Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The 25th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report - 2019 Minnesota State Fair

As I said in my list of 2018 ribbons won, sometimes you're the mop,
sometimes you're the floor. In 2017, I was the floor. Last year (2018
competitions) I was the mop. This year I was the mop!! Yeay!! Seven
blue ribbons and the plaque for being the best canner for the ninth
time since it has been awarded, its Prestigious Processor of the Pantry
award. (I didn't name it that, okay?). Life has changed here and I
am pleased with the results. The list:

First Place Blue Ribbons
Raspberry Jelly
Spiced Lemony Blueberry Jam
Raspberry Jam
Strawberry Jam
Bean Pickles *
Chili Sauce
Cherry-Rhubarb Jam

*The Bean Pickles also received a Sweepstakes ribbon for Best of Show
of all the various pickle types. It is the first year purple ribbons
have been awarded for canning.

Second Place Ribbon
Crab Apple Jelly

Third Place Ribbons
Plum Jelly
Bread & Butter Pickles
Watermelon Pickles

Fourth Place Ribbon
Cherry Jelly
Rhubarb Jam

Thirteen ribbons for 20 entries is good and I am happy with the
results. I didn't enter stewed tomatoes or tomato juice this year
because the tomatoes are late!! And I now have a bunch of them to deal
with. I may put up more stewed tomatoes for my shelves because they
are so versatile.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 1:40:12 PM UTC-4, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> As I said in my list of 2018 ribbons won, sometimes you're the mop,
> sometimes you're the floor. In 2017, I was the floor. Last year (2018
> competitions) I was the mop. This year I was the mop!! Yeay!! Seven
> blue ribbons and the plaque for being the best canner for the ninth
> time since it has been awarded, its Prestigious Processor of the Pantry
> award. (I didn't name it that, okay?). Life has changed here and I
> am pleased with the results. The list:
>
> First Place Blue Ribbons
> Raspberry Jelly
> Spiced Lemony Blueberry Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Bean Pickles *
> Chili Sauce
> Cherry-Rhubarb Jam
>
> *The Bean Pickles also received a Sweepstakes ribbon for Best of Show
> of all the various pickle types. It is the first year purple ribbons
> have been awarded for canning.
>
> Second Place Ribbon
> Crab Apple Jelly
>
> Third Place Ribbons
> Plum Jelly
> Bread & Butter Pickles
> Watermelon Pickles
>
> Fourth Place Ribbon
> Cherry Jelly
> Rhubarb Jam
>
> Thirteen ribbons for 20 entries is good and I am happy with the
> results. I didn't enter stewed tomatoes or tomato juice this year
> because the tomatoes are late!! And I now have a bunch of them to deal
> with. I may put up more stewed tomatoes for my shelves because they
> are so versatile.
>
> Thanks for your indulgence.

> Barb
> www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

That's really good. Congrats!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-04 17:40:04 +0000, Melba's Jammin said:

> As I said in my list of 2018 ribbons won, sometimes you're the mop,
> sometimes you're the floor. In 2017, I was the floor. Last year (2018
> competitions) I was the mop. This year I was the mop!! Yeay!! Seven
> blue ribbons and the plaque for being the best canner for the ninth
> time since it has been awarded, its Prestigious Processor of the Pantry
> award. (I didn't name it that, okay?). Life has changed here and I
> am pleased with the results. The list:
>
> (snipped)
> Thirteen ribbons for 20 entries is good and I am happy with the
> results. I didn't enter stewed tomatoes or tomato juice this year
> because the tomatoes are late!! And I now have a bunch of them to deal
> with. I may put up more stewed tomatoes for my shelves because they
> are so versatile.
>
> Thanks for your indulgence.
>
> --

Oh, the chocolate Bundt„¢ cake came in fifth of 44 entries and I am
happy enough with that.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 12:40:12 PM UTC-5, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> As I said in my list of 2018 ribbons won, sometimes you're the mop,
> sometimes you're the floor. In 2017, I was the floor. Last year (2018
> competitions) I was the mop. This year I was the mop!! Yeay!! Seven
> blue ribbons and the plaque for being the best canner for the ninth
> time since it has been awarded, its Prestigious Processor of the Pantry
> award. (I didn't name it that, okay?). Life has changed here and I
> am pleased with the results. The list:
>
> First Place Blue Ribbons
> Raspberry Jelly
> Spiced Lemony Blueberry Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Bean Pickles *
> Chili Sauce
> Cherry-Rhubarb Jam
>
> *The Bean Pickles also received a Sweepstakes ribbon for Best of Show
> of all the various pickle types. It is the first year purple ribbons
> have been awarded for canning.
>
> Second Place Ribbon
> Crab Apple Jelly
>
> Third Place Ribbons
> Plum Jelly
> Bread & Butter Pickles
> Watermelon Pickles
>
> Fourth Place Ribbon
> Cherry Jelly
> Rhubarb Jam
>
> Thirteen ribbons for 20 entries is good and I am happy with the
> results. I didn't enter stewed tomatoes or tomato juice this year
> because the tomatoes are late!! And I now have a bunch of them to deal
> with. I may put up more stewed tomatoes for my shelves because they
> are so versatile.
>
> Thanks for your indulgence.
>
> Barb
> www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! ! !
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-04 18:30:01 +0000, said:

