Posted to rec.food.cooking
PastaLover

Default The water's on to boil... (was: Do it at home lobster)

and the bug's in the fridge just waiting.

I'll post the results later tonight.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
PastaLover

PastaLover wrote:
> and the bug's in the fridge just waiting.
>
> I'll post the results later tonight.

Went to the store today to buy some tuna for a light supper of sashimi.
The tuna didn't look as rich and dark as I like, but it was in the case
right next to the lobster case. So, I opted for the lobster instead. (It
was my second choice anyway...)

The guy at the store didn't seem to know much about them. I "played
dumb" and asked a lot of stupid questions. He didn't tell me anything
wrong, but couldn't answer a few of my questions.

The lobster tank had two 2-pounders with huge claws and I was so tempted
since I like the claw meat so much, but my stock pot just wasn't that
large. So I told the guy to fish me out a smaller one. He picked what
looked to be about the smallest in the tank. Turned out to be very
feisty little bug. He thrashed his tail and waived his claws. I began to
have second thoughts, but by then it was too late. I was committed.

He turned out to be pretty docile and didn't move much when I cut the
rubber bands and pulled him from the little cardboard box I brought him
home in. Just a little leg movement and a very weak tail movement. I
live less than 5 minutes from the grocery store and I'd been home only
about 20 minutes by this time. I simply put the cardboard box in the
fridge while I filled the pot with water and brought it to a boil.

Well, the results are somewhat mixed. Tail is still more chewy than I
like. I guess I overcooked him. I'm surprised the tail meat is so prone
to overcooked--I'd think the greater mass would allow it to cook longer
without getting overdone. Maybe because it's got more "grain"?

He weighed 1.65 pounds by the grocery's digital scale, and I cooked him
for 12 minutes. Recipe I saw said 10-12 for 1 to 1.5 pounders. I went to
the high end of the time range because he was bigger than 1.5, but not
that much more. I wonder if the overcooking comes from the carry-over
heat during the time between hauling him out of the pot and running cold
water over him to stop the cooking. Next time I'll go with the lower end
of the time range and anticipate the carry-over.

I popped him in the boiling water and I swear he must have died
immediately. No fighting or movement at all. Not sure why this makes
people so squeamish. I was surprised how fast the shell begain to turn
color.

After dropping him in the water, I began melting the butter (English
double cream butter--heaven on earth) and it suddenly dawned on me that
I didn't have a claw cracker. Not a problem. I simply pulled the claws
apart with my hands and then laid them down and cracked them with the
back of a heavy chef's knife. The "knuckles" yielded to a twist of the
hands and I used my small finger to push the meat out.

And this bug seemed to have a lot more really good meat in the body.
Last couple of lobsters I've had at restaurants (2 last month in Florida
and 1 here in Scottsdale) seemed to be kinda skimpy on that really sweet
meat that hides in all those little chambers above the legs in the body.

About half way through the 12 minutes, the apartment smelled great! (Can
you judge the "doneness" by the smell?) The only real problem I had was
a bit of a boil over. I misjudged how much water I needed. Oh well, at
least the hot water on the stove top cleaned it good!

Hardest part of the whole process (for me--I'm short and not real
strong) was lifting the pot full of hot water off the stove afterward.
Maybe next time, I'll drop in the pasta drainer option and just steam
the lobster so it's easier to retrieve.

The other surprise I had was the total disregard my dog had for all
this. Usually when I'm cooking, regardless of what it is, he follows me
to the kitched to see if I drop anything. And if whatever I'm cooking
smells enough to fill the whole apartment, he's definitely there with
his nose up. No such reaction this time. I guess he just isn't a seafood
lover.... ;-)

I'll definitely do this again. It was fun, even if not entirely successful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown

"PastaLover" > wrote in message
newsGLmf.2737$Ev.595@fed1read06...
> [...]

