Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Produce problems in your area?

I am having trouble finding good, fresh produce for a good price. The celery
seems to be good now but very expensive. That's being blamed for the very
reason I want it. To juice it. Juicing has become so trendy that stores are
sometimes selling out and having trouble keeping up with demand.

Winco told me they are having difficulty getting strawberries. They didn't
tell me why. They've been out the last few times I was in there. Their large
lemons were actually mushy and visibly rotting. The small ones and the limes
were fine. I have passed up buying summer squash, cucumbers and peppers
there because they were mushy. But this problem is not limited to Winco.
I've seen the same with all of these items at several other stores.

I gave up on going to the produce markets because there is so little local
stuff available. I blame our weather for that. We had a few hot days early
on then weather so chilly that I renamed this month Junuary. We've been
wearing winter clothes and coats. Today is supposed to reach 80 or so. Will
believe it when I see it. We've also had very little rain but a little ways
South of here, there was so much rain two days ago that there was flooding.
So far I only got one edible strawberry and it was tiny. I bought a mature
tomato plant with tomatoes on it but I doubt they will ripen. If they do, it
might not be until Sept.

Sometimes I do find good looking stuff but it's tiny and expensive. There's
a new bell pepper that is yellow and red but they are no bigger than a
baseball if that and $2.99 each. Winco has good prices on cilantro, parsley
and green onions but sometimes the cilantro isn't very fresh.

I feel like I'm starved for fresh produce. I did get some really good, tiny,
blue potatoes at Sprouts. The carrots have been good most everywhere. The
broccoli seems fine but we don't eat a lot of that. Apples? No problem. I am
Jonesing for more variety!

Are things this bad in your area? Or is it just here? I've been resorting to
buying frozen stuff, especially for stir fries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 3:23:51 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> I am having trouble finding good, fresh produce for a good price. The celery
> seems to be good now but very expensive. That's being blamed for the very
> reason I want it. To juice it. Juicing has become so trendy that stores are
> sometimes selling out and having trouble keeping up with demand.
>
> Winco told me they are having difficulty getting strawberries. They didn't
> tell me why. They've been out the last few times I was in there. Their large
> lemons were actually mushy and visibly rotting. The small ones and the limes
> were fine. I have passed up buying summer squash, cucumbers and peppers
> there because they were mushy. But this problem is not limited to Winco.
> I've seen the same with all of these items at several other stores.
>
> I gave up on going to the produce markets because there is so little local
> stuff available. I blame our weather for that. We had a few hot days early
> on then weather so chilly that I renamed this month Junuary. We've been
> wearing winter clothes and coats. Today is supposed to reach 80 or so. Will
> believe it when I see it. We've also had very little rain but a little ways
> South of here, there was so much rain two days ago that there was flooding.
> So far I only got one edible strawberry and it was tiny. I bought a mature
> tomato plant with tomatoes on it but I doubt they will ripen. If they do, it
> might not be until Sept.
>
> Sometimes I do find good looking stuff but it's tiny and expensive. There's
> a new bell pepper that is yellow and red but they are no bigger than a
> baseball if that and $2.99 each. Winco has good prices on cilantro, parsley
> and green onions but sometimes the cilantro isn't very fresh.
>
> I feel like I'm starved for fresh produce. I did get some really good, tiny,
> blue potatoes at Sprouts. The carrots have been good most everywhere. The
> broccoli seems fine but we don't eat a lot of that. Apples? No problem. I am
> Jonesing for more variety!
>
> Are things this bad in your area? Or is it just here? I've been resorting to
> buying frozen stuff, especially for stir fries.

No. The produce in the grocery store looks great and the prices don't
seem any higher than ever.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> Are things this bad in your area? Or is it just here? I've been resorting to
> buying frozen stuff, especially for stir fries.

where is here?

i've not noticed it being too horrible other than for
celery.

juicing is a waste of $.

most people need more fiber that is rough not all
ground to bits and if you want something to drink
have some water.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 8:12:05 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
> > Are things this bad in your area? Or is it just here? I've been resorting to
> > buying frozen stuff, especially for stir fries.

