Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Produce problems in your area?

A Moose in Love wrote:
> Top sirloin at Sobey's is on special for $4.99 lb. Same price as brussel sprouts.

Hmmmm... decisions, decisions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Are things this bad in your area? Or is it just here? I've been resorting to
> buying frozen stuff, especially for stir fries.

Nothing wrong with frozen. Next best thing to fresh.
I do realize that you often like to eat veggies raw though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I love celery and I do eat it and use it in cooking
> but juicing allows me to consume more of it. I don't have a juicer. I chop
> three ribs, put it in a cup of water, then strain and drink over ice. I do
> not use cheesecloth as recommended to strain. I pour it through a scoop with
> holes in it so I am getting some of the pulp.

Sounds like you're NOT getting much celery nutrition that
way...just water plus a bare essence.

Just me but, in this situation, I would put those 3 ribs and the
cup of water into a blender and puree it all. Naturally, do
several batches all at once, then just drink a cup full at a
time.
You would need some layers of cheesecloth for this but that's
inexpensive.

What won't work about that?

Alt method: Put lots of cut celery and water in a crock pot and
let it simmer to extract most of the celery nutrition. Cool, then
drink. Or even drink it hot.

I make broccoli tea occasionally. It's delicious and nutritious.
I've tried that with other vegetables but only broccoli tea
shines.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 8:19:40 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> A Moose in Love wrote:
> > Top sirloin at Sobey's is on special for $4.99 lb. Same price as brussel sprouts.

> Hmmmm... decisions, decisions.

I'll take the Brussels sprouts. Not a big fan of top sirloin.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 16:02:17 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 8:56:26 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> I'm certain that the climate is changing but so impeceptively and
>> slowly that no one has noticed any changes in over a thousand years.
>> What changes on a daily basis is weather... for as long as I'm here
>> each year's seasons have been eswsentially a duplicate of previous
>> year's. There's nothing humans can do on this planet to affect its
>> climate... only what occurs on our sun can affect climate. Anyone
>> talking climate change has to have gone comatose in the 4th grade...
>> that's about when the rudiments of our solar system is learned...
>> wasn't all that long ago when humans learned that this planet wasn't
>> flat and the planets were in solar orbit. Climate change is a
>> misnomer... anyone with a functioning brain says solar and atmospheric
>> change. Climate is a product of the polluting populations

>"There's nothing humans can do on this planet to affect its climate..."
>
>"Climate is a product of the polluting populations"
>
>That's goofy as hell.

I'm glad someone else noticed that :-))
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 8:19:40 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> > A Moose in Love wrote:
> > > Top sirloin at Sobey's is on special for $4.99 lb. Same price as brussel sprouts.

> > Hmmmm... decisions, decisions.

> I'll take the Brussels sprouts. Not a big fan of top sirloin.

Interesting. I like top sirloin. Not so tough and very flavorful.
Best burgers I ever made was using ground sirloin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 22:52:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> any of the parsleys should work too.
>>>

>>> songbird
>>>

>> She'll find a reason that won't work.

>It works. I am growing parsley. Just don't have a lot of it but have a lot
>of celery.

I know that you are not growing celery, you are buying it, you can buy
parsley as well.
Most celery sold in the US is grown in central CA. Celery is
relatively expensive because growing it is labor intensive. Celery is
a very fussy plant. Growing celery requires an optimal climate, needs
full sun but needs to be shaded for part of each day, proper
irrigation is important, and requires labor intensive blanching. I've
tried growing celery without much luck, NY is too far north with too
sshort a growing season. However parsley is easy to grow. I prefer
curley leaf parsley (it's sweeter). I plant parsely by the back door,
only a few steps from the kitchen... just checked and it's almost
ready to start harvesting... just pinch off a few larger sprigs, it'll
keep producing up until the first hard frost. Parsley is a biennial,
means it'll begin growing again come next spring but won't taste the
same, becomes bitter... best to replant each spring. We buy a small
flat of seedlings, six plants produce more than we can use. Most goes
into salads some is cooked in stewps, some is ground into meat loaf.
We eat the stems as well, grinding makes it easy and quick to mince
parsley... same with celery, carrots. onions, potatoes. Celery/carrots
make good pushers, I like to grind in a couple of raw potatoes as a
binder rather than use a lot of crumbs. makes a moist meat loaf. When
I want potato latkas/pudding/kugel, I grind the potatoes, sure beats
grating.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 22:58:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 15:15:37 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I drink it in the morning before I eat. Really helps with my digestion.