> you judge the "doneness" by the smell?) The only real problem I had was a
> bit of a boil over. I misjudged how much water I needed. Oh well, at least
> the hot water on the stove top cleaned it good!
>
> Hardest part of the whole process (for me--I'm short and not real strong)
> was lifting the pot full of hot water off the stove afterward. Maybe next
> time, I'll drop in the pasta drainer option and just steam the lobster so
> it's easier to retrieve.
>
> The other surprise I had was the total disregard my dog had for all this.
> Usually when I'm cooking, regardless of what it is, he follows me to the
> kitched to see if I drop anything. And if whatever I'm cooking smells
> enough to fill the whole apartment, he's definitely there with his nose
> up. No such reaction this time. I guess he just isn't a seafood lover....

Maybe your dog saw you dropping live things in boiling water and didn't want
to be any where near. snicker snicker.

Thanks for the report on the lobster. I've only done tails, because I was
afraid the lobster would thrash around when dropped in hot water and I just
wouldn't want to see that. I'm thinking about it now.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

PastaLover wrote:
> PastaLover wrote:
>
>> and the bug's in the fridge just waiting.
>>
>> I'll post the results later tonight.

> Well, the results are somewhat mixed. Tail is still more chewy than I
> like. I guess I overcooked him. I'm surprised the tail meat is so prone
> to overcooked--I'd think the greater mass would allow it to cook longer
> without getting overdone. Maybe because it's got more "grain"?

In my experience the tail meat is ALWAYS chewy because the texture of
the flesh is so stringy. It's not a bad thing, just different and
not quite as yummy as the claw meat, just as one side of a porterhouse
isn't as tender as the other.

When you eat a good lobster salad, you don't notice the difference
because the tail meat is cut against the grain so the fibers are
much shorter.

Mmmmm...I'd love to be in Maine right now, sitting down to a big lobster.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
PastaLover

King's Crown wrote:
> [...]

>>bit of a boil over. I misjudged how much water I needed. Oh well, at least
>>the hot water on the stove top cleaned it good!
>>
>>Hardest part of the whole process (for me--I'm short and not real strong)
>>was lifting the pot full of hot water off the stove afterward. Maybe next
>>time, I'll drop in the pasta drainer option and just steam the lobster so
>>it's easier to retrieve.
>>
>>The other surprise I had was the total disregard my dog had for all this.
>>Usually when I'm cooking, regardless of what it is, he follows me to the
>>kitched to see if I drop anything. And if whatever I'm cooking smells
>>enough to fill the whole apartment, he's definitely there with his nose
>>up. No such reaction this time. I guess he just isn't a seafood lover....
>>;-)
>>

> Maybe your dog saw you dropping live things in boiling water and didn't want

Well, he *is* a small dog. But he's still too big for the pot.

And besides, I don't have any toy poodle recipes. Maybe Sheldon does?

;->

> Thanks for the report on the lobster. I've only done tails, because I was
> afraid the lobster would thrash around when dropped in hot water and I just
> wouldn't want to see that. I'm thinking about it now.
>
> Lynne

No problem. Glad to help....

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 10 Dec 2005 06:56:11p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
PastaLover?

> PastaLover wrote:
>> and the bug's in the fridge just waiting.
>>
>> I'll post the results later tonight.

