sf

Default How to boil water

I didn't watch the show today, but found a recipe on FoodTV
for Roasted Pears with Blue Cheese and Walnuts.

Q: It's savory, so was it served as a side dish or dessert?

Another Q: When do you take out the seeds? The recipe
doesn't say. I'm assuming it's after you take the pears out
of the oven and before spooning the cheese in the center of
each pear.

sf
Bob (this one)

sf wrote:

> I didn't watch the show today, but found a recipe on FoodTV for
> Roasted Pears with Blue Cheese and Walnuts.
>
> Q: It's savory, so was it served as a side dish or dessert?
>
> Another Q: When do you take out the seeds? The recipe doesn't
> say. I'm assuming it's after you take the pears out of the oven
> and before spooning the cheese in the center of each pear.

Here's an exchange that took place on a list on 11/14/04. There was a
little discussion about the recipe from TV and I posted part of a
column I wrote a while back.

Pastorio

<<< begin quote >>>>>>>>
You wrote:

> Did anyone see Tyler Florence the other day? He roasted pears by
> drizzling them with olive oil, sprinkling them with thyme until
> tender (don't remember the timing) then he filled the cavaity with
> roquefort and popped them back in the oven till the cheese was
> melted a bit. It looked very nice. Anyone ever done pears in this
> fashion? I thought I might try it.

Not roasted. Poached in wine. Like this:

PEARS POACHED IN WINE - Let's look at doing them differently in red
and white wine.
6 pears, peeled but with stems still attached
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, grated
1 cup red wine
Heat oven to 350. Place stem side up in a baking dish just large
enough to hold pears upright. Combine the honey and ginger and drizzle
over pears. Pour wine into dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake
for 45 minutes or until pears are soft. Baste every ten minutes with
the pan juices. Remove foil and let pears cool in the pan. Serve with
pan juices spooned over.

Now with white wine and a few other ingredients. And a different
technique. We're going to partially core the pear from the stem end.
We want to remove most of the core but we want to be able to stuff
the pear and not have it leak out the bottom. I push an apple corer
most of the way through and pull it back out. I cut out the core with
a paring knife but leave the bottom solid.
6 pears, peeled and partially cored.
3 tablespoons blue cheese
3 tablespoons pine nuts
2 cups white wine
2 ounces creme de menthe or peppermint schnapps
Heat oven to 350. Put the pears in a baking dish big enough to hold
them and deep enough to cover tightly. Divide the cheese among the
pears, putting it into the empty core. Divide the pine nuts among the
pears and pour into core. Pour wine and liqueur into dish, cover and
bake as above. Spoon juices over pears for service.

And now, for something(s) completely different...

I really like pears. These recipes are from a couple columns I wrote
back in the last century.

PEAR, ORANGE AND LEMON JAM
The citrus peels add a special sharp richness. The pears should
be just on the verge of being ripe. Different varieties of pears will
give very different results.
This makes about five 12-ounce jars.
2 1/2 pounds unripe pears, peeled and cored
1 orange, cut into quarters and seeded
1 lemon, cut into quarters and seeded
3/4 cup drained crushed pineapple
5 1/2 cups sugar
Put pears, orange and lemon sections in food processor until coarsely
chopped. Put in non-aluminum saucepan and add pineapple and sugar.
Bring to boil and reduce heat. Cook about 20 minutes, stirring
occasionally. Pour into hot sterilized jars. Put on lid and tighten
to make a seal and turn upside down for 5 minutes. Turn upright and cool.
PICKLED PEARS
Pears done this way will gradually change color over a few days in
storage jars to a wonderfully rich reddish-brown tone. Serve them as
a side dish with poultry or pork, as a relish on any holiday table or,
surprisingly, chopped over ice cream.
3 cups sugar
2 cups cider vinegar
2 thin slices of lemon
1 tablespoon whole cloves
1 tablespoon ground allspice
2 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3 cups water
3 pounds firm pears, peeled, quartered, and cored
In a large non-aluminum saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, lemon
slices, cloves, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and water. Mix and bring
to a boil over high heat. Add the pears. Bring back to a boil,
reduce heat and simmer until the pears are tender but still firm, four
or five minutes. Remove pan from heat, cover and let the pears sit in
the syrup overnight at room temperature. Spoon pears into two, clean,
pint canning jars, reserving the syrup in the pan. Boil the syrup to
200 degrees on a candy thermometer (almost to the thread stage) about
35 minutes. Pour the syrup over the pears. Let cool, cover and
refrigerate until ready to serve. The pears will change color after a
few days in the syrup. They will keep a month or so in the
refrigerator. For larger amounts, process the canning jars in a hot
water bath for 20 minutes. They can then be stored at room temperature.

