Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Baked red potato?

A totally uninteresting esperiment in my oven, probably tomorrow. The
grocery had no Russet or Idaho potatoes so I got a couple of red potatoes
large enough for baking instead. Will try one tomorrow. Oddly, I've never
tried baking a red potato. I suspect it will taste, to my uneducated
palate, just like an Idaho.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17 Mar 2015 16:22:19 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> A totally uninteresting esperiment in my oven, probably tomorrow. The
> grocery had no Russet or Idaho potatoes so I got a couple of red potatoes
> large enough for baking instead. Will try one tomorrow. Oddly, I've never
> tried baking a red potato. I suspect it will taste, to my uneducated
> palate, just like an Idaho.

It won't fluff like a russet, so be prepared for that. I like to cut
reds or yellows into thick slices, coat with oil (I use olive), season
with s & p and roast them in a hot oven until nicely browned on both
sides, turning at least once (the side that touches the pan is the
side that browns fastest).

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK, a good thing to do with red potatoes is to boil them until fairly soft and then put
them on a greased cookie sheet, and using a potato masher or mallet of some kind,
push down on them until they vurst and are squashed to about 1/4" or 3/8" thick.

Season and stick them back in a hot oven until lightly browned. Yum.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2015 11:22 AM, KenK wrote:
> A totally uninteresting esperiment in my oven, probably tomorrow. The
> grocery had no Russet or Idaho potatoes so I got a couple of red potatoes
> large enough for baking instead. Will try one tomorrow. Oddly, I've never
> tried baking a red potato. I suspect it will taste, to my uneducated
> palate, just like an Idaho.

They're waxier/moister, so they're more solid, less mealy. That's what
makes them a good boiling potato, and for salads - they hold their
shape better and don't crumble easily.

My folks always raised the Red Pontiac variety in our home garden,
because they grow to a large size and are very good keepers. So our
baked potatoes were always reds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2015 12:22 PM, KenK wrote:
> A totally uninteresting esperiment in my oven, probably tomorrow. The
> grocery had no Russet or Idaho potatoes so I got a couple of red potatoes
> large enough for baking instead. Will try one tomorrow. Oddly, I've never
> tried baking a red potato. I suspect it will taste, to my uneducated
> palate, just like an Idaho.

The texture may be a little different (more firm, usually described as
"waxy") but I see no reason not to bake red potatoes.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2015 12:41 PM, Nancy2 wrote:

> KenK, a good thing to do with red potatoes is to boil them until fairly soft and then put
> them on a greased cookie sheet, and using a potato masher or mallet of some kind,
> push down on them until they vurst and are squashed to about 1/4" or 3/8" thick.
>
> Season and stick them back in a hot oven until lightly browned. Yum.
>
> N.

Furthermore, drizzle the par-boiled then slightly mashed spuds with oil
and sprinkle with salt & pepper before putting them on the baking sheet
in the oven.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17 Mar 2015 16:22:19 GMT, KenK > wrote:

>A totally uninteresting esperiment in my oven, probably tomorrow. The
>grocery had no Russet or Idaho potatoes so I got a couple of red potatoes
>large enough for baking instead. Will try one tomorrow. Oddly, I've never
>tried baking a red potato. I suspect it will taste, to my uneducated
>palate, just like an Idaho.

I bake Red Bliss spuds often, they are very good, the texture is a bit
different from Russets but not in a bad way. The only way to know if
you'd like then is to try some. The only potato I don't like are
Yukon Golds, I think their texture is gross
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 17:05:18 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On 17 Mar 2015 16:22:19 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>
>>A totally uninteresting esperiment in my oven, probably tomorrow. The
>>grocery had no Russet or Idaho potatoes so I got a couple of red potatoes
>>large enough for baking instead. Will try one tomorrow. Oddly, I've never
>>tried baking a red potato. I suspect it will taste, to my uneducated
>>palate, just like an Idaho.

>I bake Red Bliss spuds often, they are very good, the texture is a bit
>different from Russets but not in a bad way. The only way to know if
>you'd like then is to try some. The only potato I don't like are
>Yukon Golds, I think their texture is gross

Really? I love Yukon Golds! A ilittle laerge forone servind, I cut
themb in 1/2 and nuke them then let them sit and finish cooking, then
slice the 1/2 a Yukon Gold and shred cheddar over it. YUM!