> where is here?
>
> i've not noticed it being too horrible other than for
> celery.
>
> juicing is a waste of $.
>
> most people need more fiber that is rough not all
> ground to bits and if you want something to drink
> have some water.
>

> songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Jul 2019 songbird wrote:
>Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Are things this bad in your area? Or is it just here? I've been resorting to
>> buying frozen stuff, especially for stir fries.

> where is here?
>
> i've not noticed it being too horrible other than for
>celery.

The quality and price of celery varies by season, same with all
produce. I find our local market has good to excellent produce all
the time. Sometimes celery bunches are a bit on the small side with
narrow stalks but it's still good for most uses. I enjoy celery raw
but I also like it braised. I also use a lot of celery in stirfrys.

> juicing is a waste of $.
>
> most people need more fiber that is rough not all
>ground to bits and if you want something to drink
>have some water.
>
> songbird

Agreed, juicing produce is a total waste. It's smarter to braise it
or add to soups... when I braise produce I also consume the braising
liquid... otherwise it's like throwing the baby out with the bath
water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 2:23:51 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> I am having trouble finding good, fresh produce for a good price.

Yeah, this Climate Change thing is a real bitch, eh?

John kuthe, Climate Anarchist and What Ya Gonna Do About It?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 12:59:06 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 2:23:51 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> > I am having trouble finding good, fresh produce for a good price.

> Yeah, this Climate Change thing is a real bitch, eh?

Apparently, the climate is changing only in Bothell, WA. Nobody
else is having any trouble finding produce.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 1:04:45 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 12:59:06 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> > On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 2:23:51 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> > > I am having trouble finding good, fresh produce for a good price.

> > Yeah, this Climate Change thing is a real bitch, eh?

> Apparently, the climate is changing only in Bothell, WA. Nobody
> else is having any trouble finding produce.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

We've got lots of produce here. Although some stores are pricey. Sobey's our nearest store has brussel sprouts on for $4.99 CDN lb. Cauliflower for $5.99 per head. Yet when I walk up about 5 minutes past there, I can get cauliflower for 2 heads for $5.00. Top sirloin at Sobey's is on special for $4.99 lb. Same price as brussel sprouts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Jul 2019 Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>On July 12, 2019 John Kuthe wrote:
>> On July 12, 2019 Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>> > I am having trouble finding good, fresh produce for a good price.

>> Yeah, this Climate Change thing is a real bitch, eh?

>Apparently, the climate is changing only in Bothell, WA. Nobody
>else is having any trouble finding produce.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I'm certain that the climate is changing but so impeceptively and
slowly that no one has noticed any changes in over a thousand years.
What changes on a daily basis is weather... for as long as I'm here
each year's seasons have been eswsentially a duplicate of previous
year's. There's nothing humans can do on this planet to affect its
climate... only what occurs on our sun can affect climate. Anyone
talking climate change has to have gone comatose in the 4th grade...
that's about when the rudiments of our solar system is learned...
wasn't all that long ago when humans learned that this planet wasn't
flat and the planets were in solar orbit. Climate change is a
misnomer... anyone with a functioning brain says solar and atmospheric
change. Climate is a product of the polluting populations
Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
>On 12 Jul 2019 Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Yeah, this Climate Change thing is a real bitch, eh?

>>Apparently, the climate is changing only in Bothell, WA. Nobody
>>else is having any trouble finding produce.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

>I'm certain that the climate is changing but so impeceptively and
>slowly that no one has noticed any changes in over a thousand years.
>What changes on a daily basis is weather... for as long as I'm here
>each year's seasons have been eswsentially a duplicate of previous
>year's. There's nothing humans can do on this planet to affect its
>climate... only what occurs on our sun can affect climate. Anyone
>talking climate change has to have gone comatose in the 4th grade...
>that's about when the rudiments of our solar system is learned...
>wasn't all that long ago when humans learned that this planet wasn't
>flat and the planets were in solar orbit. Climate change is a
>misnomer... anyone with a functioning brain says solar and atmospheric
>change. Climate is a product of the polluting populations

this isn't for Sheldon - nothing can penetrate the CP induced fog -
but there's a striking graph at the top of this article that shows the
history of global surface temperature since 1880