CHOCOLATE-COATED, WINE-POACHED PEARS
We're going to peel and poach the pears, then glaze them with
chocolate to serve. The whole thing takes less than a half hour.
4 pears
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup granulated sugar
strip of lemon peel
3 whole cloves
1/2 cup water
Sauce ingredients:
2 ounces milk chocolate, chopped or chips
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons creme de menthe liqueur or mint syrup
Peel the pears and take a thin slice off the end opposite the stem so
they'll stand upright. Stand them up in a saucepan. Add wine, sugar,
peel, cloves and water to saucepan, cover and bring to a low simmer.
Poach until the pear halves are tender, about 10 minutes. Test with
the point of a small paring knife: it should penetrate the pear
easily. Lift the pears out of the pan with a slotted spoon and put
into individual bowls or stemmed goblets. Combine chocolate sauce
ingredients in a small saucepan, melt, stirring constantly, or do it
in a microwave. Pour over and serve.
Variations: Instead of water, add creme de menthe to the poaching
liquid. Instead of chocolate sauce, boil the poaching liquid until
it's reduced to about half its original volume, discard peel and
cloves and pour over the pears. To make the sauce differently
interesting, add about 1/4 cup of bleu cheese to the pan after
removing the pears and reducing the liquid. Stir to mix and pour
over. Or, put the pear on a slice of toasted pound cake. Or in a
mound of chocolate mousse. Serve with a crisp cookie.

PEARS IN PUFF PASTRY
This one can be done several hours ahead and is easy, interesting
and memorable. You can make your own pastry from one of the many
recipes available or buy frozen pastry sheets. They're usually packed
two per box and folded up so they can be more inconvenient and
difficult to work with. Cut each sheet into quarters after following
thawing instructions.
2 pears
1 package of frozen puff pastry (or 8 sheets 5 by 5 inches)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
1 pint strawberries
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons whipping cream (optional)
Egg wash ingredients: mix well
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
Heat oven in accordance with puff pastry package instructions. Peel,
halve lengthwise and remove the cores of the pears. Lay two sheets of
pastry side by side and brush egg wash on both, being careful not to
let it run over the edge. Put one pear half on a sheet of pastry cut
side down, sprinkle on one-fourth of the sugar and cover with the
other piece of pastry, egg washed side down. Crimp the edges with a
pastry sealer or a fork. Repeat for the other pear halves and bake
until golden brown and well-risen. Put strawberries, confectioners'
sugar and cream into a blender or processor and run until smooth. To
serve finished pastry, put a few tablespoons of strawberry puree on a
plate, put pastry on top and serve warm or at room temperature.
Variations: Put a small, rolled-out piece of marzipan inside the
pastry with the pear. Or golden raisins. Or some chopped strawberry.
Marinate the pear halves in maple syrup for several hours before
assembling the pastry. Or marinate in Maraschino, strawberry or
raspberry liqueurs. Or mix chopped pear and peaches, plums or
apricots. A dab of good vanilla ice cream alongside. Served on a
pool of pastry cream.

