Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default MW baked potato

Anyone have a good method of making 'baked' potatoes in the microwave that
taste like potatoes baked in a regular oven?

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hello, Ken!
You wrote on Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:49:58 GMT:

I'm not being very helpful am I but I don't think it is possible
;-( There is a special flavor that comes with the crisping of
the skin of an oven-baked potato, not that nuked potatoes are
all that bad! If you have 4 to 6 potatoes to cook, it won't take
all that much longer in the conventional oven.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken Knecht wrote:
> Anyone have a good method of making 'baked' potatoes in the microwave that
> taste like potatoes baked in a regular oven?

Nuked potatoes tend to steam and get a bit rubbery. However, a few
minutes in the microwave can dramatically shorten the time they need to
be in the oven. I tend to start my potatoes by getting them hot and
just starting to steam, then put them in the big oven for the remaining
time. If it is a really large one, you may need to turn it over midway
in the microwave, as they will get soggy on the bottom side if they sit
in the same position too long, and cook unevenly.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dawn" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Ken Knecht wrote:
>> Anyone have a good method of making 'baked' potatoes in the microwave
>> that
>> taste like potatoes baked in a regular oven?
>>

> Nuked potatoes tend to steam and get a bit rubbery. However, a few
> minutes in the microwave can dramatically shorten the time they need to
> be in the oven. I tend to start my potatoes by getting them hot and
> just starting to steam, then put them in the big oven for the remaining
> time. If it is a really large one, you may need to turn it over midway
> in the microwave, as they will get soggy on the bottom side if they sit
> in the same position too long, and cook unevenly.

Excellent advice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken Knecht wrote on 29 Dec 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Anyone have a good method of making 'baked' potatoes in the microwave
> that taste like potatoes baked in a regular oven?
>
> TIA

There is no recipe...The best Baked potatoes are made by
washing/scrubbing the spuds well, drying them...rubbing the skin with a
little oil and sprinkling them lightly with salt, forking them to allow
for venting (no exploding potatoes that way) and baking for approx 1 hr
at 400F plus.

The best you can do with a microwave is make steamed potatoes in their
jackets. Which is ok... but don't get me wrong...it ain't a baked spud.

Some time can be saved though...by nuking the potatoes for say 5
minutes...while the oven comes to temp. This can save you 20 minutes
maybe.

These are 2 totally diffent cooking methods...oven cooking allows some of
the moisture to evaporate away...the microwave doesn't. Is the easiest
way to explain it.

The foiled wrapped method is just a restaurant method of allowing the
potatoes to be eatable after many hours...as they don't cook them to
order but do many potatoes at opening time to last throughout the night.

The true baked potato with a nice crisp skin means allowing it to bake
till the skin makes a russeling noise when handled.

With a tougher crisper skin... twice baked potatoes are a possibility...
Scoop out the potato innards...taking care not to puncture the skin.
Coarsely mash...Mix these innards with butter, cheese , cooked crumbled
bacon, chives, chopped cooked mushrooms or what ever...Place back in the
skins and bake till the cheese melts and the potatoes firm up a bit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken Knecht > wrote in
:

> Anyone have a good method of making 'baked' potatoes in the
> microwave that taste like potatoes baked in a regular oven?
>
> TIA

I poke holes (fairly deep) with a fork on 4 sides and both ends.
Then micro 1/2 way flip over and continue 'baking' Depending on
size you can nuke from 3 to 9+ minutes. My medium sided potatoes
nuke for about 4 to 4 1/2 minutes. Then let them sit for a few
minutes before eating.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:49:58 GMT, Ken Knecht >
wrote:

>Anyone have a good method of making 'baked' potatoes in the microwave that
>taste like potatoes baked in a regular oven?

Nuke them for several minutes, then bake as you normally would. Works
a treat.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:14:11 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
wrote:

>There is no recipe...The best Baked potatoes are made by
>washing/scrubbing the spuds well, drying them...rubbing the skin with a
>little oil and sprinkling them lightly with salt, forking them to allow
>for venting (no exploding potatoes that way) and baking for approx 1 hr
>at 400F plus.

They are even better cooked in an earthenware pot rather that in the
oven. Slightly charred!