<https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-temperature>

the Highlights sidebar is a nice summary of how extreme things have become

I'm not sure how a person can argue with "the 10 warmest years on record
have all occurred since 1998" - it's just data, and it needs to be taken
seriously, not confused with this sunspots crap or whatever

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 3:20:06 PM UTC-4, tert in seattle wrote:
> writes:

> >>Apparently, the climate is changing only in Bothell, WA. Nobody
> >>else is having any trouble finding produce.
> >>
> >>Cindy Hamilton

> >I'm certain that the climate is changing but so impeceptively and
> >slowly that no one has noticed any changes in over a thousand years.
> >What changes on a daily basis is weather... for as long as I'm here
> >each year's seasons have been eswsentially a duplicate of previous
> >year's. There's nothing humans can do on this planet to affect its
> >climate... only what occurs on our sun can affect climate. Anyone
> >talking climate change has to have gone comatose in the 4th grade...
> >that's about when the rudiments of our solar system is learned...
> >wasn't all that long ago when humans learned that this planet wasn't
> >flat and the planets were in solar orbit. Climate change is a
> >misnomer... anyone with a functioning brain says solar and atmospheric
> >change. Climate is a product of the polluting populations

> this isn't for Sheldon - nothing can penetrate the CP induced fog -
> but there's a striking graph at the top of this article that shows the
> history of global surface temperature since 1880
>
> <https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-temperature>
>
> the Highlights sidebar is a nice summary of how extreme things have become
>
> I'm not sure how a person can argue with "the 10 warmest years on record
> have all occurred since 1998" - it's just data, and it needs to be taken
> seriously, not confused with this sunspots crap or whatever

I like this graph:

<https://www.xkcd.com/1732/>

He doesn't say where he got his data, but the abrupt change in the slope of
the graph is impressive.

One thing Sheldon just doesn't understand is that the climate/weather is
not entirely determined by the sun. Ocean currents have so much effect
on it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>> >I'm certain that the climate is changing but so impeceptively and
>> >slowly that no one has noticed any changes in over a thousand years.
>> >What changes on a daily basis is weather... for as long as I'm here
>> >each year's seasons have been eswsentially a duplicate of previous
>> >year's. There's nothing humans can do on this planet to affect its
>> >climate... only what occurs on our sun can affect climate. Anyone
>> >talking climate change has to have gone comatose in the 4th grade...
>> >that's about when the rudiments of our solar system is learned...
>> >wasn't all that long ago when humans learned that this planet wasn't
>> >flat and the planets were in solar orbit. Climate change is a
>> >misnomer... anyone with a functioning brain says solar and atmospheric
>> >change. Climate is a product of the polluting populations

>> this isn't for Sheldon - nothing can penetrate the CP induced fog -
>> but there's a striking graph at the top of this article that shows the
>> history of global surface temperature since 1880
>>

><https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-temperature>
>>
>> the Highlights sidebar is a nice summary of how extreme things have become
>>
>> I'm not sure how a person can argue with "the 10 warmest years on record
>> have all occurred since 1998" - it's just data, and it needs to be taken
>> seriously, not confused with this sunspots crap or whatever

>I like this graph:
>
><https://www.xkcd.com/1732/>
>
>He doesn't say where he got his data, but the abrupt change in the slope of
>the graph is impressive.
>
>One thing Sheldon just doesn't understand is that the climate/weather is
>not entirely determined by the sun. Ocean currents have so much effect
>on it.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

hmm... his information is a bit out of date - he's got humans reaching
N America about 5000 years late based on the current best guesses

it would be helpful to label the x-axis at the bottom of the graph, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> Are things this bad in your area? Or is it just here? I've been resorting
>> buying frozen stuff, especially for stir fries.

> where is here?
>
> i've not noticed it being too horrible other than for
> celery.
>
> juicing is a waste of $.
>
> most people need more fiber that is rough not all
> ground to bits and if you want something to drink
> have some water.