>> Celery has the highest concentration of nitrates of any food.
>> You'd be better off drinking a pound of bacon than 5 ounces of
>> celery juice.

>Proof?

Eat a pound of bacon each morning and your clothes won't fit, you'll
have a dwarf's ass.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 05:02:27 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 15:13:56 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I love celery and I do eat it and use it in cooking
>>> but juicing allows me to consume more of it. I don't have a juicer. I chop
>>> three ribs, put it in a cup of water, then strain and drink over ice. I do
>>> not use cheesecloth as recommended to strain. I pour it through a scoop with
>>> holes in it so I am getting some of the pulp.

>> That's ridiculous. No doubt you got that from one of your kook
>> sires or your kook doctors.
>>
>> -sw

>Its the latest and greatest thing now. Here you go:
>
>https://www.amazon.com/Medical-Mediu.../dp/140195765X

Juicing celery is stupid when you can simply eat raw celery by the
stalk. Tastes extra good soaked in bloody marys, or stuffed with
blue cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 06:19:19 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 8:19:40 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> A Moose in Love wrote:
>> > Top sirloin at Sobey's is on special for $4.99 lb. Same price as brussel sprouts.

>> Hmmmm... decisions, decisions.

>I'll take the Brussels sprouts. Not a big fan of top sirloin.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I've never seen Brussels sprouts higher than $3/lb... out on the east
end of Lung Guyland an entire stalk sells for $4.,, that's like 3
pounds of sprouts. I grow Brussels sprouts, they grow well here,
however it's time consuming cutting them off and cleaning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 08:20:29 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Are things this bad in your area? Or is it just here? I've been resorting to
>> buying frozen stuff, especially for stir fries.

>Nothing wrong with frozen. Next best thing to fresh.
>I do realize that you often like to eat veggies raw though.

We grow a lot of produce and we also eat frozen, canned too. I don't
remember ever seeing frozen celery.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 12:49:58 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> We grow a lot of produce and we also eat frozen, canned too. I don't
> remember ever seeing frozen celery.

The only time I've seen frozen celery is in vegetable soup mix or mirepoix.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 08:21:30 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I love celery and I do eat it and use it in cooking
>> but juicing allows me to consume more of it. I don't have a juicer. I chop
>> three ribs, put it in a cup of water, then strain and drink over ice. I do
>> not use cheesecloth as recommended to strain. I pour it through a scoop with
>> holes in it so I am getting some of the pulp.

>Sounds like you're NOT getting much celery nutrition that
>way...just water plus a bare essence.
>
>Just me but, in this situation, I would put those 3 ribs and the
>cup of water into a blender and puree it all. Naturally, do
>several batches all at once, then just drink a cup full at a
>time.
>You would need some layers of cheesecloth for this but that's
>inexpensive.
>
>What won't work about that?
>
>Alt method: Put lots of cut celery and water in a crock pot and
>let it simmer to extract most of the celery nutrition. Cool, then
>drink. Or even drink it hot.
>
>I make broccoli tea occasionally. It's delicious and nutritious.
>I've tried that with other vegetables but only broccoli tea
>shines.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply eat celery raw? I eat celery raw all
the time, I cut off the bottom white parts to eat raqw and the dark
green and leaves is used cooked or chopped into salads. This week
broccoli crowns are 99/lb. Nuked half to have with dinner last
night, the remaider will be left raw for a tossed salad. I will never
be convinced to juice produce, doesn't eating raw or cooked in soups
supply 100% of the nutrition? I know people who buy carrot juice and
have never thought of eating a raw carrot... carrot cake is more
nutritious and tastes better than carrot juice... a juicer removes the
fiber... then the imbeciles put it in the trash... at leat compost it
for the garden... oh, they are too unhealthy to maintain a garden.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 11:42:34 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Hmmmm... decisions, decisions.