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Dawn" wrote:
> > Ken Knecht wrote:
> >> Anyone have a good method of making 'baked' potatoes in the microwave
> >> that taste like potatoes baked in a regular oven?

> > Nuked potatoes tend to steam and get a bit rubbery. However, a few
> > minutes in the microwave can dramatically shorten the time they need to
> > be in the oven. I tend to start my potatoes by getting them hot and
> > just starting to steam, then put them in the big oven for the remaining
> > time. If it is a really large one, you may need to turn it over midway
> > in the microwave, as they will get soggy on the bottom side if they sit
> > in the same position too long, and cook unevenly.

> Excellent advice.

Nonsense... that's no advice at all.

There's no point in using both nuker and conventional oven... if only
one, two, or even three potatoes then may as well finish in the
nuker... there is no sense in heating an entire oven for just one, two,
or three potatoes. And with more than four the time is going to be
close to the same with either oven. And I wouldn't light my oven for
less than six baked potatoes... in fact I wouldn't light my oven
regardless for just baked potatoes.. at the very least may as well
roast a chicken too.

And I see nothing awful about nuked potatoes... main difference is that
the skin doesn't become a crisp shell, but so what... the vast majority
of baked potato eaters don't eat any of the skin anyway, just ask
anyone who clears restaurant tables... not only don't they eat the skin
most folks barely eat half the insides. Most folks attack the entree
first while it's still hot, then by the time they've finished they're
too stuffed to be filling up on potato, especially because by then
they're contemplating dessert. I've witnessed the same phenomena when
serving guests at home, most of the baked potatoes end up in the
garbage... I no longer make baked potatoes for guests, haven't for many
years. Serve wedges of pared spuds rubbed in oil and roasted till
puffy, crispy, golden brown and folks will fight over the last piece,
can't make enough. Baked in their jackets spuds is the fare of
impoverished Irish... stolen potatoes they roast in an open fire,
they're called mickys, the spuds too. hehe

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito said...

> There is no recipe...The best Baked potatoes are made by
> washing/scrubbing the spuds well, drying them...rubbing the skin with a
> little oil and sprinkling them lightly with salt, forking them to allow
> for venting (no exploding potatoes that way) and baking for approx 1 hr
> at 400F plus.

I just scrub the spuds, don't dry, don't oil, don't salt and don't fork them.
At 375 F. for 45 minutes.

I always cut the spuds in half when done and squeeze the skin off. I know,
that's probably breaking some spud law, but I've already ate my lifetime 1
lb. of dirt requirement.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken Knecht > wrote in
:

> Anyone have a good method of making 'baked' potatoes in the microwave
> that taste like potatoes baked in a regular oven?

I use a hybrid method.
Scrub well.
Olive oil.
9 minutes on high.
Pop into 375 deg oven for 30 minutes.
Works every time.

IBM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
> > >
> > > Nuked potatoes tend to steam and get a bit rubbery. However, a few
> > > minutes in the microwave can dramatically shorten the time they need to
> > > be in the oven. I tend to start my potatoes by getting them hot and
> > > just starting to steam, then put them in the big oven for the remaining
> > > time. If it is a really large one, you may need to turn it over midway
> > > in the microwave, as they will get soggy on the bottom side if they sit
> > > in the same position too long, and cook unevenly.

> > Excellent advice.

---clip---

> And I see nothing awful about nuked potatoes... main difference is that
> the skin doesn't become a crisp shell, but so what... the vast majority
> of baked potato eaters don't eat any of the skin anyway, just ask
> anyone who clears restaurant tables... not only don't they eat the skin
> most folks barely eat half the insides.

What? In my family the skins, loaded with butter, are the best part
of a baked potato. The insides are okay but come a sad second to
crispy potato skins. Stuffed baked potatos are delicious.

There is nothing wrong with a nuked potato, but it has nothing in
common with a real baked potato, it is much more like a boiled or
steamed potato.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Mr Libido Incognito said...
>
> > There is no recipe...The best Baked potatoes are made by
> > washing/scrubbing the spuds well, drying them...rubbing the skin
> > with a little oil and sprinkling them lightly with salt, forking
> > them to allow for venting (no exploding potatoes that way) and
> > baking for approx 1 hr at 400F plus.