I'm not most people. If I were to eat what I wanted to, I would get more
than double the recommended amount of fiber per day. I have gastroparesis
(slowed digestion) from diabetes so I have to really be careful not to
overdo on the fiber. Even in cutting back, I still take in about what the
daily amount should be. I love celery and I do eat it and use it in cooking
but juicing allows me to consume more of it. I don't have a juicer. I chop
three ribs, put it in a cup of water, then strain and drink over ice. I do
not use cheesecloth as recommended to strain. I pour it through a scoop with
holes in it so I am getting some of the pulp.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On 12 Jul 2019 songbird wrote:
>>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> Are things this bad in your area? Or is it just here? I've been
>>> resorting to
>>> buying frozen stuff, especially for stir fries.

>> where is here?
>>
>> i've not noticed it being too horrible other than for
>>celery.

> The quality and price of celery varies by season, same with all
> produce. I find our local market has good to excellent produce all
> the time. Sometimes celery bunches are a bit on the small side with
> narrow stalks but it's still good for most uses. I enjoy celery raw
> but I also like it braised. I also use a lot of celery in stirfrys.
>
>> juicing is a waste of $.
>>
>> most people need more fiber that is rough not all
>>ground to bits and if you want something to drink
>>have some water.
>>
>> songbird

> Agreed, juicing produce is a total waste. It's smarter to braise it
> or add to soups... when I braise produce I also consume the braising
> liquid... otherwise it's like throwing the baby out with the bath
> water.

I drink it in the morning before I eat. Really helps with my digestion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 1:04:45 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 12:59:06 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> > On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 2:23:51 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> > > I am having trouble finding good, fresh produce for a good price.

> > Yeah, this Climate Change thing is a real bitch, eh?

> Apparently, the climate is changing only in Bothell, WA. Nobody
> else is having any trouble finding produce.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

We've got lots of produce here. Although some stores are pricey. Sobey's
our nearest store has brussel sprouts on for $4.99 CDN lb. Cauliflower for
$5.99 per head. Yet when I walk up about 5 minutes past there, I can get
cauliflower for 2 heads for $5.00. Top sirloin at Sobey's is on special for
$4.99 lb. Same price as brussel sprouts.

Same here. I can almost always get good organic carrots at the Walmart food
center and the price is far less than other places, but their green onions
are no bargain!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On 12 Jul 2019 Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Yeah, this Climate Change thing is a real bitch, eh?

>>Apparently, the climate is changing only in Bothell, WA. Nobody
>>else is having any trouble finding produce.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

> I'm certain that the climate is changing but so impeceptively and
> slowly that no one has noticed any changes in over a thousand years.
> What changes on a daily basis is weather... for as long as I'm here
> each year's seasons have been eswsentially a duplicate of previous
> year's. There's nothing humans can do on this planet to affect its
> climate... only what occurs on our sun can affect climate. Anyone
> talking climate change has to have gone comatose in the 4th grade...
> that's about when the rudiments of our solar system is learned...
> wasn't all that long ago when humans learned that this planet wasn't
> flat and the planets were in solar orbit. Climate change is a
> misnomer... anyone with a functioning brain says solar and atmospheric
> change. Climate is a product of the polluting populations

It stands to reason that it is changing and always is. I mean... Ice age and
all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Everyone knew as son as they read the subject who the author was,
> right?
>
> You have A Gardener, ferchristsakes. Make him grow vegetables.

It hasn't been warm enough! As I said, we had a few freak high temps early
on but the temps have just been too cold, too overcast and not enough sun. I
can only use pots/planters for crops. Aside from the fruit trees that make
shade, there isn't any good planting area. Part of my deck gets sun so I use
that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 12:19:10 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> It stands to reason that it is changing and always is. I mean... Ice age and
> all.