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 16:28:59 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 17:05:18 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
>
>>On 17 Mar 2015 16:22:19 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>>
>>>A totally uninteresting esperiment in my oven, probably tomorrow. The
>>>grocery had no Russet or Idaho potatoes so I got a couple of red potatoes
>>>large enough for baking instead. Will try one tomorrow. Oddly, I've never
>>>tried baking a red potato. I suspect it will taste, to my uneducated
>>>palate, just like an Idaho.

>>I bake Red Bliss spuds often, they are very good, the texture is a bit
>>different from Russets but not in a bad way. The only way to know if
>>you'd like then is to try some. The only potato I don't like are
>>Yukon Golds, I think their texture is gross

>Really? I love Yukon Golds!

I woulda bet money that Yukon Golds were *** spuds.

>A ilittle laerge forone servind, I cut
>themb in 1/2 and nuke them then let them sit and finish cooking, then
>slice the 1/2 a Yukon Gold and shred cheddar over it. YUM!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
>A totally uninteresting esperiment in my oven, probably tomorrow. The
> grocery had no Russet or Idaho potatoes so I got a couple of red potatoes
> large enough for baking instead. Will try one tomorrow. Oddly, I've never
> tried baking a red potato. I suspect it will taste, to my uneducated
> palate, just like an Idaho.

No, it will not taste like a Russet. It will probably be pretty boring.
Red potatoes are better off roasted. Coat the outside with oil or butter or
if large, cut into bite sized pieces. Add salt, pepper and any herbs that
you might like. Garlic, parsley, Italian seasoning, these things are all
good. You could also add a little parmesan. Turn then once or twice as
they roast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 17:44:32 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 16:28:59 -0500, John Kuthe >
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 17:05:18 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>>>I bake Red Bliss spuds often, they are very good, the texture is a bit
>>>different from Russets but not in a bad way. The only way to know if
>>>you'd like then is to try some. The only potato I don't like are
>>>Yukon Golds, I think their texture is gross

>>Really? I love Yukon Golds!

>I woulda bet money that Yukon Golds were *** spuds.
>
>>A ilittle laerge forone servind, I cut
>>themb in 1/2 and nuke them then let them sit and finish cooking, then
>>slice the 1/2 a Yukon Gold and shred cheddar over it. YUM!

Now now ShelDUM, your gaydar is malfunctioning!

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 12:22:25 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
> A totally uninteresting esperiment in my oven, probably tomorrow. The
> grocery had no Russet or Idaho potatoes so I got a couple of red >potatoes
> large enough for baking instead. Will try one tomorrow.

Did 2 yesterday with my ham and cabbage. Wet, added sea salt, wrapped in Saran wrap and in the nuke for 6 minutes. Butter s&p, sour cream on the side. They were pretty good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 10:22:25 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:
> A totally uninteresting esperiment in my oven, probably tomorrow. The
> grocery had no Russet or Idaho potatoes so I got a couple of red potatoes
> large enough for baking instead. Will try one tomorrow. Oddly, I've never
> tried baking a red potato. I suspect it will taste, to my uneducated
> palate, just like an Idaho.
>

> --
> You know it's time to clean the refrigerator
> when something closes the door from the inside.

Has any one tried the Albert Bartlett Rooster potatoes? They advertise them on TV with Marcia Cross. Oddly the US office is about ten miles from my house, and yet the stores in my area do not carry the product.

They are advertised as all purpose.

DaleP
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 07:13:01 -0700 (PDT), dalep
> wrote:

snip

>Has any one tried the Albert Bartlett Rooster potatoes? They advertise them on TV with Marcia Cross. Oddly the US office is about ten miles from my house, and yet the stores in my area do not carry the product.
>
>They are advertised as all purpose.
>
>DaleP

I haven't heard of them. They appear to be a West Coast item. The
description sounds a lot like a Yukon Gold.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 09:44:40 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 07:13:01 -0700 (PDT), dalep
> > wrote:
>
> snip
> >
> >Has any one tried the Albert Bartlett Rooster potatoes? They advertise them on TV with Marcia Cross. Oddly the US office is about ten miles from my house, and yet the stores in my area do not carry the product.
> >
> >They are advertised as all purpose.
> >
> >DaleP