> Went to the store today to buy some tuna for a light supper of sashimi.
> The tuna didn't look as rich and dark as I like, but it was in the case
> right next to the lobster case. So, I opted for the lobster instead. (It
> was my second choice anyway...)
>
> The guy at the store didn't seem to know much about them. I "played
> dumb" and asked a lot of stupid questions. He didn't tell me anything
> wrong, but couldn't answer a few of my questions.
>
> The lobster tank had two 2-pounders with huge claws and I was so tempted
> since I like the claw meat so much, but my stock pot just wasn't that
> large. So I told the guy to fish me out a smaller one. He picked what
> looked to be about the smallest in the tank. Turned out to be very
> feisty little bug. He thrashed his tail and waived his claws. I began to
> have second thoughts, but by then it was too late. I was committed.
>
> He turned out to be pretty docile and didn't move much when I cut the
> rubber bands and pulled him from the little cardboard box I brought him
> home in. Just a little leg movement and a very weak tail movement. I
> live less than 5 minutes from the grocery store and I'd been home only
> about 20 minutes by this time. I simply put the cardboard box in the
> fridge while I filled the pot with water and brought it to a boil.
>
> Well, the results are somewhat mixed. Tail is still more chewy than I
> like. I guess I overcooked him. I'm surprised the tail meat is so prone
> to overcooked--I'd think the greater mass would allow it to cook longer
> without getting overdone. Maybe because it's got more "grain"?
>
> He weighed 1.65 pounds by the grocery's digital scale, and I cooked him
> for 12 minutes. Recipe I saw said 10-12 for 1 to 1.5 pounders. I went to
> the high end of the time range because he was bigger than 1.5, but not
> that much more. I wonder if the overcooking comes from the carry-over
> heat during the time between hauling him out of the pot and running cold
> water over him to stop the cooking. Next time I'll go with the lower end
> of the time range and anticipate the carry-over.

IME, you didn't cook it long enough. Here's a chart:

Boiled
1 lb.
12 - 15 minutes

1-1/2 lbs.
15 - 20 minutes.

2-3 lbs.
20 - 25 minutes

3-1/2 - 5 lbs.
25 - 30 minutes

Steamed
1-1-1/2 lbs.
20 minutes

> I popped him in the boiling water and I swear he must have died
> immediately. No fighting or movement at all. Not sure why this makes
> people so squeamish. I was surprised how fast the shell begain to turn
> color.
>
> After dropping him in the water, I began melting the butter (English
> double cream butter--heaven on earth) and it suddenly dawned on me that

Did you get the English double cream butter in Scottsdale? I would love
to find some.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
PastaLover

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 10 Dec 2005 06:56:11p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> PastaLover?
>

>>He weighed 1.65 pounds by the grocery's digital scale, and I cooked him
>>for 12 minutes. Recipe I saw said 10-12 for 1 to 1.5 pounders. I went to
>>the high end of the time range because he was bigger than 1.5, but not
>>that much more. I wonder if the overcooking comes from the carry-over
>>heat during the time between hauling him out of the pot and running cold
>>water over him to stop the cooking. Next time I'll go with the lower end
>>of the time range and anticipate the carry-over.

> IME, you didn't cook it long enough. Here's a chart:
>
> Boiled
> 1 lb.
> 12 - 15 minutes
>
> 1-1/2 lbs.
> 15 - 20 minutes.
>
> 2-3 lbs.
> 20 - 25 minutes
>
> 3-1/2 - 5 lbs.
> 25 - 30 minutes
>
> Steamed
> 1-1-1/2 lbs.
> 20 minutes

The recipe I had said that the tail meat should be solid white, not the
least bit translucent. It wasn't. He was cooked enough. The leg and claw
meat was fine, but the tail was even chewier than the last couple
restaurant lobsters I've had.

>>After dropping him in the water, I began melting the butter (English
>>double cream butter--heaven on earth) and it suddenly dawned on me that

> Did you get the English double cream butter in Scottsdale? I would love
> to find some.

Are you in the Phoenix area? I picked it up at either AJ's Gourmet
Market or Trader Joes. I shop at every different market here; every one
has something different that I like. There's a Basha's on the way home
from work (great fried chicken in their deli--and sometimes good
desserts), a Safeway is actually closest to me, I have a card at
Albertson's, I only buy certain things at the Wild Oats, and when I'm
there in the same shopping center for other things, I'll stop at Fry's
or Henry's or Wal-Mart. More I think about it, I'm sure it was AJ's.
There is a British market in Phoenix, on east Thomas. Not sure of the
cross street....