The Earth's climate has always been changing but humans aren't supposed to notice the change during their lifetime. The change in the weather in the last 20 years has been noticeable. The last 10 years have been positively alarming. If it keeps up, it's going to change everything, from our government, where people choose to live, and the foods we eat. My guess is that our republic will not survive a global temperature increase of 3 degrees.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 8:56:26 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> I'm certain that the climate is changing but so impeceptively and
> slowly that no one has noticed any changes in over a thousand years.
> What changes on a daily basis is weather... for as long as I'm here
> each year's seasons have been eswsentially a duplicate of previous
> year's. There's nothing humans can do on this planet to affect its
> climate... only what occurs on our sun can affect climate. Anyone
> talking climate change has to have gone comatose in the 4th grade...
> that's about when the rudiments of our solar system is learned...
> wasn't all that long ago when humans learned that this planet wasn't
> flat and the planets were in solar orbit. Climate change is a
> misnomer... anyone with a functioning brain says solar and atmospheric
> change. Climate is a product of the polluting populations

"There's nothing humans can do on this planet to affect its climate..."

"Climate is a product of the polluting populations"

That's goofy as hell.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-07-12 7:02 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 8:56:26 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> I'm certain that the climate is changing but so impeceptively and
>> slowly that no one has noticed any changes in over a thousand years.
>> What changes on a daily basis is weather... for as long as I'm here
>> each year's seasons have been eswsentially a duplicate of previous
>> year's. There's nothing humans can do on this planet to affect its
>> climate... only what occurs on our sun can affect climate. Anyone
>> talking climate change has to have gone comatose in the 4th grade...
>> that's about when the rudiments of our solar system is learned...
>> wasn't all that long ago when humans learned that this planet wasn't
>> flat and the planets were in solar orbit. Climate change is a
>> misnomer... anyone with a functioning brain says solar and atmospheric
>> change. Climate is a product of the polluting populations

> "There's nothing humans can do on this planet to affect its climate..."
>
> "Climate is a product of the polluting populations"
>
> That's goofy as hell.

I live in an area that has a deposit of sand and gravel that was left
behind about 15,000 years ago when the glaciers from the last ice age
started retreating. I don't doubt that the climate is changing, but I
have to wonder what happened 15,000 years ago to start melting the
glaciers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> I drink it in the morning before I eat. Really helps with my digestion.

any of the parsleys should work too.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 12:24:26 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 3:20:06 PM UTC-4, tert in seattle wrote:
>> writes:

>> >I'm certain that the climate is changing but so impeceptively and
>> >slowly that no one has noticed any changes in over a thousand years.
>> >What changes on a daily basis is weather... for as long as I'm here
>> >each year's seasons have been eswsentially a duplicate of previous
>> >year's. There's nothing humans can do on this planet to affect its
>> >climate... only what occurs on our sun can affect climate. Anyone
>> >talking climate change has to have gone comatose in the 4th grade...
>> >that's about when the rudiments of our solar system is learned...
>> >wasn't all that long ago when humans learned that this planet wasn't
>> >flat and the planets were in solar orbit. Climate change is a
>> >misnomer... anyone with a functioning brain says solar and atmospheric
>> >change. Climate is a product of the polluting populations

>> this isn't for Sheldon - nothing can penetrate the CP induced fog -
>> but there's a striking graph at the top of this article that shows the
>> history of global surface temperature since 1880
>>
>> <https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-temperature>
>>
>> the Highlights sidebar is a nice summary of how extreme things have become
>>
>> I'm not sure how a person can argue with "the 10 warmest years on record
>> have all occurred since 1998" - it's just data, and it needs to be taken
>> seriously, not confused with this sunspots crap or whatever

>I like this graph:
>
><https://www.xkcd.com/1732/>
>
>He doesn't say where he got his data, but the abrupt change in the slope of
>the graph is impressive.
>
>One thing Sheldon just doesn't understand is that the climate/weather is
>not entirely determined by the sun. Ocean currents have so much effect
>on it.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Imbecile... ocean currents are determined by the sun and also the moon
.... you are uneducated, extremely uneducated! I am absolutely
positive that you didn't graduate High School. Now you've proven you
never passed 5th grade. I actually doubt you ever passed
kindergarten finger painting. You are EXTREMELY UNEDUCATED!
Julie Bove is a PhD Physicist compared to you. I doubt you can cook
oatmeal..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 1:05:06 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-07-12 7:02 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> > On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 8:56:26 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm certain that the climate is changing but so impeceptively and
> >> slowly that no one has noticed any changes in over a thousand years.
> >> What changes on a daily basis is weather... for as long as I'm here
> >> each year's seasons have been eswsentially a duplicate of previous
> >> year's. There's nothing humans can do on this planet to affect its
> >> climate... only what occurs on our sun can affect climate. Anyone
> >> talking climate change has to have gone comatose in the 4th grade...
> >> that's about when the rudiments of our solar system is learned...
> >> wasn't all that long ago when humans learned that this planet wasn't
> >> flat and the planets were in solar orbit. Climate change is a
> >> misnomer... anyone with a functioning brain says solar and atmospheric
> >> change. Climate is a product of the polluting populations