PEAR-ALMOND CUSTARD TART
Easy to do and wonderful to eat. A tart is a pie with no top
crust and is usually baked in a straight-sided pan rather than the
traditional slope-sided pan of most American pies. This makes one
9-inch tart
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
7 tablespoon butter
6 pears, peeled, halved and cored
3 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup fine-ground almonds (or store-bought almond paste)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup heavy cream or sour cream
Heat oven to 375. Quickly combine first 6 ingredients to make crust.
Don't handle more than you have to; it gets tough if it's overmixed.
Roll out and line a 9-inch tart pan with the dough. Arrange the pear
halves attractively cut side down in the shell so that the stem ends
are all facing into the center and bake for about 20 minutes. If the
pears don't all fit that way, chop some and mound them in the center.
Combine the remaining ingredients and pour into the pan and bake
until firm, about 30 more minutes. Serve warm or cool.

Bob (this one)

You wrote:

> [...]

1 teaspoon vanilla extract
7 tablespoon butter
6 pears, peeled, halved and cored
3 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup fine-ground almonds (or store-bought almond paste)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup heavy cream or sour cream
Heat oven to 375. Quickly combine first 6 ingredients to make crust.
Don't handle more than you have to; it gets tough if it's overmixed.
Roll out and line a 9-inch tart pan with the dough. Arrange the pear
halves attractively cut side down in the shell so that the stem ends
are all facing into the center and bake for about 20 minutes. If the
pears don't all fit that way, chop some and mound them in the center.
Combine the remaining ingredients and pour into the pan and bake
until firm, about 30 more minutes. Serve warm or cool.

sf

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:53:57 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> Let me try again ... they seeded them while still RAW. And they
> were halved before seeding.

That's the missing part. I didn't know if they did it
before cooking or after the first 20 minutes. Thanks!

How was it served? It's screaming to be served as the focal
point of a salad.

sf
sf

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:53:57 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> Let me try again ... they seeded them while still RAW. And they
> were halved before seeding.

That's the missing part. I didn't know if they did it
before cooking or after the first 20 minutes. Thanks!

How was it served? It's screaming to be served as the focal
point of a salad.

sf

sf

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:05:18 -0500, "Bob (this one)"
> wrote:

> Here's an exchange that took place on a list on 11/14/04. There was a
> little discussion about the recipe from TV and I posted part of a
> column I wrote a while back.

Sorry, I didn't find the post in my outbox and I'm not
finding it by Google either. What thread was it in?

In any case, you didn't answer my question. How was it
served?

sf
Bob (this one)

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:05:18 -0500, "Bob (this one)"
> > wrote:
>
>> Here's an exchange that took place on a list on 11/14/04. There was a
>> little discussion about the recipe from TV and I posted part of a
>> column I wrote a while back.

> Sorry, I didn't find the post in my outbox and I'm not
> finding it by Google either. What thread was it in?

It was on The FOODWINE list and I simply reposted that message here,
to which you replied.

> In any case, you didn't answer my question. How was it
> served?

I don't know as I didn't see the program. My note was to offer yet
other ways to serve cooked pears.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:05:18 -0500, "Bob (this one)"
> > wrote:
>
>> Here's an exchange that took place on a list on 11/14/04. There was a
>> little discussion about the recipe from TV and I posted part of a
>> column I wrote a while back.

> Sorry, I didn't find the post in my outbox and I'm not
> finding it by Google either. What thread was it in?

It was on The FOODWINE list and I simply reposted that message here,
to which you replied.

> In any case, you didn't answer my question. How was it
> served?

I don't know as I didn't see the program. My note was to offer yet
other ways to serve cooked pears.

Pastorio

sf

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 04:24:05 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
> wrote:

> I am not a blue cheese fan at all, but I was wondering how this would be
> with a nice sharp cheddar or other sharp cheese. (One that I like).

I like blue cheese and pears... and I like blue cheese on
turkey sandwiches, so this sounds great!

Did you know that you can buy very mild blue cheeses? Why
not give Cambezola a try? Hmmm. That would be good! This
is on my to do list for TDay.

My other must do is the Ina Garten Thyme Popovers. I've
made them already with a few minor changes. I used dried
thyme, because I didn't have fresh on hand. Used a blender
instead of doing it by hand (handy for pouring too) and let
the batter rest for an hour. I used regular sized muffin
cups and am thinking smaller ones would be even better. I
heated them dry, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray when I
took them out of the oven and put a little butter in the
bottom. I didn't even bother to melt it because the heat of
the pan did it for me.