> > I'll take the Brussels sprouts. Not a big fan of top sirloin.

> Interesting. I like top sirloin. Not so tough and very flavorful.
> Best burgers I ever made was using ground sirloin.

I find it tough. I prefer New York strip or ribeye.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

wrote:

> On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 12:49:58 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > We grow a lot of produce and we also eat frozen, canned too. I don't
> > remember ever seeing frozen celery.
> >

> The only time I've seen frozen celery is in vegetable soup mix or mirepoix.

Yep, it's sold dried too, but it sucks, IIRC I inquired about it some time ago, Sheldon told me not to waste my money, and that is correct. I used a bit but then dumped it...useless...

I'll freeze diced celery from time to time, but fresh is indeed best...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 1:14:26 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > The only time I've seen frozen celery is in vegetable soup mix or mirepoix.

> Yep, it's sold dried too, but it sucks, IIRC I inquired about it some time ago, Sheldon told me not to waste my money, and that is correct. I used a bit but then dumped it...useless...
>
> I'll freeze diced celery from time to time, but fresh is indeed best...
>
> Best
> Greg

I've never seen it dried and frankly, it doesn't sound very appealing. I have
used celery seed in place of the stalks if none is on hand. But I'd stay
away from celery salt as it's mainly salt.

Celery seed is quite good in tuna salad even if chopped celery is used as well
as cornbread dressing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2019 2:13 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 11:42:34 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I'll take the Brussels sprouts. Not a big fan of top sirloin.

>> Interesting. I like top sirloin. Not so tough and very flavorful.
>> Best burgers I ever made was using ground sirloin.

> I find it tough. I prefer New York strip or ribeye.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I find ground sirloin tough. It doesn't contain enough fat for burgers.
I much prefer ground chuck. Top sirloin as a roast also tends to be
dry, IMHO. Again, I prefer chuck roast. I've never ground a NY strip
or ribeye.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 3:04:58 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/13/2019 2:13 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Interesting. I like top sirloin. Not so tough and very flavorful.
> >> Best burgers I ever made was using ground sirloin.

> > I find it tough. I prefer New York strip or ribeye.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> I find ground sirloin tough. It doesn't contain enough fat for burgers.
> I much prefer ground chuck. Top sirloin as a roast also tends to be
> dry, IMHO. Again, I prefer chuck roast. I've never ground a NY strip
> or ribeye.
>
> Jill

I wasn't talking about burgers, but steaks. I prefer ground chuck for
burgers. Ground sirloin doesn't have enough fat.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2019 3:57 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 3:04:58 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I find it tough. I prefer New York strip or ribeye.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> I find ground sirloin tough. It doesn't contain enough fat for burgers.
>> I much prefer ground chuck. Top sirloin as a roast also tends to be
>> dry, IMHO. Again, I prefer chuck roast. I've never ground a NY strip
>> or ribeye.
>>
>> Jill

> I wasn't talking about burgers, but steaks. I prefer ground chuck for
> burgers. Ground sirloin doesn't have enough fat.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I know. It was Gary who said he likes ground sirloin for burgers. Like
you, I prefer ground chuck.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 4:22:21 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/13/2019 3:57 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I find ground sirloin tough. It doesn't contain enough fat for burgers.
> >> I much prefer ground chuck. Top sirloin as a roast also tends to be
> >> dry, IMHO. Again, I prefer chuck roast. I've never ground a NY strip
> >> or ribeye.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > I wasn't talking about burgers, but steaks. I prefer ground chuck for
> > burgers. Ground sirloin doesn't have enough fat.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> I know. It was Gary who said he likes ground sirloin for burgers. Like
> you, I prefer ground chuck.
>
> Jill

We had burgers today. Ground round was on sale, cheaper than chuck.
For the small amount of meat I got, I should have bought the chuck.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 1:32:12 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

>> > That's ridiculous. No doubt you got that from one of your kook
>> > sires or your kook doctors.