> > "There's nothing humans can do on this planet to affect its climate..."
> >
> > "Climate is a product of the polluting populations"
> >
> > That's goofy as hell.
> >

> I live in an area that has a deposit of sand and gravel that was left
> behind about 15,000 years ago when the glaciers from the last ice age
> started retreating. I don't doubt that the climate is changing, but I
> have to wonder what happened 15,000 years ago to start melting the
> glaciers.

Beats me what causes the temperature of the planet to go up and down. I'm pretty sure though, that the global thermal-nuclear war caused by the geopolitical stresses of rapid climate change is going to cool down this planet pronto.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2019 3:24 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> <https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-temperature>
>>
>> the Highlights sidebar is a nice summary of how extreme things have become
>>
>> I'm not sure how a person can argue with "the 10 warmest years on record
>> have all occurred since 1998" - it's just data, and it needs to be taken
>> seriously, not confused with this sunspots crap or whatever

> I like this graph:
>
> <https://www.xkcd.com/1732/>
>
> He doesn't say where he got his data, but the abrupt change in the slope of
> the graph is impressive.
>
> One thing Sheldon just doesn't understand is that the climate/weather is
> not entirely determined by the sun. Ocean currents have so much effect
> on it.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Cutting millions of acres of rain forest may be a factor too.
https://rainforests.mongabay.com/fac...est-facts.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2019 1:04 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 12:59:06 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 2:23:51 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I am having trouble finding good, fresh produce for a good price.

>> Yeah, this Climate Change thing is a real bitch, eh?

> Apparently, the climate is changing only in Bothell, WA. Nobody
> else is having any trouble finding produce.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

It wasn't all that long ago she bitched about puny limp celery. Since
she also frequently mentions weather/temperature issues in Bothell, WA
it's entirely possible she's seeing things in stores that have been
trucked in way too early or too late for the growing season.

I see lots of lovely produce this time of year, much of it locally
grown. No complaints about prices, either.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2019 3:23 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I am having trouble finding good, fresh produce for a good price.

(snippage)

> Are things this bad in your area?

No.

> Or is it just here?

Probably.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2019 9:05 PM, songbird wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I drink it in the morning before I eat. Really helps with my digestion.

> any of the parsleys should work too.
>

> songbird

She'll find a reason that won't work.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 15:13:56 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I love celery and I do eat it and use it in cooking
>> but juicing allows me to consume more of it. I don't have a juicer. I chop
>> three ribs, put it in a cup of water, then strain and drink over ice. I do
>> not use cheesecloth as recommended to strain. I pour it through a scoop with
>> holes in it so I am getting some of the pulp.

> That's ridiculous. No doubt you got that from one of your kook
> sires or your kook doctors.
>
> -sw

Its the latest and greatest €śthing€ť now. Here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/Medical-Mediu.../dp/140195765X
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 15:13:56 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I love celery and I do eat it and use it in cooking
>> but juicing allows me to consume more of it. I don't have a juicer. I
>> chop
>> three ribs, put it in a cup of water, then strain and drink over ice. I
>> do
>> not use cheesecloth as recommended to strain. I pour it through a scoop
>> with
>> holes in it so I am getting some of the pulp.

> That's ridiculous. No doubt you got that from one of your kook
> sires or your kook doctors.

Nope.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20355787

There is a test for it you know. Very common in diabetics.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jinx the Minx" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 15:13:56 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I love celery and I do eat it and use it in cooking
>>> but juicing allows me to consume more of it. I don't have a juicer. I
>>> chop
>>> three ribs, put it in a cup of water, then strain and drink over ice. I
>>> do
>>> not use cheesecloth as recommended to strain. I pour it through a scoop
>>> with
>>> holes in it so I am getting some of the pulp.

