate chitlins.
Loved them but his wife refused to cook them due to the smell.

Luckily for him, he had an aunt that lived only a block away
and she would cook them occasionally and always invite him over.

Very old school and even old slave food. Probably good but
I've never had them. I would definitely give it a try if
someone else made them properly.

Basically hog colon, rinse out the poop then cook. lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 24 May 2020 15:22:24 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
> > Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >>
> >> There's a place in town
> >> here that butchers deer during hunting season, they get to keep half
> >> your deer...

> > That sounds like a rip. I've read about butchers that will do
> > your deer and make all the proper cuts and even package and
> > label them for just a hind quarter to keep for themselves.
> >
> > Yoose should just butcher your own kills, Sheldar.
> > You could easily find a youtube instruction video.

> Shelly would rather go out and shoot people than deer.
>
> Half is bullshit. They can't sell wild game retail.

A butcher processing a deer for you would keep the part
for himself to eat, not for resale. It's more of a side
job after work just to get some meat for himself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 3:24:19 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >
> > There's a place in town
> > here that butchers deer during hunting season, they get to keep half
> > your deer...

> That sounds like a rip. I've read about butchers that will do
> your deer and make all the proper cuts and even package and
> label them for just a hind quarter to keep for themselves.

Perhaps. There's so much deer processing going on in Michigan that
the butcher would end up with more ven than he could eat in a lifetime.

We paid about $80 to process the last deer my husband got.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 May 2020 03:05:03 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 3:24:19 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> >
>> > There's a place in town
>> > here that butchers deer during hunting season, they get to keep half
>> > your deer...

>> That sounds like a rip. I've read about butchers that will do
>> your deer and make all the proper cuts and even package and
>> label them for just a hind quarter to keep for themselves.

>Perhaps. There's so much deer processing going on in Michigan that
>the butcher would end up with more ven than he could eat in a lifetime.
>
>We paid about $80 to process the last deer my husband got.

That's cheap. Barbarians like him should be in jail.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 May 2020 03:05:03 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 3:24:19 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> >
>> > There's a place in town
>> > here that butchers deer during hunting season, they get to keep half
>> > your deer...

>> That sounds like a rip. I've read about butchers that will do
>> your deer and make all the proper cuts and even package and
>> label them for just a hind quarter to keep for themselves.

>Perhaps. There's so much deer processing going on in Michigan that
>the butcher would end up with more ven than he could eat in a lifetime.
>
>We paid about $80 to process the last deer my husband got.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

The place in town is larger than what one expects at the end of a
short dirt road and they process a lot deer at hunting time, they also
do a lot of meat smoking, and make sausage too. I'm sure they sell
more than they use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 9:49:31 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 25 May 2020 03:05:03 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> That sounds like a rip. I've read about butchers that will do
> >> your deer and make all the proper cuts and even package and
> >> label them for just a hind quarter to keep for themselves.

> >Perhaps. There's so much deer processing going on in Michigan that
> >the butcher would end up with more ven than he could eat in a lifetime.
> >
> >We paid about $80 to process the last deer my husband got.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> The place in town is larger than what one expects at the end of a
> short dirt road and they process a lot deer at hunting time, they also
> do a lot of meat smoking, and make sausage too. I'm sure they sell
> more than they use.

<https://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/2013/11/why_venison_isnt_found_in_more.html>

State law prohibits unlicensed sale of wild game. Officials say only about a dozen or so standalone meat processors in Michigan are licensed to resell venison, although the total number of establishments licensed to process wild game is much higher.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-25 10:04 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 9:49:31 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 May 2020 03:05:03 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> Perhaps. There's so much deer processing going on in Michigan that
>>> the butcher would end up with more ven than he could eat in a lifetime.
>>>
>>> We paid about $80 to process the last deer my husband got.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> The place in town is larger than what one expects at the end of a
>> short dirt road and they process a lot deer at hunting time, they also
>> do a lot of meat smoking, and make sausage too. I'm sure they sell
>> more than they use.

> <https://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/2013/11/why_venison_isnt_found_in_more.html>
>
> State law prohibits unlicensed sale of wild game. Officials say only about a dozen or so standalone meat processors in Michigan are licensed to resell venison, although the total number of establishments licensed to process wild game is much higher.

The Dutch butcher I used to go to used to butcher deer carcasses for
successful hunter. He also processed a lot of the meat into sausage and
pepperoni for them. He did not sell any... that I know of.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 24 May 2020 17:46:59 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> >> Shelly would rather go out and shoot people than deer.
> >>
> >> Half is bullshit. They can't sell wild game retail.