>> Nope.
>>
>> https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20355787
>>
>> There is a test for it you know. Very common in diabetics.

> I got tested for it. They gave me a radioactive egg sandwich to eat.
> Then they filmed my innards digesting the food. Yes I've got
> gastroparesis. Bad scene. Eating fibre is not a good thing, however I do
> eat it, just not too much.

Yep. Mine was done via endoscopy because I can't have egg.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I love celery and I do eat it and use it in cooking
>> but juicing allows me to consume more of it. I don't have a juicer. I
>> chop
>> three ribs, put it in a cup of water, then strain and drink over ice. I
>> do
>> not use cheesecloth as recommended to strain. I pour it through a scoop
>> with
>> holes in it so I am getting some of the pulp.

> Sounds like you're NOT getting much celery nutrition that
> way...just water plus a bare essence.
>
> Just me but, in this situation, I would put those 3 ribs and the
> cup of water into a blender and puree it all. Naturally, do
> several batches all at once, then just drink a cup full at a
> time.
> You would need some layers of cheesecloth for this but that's
> inexpensive.
>
> What won't work about that?
>
> Alt method: Put lots of cut celery and water in a crock pot and
> let it simmer to extract most of the celery nutrition. Cool, then
> drink. Or even drink it hot.
>
> I make broccoli tea occasionally. It's delicious and nutritious.
> I've tried that with other vegetables but only broccoli tea
> shines.

I want a cold drink and they say that it needs to be consumed while fresh. I
do have dried celery that I was going to use to make tea. Never got around
to it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 08:21:30 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I love celery and I do eat it and use it in cooking
>>> but juicing allows me to consume more of it. I don't have a juicer. I
>>> chop
>>> three ribs, put it in a cup of water, then strain and drink over ice. I
>>> do
>>> not use cheesecloth as recommended to strain. I pour it through a scoop
>>> with
>>> holes in it so I am getting some of the pulp.

>>Sounds like you're NOT getting much celery nutrition that
>>way...just water plus a bare essence.
>>
>>Just me but, in this situation, I would put those 3 ribs and the
>>cup of water into a blender and puree it all. Naturally, do
>>several batches all at once, then just drink a cup full at a
>>time.
>>You would need some layers of cheesecloth for this but that's
>>inexpensive.
>>
>>What won't work about that?
>>
>>Alt method: Put lots of cut celery and water in a crock pot and
>>let it simmer to extract most of the celery nutrition. Cool, then
>>drink. Or even drink it hot.
>>
>>I make broccoli tea occasionally. It's delicious and nutritious.
>>I've tried that with other vegetables but only broccoli tea
>>shines.

> Wouldn't it be easier to simply eat celery raw? I eat celery raw all
> the time, I cut off the bottom white parts to eat raqw and the dark
> green and leaves is used cooked or chopped into salads. This week
> broccoli crowns are 99/lb. Nuked half to have with dinner last
> night, the remaider will be left raw for a tossed salad. I will never
> be convinced to juice produce, doesn't eating raw or cooked in soups
> supply 100% of the nutrition? I know people who buy carrot juice and
> have never thought of eating a raw carrot... carrot cake is more
> nutritious and tastes better than carrot juice... a juicer removes the
> fiber... then the imbeciles put it in the trash... at leat compost it
> for the garden... oh, they are too unhealthy to maintain a garden.