It's one of those recipes that are only available for a
limited time, so I'm not sure if I should post it here -
so here's the link:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._29175,00.html

sf
sf

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 04:24:05 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
> wrote:

> I am not a blue cheese fan at all, but I was wondering how this would be
> with a nice sharp cheddar or other sharp cheese. (One that I like).

I like blue cheese and pears... and I like blue cheese on
turkey sandwiches, so this sounds great!

Did you know that you can buy very mild blue cheeses? Why
not give Cambezola a try? Hmmm. That would be good! This
is on my to do list for TDay.

My other must do is the Ina Garten Thyme Popovers. I've
made them already with a few minor changes. I used dried
thyme, because I didn't have fresh on hand. Used a blender
instead of doing it by hand (handy for pouring too) and let
the batter rest for an hour. I used regular sized muffin
cups and am thinking smaller ones would be even better. I
heated them dry, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray when I
took them out of the oven and put a little butter in the
bottom. I didn't even bother to melt it because the heat of
the pan did it for me.

It's one of those recipes that are only available for a
limited time, so I'm not sure if I should post it here -
so here's the link:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._29175,00.html

sf

sf

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 03:35:37 -0500, "Bob (this one)"
> wrote:

> It was on The FOODWINE list and I simply reposted that message here,
> to which you replied.

Are you saying I participate in a foodwine list? By "list",
do you mean something you subscribe to which comes into your
mailbox? I don't do that. If you mean a foodwine usenet
newsgroup, I am not subscribed to anything like that either,
so I'm unclear how I could have posted on one or the other.
Perhaps you were reading someone else who uses sf as a pen
name?

sf
sf

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 03:35:37 -0500, "Bob (this one)"
> wrote:

> It was on The FOODWINE list and I simply reposted that message here,
> to which you replied.

Are you saying I participate in a foodwine list? By "list",
do you mean something you subscribe to which comes into your
mailbox? I don't do that. If you mean a foodwine usenet
newsgroup, I am not subscribed to anything like that either,
so I'm unclear how I could have posted on one or the other.
Perhaps you were reading someone else who uses sf as a pen
name?

sf
Christine Dabney

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:45:34 GMT, sf > wrote:

>My other must do is the Ina Garten Thyme Popovers. I've
>made them already with a few minor changes. I used dried
>thyme, because I didn't have fresh on hand. Used a blender
>instead of doing it by hand (handy for pouring too) and let
>the batter rest for an hour. I used regular sized muffin
>cups and am thinking smaller ones would be even better. I
>heated them dry, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray when I
>took them out of the oven and put a little butter in the
>bottom. I didn't even bother to melt it because the heat of
>the pan did it for me.

The new Williams-Sonoma series has a book called Hors D'Oeuvere. In
that book is a recipe for Tiny Roquefort Popovers. So I think your
idea would work. They say to make them in mini muffin or popover
tins.
I already have the mini muffin tins, and I have been dying to make
this recipe, but need an occasion to do so...

Christine, waving to sf, from San Jose
Christine Dabney

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:45:34 GMT, sf > wrote:

>My other must do is the Ina Garten Thyme Popovers. I've
>made them already with a few minor changes. I used dried
>thyme, because I didn't have fresh on hand. Used a blender
>instead of doing it by hand (handy for pouring too) and let
>the batter rest for an hour. I used regular sized muffin
>cups and am thinking smaller ones would be even better. I
>heated them dry, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray when I
>took them out of the oven and put a little butter in the
>bottom. I didn't even bother to melt it because the heat of
>the pan did it for me.

The new Williams-Sonoma series has a book called Hors D'Oeuvere. In
that book is a recipe for Tiny Roquefort Popovers. So I think your
idea would work. They say to make them in mini muffin or popover
tins.
I already have the mini muffin tins, and I have been dying to make
this recipe, but need an occasion to do so...

Christine, waving to sf, from San Jose
sf

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:22:27 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> Christine, waving to sf, from San Jose

You're HERE!!!! We need to make a date - soon.

