Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight. Is it still Jambalaya?

Last night I went next door for dinner with my son and his SO. She made
jambalaya with kielbasa and shrimp. Her version was pretty good.

I had some to take home for another meal. I chose to make it for dinner
tonight, but dressed it up a bit. Quite a bit.

I had a pan with a little bacon grease in it. I decided to cut up an
other slice and fry it to make some more grease (and flavor) to heat the
leftovers. I also had a little chicken from the other day. Not enough
for a dinners, so I cut that up and added to. Emptied the container of
leftovers to heat, but then, I added some cheese. I little mozzarella
and a little cheddar.

After filling my plate, I even gave it a little drizzle of a Balsamic
reduction.

Call it whatever you want, but it was damned good!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 3:57:46 PM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Last night I went next door for dinner with my son and his SO. She made
> jambalaya with kielbasa and shrimp. Her version was pretty good.
>
> I had some to take home for another meal. I chose to make it for dinner
> tonight, but dressed it up a bit. Quite a bit.
>
> I had a pan with a little bacon grease in it. I decided to cut up an
> other slice and fry it to make some more grease (and flavor) to heat the
> leftovers. I also had a little chicken from the other day. Not enough
> for a dinners, so I cut that up and added to. Emptied the container of
> leftovers to heat, but then, I added some cheese. I little mozzarella
> and a little cheddar.
>
> After filling my plate, I even gave it a little drizzle of a Balsamic
> reduction.
>
> Call it whatever you want, but it was damned good!

sounds good to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2019 6:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Last night I went next door for dinner with my son and his SO.Â* She made
> jambalaya with kielbasa and shrimp.Â* Her version was pretty good.
>
> I had some to take home for another meal.Â* I chose to make it for dinner
> tonight, but dressed it up a bit.Â*Â* Quite a bit.
>
> I had a pan with a little bacon grease in it.Â* I decided to cut up an
> other slice and fry it to make some more grease (and flavor) to heat the
> leftovers.Â* I also had a little chicken from the other day.Â* Not enough
> for a dinners, so I cut that up and added to.Â* Emptied the container of
> leftovers to heat, but then, I added some cheese.Â* I little mozzarella
> and a little cheddar.
>
> After filling my plate, I even gave it a little drizzle of a Balsamic
> reduction.
>
> Call it whatever you want, but it was damned good!

Sounds creative and tasty to me! I wouldn't turn it down.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 7:17:46 PM UTC-5, ImStillMags wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 3:57:46 PM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > Last night I went next door for dinner with my son and his SO. She made
> > jambalaya with kielbasa and shrimp. Her version was pretty good.
> >
> > I had some to take home for another meal. I chose to make it for dinner
> > tonight, but dressed it up a bit. Quite a bit.
> >
> > I had a pan with a little bacon grease in it. I decided to cut up an
> > other slice and fry it to make some more grease (and flavor) to heat the
> > leftovers. I also had a little chicken from the other day. Not enough
> > for a dinners, so I cut that up and added to. Emptied the container of
> > leftovers to heat, but then, I added some cheese. I little mozzarella
> > and a little cheddar.
> >
> > After filling my plate, I even gave it a little drizzle of a Balsamic
> > reduction.
> >
> > Call it whatever you want, but it was damned good!

> sounds good to me.

I agree and I bet he cleaned his plate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 5:57:46 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Well, my dinner consisted of two inch thick center cut pork chops I snagged
last Friday in the marked down meat bin. But only one landed on my plate.

I patted them dry while a skillet with about a teaspoon of oil was heating.
Then the were sprinkled with Morton's Seasoning and browned to a beautiful
golden hue. The next step consists of a can of cream of mushroom soup so
if anyone is offended by this addition, stop reading now. I poured about
a quarter of a cup of milk into the can to rinse it out and get the last
bit of soup and all was poured over the chops. A lid went on the skillet
and simmered very, very low for an hour.

Green beans and mashed potatoes rounded out this dinner and the other pork
chop is waiting to be consumed mostly likely on Thursday.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 18:57:43 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>Last night I went next door for dinner with my son and his SO. She made
>jambalaya with kielbasa and shrimp. Her version was pretty good.

jambalaya is always good!!
have you ever tasted it made from the deep south?