I do eat it raw but the juice is supposed to help fatty liver, which I have.
Have been juicing now for a month or two and my liver profile is in range
and that area is less bloated than it once was.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Jinx the Minx" > wrote in message
>> Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> That's ridiculous.* No doubt you got that* from one of your kook
>>> sires or your kook doctors.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Itâs the latest and greatest âœthing❠now. Here you go:
>>

>> https://www.amazon.com/Medical-Mediu.../dp/140195765X
>>

> Yep. Got it from that book too. Lots of good info. but also some
> quackery, IMO. However I know how I feel when drinking the juice and
> my liver panel is now in range. Hasn't been for years so I'm going
> to keep on doing it.

Just to be sure it's working, shouldn't you send off a hair sample
weekly for lab analysis?

I take some monoclonal antibody drugs, so must be careful too.
Doctor requires blood tests for liver function every 3 months. I
also have to take folic acid because of methotrexate. They never
told me about celery though. And they never analyzed my hair. Do you
think I should demand a hair analysis?

I used to live very near where you are, so I'm wondering if there is
something in the water there, possibly flowing down from the Hanford
reactor site, where the first plutonium was generated.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message

>>> Sounds like you're NOT getting much celery nutrition that
>>> way...just water plus a bare essence.
>>>
>>> Just me but, in this situation, I would put those 3 ribs and the
>>> cup of water into a blender and puree it all. Naturally, do
>>> several batches all at once, then just drink a cup full at a
>>> time.
>>> You would need some layers of cheesecloth for this but that's
>>> inexpensive.
>>>
>>> What won't work about that?*
>>>
>>> Alt method: Put lots of cut celery and water in a crock pot and
>>> let it simmer to extract most of the celery nutrition. Cool, then
>>> drink. Or even drink it hot.
>>>
>>> I make broccoli tea occasionally. It's delicious and nutritious.
>>> I've tried that with other vegetables but only broccoli tea
>>> shines.

>> Wouldn't it be easier to simply eat celery raw?* I eat celery raw all
>> the time, I cut off the bottom white parts to eat raqw and the dark
>> green and leaves is used cooked or chopped into salads.* This week
>> broccoli crowns are 99/lb.* Nuked half to have with dinner last
>> night, the remaider will be left raw for a tossed salad.* I will
>> never
>> be convinced to juice produce, doesn't eating raw or cooked in soups
>> supply 100% of the nutrition?* I know people who buy carrot juice and
>> have never thought of eating a raw carrot... carrot cake is more
>> nutritious and tastes better than carrot juice... a juicer removes
>> the
>> fiber... then the imbeciles put it in the trash... at leat compost it
>> for the garden... oh, they are too unhealthy to maintain a garden.

> I do eat it raw but the juice is supposed to help fatty liver, which
> I have. Have been juicing now for a month or two and my liver
> profile is in range and that area is less bloated than it once was.

If yoose want to excercise yoose liver, I reccomend 100 proof
crystal palace. Popeye will agree that it is the finest booze on the
planet. Yoose can buy it in liquor stores cheaply by the case, as
Popeye does.

It will tickle yoose liver, and make it stand up and say Howdy.

Yoose will feel like a new wimmens and sing "Blow the man down".

Make yoose kick yoose gardner's ass. Yo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hank Rogers" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Itâs the latest and greatest âœthing❠now. Here you go:
>>>

>>> https://www.amazon.com/Medical-Mediu.../dp/140195765X

>> Yep. Got it from that book too. Lots of good info. but also some
>> quackery, IMO. However I know how I feel when drinking the juice and my
>> liver panel is now in range. Hasn't been for years so I'm going to keep
>> on doing it.

> Just to be sure it's working, shouldn't you send off a hair sample weekly
> for lab analysis?
>
> I take some monoclonal antibody drugs, so must be careful too. Doctor
> requires blood tests for liver function every 3 months. I also have to
> take folic acid because of methotrexate. They never told me about celery
> though. And they never analyzed my hair. Do you think I should demand a
> hair analysis?
>
> I used to live very near where you are, so I'm wondering if there is
> something in the water there, possibly flowing down from the Hanford
> reactor site, where the first plutonium was generated.