> > A butcher processing a deer for you would keep the part
> > for himself to eat, not for resale. It's more of a side
> > job after work just to get some meat for himself.

> And if you process 50 deer a year at your butchery, then you have 25
> deer just for yourself. Unless you own a Big Cat Rescue, that's too
> much deer.

If I killed a deer, I'd just butcher it myself. I'd probably
get many of the cuts wrong but who cares? It's all food.

I've seen where some BBQ restaurants will cook a whole pig
then chop it all up and mix for their sandwiches. I'll bet
that's good stuff. And don't forget the coleslaw on top.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2020 9:52 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 24 May 2020 17:46:59 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Shelly would rather go out and shoot people than deer.
>>>
>>> Half is bullshit. They can't sell wild game retail.

>> A butcher processing a deer for you would keep the part
>> for himself to eat, not for resale. It's more of a side
>> job after work just to get some meat for himself.

> And if you process 50 deer a year at your butchery, then you have 25
> deer just for yourself. Unless you own a Big Cat Rescue, that's too
> much deer.
>
> -sw

Christmas gifts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 1:14:34 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:

> > > A butcher processing a deer for you would keep the part
> > > for himself to eat, not for resale. It's more of a side
> > > job after work just to get some meat for himself.

> > And if you process 50 deer a year at your butchery, then you have 25
> > deer just for yourself. Unless you own a Big Cat Rescue, that's too
> > much deer.

> If I killed a deer, I'd just butcher it myself. I'd probably
> get many of the cuts wrong but who cares? It's all food.

My husband did that with his first deer. It was a ton of work
and he thought it was well worth the $80 to have it done for
him.

> I've seen where some BBQ restaurants will cook a whole pig
> then chop it all up and mix for their sandwiches. I'll bet
> that's good stuff. And don't forget the coleslaw on top.

But they typically don't kill and butcher the pig themselves.
They get it dressed out and de-haired from their butcher. That's
what we've done every time we've roasted a whole pig.

A pig is much easier to cut up after it's cooked than before.
The connective tissue is converted to gelatin.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> A pig is much easier to cut up after it's cooked than before.

So is a carrot which I did the other day to add more to my
bean soup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent wrote:

> On 5/25/2020 9:52 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

> > > A butcher processing a deer for you would keep the part
> > > for himself to eat, not for resale. It's more of a side
> > > job after work just to get some meat for himself.

> > And if you process 50 deer a year at your butchery, then you have 25
> > deer just for yourself. Unless you own a Big Cat Rescue, that's too
> > much deer.
> >
> > -sw
> >

> Christmas gifts.

LOL, was dog food too here for many years. Friends would save a hunk
too long and it would freezerburn. We ground it for the dogs. Short
of a 10,000 yo frozen mammoth level, they don't taste freezerburn (or
don't mind it).

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Gary wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:

> > > A butcher processing a deer for you would keep the part
> > > for himself to eat, not for resale. It's more of a side
> > > job after work just to get some meat for himself.

> > And if you process 50 deer a year at your butchery, then you have 25
> > deer just for yourself. Unless you own a Big Cat Rescue, that's too
> > much deer.

> If I killed a deer, I'd just butcher it myself. I'd probably
> get many of the cuts wrong but who cares? It's all food.
>
> I've seen where some BBQ restaurants will cook a whole pig
> then chop it all up and mix for their sandwiches. I'll bet
> that's good stuff. And don't forget the coleslaw on top.

Here's a local place by where I grew up, Reason's Locker in Buffalo Prairie IL...they have deer, elk and all kinds of stuff, Such places are common in rural areas, we often bought our meat here; there is an instruction sheet for bringing your deers in for processing:

http://www.reasonsprairiepride.com/

Reason's Locker has been a family-owned business for over 70 years. We offer custom processing of beef, pork, buffalo, sheep, and also deer. Customers travel many miles for our summer sausage and other smoked products.

Our retail business includes beef, buffalo, pork, seafood, and exotic game. We also have Reason's Prairie Creek Market & Deli in Buffalo Praire. Our deli offers fresh, made-to-order sub sandwiches, soup of the day, salads, pie, cookies, etc., along with a large meat case filled with items made at the locker.

Catering is another service we provide. We can deliver to large or small parties, or have food prepared to be picked up by the customer.

http://www.reasonsprairiepride.com/processinginfo.html

How do I arrange to bring an animal in for processing?