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 9:46:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 5:57:46 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >

> Well, my dinner consisted of two inch thick center cut pork chops I snagged
> last Friday in the marked down meat bin. But only one landed on my plate.
>
> I patted them dry while a skillet with about a teaspoon of oil was heating.
> Then the were sprinkled with Morton's Seasoning and browned to a beautiful
> golden hue. The next step consists of a can of cream of mushroom soup so
> if anyone is offended by this addition, stop reading now. I poured about
> a quarter of a cup of milk into the can to rinse it out and get the last
> bit of soup and all was poured over the chops. A lid went on the skillet
> and simmered very, very low for an hour.

An hour? Why do you hate your pork chops?

I'd brown them in a little neutral oil and finish them in the oven until
no more than medium or medium-rare. Call it 145 F internal temperature.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 9:46:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 5:57:46 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >

> Well, my dinner consisted of two inch thick center cut pork chops I snagged
> last Friday in the marked down meat bin. But only one landed on my plate.
>
> I patted them dry while a skillet with about a teaspoon of oil was heating.
> Then the were sprinkled with Morton's Seasoning and browned to a beautiful
> golden hue. The next step consists of a can of cream of mushroom soup so
> if anyone is offended by this addition, stop reading now. I poured about
> a quarter of a cup of milk into the can to rinse it out and get the last
> bit of soup and all was poured over the chops. A lid went on the skillet
> and simmered very, very low for an hour.
>
> Green beans and mashed potatoes rounded out this dinner and the other pork
> chop is waiting to be consumed mostly likely on Thursday.

Cream of mushroom soup is also good for oven braising beef tongue. First of course you need to simmer until tender. Cool. Peel. Fry in butter then into the oven with the COMS.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:
> Well, my dinner consisted of two inch thick center cut pork chops I snagged
> last Friday in the marked down meat bin. But only one landed on my plate.
>
> I patted them dry while a skillet with about a teaspoon of oil was heating.
> Then the were sprinkled with Morton's Seasoning and browned to a beautiful
> golden hue. The next step consists of a can of cream of mushroom soup so
> if anyone is offended by this addition, stop reading now. I poured about
> a quarter of a cup of milk into the can to rinse it out and get the last
> bit of soup and all was poured over the chops. A lid went on the skillet
> and simmered very, very low for an hour.
>
> Green beans and mashed potatoes rounded out this dinner and the other pork
> chop is waiting to be consumed mostly likely on Thursday.

You so nailed that dinner, Joan. One of my all-time favorites.
Don't know if you remember but that's exactly what I made maybe 6
months ago or so. So darn delicious. Only difference was I used
thin cut pork chops not thick ones like you used. A very
excellent dinner!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 9:46:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> > On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 5:57:46 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > >

> > Well, my dinner consisted of two inch thick center cut pork chops I snagged
> > last Friday in the marked down meat bin. But only one landed on my plate.
> >
> > I patted them dry while a skillet with about a teaspoon of oil was heating.
> > Then the were sprinkled with Morton's Seasoning and browned to a beautiful
> > golden hue. The next step consists of a can of cream of mushroom soup so
> > if anyone is offended by this addition, stop reading now. I poured about
> > a quarter of a cup of milk into the can to rinse it out and get the last
> > bit of soup and all was poured over the chops. A lid went on the skillet
> > and simmered very, very low for an hour.

> An hour? Why do you hate your pork chops?

Not at all, Cindy. Call it slow braised if you want. That's the
way to make them. Sear on high heat, add the mush soup, cover and
simmer for a long while. The resulting gravy taste (mush soup
mixed with pork) is to die for. They should just can and sell
that for a gravy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2019 4:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Last night I went next door for dinner with my son and his SO.Â* She made
> jambalaya with kielbasa and shrimp.Â* Her version was pretty good.

Hey, Ed. Reciprocate with one of these recipes:

https://www.gumbopages.com/food/jambalaya.html

I've always found the Gumbo Pages to be a GOOD resource.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 8/20/2019 4:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > Last night I went next door for dinner with my son and his SO. She made
> > jambalaya with kielbasa and shrimp. Her version was pretty good.

> Hey, Ed. Reciprocate with one of these recipes:
>
> https://www.gumbopages.com/food/jambalaya.html
>
> I've always found the Gumbo Pages to be a GOOD resource.

I always liked the old Gumby claymation shows.
Remember old days on SNL when Eddie Murphy did some
Gumby skits? "I'm GUMBY DAMMIT!" funny stuff
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

Last night I went next door for dinner with my son and his SO. She made
jambalaya with kielbasa and shrimp. Her version was pretty good.

