Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to open a baked potato (was: I have been here almost 5 months)

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 22:32:07 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >, Sqwertz
> > wrote:
>
>> ObFood: Made my best meatloaf ever tonight. I just "wung it" with
>> 50/50 pork/beef. And real baked beans from scratch.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/500qyrrn/Meatloaf-Potato-Beans.jpg

> I love the presentation of the potato. I'm going to do that. I'm
> guessing baked, scooped, doctored and put back in. It looks great. It
> doesn't look twice baked, but I may be wrong.
> I cook twice baked until they're golden on top, but I'm willing to
> learn.

I simply put a slice in the top and then squish in the ends so the
whole thing fluffs open. It kinda puffs open in layers and separates
from the skin so the butter gets all down in there. Waxy potatoes,
not so much. This is a russet.

This is how they do it all the restaurants, I believe. I looked for
videos that show, but I guess this is the closest - start at 1:00
into the video. **** that perforating with fork, just use a knife
to cut halfway down into the potato, 1/2" from each end of the
potato and then squish in the ends. And I only use the long
horizontal cut, not the shorter vertical cut.

https://youtu.be/lqLR4n50o6s

-sw

Baked red potato? KenK General Cooking 28 20-03-2015 01:51 PM
Twice Baked Potato koko General Cooking 76 16-12-2014 06:44 PM
Baked Potato Bar Tara General Cooking 71 19-11-2013 11:39 PM
MW baked potato Ken Knecht General Cooking 43 31-12-2006 03:29 AM
Baked Potato in Gas BBQ? Bobz General Cooking 5 14-07-2004 05:33 PM