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 11 Dec 2005 12:00:46a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it PastaLover?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sat 10 Dec 2005 06:56:11p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> PastaLover?
>>

>>>He weighed 1.65 pounds by the grocery's digital scale, and I cooked him
>>>for 12 minutes. Recipe I saw said 10-12 for 1 to 1.5 pounders. I went to
>>>the high end of the time range because he was bigger than 1.5, but not
>>>that much more. I wonder if the overcooking comes from the carry-over
>>>heat during the time between hauling him out of the pot and running cold
>>>water over him to stop the cooking. Next time I'll go with the lower end
>>>of the time range and anticipate the carry-over.

>> IME, you didn't cook it long enough. Here's a chart:
>>
>> Boiled
>> 1 lb.
>> 12 - 15 minutes
>>
>> 1-1/2 lbs.
>> 15 - 20 minutes.
>>
>> 2-3 lbs.
>> 20 - 25 minutes
>>
>> 3-1/2 - 5 lbs.
>> 25 - 30 minutes
>>
>> Steamed
>> 1-1-1/2 lbs.
>> 20 minutes
>>

> The recipe I had said that the tail meat should be solid white, not the
> least bit translucent. It wasn't. He was cooked enough. The leg and claw
> meat was fine, but the tail was even chewier than the last couple
> restaurant lobsters I've had.
>

>>>After dropping him in the water, I began melting the butter (English
>>>double cream butter--heaven on earth) and it suddenly dawned on me that

>> Did you get the English double cream butter in Scottsdale? I would love
>> to find some.

> Are you in the Phoenix area? I picked it up at either AJ's Gourmet
> Market or Trader Joes. I shop at every different market here; every one
> has something different that I like. There's a Basha's on the way home
> from work (great fried chicken in their deli--and sometimes good
> desserts), a Safeway is actually closest to me, I have a card at
> Albertson's, I only buy certain things at the Wild Oats, and when I'm
> there in the same shopping center for other things, I'll stop at Fry's
> or Henry's or Wal-Mart. More I think about it, I'm sure it was AJ's.
> There is a British market in Phoenix, on east Thomas. Not sure of the
> cross street....

Yes, I live in Apache Junction but I work in central Phoenix. I do my
specialty shopping at AJ's and Trader Joes. I also like Sprouts and Whole
Foods. The few times I've been to Wild Oats I haven't been too impressed.
Most of my shopping is at Bashas or Frys. I don't care much for Safeway or
Alberson's. I buy a lot of basics at Wal-Mart. Is that the Henry's on N.
Tatum? I haven't been there. Can you tell me what it's like? We have a
few farmer's market type places down this way. I did some searching and
found the British Gourmet...

British Gourmet
7901 E Thomas Rd Ste 105
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
(480) 994-3837

Cross Street:
Between N Hayden Rd and N 78th St

www.britishgourmet.com

I will definitely stop by this place soon!

Thanks for the tips.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"King's Crown" > wrote:

> Maybe your dog saw you dropping live things in boiling water and didn't want
> to be any where near. snicker snicker.

;-)

> Thanks for the report on the lobster. I've only done tails, because I was
> afraid the lobster would thrash around when dropped in hot water and I just
> wouldn't want to see that. I'm thinking about it now.
>
> Lynne

Start them in cold water and bring up to a boil.
Not only do they come out more tender, but they don't thrash around.

At all.

I start them in cold and just bring it up to a boil.
When the lobster turns red, it's done.

I've never had the tail meat turn out tough......

Cheers!
--
Om.

How to boil water better??? PLucas1[_2_] General Cooking 18 01-03-2010 12:24 AM
So, how *do* you boil water? pennyaline General Cooking 2 21-02-2005 10:55 PM
How to boil water sf General Cooking 24 25-11-2004 09:15 AM
how to boil water A.C. General Cooking 5 11-06-2004 06:03 AM
How long to boil a gal of water on a High BTU Range Bob Sisson Cooking Equipment 2 31-12-2003 04:45 AM