> I haven't heard of them. They appear to be a West Coast item. The
> description sounds a lot like a Yukon Gold.
> Janet US

I haven't heard of them either, not even in advertisements.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 12:03:03 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 09:44:40 -0600, Janet B >
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 07:13:01 -0700 (PDT), dalep
> > > wrote:
> >
> > snip
> > >
> > >Has any one tried the Albert Bartlett Rooster potatoes? They advertise them on TV with Marcia Cross. Oddly the US office is about ten miles from my house, and yet the stores in my area do not carry the product.
> > >
> > >They are advertised as all purpose.
> > >
> > >DaleP

> > I haven't heard of them. They appear to be a West Coast item. The
> > description sounds a lot like a Yukon Gold.
> > Janet US

> I haven't heard of them either, not even in advertisements.
>
> --
> A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Lots of info on google search. Pink potato developed in U.K.
No biggie as far as I am concerned.
============
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 12:03:03 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 09:44:40 -0600, Janet B >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 07:13:01 -0700 (PDT), dalep
>> >
>> > snip

>> > I haven't heard of them. They appear to be a West Coast item. The
>> > description sounds a lot like a Yukon Gold.
>> > Janet US

>> I haven't heard of them either, not even in advertisements.
>>
>> --
>> A kitchen without a cook is just a room

> Lots of info on google search. Pink potato developed in U.K.
> No biggie as far as I am concerned.
> ============

We can get Albert Bartlett Rooster potatoes in our supermarkets. I bought
them for a wee while but I have gone back to my Maris Piper.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 19:32:36 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> We can get Albert Bartlett Rooster potatoes in our supermarkets. I bought
> them for a wee while but I have gone back to my Maris Piper.

So Maris Piper is a brand, not a type of potato?

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 09:44:40 -0600, Janet B >
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 07:13:01 -0700 (PDT), dalep
>> > wrote:
>>
>> snip
>> >
>> >Has any one tried the Albert Bartlett Rooster potatoes? They advertise
>> >them on TV with Marcia Cross. Oddly the US office is about ten miles
>> >from my house, and yet the stores in my area do not carry the product.
>> >
>> >They are advertised as all purpose.
>> >
>> >DaleP

>> I haven't heard of them. They appear to be a West Coast item. The
>> description sounds a lot like a Yukon Gold.
>> Janet US

> I haven't heard of them either, not even in advertisements.

Me either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 15:33:49 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
> > On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 09:44:40 -0600, Janet B >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 07:13:01 -0700 (PDT), dalep
> >>
> >> snip

> >> I haven't heard of them. They appear to be a West Coast item. The
> >> description sounds a lot like a Yukon Gold.
> >> Janet US

> > I haven't heard of them either, not even in advertisements.
> >

> Me either.

I was at the grocery store today, looked didn't see it. Asked the
first produce person I saw and he hadn't heard of Rooster potatoes
either. http://albertbartlett.com/farmers/

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 5:58:02 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 15:33:49 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> > "sf" > wrote in message
> > news

> > > I haven't heard of them either, not even in advertisements.
> > >

> > Me either.

> I was at the grocery store today, looked didn't see it. Asked the
> first produce person I saw and he hadn't heard of Rooster potatoes
> either. http://albertbartlett.com/farmers/
>
> --
> A kitchen without a cook is just a room

The "first person" you saw was most likely just another worker who wouldn't have known a kumquat from a banana. Ask someone with knowledge i.e. the produce manager if available. Actually, why bother, just "google" it.

============
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Thomas > wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 12:22:25 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
> > A totally uninteresting esperiment in my oven, probably tomorrow. The
> > grocery had no Russet or Idaho potatoes so I got a couple of red >potatoes
> > large enough for baking instead. Will try one tomorrow.

> Did 2 yesterday with my ham and cabbage. Wet, added sea salt, wrapped in
> Saran wrap and in the nuke for 6 minutes. Butter s&p, sour cream on the side.
> They were pretty good.

But hardly could be described as "baked".

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
KenK > wrote:

> A totally uninteresting esperiment in my oven, probably tomorrow. The
> grocery had no Russet or Idaho potatoes so I got a couple of red potatoes
> large enough for baking instead. Will try one tomorrow. Oddly, I've never
> tried baking a red potato. I suspect it will taste, to my uneducated
> palate, just like an Idaho.