I had some to take home for another meal. I chose to make it for dinner
tonight, but dressed it up a bit. Quite a bit.

I had a pan with a little bacon grease in it. I decided to cut up an
other slice and fry it to make some more grease (and flavor) to heat the
leftovers. I also had a little chicken from the other day. Not enough
for a dinners, so I cut that up and added to. Emptied the container of
leftovers to heat, but then, I added some cheese. I little mozzarella
and a little cheddar.

After filling my plate, I even gave it a little drizzle of a Balsamic
reduction.

Call it whatever you want, but it was damned good!

===

That sounds jolly good)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 6:57:46 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Last night I went next door for dinner with my son and his SO. She made
> jambalaya with kielbasa and shrimp. Her version was pretty good.
>
> I had some to take home for another meal. I chose to make it for dinner
> tonight, but dressed it up a bit. Quite a bit.
>
> I had a pan with a little bacon grease in it. I decided to cut up an
> other slice and fry it to make some more grease (and flavor) to heat the
> leftovers. I also had a little chicken from the other day. Not enough
> for a dinners, so I cut that up and added to. Emptied the container of
> leftovers to heat, but then, I added some cheese. I little mozzarella
> and a little cheddar.
>
> After filling my plate, I even gave it a little drizzle of a Balsamic
> reduction.
>
> Call it whatever you want, but it was damned good!

Of course it's still jambalaya. As I understand it, that word translates
to "Ah cleaned out the fridge, cher".

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 9:19:54 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 9:46:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> > > On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 5:57:46 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > > >
> > > Well, my dinner consisted of two inch thick center cut pork chops I snagged
> > > last Friday in the marked down meat bin. But only one landed on my plate.
> > >
> > > I patted them dry while a skillet with about a teaspoon of oil was heating.
> > > Then the were sprinkled with Morton's Seasoning and browned to a beautiful
> > > golden hue. The next step consists of a can of cream of mushroom soup so
> > > if anyone is offended by this addition, stop reading now. I poured about
> > > a quarter of a cup of milk into the can to rinse it out and get the last
> > > bit of soup and all was poured over the chops. A lid went on the skillet
> > > and simmered very, very low for an hour.

> > An hour? Why do you hate your pork chops?

> Not at all, Cindy. Call it slow braised if you want. That's the
> way to make them. Sear on high heat, add the mush soup, cover and
> simmer for a long while. The resulting gravy taste (mush soup
> mixed with pork) is to die for. They should just can and sell
> that for a gravy.

I'll take your word for it. I'd rather taste the pork. And chew it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 09:18:17 -0400, Gary > wrote:

" wrote:
>> Well, my dinner consisted of two inch thick center cut pork chops I snagged
>> last Friday in the marked down meat bin. But only one landed on my plate.
>>
>> I patted them dry while a skillet with about a teaspoon of oil was heating.
>> Then the were sprinkled with Morton's Seasoning and browned to a beautiful
>> golden hue. The next step consists of a can of cream of mushroom soup so
>> if anyone is offended by this addition, stop reading now. I poured about
>> a quarter of a cup of milk into the can to rinse it out and get the last
>> bit of soup and all was poured over the chops. A lid went on the skillet
>> and simmered very, very low for an hour.
>>
>> Green beans and mashed potatoes rounded out this dinner and the other pork
>> chop is waiting to be consumed mostly likely on Thursday.

>You so nailed that dinner, Joan. One of my all-time favorites.
>Don't know if you remember but that's exactly what I made maybe 6
>months ago or so. So darn delicious. Only difference was I used
>thin cut pork chops not thick ones like you used. A very
>excellent dinner!

I agree, it is a wonderful sounding dinner. For me, it would be a
winter dinner. Mostly though I would make pork chops as Cindy does.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 6:57:46 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Last night I went next door for dinner with my son and his SO. She made
> jambalaya with kielbasa and shrimp. Her version was pretty good.
>
> I had some to take home for another meal. I chose to make it for dinner
> tonight, but dressed it up a bit. Quite a bit.
>
> I had a pan with a little bacon grease in it. I decided to cut up an
> other slice and fry it to make some more grease (and flavor) to heat the
> leftovers. I also had a little chicken from the other day. Not enough
> for a dinners, so I cut that up and added to. Emptied the container of
> leftovers to heat, but then, I added some cheese. I little mozzarella
> and a little cheddar.
>
> After filling my plate, I even gave it a little drizzle of a Balsamic
> reduction.
>
> Call it whatever you want, but it was damned good!