Step 1: Call the locker. Schedule a date to bring your animal (s) in.

Step 2: Animals need to be delivered by 7:15 on the day they are scheduled to be slaughtered. Arrangements can be made ahead of time to bring certain animals the evening before being slaughtered.

Step 3: Unload the animal (s) at chute, and place in pen. There will be note cards for the customer to write name, type and number of animals, and which pen animal is located in. Please include phone number.

Step 4: Call or stop in the next day to give us instruction on how animal is to be split.
(example: who gets 1/2 beef, or 1/2 of 1/2 etc, or hogs)

Please Note: Beef hang 2 weeks before being cut and wrapped, but hogs are processed within 2 days. Beef cutting instructions should be given within 7 days of the slaughter date, and hog instructions should be given either prior to slaughter, or by the day of slaughter..."

</>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 7:14:34 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:

> > > A butcher processing a deer for you would keep the part
> > > for himself to eat, not for resale. It's more of a side
> > > job after work just to get some meat for himself.

> > And if you process 50 deer a year at your butchery, then you have 25
> > deer just for yourself. Unless you own a Big Cat Rescue, that's too
> > much deer.

> If I killed a deer, I'd just butcher it myself. I'd probably
> get many of the cuts wrong but who cares? It's all food.
>
> I've seen where some BBQ restaurants will cook a whole pig
> then chop it all up and mix for their sandwiches. I'll bet
> that's good stuff. And don't forget the coleslaw on top.

We went to a wedding that had a whole roasted pig. It was okay but a pig is better when cooked the Hawaiian way - underground. When a pig is cooked in an imu, it's steamed and smoked with banana leaves. A whole roasted pig is pretty "festive" but it was kind of dry and lacked flavor.

The wedding was for the daughter of my wife's late friend. As she was walking down the aisle with her dad, she saw my wife and memories of her mom came flooding back to her and she burst into tears. That was quite a scene. The bride married a Brit. Most of the people there were from the UK. They flew in on the day a major hurricane was supposed to hit this rock. Near as I can figure, the Brits will fly to the other side of the world to celebrate a mate's wedding - never mind a little wind and rain. That's real class and more than a little audacity.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...wVNYQ_79ebnKHb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-25 8:04 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 9:49:31 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 May 2020 03:05:03 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> Perhaps. There's so much deer processing going on in Michigan that
>>> the butcher would end up with more ven than he could eat in a lifetime.
>>>
>>> We paid about $80 to process the last deer my husband got.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> The place in town is larger than what one expects at the end of a
>> short dirt road and they process a lot deer at hunting time, they also
>> do a lot of meat smoking, and make sausage too. I'm sure they sell
>> more than they use.

> <https://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/2013/11/why_venison_isnt_found_in_more.html>
>
> State law prohibits unlicensed sale of wild game. Officials say only about a dozen or so standalone meat processors in Michigan are licensed to resell venison, although the total number of establishments licensed to process wild game is much higher.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Do you have much CWD in the deer population? The spread of it has been
quite alarming.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 May 2020 13:36:25 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> A pig is much easier to cut up after it's cooked than before.

>So is a carrot which I did the other day to add more to my
>bean soup.

Your very first bean soup, a tiny six quart pot. You never butchered
any meat, you never cleaned a small fish... I doubt you ever opened a
clam or ever ate a clam on the half shell.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 2:02:08 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 7:14:34 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> > > And if you process 50 deer a year at your butchery, then you have 25
> > > deer just for yourself. Unless you own a Big Cat Rescue, that's too
> > > much deer.

> > If I killed a deer, I'd just butcher it myself. I'd probably
> > get many of the cuts wrong but who cares? It's all food.
> >
> > I've seen where some BBQ restaurants will cook a whole pig
> > then chop it all up and mix for their sandwiches. I'll bet
> > that's good stuff. And don't forget the coleslaw on top.

> We went to a wedding that had a whole roasted pig. It was okay but a pig is better when cooked the Hawaiian way - underground. When a pig is cooked in an imu, it's steamed and smoked with banana leaves. A whole roasted pig is pretty "festive" but it was kind of dry and lacked flavor.

It all depends what you like. I love the cracklins' and I wouldn't trade
them for any amount of moist, steamed meat.

We stuff our whole roast pigs with bread dressing like a Thanksgiving
turkey.

Cindy Hamilton