> On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 12:40:12 PM UTC-5, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> Thirteen ribbons for 20 entries is good and I am happy with the
>> results. I didn't enter stewed tomatoes or tomato juice this year
>> because the tomatoes are late!! And I now have a bunch of them to deal
>> with. I may put up more stewed tomatoes for my shelves because they
>> are so versatile.
>>
>> Thanks for your indulgence.
>>
>> Barb

www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

> C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! ! !

Thank you, Joan.

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> On 2019-09-04 17:40:04 +0000, Melba's Jammin said:
>
> > As I said in my list of 2018 ribbons won, sometimes you're the mop,
> > sometimes you're the floor. In 2017, I was the floor. Last year (2018
> > competitions) I was the mop. This year I was the mop!! Yeay!! Seven
> > blue ribbons and the plaque for being the best canner for the ninth
> > time since it has been awarded, its Prestigious Processor of the Pantry
> > award. (I didn't name it that, okay?). Life has changed here and I
> > am pleased with the results. The list:
> >
> > (snipped)
> > Thirteen ribbons for 20 entries is good and I am happy with the
> > results. I didn't enter stewed tomatoes or tomato juice this year
> > because the tomatoes are late!! And I now have a bunch of them to deal
> > with. I may put up more stewed tomatoes for my shelves because they
> > are so versatile.
> >
> > Thanks for your indulgence.
> >
> > --

> Oh, the chocolate Bundt„¢ cake came in fifth of 44 entries and I am
> happy enough with that.

.....zzzzzzzzzzz.......

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> On 2019-09-04 17:40:04 +0000, Melba's Jammin said:
>
> > As I said in my list of 2018 ribbons won, sometimes you're the mop,
> > sometimes you're the floor. In 2017, I was the floor. Last year (2018
> > competitions) I was the mop. This year I was the mop!! Yeay!! Seven
> > blue ribbons and the plaque for being the best canner for the ninth
> > time since it has been awarded, its Prestigious Processor of the Pantry
> > award. (I didn't name it that, okay?). Life has changed here and I
> > am pleased with the results. The list:
> >
> > (snipped)
> > Thirteen ribbons for 20 entries is good and I am happy with the
> > results. I didn't enter stewed tomatoes or tomato juice this year
> > because the tomatoes are late!! And I now have a bunch of them to deal
> > with. I may put up more stewed tomatoes for my shelves because they
> > are so versatile.
> >
> > Thanks for your indulgence.
> >
> > --

> Oh, the chocolate Bundt„¢ cake came in fifth of 44 entries and I am
> happy enough with that.

.....zzzzzzzzzzz.......

====

I would like to see her posting here all the time. Not just as
competition time

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/19 11:40 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> As I said in my list of 2018 ribbons won, sometimes you're the mop,
> sometimes you're the floor.Â* In 2017, I was the floor.Â* Last year (2018
> competitions) I was the mop.Â* This year I was the mop!!Â* Yeay!!Â* Seven
> blue ribbons and the plaque for being the best canner for the ninth time
> since it has been awarded, its Prestigious Processor of the Pantry
> award.Â* (I didn't name it that, okay?).Â*Â* Life has changed here and I am
> pleased with the results.Â* The list:
>
> First Place Blue Ribbons
> Raspberry Jelly
> Spiced Lemony Blueberry Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Bean Pickles *
> Chili Sauce
> Cherry-Rhubarb Jam
>
> *The Bean Pickles also received a Sweepstakes ribbon for Best of Show of
> all the various pickle types.Â* It is the first year purple ribbons have
> been awarded for canning.
>
> Second Place Ribbon
> Crab Apple Jelly
>
> Third Place Ribbons
> Plum Jelly
> Bread & Butter Pickles
> Watermelon Pickles
>
> Fourth Place Ribbon
> Cherry Jelly
> Rhubarb Jam
>
> Thirteen ribbons for 20 entries is good and I am happy with the
> results.Â* I didn't enter stewed tomatoes or tomato juice this year
> because the tomatoes are late!!Â* And I now have a bunch of them to deal
> with.Â* I may put up more stewed tomatoes for my shelves because they are
> so versatile.
>
> Thanks for your indulgence.