Might taste about the same, but will probably be "creamy" and not at all
"fluffy" the way a properly baked russet can turn out.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 22:02:31 -0700, isw > wrote:

>In article >,
> KenK > wrote:
>
>> A totally uninteresting esperiment in my oven, probably tomorrow. The
>> grocery had no Russet or Idaho potatoes so I got a couple of red potatoes
>> large enough for baking instead. Will try one tomorrow. Oddly, I've never
>> tried baking a red potato. I suspect it will taste, to my uneducated
>> palate, just like an Idaho.

>Might taste about the same, but will probably be "creamy" and not at all
>"fluffy" the way a properly baked russet can turn out.
>
>Isaac

Traditionally baked, blind folded no one can tell the difference... I
bake red skinned spuds often... the large ones bake the same as
russets, small ones bake like new potatoes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 22:02:31 -0700, isw > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> KenK > wrote:
>>
>>> A totally uninteresting esperiment in my oven, probably tomorrow.
>>> The grocery had no Russet or Idaho potatoes so I got a couple of red
>>> potatoes large enough for baking instead. Will try one tomorrow.
>>> Oddly, I've never tried baking a red potato. I suspect it will
>>> taste, to my uneducated palate, just like an Idaho.

>>Might taste about the same, but will probably be "creamy" and not at
>>all "fluffy" the way a properly baked russet can turn out.
>>
>>Isaac

> Traditionally baked, blind folded no one can tell the difference... I
> bake red skinned spuds often... the large ones bake the same as
> russets, small ones bake like new potatoes.

FWIW, unblindfolded I can't either. I have no idea of the variety of the
large red potato I used - not indicated on bin - but with a little
margarine it tasted just like the Russet and Idaho baked potatoes I'm
used to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 12:35:00 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
> Brooklyn1 > wrote in
> :
>
> > On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 22:02:31 -0700, isw > wrote:

> >>Might taste about the same, but will probably be "creamy" and not at
> >>all "fluffy" the way a properly baked russet can turn out.
> >>
> >>Isaac

> > Traditionally baked, blind folded no one can tell the difference... I
> > bake red skinned spuds often... the large ones bake the same as
> > russets, small ones bake like new potatoes.
> >

> FWIW, unblindfolded I can't either. I have no idea of the variety of the
> large red potato I used - not indicated on bin - but with a little
> margarine it tasted just like the Russet and Idaho baked potatoes I'm
> used to.

If you're putting nasty shit like margarine on it, who the **** cares what
kind of potato?

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 19:32:36 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
> > We can get Albert Bartlett Rooster potatoes in our supermarkets. I bought
> > them for a wee while but I have gone back to my Maris Piper.

> So Maris Piper is a brand, not a type of potato?

Maris Bard is a potato cultivar; a type of potato. So is Rooster.
Albert Bartlett is the name of a potato farming business.

http://www.lovepotatoes.co.uk/potato-varieties

"There are literally thousands of different varieties of potatoes grown
around the world. In the UK around 80 varieties are grown commercially"
Below are some of the most popular potato varieties available in this
country."

scroll down to see the range of potato types available to shoppers
here, and how they are cused.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

> On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 22:02:31 -0700, isw > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > KenK > wrote:
> >
> >> A totally uninteresting esperiment in my oven, probably tomorrow. The
> >> grocery had no Russet or Idaho potatoes so I got a couple of red potatoes
> >> large enough for baking instead. Will try one tomorrow. Oddly, I've never
> >> tried baking a red potato. I suspect it will taste, to my uneducated
> >> palate, just like an Idaho.

> >Might taste about the same, but will probably be "creamy" and not at all
> >"fluffy" the way a properly baked russet can turn out.
> >
> >Isaac

> Traditionally baked, blind folded no one can tell the difference

Dream on.

Janet UK

Twice Baked Potato koko General Cooking 76 16-12-2014 06:44 PM
Baked Potato Bar Tara General Cooking 71 19-11-2013 11:39 PM
Microwave 'baked' potato? KenK General Cooking 84 23-07-2012 07:29 PM
MW baked potato Ken Knecht General Cooking 43 31-12-2006 03:29 AM
Baked Potato in Gas BBQ? Bobz General Cooking 5 14-07-2004 05:33 PM