Of course it's still jambalaya. As I understand it, that word translates
to "Ah cleaned out the fridge, cher".

Cindy Hamilton

==

LOL, love it)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 20:21:47 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2019-08 itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>> > On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> >>
>> > Well, my dinner consisted of two inch thick center cut pork chops I snagged
>> > last Friday in the marked down meat bin. But only one landed on my plate.
>> >
>> > I patted them dry while a skillet with about a teaspoon of oil was heating.
>> > Then the were sprinkled with Morton's Seasoning and browned to a beautiful
>> > golden hue. The next step consists of a can of cream of mushroom soup so
>> > if anyone is offended by this addition, stop reading now.

>> Okay.... I stopped

Good!

That's a sad way to treat thick center cut pork loin chops... they
don't contain enough internal fat to handle braising without becoming
like shoe leather. Would be far better to braise shoulder chops, in
canned crushed tomatoes is how I make pasta sauce. It's got to be
some sixty years since I've eaten any condensed Campbells soup (school
lunchroom), that's an ingredient for those who can't cook. Can't take
15 minutes to cook up a flavorful roux... canned 'shrooms are far
better than those mouse droppings Campbells call mushrooms.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 4:59:56 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 9:46:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 5:57:46 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > >

> > Well, my dinner consisted of two inch thick center cut pork chops I snagged
> > last Friday in the marked down meat bin. But only one landed on my plate.
> >
> > I patted them dry while a skillet with about a teaspoon of oil was heating.
> > Then the were sprinkled with Morton's Seasoning and browned to a beautiful
> > golden hue. The next step consists of a can of cream of mushroom soup so
> > if anyone is offended by this addition, stop reading now. I poured about
> > a quarter of a cup of milk into the can to rinse it out and get the last
> > bit of soup and all was poured over the chops. A lid went on the skillet
> > and simmered very, very low for an hour.

> An hour? Why do you hate your pork chops?
>
> I'd brown them in a little neutral oil and finish them in the oven until
> no more than medium or medium-rare. Call it 145 F internal temperature.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

They were thick pork chops and like my chicken, I want my pork completely
free of any hint of pink. Beef steaks such as a NY strip is great cooked
medium rare, but everything else cooked thoroughly. After an hour and a
bare simmer the pork chops were fork tender.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 6:44:16 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:

> Cream of mushroom soup is also good for oven braising beef tongue. First of course you need to simmer until tender. Cool. Peel. Fry in butter then into the oven with the COMS.

I've never had beef tongue nor anywhere that serves it. I did read a recipe
once on how to prepare it; I'll pass on ever attempting that dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 8:19:54 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> Sear on high heat, add the mush soup, cover and
> simmer for a long while. The resulting gravy taste (mush soup
> mixed with pork) is to die for. They should just can and sell
> that for a gravy.

A spoon of that gravy over the mashed potatoes was truly lip smacking good,
too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 10:49:21 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> That's a sad way to treat thick center cut pork loin chops... they
> don't contain enough internal fat to handle braising without becoming
> like shoe leather.

I would have loved to have had these chops done on the charcoal grill but
with the temperature sitting at 95° I did not want to feel like I was on
that grill grate with those chops.

> Would be far better to braise shoulder chops, in
> canned crushed tomatoes is how I make pasta sauce.

No thank you.

> It's got to be
> some sixty years since I've eaten any condensed Campbells soup (school
> lunchroom), that's an ingredient for those who can't cook. Can't take
> 15 minutes to cook up a flavorful roux... canned 'shrooms are far
> better than those mouse droppings Campbells call mushrooms.

I had no canned nor fresh mushrooms at my disposable. Sometimes we gotta
make do with what we have and Campbell's it was. Damn good too, if I say
so myself.

Every meal does not have to be some completely from scratch, show stopping,
elaborate effort.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"> wrote:

> I've never had beef tongue nor anywhere that serves it. I did read a recipe
> once on how to prepare it; I'll pass on ever attempting that dish.