WOW, fantastic job! Congratulations!!

jay
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/5/19 4:31 AM, Gary wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> On 2019-09-04 17:40:04 +0000, Melba's Jammin said:
>>
>>> As I said in my list of 2018 ribbons won, sometimes you're the mop,
>>> sometimes you're the floor. In 2017, I was the floor. Last year (2018
>>> competitions) I was the mop. This year I was the mop!! Yeay!! Seven
>>> blue ribbons and the plaque for being the best canner for the ninth
>>> time since it has been awarded, its Prestigious Processor of the Pantry
>>> award. (I didn't name it that, okay?). Life has changed here and I
>>> am pleased with the results. The list:
>>>
>>> (snipped)
>>> Thirteen ribbons for 20 entries is good and I am happy with the
>>> results. I didn't enter stewed tomatoes or tomato juice this year
>>> because the tomatoes are late!! And I now have a bunch of them to deal
>>> with. I may put up more stewed tomatoes for my shelves because they
>>> are so versatile.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your indulgence.
>>>
>>> --

>> Oh, the chocolate Bundt„¢ cake came in fifth of 44 entries and I am
>> happy enough with that.

> .....zzzzzzzzzzz.......

You are not talented enough to even wash her dirty dishes. So go back to
sleep.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <2019090412400468549-barbschaller@earthlinknet>, Melba's
Jammin' > wrote:

> Thirteen ribbons for 20 entries is good and I am happy with the
> results. I didn't enter stewed tomatoes or tomato juice this year
> because the tomatoes are late!! And I now have a bunch of them to deal
> with. I may put up more stewed tomatoes for my shelves because they
> are so versatile.

I told my wife, the Minnesota State Fair must be over and why. Since I
don't usually share Usenet with her, she looked you up on YouTube. Then
I printed your post for her and told her to get busy. She appeared to
ignore me.
As always, congratulations!

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 5, 2019 at 6:29:47 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> I told my wife to get busy. She appeared to
> ignore me.
>
> leo

Wellllll, doggie!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-05 11:41:49 +0000, Ophelia said:

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> On 2019-09-04 17:40:04 +0000, Melba's Jammin said:
>>
>>> As I said in my list of 2018 ribbons won, sometimes you're the mop,
>>> sometimes you're the floor. In 2017, I was the floor. Last year (2018
>>> competitions) I was the mop. This year I was the mop!! Yeay!! Seven
>>> blue ribbons and the plaque for being the best canner for the ninth
>>> time since it has been awarded, its Prestigious Processor of the Pantry
>>> award. (I didn't name it that, okay?). Life has changed here and I
>>> am pleased with the results. The list:
>>>
>>> (snipped)
>>> Thirteen ribbons for 20 entries is good and I am happy with the
>>> results. I didn't enter stewed tomatoes or tomato juice this year
>>> because the tomatoes are late!! And I now have a bunch of them to deal
>>> with. I may put up more stewed tomatoes for my shelves because they
>>> are so versatile.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your indulgence.
>>>
>>> --

>> Oh, the chocolate Bundt„¢ cake came in fifth of 44 entries and I am
>> happy enough with that.

> .....zzzzzzzzzzz.......
>

> ====
>
> I would like to see her posting here all the time. Not just as
> competition time

That's fair, Ophelia. :-\
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-05 12:53:08 +0000, jay said:

> On 9/4/19 11:40 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>

>> Thirteen ribbons for 20 entries is good and I am happy with the
>> results.*Thanks for your indulgence.
>>

> WOW, fantastic job! Congratulations!!
>
> jay

Thanks. I just took 6 pints of "stewed tomatoes" from the steam
canner. The extra cup that was leftover tasted mighty good. :-)
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-05 23:29:42 +0000, Leonard Blaisdell said:

> In article <2019090412400468549-barbschaller@earthlinknet>, Melba's
> Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> Thirteen ribbons for 20 entries is good and I am happy with the
>> results. I didn't enter stewed tomatoes or tomato juice this year
>> because the tomatoes are late!! And I now have a bunch of them to deal
>> with. I may put up more stewed tomatoes for my shelves because they
>> are so versatile.

> I told my wife, the Minnesota State Fair must be over and why. Since I
> don't usually share Usenet with her, she looked you up on YouTube. Then
> I printed your post for her and told her to get busy. She appeared to
> ignore me.
> As always, congratulations!
>
> leo

<blush>. Thank you. I'm guessing she's had your number for a while,
Leo. It sort of reminds me of Rob when I am inclined to give or sell
someone some pickles: "Quit giving away my pickles!" I said they'll be
"his" pickles when he helps me make them. He actually did scrub the
cucumbers for the second batch. It should pacify him for a while.
<grin>
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-04 17:43:41 +0000, A Moose in Love said:

> On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 1:40:12 PM UTC-4, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snipped)

>> Thirteen ribbons for 20 entries is good and I am happy with the
>> results. I didn't enter stewed tomatoes or tomato juice this year
>> because the tomatoes are late!! And I now have a bunch of them to deal
>> with. I may put up more stewed tomatoes for my shelves because they
>> are so versatile.
>>
>> Thanks for your indulgence.
>> Barb
>> www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

> That's really good. Congrats!