My Drs. didn't tell me about the juice but since they saw my labs, they told
me to keep doing it.

The hair sample was for food intolerances. My last test for those was a
blood test. It showed a mild reaction to over 300 things, but it was mild
enough to be of no concern. Nothing was high enough to be of concern but
given my known reaction to eggs, I will not eat them again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 05:02:27 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
>>Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> That's ridiculous. No doubt you got that from one of your kook
>>> sires or your kook doctors.
>>>
>>> -sw

>>It's the latest and greatest "thing" now. Here you go:
>>
>>https://www.amazon.com/Medical-Mediu.../dp/140195765X

> Juicing celery is stupid when you can simply eat raw celery by the
> stalk. Tastes extra good soaked in bloody marys, or stuffed with
> blue cheese.

You can't eat much of it if you have to watch your fiber intake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 22:52:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> She'll find a reason that won't work.

>>It works. I am growing parsley. Just don't have a lot of it but have a lot
>>of celery.

> I know that you are not growing celery, you are buying it, you can buy
> parsley as well.
> Most celery sold in the US is grown in central CA. Celery is
> relatively expensive because growing it is labor intensive. Celery is
> a very fussy plant. Growing celery requires an optimal climate, needs
> full sun but needs to be shaded for part of each day, proper
> irrigation is important, and requires labor intensive blanching. I've
> tried growing celery without much luck, NY is too far north with too
> sshort a growing season. However parsley is easy to grow. I prefer
> curley leaf parsley (it's sweeter). I plant parsely by the back door,
> only a few steps from the kitchen... just checked and it's almost
> ready to start harvesting... just pinch off a few larger sprigs, it'll
> keep producing up until the first hard frost. Parsley is a biennial,
> means it'll begin growing again come next spring but won't taste the
> same, becomes bitter... best to replant each spring. We buy a small
> flat of seedlings, six plants produce more than we can use. Most goes
> into salads some is cooked in stewps, some is ground into meat loaf.
> We eat the stems as well, grinding makes it easy and quick to mince
> parsley... same with celery, carrots. onions, potatoes. Celery/carrots
> make good pushers, I like to grind in a couple of raw potatoes as a
> binder rather than use a lot of crumbs. makes a moist meat loaf. When
> I want potato latkas/pudding/kugel, I grind the potatoes, sure beats
> grating.

I'm growing the flat and curly parsley but in the house so I don't have
much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 08:20:29 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Are things this bad in your area? Or is it just here? I've been
>>> resorting to
>>> buying frozen stuff, especially for stir fries.

>>Nothing wrong with frozen. Next best thing to fresh.
>>I do realize that you often like to eat veggies raw though.

> We grow a lot of produce and we also eat frozen, canned too. I don't
> remember ever seeing frozen celery.

I never said that I buy frozen celery. I do buy dried though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"GM" > wrote in message

>> On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 12:49:58 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>> >
>> > We grow a lot of produce and we also eat frozen, canned too. I don't
>> > remember ever seeing frozen celery.
>> >

>> The only time I've seen frozen celery is in vegetable soup mix or
>> mirepoix.

> Yep, it's sold dried too, but it sucks, IIRC I inquired about it some time
> ago, Sheldon told me not to waste my money, and that is correct. I used a
> bit but then dumped it...useless...
>
> I'll freeze diced celery from time to time, but fresh is indeed best...

Fresh is best but I like the leaves for soup. The dried is mostly leaves.
It's fine in soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 05:02:27 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
>> > wrote:

>>> It's the latest and greatest "thing" now. Here you go:
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Medical-Mediu.../dp/140195765X
>>>

>> Juicing celery is stupid when you can simply eat raw celery by the
>> stalk.** Tastes extra good soaked in bloody marys, or stuffed with
>> blue cheese.

> You can't eat much of it if you have to watch your fiber intake.

Pay no attention to Popeye. He only shoves those celery stalks up
his butt. Sort of a sailor' buttplug.