My mom cooked it occasionally. I cooked it in the seventies. The meat
is great, but the tongue scared my wife. Now, I can't find it where I
shop, or I'd horrify her again. The meat near the tip of the tongue has
a snappy firmness to it. The rest is boiled beef ;-)
I can't see it failing as a pot roast, although I've never done that.
Of course, you have to strip away the tongue skin after cooking, but it
comes off easy. These memories are from my distant past, but I like
tongue. It's a muscle. It ain't like brains, kidneys, liver,
sweetbreads or chitlins. That's when I resemble my wife. Ewwwww!

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 19:46:07 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell

"> wrote:

>> I've never had beef tongue nor anywhere that serves it. I did read a recipe
>> once on how to prepare it; I'll pass on ever attempting that dish.

>My mom cooked it occasionally. I cooked it in the seventies. The meat
>is great, but the tongue scared my wife. Now, I can't find it where I
>shop, or I'd horrify her again. The meat near the tip of the tongue has
>a snappy firmness to it. The rest is boiled beef ;-)
>I can't see it failing as a pot roast, although I've never done that.
>Of course, you have to strip away the tongue skin after cooking, but it
>comes off easy. These memories are from my distant past, but I like
>tongue. It's a muscle. It ain't like brains, kidneys, liver,
>sweetbreads or chitlins. That's when I resemble my wife. Ewwwww!

Please don't mention sweetbread or I'll start eating meat again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 9:46:13 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >,
> "> wrote:
>
> > I've never had beef tongue nor anywhere that serves it. I did read a recipe
> > once on how to prepare it; I'll pass on ever attempting that dish.

> My mom cooked it occasionally. I cooked it in the seventies. The meat
> is great, but the tongue scared my wife. Now, I can't find it where I
> shop, or I'd horrify her again. The meat near the tip of the tongue has
> a snappy firmness to it.

EEEK!

> The rest is boiled beef ;-)
> I can't see it failing as a pot roast, although I've never done that.
> Of course, you have to strip away the tongue skin after cooking, but it
> comes off easy.

Yes, that's what I remember of the recipe I saw. The tongue skin has to be
stripped away. *Shudder*

> These memories are from my distant past, but I like
> tongue. It's a muscle. It ain't like brains, kidneys, liver,
> sweetbreads or chitlins. That's when I resemble my wife. Ewwwww!
>
> leo

I like liver, but you can give the rest of those cuts you mentioned to the
dog!

P.S. Have you seen the movie "True Grit" with Jeff Bridges? In part of the
movie he says to the girl (I think it was her) "I'd give ______ (X amount of
dollars) for a pickled buffalo tongue"? Oookkkkkk..........
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"> wrote:

> P.S. Have you seen the movie "True Grit" with Jeff Bridges? In part of the
> movie he says to the girl (I think it was her) "I'd give ______ (X amount of
> dollars) for a pickled buffalo tongue"? Oookkkkkk..........

I did see that. It is one of the few remakes that I've thought was as
good or better than the original. Glen Campbell suuucked as an
antagonist in the original. He couldn't be antagonistic on his worst
day. Love, love, love his music though.
Bridges did as well as Wayne. Whoever played Kim Darby's part did as
well as she did. "Bold words from a one-eyed fat man" and "Fill your
hand, you son of a bitch" survived unscathed in the remake.
I don't remember the pickled buffalo tongue line though.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 22, 2019 at 12:34:08 AM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >,
> "> wrote:
>
> > P.S. Have you seen the movie "True Grit" with Jeff Bridges? In part of the
> > movie he says to the girl (I think it was her) "I'd give ______ (X amount of
> > dollars) for a pickled buffalo tongue"? Oookkkkkk..........

> I did see that. It is one of the few remakes that I've thought was as
> good or better than the original. Glen Campbell suuucked as an
> antagonist in the original. He couldn't be antagonistic on his worst
> day. Love, love, love his music though.
> Bridges did as well as Wayne. Whoever played Kim Darby's part did as
> well as she did. "Bold words from a one-eyed fat man" and "Fill your
> hand, you son of a bitch" survived unscathed in the remake.
> I don't remember the pickled buffalo tongue line though.
>
> leo

They're out on the trail of Tom Chaney and I can't remember if Matt Dillon
was still with them or had went off on his on when he made the statement.
This version is pretty much true to the book with only one or two exceptions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 22:33:59 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell

"> wrote:

>> P.S. Have you seen the movie "True Grit" with Jeff Bridges? In part of the
>> movie he says to the girl (I think it was her) "I'd give ______ (X amount of
>> dollars) for a pickled buffalo tongue"? Oookkkkkk..........