<smile>

Let's make popovers! Mine were VERY good and yours sound
very interesting.

sf

Bob (this one)

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 03:35:37 -0500, "Bob (this one)"
> > wrote:
>
>> It was on The FOODWINE list and I simply reposted that message here,
>> to which you replied.

> Are you saying I participate in a foodwine list?

Let me type this slowly. I didn't mention you. I posted a note here
that was from another source; a list *I* subscribe to. I didn't say
*you* posted anything anywhere. It was *to* you, not *about* you.

In the note I posted was the original exchange that looked like this:
"<<< begin quote >>>>>>>>
You wrote:

> Did anyone see Tyler Florence the other day? He roasted pears by ..."

The *you wrote* was part of the message being quoted, not a comment to
you. The fact that it followed the "<<< begin quote >>>>>>>>" should
have been a clue. Here's the whole post: <http://tinyurl.com/5ew8r>

Pastorio

> By "list",
> do you mean something you subscribe to which comes into your
> mailbox? I don't do that. If you mean a foodwine usenet
> newsgroup, I am not subscribed to anything like that either,
> so I'm unclear how I could have posted on one or the other.
> Perhaps you were reading someone else who uses sf as a pen
> name?

Christine Dabney

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 03:16:32 GMT, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:22:27 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:
>
>> Christine, waving to sf, from San Jose

>You're HERE!!!! We need to make a date - soon.
>
><smile>
>
>Let's make popovers! Mine were VERY good and yours sound
>very interesting.

I have been here for a few weeks now...been looking for you in the
chat channel, but you haven't shown up.

I am ready!!!!

Christine, who is busy making turkey broth for gravy, and cranberry
chutney
Hahabogus

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in

> Give a holler if you want the recipe

Holler!

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Hahabogus

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in

> Give a holler if you want the recipe

Holler!

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
sf

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:32:43 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> I have been here for a few weeks now...been looking for you in the
> chat channel, but you haven't shown up.

It seems like every time I pop in NO ONE is there and I'm
talking times like a Saturday afternoon, btw.

:\

sf

sf

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:32:43 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> I have been here for a few weeks now...been looking for you in the
> chat channel, but you haven't shown up.

It seems like every time I pop in NO ONE is there and I'm
talking times like a Saturday afternoon, btw.

:\

sf
sf

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 05:32:08 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi"
> wrote:

> Hey SF, did you happen to catch the recipe for Bleu Cheese Cheesecake that
> my cousin made last year? It was/is amazing. In fact, I plan on making it
> next month. Give a holler if you want the recipe. <shrug, you could also
> Google for it>

I vaguely remember it. What course is it?
How about a recipe redux?

sf
sf

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 05:32:08 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi"
> wrote:

> Hey SF, did you happen to catch the recipe for Bleu Cheese Cheesecake that
> my cousin made last year? It was/is amazing. In fact, I plan on making it
> next month. Give a holler if you want the recipe. <shrug, you could also
> Google for it>

I vaguely remember it. What course is it?
How about a recipe redux?

sf
sf

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:29:07 -0500, "Bob (this one)"
> wrote:

> Here's the whole post: <http://tinyurl.com/5ew8r>

Oh, I see. You didn't answer the question, you posted your
recipes and that's why I drew a blank.

sf
sf

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:29:07 -0500, "Bob (this one)"
> wrote:

> Here's the whole post: <http://tinyurl.com/5ew8r>

Oh, I see. You didn't answer the question, you posted your
recipes and that's why I drew a blank.

sf

How to boil water better??? PLucas1[_2_] General Cooking 18 28-02-2010 11:24 PM
The water's on to boil... (was: Do it at home lobster) PastaLover General Cooking 8 11-12-2005 07:57 AM
So, how *do* you boil water? pennyaline General Cooking 2 21-02-2005 09:55 PM
how to boil water A.C. General Cooking 5 11-06-2004 06:03 AM
How long to boil a gal of water on a High BTU Range Bob Sisson Cooking Equipment 2 31-12-2003 03:45 AM