He just gets bored when the mayan is away, working at the local
cathouse.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, tert in seattle
> wrote:

> I'm not sure how a person can argue with "the 10 warmest years on record
> have all occurred since 1998" - it's just data, and it needs to be taken
> seriously, not confused with this sunspots crap or whatever

Oh, that's easy! I lost my job in the late seventies to global cooling.
That made me a sceptic. The grand data points on whatever graph you're
selling have been collected by "climatologists" since then, when they
learned that being a compliant "climatologist" means big bucks from
taxpayer funding [government grants] if they can sell a program that
benefits the various governments. Keep the populace afraid, and control
them with blather and points on a questionable graph.
Climate change is ongoing since our planet first formed.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 23:36:57 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >, tert in seattle
> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure how a person can argue with "the 10 warmest years on record
>> have all occurred since 1998" - it's just data, and it needs to be taken
>> seriously, not confused with this sunspots crap or whatever

>Oh, that's easy! I lost my job in the late seventies to global cooling.
>That made me a sceptic. The grand data points on whatever graph you're
>selling have been collected by "climatologists" since then, when they
>learned that being a compliant "climatologist" means big bucks from
>taxpayer funding [government grants] if they can sell a program that
>benefits the various governments. Keep the populace afraid, and control
>them with blather and points on a questionable graph.
>Climate change is ongoing since our planet first formed.

But it's going very fast and it's very damaging. And if we're causing
it -which scientists say is the case- then we can also stop it.

Unfortunately, that's going to cost some money and the biggest
polluters -the US and China- hate spending money.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >, tert in seattle
> > wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure how a person can argue with "the 10 warmest years on record
> > have all occurred since 1998" - it's just data, and it needs to be taken
> > seriously, not confused with this sunspots crap or whatever

> Oh, that's easy! I lost my job in the late seventies to global cooling.
> That made me a sceptic. The grand data points on whatever graph you're
> selling have been collected by "climatologists" since then, when they
> learned that being a compliant "climatologist" means big bucks from
> taxpayer funding [government grants] if they can sell a program that
> benefits the various governments. Keep the populace afraid, and control
> them with blather and points on a questionable graph.
> Climate change is ongoing since our planet first formed.

--->>> APPLAUSE <<<---

Remember back in the late 70's or so all the Chicken Littles were braying about the coming "Global Cooling" crisis...IIRC by now we'd be in a new "Ice Age"...

The current "global warming" shtickle is just more leftist nonsense to hornswoggle more taxpayers outta their money...

Humans are puny, we have NO effect on "climate change"...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Bruce
> wrote:

< climate change>

> But it's going very fast and it's very damaging.

No, it's not!

> And if we're causing
> it -which scientists say is the case- then we can also stop it.

No, we can't! These scientists you speak of are venal quacks. A
climatologist is a modern palm reader with a PhD. Whoopee! Let's call
them overpaid and questionable graph extrapolators.

> Unfortunately, that's going to cost some money and the biggest
> polluters -the US and China- hate spending money.

Our "leaders" can't reverse a climatological trend by spending our
money. I wish that people took classes in charlatanism in high school.
You and I seem to be at a philosophical impasse, as always ;-)

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 17:08:36 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 23:36:57 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:
>
>>In article >, tert in seattle
> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure how a person can argue with "the 10 warmest years on record
>>> have all occurred since 1998" - it's just data, and it needs to be taken
>>> seriously, not confused with this sunspots crap or whatever

>>Oh, that's easy! I lost my job in the late seventies to global cooling.
>>That made me a sceptic. The grand data points on whatever graph you're
>>selling have been collected by "climatologists" since then, when they
>>learned that being a compliant "climatologist" means big bucks from
>>taxpayer funding [government grants] if they can sell a program that
>>benefits the various governments. Keep the populace afraid, and control
>>them with blather and points on a questionable graph.
>>Climate change is ongoing since our planet first formed.