>I did see that. It is one of the few remakes that I've thought was as
>good or better than the original. Glen Campbell suuucked as an
>antagonist in the original. He couldn't be antagonistic on his worst
>day. Love, love, love his music though.

I only know Rhinestone Cowboy. I sometimes play it for laughs. I then
get dirty looks from my wife.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 22, 2019 at 12:51:58 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> I only know Rhinestone Cowboy. I sometimes play it for laughs. I then
> get dirty looks from my wife.

If you get the chance, watch the 2010 movie "True Grit." Sorry, no Glenn
Campbell in this remake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 22:55:31 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Thursday, August 22, 2019 at 12:51:58 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> I only know Rhinestone Cowboy. I sometimes play it for laughs. I then
>> get dirty looks from my wife.
>>

>If you get the chance, watch the 2010 movie "True Grit." Sorry, no Glenn
>Campbell in this remake.

It's got a pretty high IMDB rating:
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403865/reference>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Bruce
> wrote:

> It's got a pretty high IMDB rating:
> <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403865/reference>

Holy ****, it was a Coen brothers movie! I didn't know that. No wonder
it was good!

Don Leonardo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 4:46:13 PM UTC-10, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> "> wrote:
>
> > I've never had beef tongue nor anywhere that serves it. I did read a recipe
> > once on how to prepare it; I'll pass on ever attempting that dish.

> My mom cooked it occasionally. I cooked it in the seventies. The meat
> is great, but the tongue scared my wife. Now, I can't find it where I
> shop, or I'd horrify her again. The meat near the tip of the tongue has
> a snappy firmness to it. The rest is boiled beef ;-)
> I can't see it failing as a pot roast, although I've never done that.
> Of course, you have to strip away the tongue skin after cooking, but it
> comes off easy. These memories are from my distant past, but I like
> tongue. It's a muscle. It ain't like brains, kidneys, liver,
> sweetbreads or chitlins. That's when I resemble my wife. Ewwwww!
>
> leo

My son likes that kind of stuff. He'll order stuff like intestines, heart, and tongue, at the Korean yakiniku place. I've tried all of that stuff he orders. The intestines are too chewy - you just have to chew, chew, chew. Heart has a strange iron taste to it. I'll have to pass on those. The tongue is not bad. I eat that when he gets it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 9:18:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 6:44:16 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
> >
> > Cream of mushroom soup is also good for oven braising beef tongue. First of course you need to simmer until tender. Cool. Peel. Fry in butter then into the oven with the COMS.
> >

> I've never had beef tongue nor anywhere that serves it. I did read a recipe
> once on how to prepare it; I'll pass on ever attempting that dish.

I had beef tongue Korean barbecue once. It was... interesting.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 9:18:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 6:44:16 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
> >
> > Cream of mushroom soup is also good for oven braising beef tongue. First of course you need to simmer until tender. Cool. Peel. Fry in butter then into the oven with the COMS.
> >

> I've never had beef tongue nor anywhere that serves it. I did read a recipe
> once on how to prepare it; I'll pass on ever attempting that dish.

It's a variety meat, so one would think that you could get it at a price. That's not so. A grocery store here carries it, and the last time I checked (a few years ago) it was $6.99lb. CD. Not at all a bargain. It's probably more pricey now.
It's quite good, with a nice texture. It needs careful trimming.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> Years ago when it was very cheap and we were poor, I used to order a
> fresh raw tongue from the butcher. Cooking and preparing it is much
> easier than you might think, and the result is tender delicious meat.

I'm surprised that chicken livers still sell so cheap. I love the
things but guess not many other people do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 03:03:46 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 9:18:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 6:44:16 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
>> >
>> > Cream of mushroom soup is also good for oven braising beef tongue. First of course you need to simmer until tender. Cool. Peel. Fry in butter then into the oven with the COMS.
>> >

>> I've never had beef tongue nor anywhere that serves it. I did read a recipe
>> once on how to prepare it; I'll pass on ever attempting that dish.

>I had beef tongue Korean barbecue once. It was... interesting.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Ever you find yourself at a Kosher Jewish Deli order a tongue on rye:
https://search.aol.com/aol/image;_yl... =loki-keyword
Or prepare your own:
https://www.myjewishlearning.com/rec...d-beef-tongue/