Thanks. I've put up about 325 jars of stuff. And I'm about done with
it. I may make sauce and just freeze the last of the tomatoes I bought
this afternoon. IBePooped!
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Leo wrote:

><blush>. Thank you. I'm guessing she's had your number for a while,
> Leo. It sort of reminds me of Rob when I am inclined to give or sell
> someone some pickles: "Quit giving away my pickles!" I said they'll be
> "his" pickles when he helps me make them. He actually did scrub the
> cucumbers for the second batch. It should pacify him for a while.
><grin>

Mom has helped a lot this season by helping pick and scrub.
which goes a long ways towards getting them done.

i think we put up about 111 quarts of dill pickles and
a case of pints of bread and butter pickles.

she's discovered that she really likes tartar sauce
made with almost all chunked up dill pickles. any
extra tartar sauce gets used on other things as i am
inspired (not bad on grilled cheese or BLTs or eggs or
mashed or fried taters, etc.)

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-05 11:41:49 +0000, Ophelia said:

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> On 2019-09-04 17:40:04 +0000, Melba's Jammin said:
>>
>>> As I said in my list of 2018 ribbons won, sometimes you're the mop,
>>> sometimes you're the floor. In 2017, I was the floor. Last year (2018
>>> competitions) I was the mop. This year I was the mop!! Yeay!! Seven
>>> blue ribbons and the plaque for being the best canner for the ninth
>>> time since it has been awarded, its Prestigious Processor of the Pantry
>>> award. (I didn't name it that, okay?). Life has changed here and I
>>> am pleased with the results. The list:
>>>
>>> (snipped)
>>> Thirteen ribbons for 20 entries is good and I am happy with the
>>> results. I didn't enter stewed tomatoes or tomato juice this year
>>> because the tomatoes are late!! And I now have a bunch of them to deal
>>> with. I may put up more stewed tomatoes for my shelves because they
>>> are so versatile.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your indulgence.
>>>
>>> --

>> Oh, the chocolate Bundt„¢ cake came in fifth of 44 entries and I am
>> happy enough with that.

> .....zzzzzzzzzzz.......
>

> ====
>
> I would like to see her posting here all the time. Not just as
> competition time

That's fair, Ophelia. :-\

========

I used to enjoy your posts and I do miss them! You talk mostly about
cooking and we don't seem to get too much of that here any more

Anyway, Congratulations on your successes, but do think about coming
back?

Best O

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-06 03:20:38 +0000, Melba's Jammin said:

> On 2019-09-05 11:41:49 +0000, Ophelia said:
>>
>> I would like to see her posting here all the time. Not just as
>> competition time

> That's fair, Ophelia. :-\
> --

I just sent an email to the address I've had for you for many years.
Also, that earthlink.net address is dead.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-05 11:36 p.m., Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> <blush>. Thank you. I'm guessing she's had your number for a while,
> Leo. It sort of reminds me of Rob when I am inclined to give or
> sell someone some pickles: "Quit giving away my pickles!" I said
> they'll be "his" pickles when he helps me make them. He actually did
> scrub the cucumbers for the second batch. It should pacify him for a
> while. <grin>

I know that feeling. My wife used to give away my jam. Fine for her.
She rarely eats jam, and she always had an aversion to helping me
because she is afraid to work with the hot jam and jars. It was nice
that she was proud of my efforts, but is was my jam.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-06 03:20:38 +0000, Melba's Jammin said:

> On 2019-09-05 11:41:49 +0000, Ophelia said:
>>
>> I would like to see her posting here all the time. Not just as
>> competition time

> That's fair, Ophelia. :-\
> --

I just sent an email to the address I've had for you for many years.
Also, that earthlink.net address is dead.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

===

Oh I don't think I've ever had an earthlink address.

I will mail you now and you will get my current one))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-06 03:20:38 +0000, Melba's Jammin said:

> On 2019-09-05 11:41:49 +0000, Ophelia said:
>>
>> I would like to see her posting here all the time. Not just as
>> competition time

> That's fair, Ophelia. :-\
> --

I just sent an email to the address I've had for you for many years.
Also, that earthlink.net address is dead.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

=====

I just sent mail to the address I have in my contacts.