>But it's going very fast and it's very damaging. And if we're causing
>it -which scientists say is the case- then we can also stop it.

I really don't think so. And it isn't really all that 'going fast',
either. Presumably you must have heard of a solution if you say it can
be stopped? If so, please let the world know what that is.

>Unfortunately, that's going to cost some money and the biggest
>polluters -the US and China- hate spending money.

Your logic/biases are very questionable at times.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, GM
> wrote:

> Remember back in the late 70's or so all the Chicken Littles were braying
> about the coming "Global Cooling" crisis...IIRC by now we'd be in a new "Ice
> Age"...

CFCs were "scientifically" shown to freeze us. Luckily, we got them
under control and climate change swung the other way quickly and
violently. I wonder if old-time aerosol sprays could reverse global
warming now? We have the ability! Do we have the will? Lobby your
congressman to bring back CFCs in full force. Now!
Caveat: There will be a minor increase in skin cancer, "they" think.
That's a cheap price to pay to cure global warming aka climate change.
;-)

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 00:45:50 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >, Bruce
> wrote:
>
>< climate change>
>
>> But it's going very fast and it's very damaging.

>No, it's not!

You seem to be unaware of what's happening.

>> And if we're causing
>> it -which scientists say is the case- then we can also stop it.

>No, we can't! These scientists you speak of are venal quacks. A
>climatologist is a modern palm reader with a PhD. Whoopee! Let's call
>them overpaid and questionable graph extrapolators.

The majority of the world's scientists are all quacks? I guess your
definition of a quack is someone who tells you things you don't want
to hear.

>> Unfortunately, that's going to cost some money and the biggest
>> polluters -the US and China- hate spending money.

>Our "leaders" can't reverse a climatological trend by spending our
>money.

They can if we're causing the trend.

>I wish that people took classes in charlatanism in high school.
>You and I seem to be at a philosophical impasse, as always ;-)

Yes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 18:07:22 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 17:08:36 +1000, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 23:36:57 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>>>Oh, that's easy! I lost my job in the late seventies to global cooling.
>>>That made me a sceptic. The grand data points on whatever graph you're
>>>selling have been collected by "climatologists" since then, when they
>>>learned that being a compliant "climatologist" means big bucks from
>>>taxpayer funding [government grants] if they can sell a program that
>>>benefits the various governments. Keep the populace afraid, and control
>>>them with blather and points on a questionable graph.
>>>Climate change is ongoing since our planet first formed.

>>But it's going very fast and it's very damaging. And if we're causing
>>it -which scientists say is the case- then we can also stop it.

>I really don't think so. And it isn't really all that 'going fast',
>either. Presumably you must have heard of a solution if you say it can
>be stopped? If so, please let the world know what that is.

Reduce CO2 emissions, switch to sustainable energy, that whole story.

>>Unfortunately, that's going to cost some money and the biggest
>>polluters -the US and China- hate spending money.

>Your logic/biases are very questionable at times.

That you question something doesn't necessarily mean it's questionable

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Bruce
> wrote:

> The majority of the world's scientists are all quacks? I guess your
> definition of a quack is someone who tells you things you don't want
> to hear.

No Boobaloo. The majority of the world's climatologists are quacks
shilling for a belief that you are swallowing whole. You've been told
that crap pumped into your head by "news organizations" is true as
well. True scientists produce repeatable results. Repeatable results
cannot be produced by prognostication.
You won't understand. Your entire belief system is spoon fed to you by
liars and shills. Think for yourself. Just this once. For me.
I'm glad that you're here to entertain me once again ;-)

leo

Spring produce Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 216 20-05-2016 12:21 AM
Best Produce Brooklyn1 General Cooking 4 08-04-2015 11:59 AM
Produce SCORE koko General Cooking 2 28-07-2014 07:25 AM
What to do with all this produce maxine in ri General Cooking 7 04-03-2006 03:12 AM
bagged produce wills mom Marketplace 0 09-11-2004 08:11 PM