>> That's ridiculous. No doubt you got that from one of your kook
>> sires or your kook doctors.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Its the latest and greatest €śthing€ť now. Here you go:
>

> https://www.amazon.com/Medical-Mediu.../dp/140195765X

Yep. Got it from that book too. Lots of good info. but also some quackery,
IMO. However I know how I feel when drinking the juice and my liver panel is
now in range. Hasn't been for years so I'm going to keep on doing it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I drink it in the morning before I eat. Really helps with my digestion.

> any of the parsleys should work too.

Yes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/12/2019 9:05 PM, songbird wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I drink it in the morning before I eat. Really helps with my digestion.

>> any of the parsleys should work too.
>>

>> songbird
>>

> She'll find a reason that won't work.

It works. I am growing parsley. Just don't have a lot of it but have a lot
of celery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 15:15:37 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I drink it in the morning before I eat. Really helps with my digestion.

> Celery has the highest concentration of nitrates of any food.
> You'd be better off drinking a pound of bacon than 5 ounces of
> celery juice.

Proof?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 12:19:10 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> It stands to reason that it is changing and always is. I mean... Ice age
> and
> all.

The Earth's climate has always been changing but humans aren't supposed to
notice the change during their lifetime. The change in the weather in the
last 20 years has been noticeable. The last 10 years have been positively
alarming. If it keeps up, it's going to change everything, from our
government, where people choose to live, and the foods we eat. My guess is
that our republic will not survive a global temperature increase of 3
degrees.

---

My dad said it's the Russians.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/12/2019 1:04 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah, this Climate Change thing is a real bitch, eh?

>> Apparently, the climate is changing only in Bothell, WA. Nobody
>> else is having any trouble finding produce.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> It wasn't all that long ago she bitched about puny limp celery. Since she
> also frequently mentions weather/temperature issues in Bothell, WA it's
> entirely possible she's seeing things in stores that have been trucked in
> way too early or too late for the growing season.
>
> I see lots of lovely produce this time of year, much of it locally grown.
> No complaints about prices, either.

There *was* a celery problem. Yakima Fruit confirmed it. I think it had to
do with cold weather in Canada. I assume *you* could get local stuff because
it has been warm there. We did have an 80 degree earlier but it has not been
very warm here. This summer is like how it used to be here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 1:32:12 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 15:13:56 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> >> I love celery and I do eat it and use it in cooking
> >> but juicing allows me to consume more of it. I don't have a juicer. I
> >> chop
> >> three ribs, put it in a cup of water, then strain and drink over ice. I
> >> do
> >> not use cheesecloth as recommended to strain. I pour it through a scoop
> >> with
> >> holes in it so I am getting some of the pulp.

> > That's ridiculous. No doubt you got that from one of your kook
> > sires or your kook doctors.

> Nope.
>
> https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20355787
>
> There is a test for it you know. Very common in diabetics.

I got tested for it. They gave me a radioactive egg sandwich to eat. Then they filmed my innards digesting the food. Yes I've got gastroparesis. Bad scene. Eating fibre is not a good thing, however I do eat it, just not too much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 7:59:28 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> The Earth's climate has always been changing but humans aren't supposed to
> notice the change during their lifetime. The change in the weather in the
> last 20 years has been noticeable. The last 10 years have been positively
> alarming. If it keeps up, it's going to change everything, from our
> government, where people choose to live, and the foods we eat. My guess is
> that our republic will not survive a global temperature increase of 3
> degrees.
>
> ---
>
> My dad said it's the Russians.

Your dad was probably right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdYGQ7B0Vew

Spring produce Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 216 20-05-2016 12:21 AM
Best Produce Brooklyn1 General Cooking 4 08-04-2015 11:59 AM
Produce SCORE koko General Cooking 2 28-07-2014 07:25 AM
What to do with all this produce maxine in ri General Cooking 7 04-03-2006 04:12 AM
bagged produce wills mom Marketplace 0 09-11-2004 09:11 PM