> I just scrub the spuds, don't dry, don't oil, don't salt and don't
> fork them. At 375 F. for 45 minutes.

Heh. I never used to fork them, then one explodiated in the oven one
time. Talk about a mess.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:

> What? In my family the skins, loaded with butter, are the best part
> of a baked potato. The insides are okay but come a sad second to
> crispy potato skins.

I'm so with ya there!A nice dry crispy potato skin, with lots of butter,
salt and pepper, make the best start to a meal. As children we were
allowed to gather at the table and enjoy the potato skins immediately,
even while my mother was serving out the rest of the meal so we could
enjoy them at their best.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default User wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>
>> Mr Libido Incognito said...
>>
>>> There is no recipe...The best Baked potatoes are made by
>>> washing/scrubbing the spuds well, drying them...rubbing the skin
>>> with a little oil and sprinkling them lightly with salt, forking
>>> them to allow for venting (no exploding potatoes that way) and
>>> baking for approx 1 hr at 400F plus.

>> I just scrub the spuds, don't dry, don't oil, don't salt and don't
>> fork them. At 375 F. for 45 minutes.

> Heh. I never used to fork them, then one explodiated in the oven one
> time. Talk about a mess.

Not only do they need forking before baking to avoid exploding, my
mother insisted that we use our forks to open the potato up. She felt a
knife would compact the tender dry insides too much. We would make a
line of fork holes lengthwise, then crosswise and then squeeze the
potato open.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote

> John Kane wrote:
>
>> What? In my family the skins, loaded with butter, are the best part
>> of a baked potato. The insides are okay but come a sad second to
>> crispy potato skins.

> I'm so with ya there!A nice dry crispy potato skin, with lots of butter,
> salt and pepper, make the best start to a meal. As children we were
> allowed to gather at the table and enjoy the potato skins immediately,
> even while my mother was serving out the rest of the meal so we could
> enjoy them at their best.

Usually a baked potato (half of one of those enormous ones, anyway) is
a side dish, and I eat some of the potato guts and the skin is wrapped up
and saved for breakfast. I zap it until it's warm and butter it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" > wrote in message
> Andy wrote:
>
>> Mr Libido Incognito said...
>>
>> > There is no recipe...The best Baked potatoes are made by
>> > washing/scrubbing the spuds well, drying them...rubbing the skin
>> > with a little oil and sprinkling them lightly with salt, forking
>> > them to allow for venting (no exploding potatoes that way) and
>> > baking for approx 1 hr at 400F plus.

>> I just scrub the spuds, don't dry, don't oil, don't salt and don't
>> fork them. At 375 F. for 45 minutes.

> Heh. I never used to fork them, then one explodiated in the oven one
> time. Talk about a mess.
>

> Brian

Yup, and once you've had to clean up an explodiated potato you *never*
forget to poke it!!

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young > wrote in message
. ..
[snip]
> Next up I'm going to make baked potato soup, [..]

Got a favorite recipe?

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote

> Nancy Young > wrote

>> Next up I'm going to make baked potato soup, [..]

> Got a favorite recipe?

No, I don't, just every time I see it mentioned I think, I want
to make that. I'm sure Jill has posted one.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ms_peacock said...

>>> I just scrub the spuds, don't dry, don't oil, don't salt and don't
>>> fork them. At 375 F. for 45 minutes.

>> Heh. I never used to fork them, then one explodiated in the oven one
>> time. Talk about a mess.

> Yup, and once you've had to clean up an explodiated potato you *never*
> forget to poke it!!
>

> Ms P

Wait a second... I was talking about regular baking in the oven baked
potatoes. The explodiated potato is the nucularized potato, right??

I've never seen a potato burst in a regular oven in all my life!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Wait a second... I was talking about regular baking in the oven baked
> potatoes. The explodiated potato is the nucularized potato, right??
>
> I've never seen a potato burst in a regular oven in all my life!
>
> Andy

I recall it happened on occasion as a child. That was before we had a
microwave oven.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger said...

> Nancy Young > wrote in message
> . ..
> [snip]
>> Next up I'm going to make baked potato soup, [..]

> Got a favorite recipe?
>
> The Ranger

Isn't baked potato soup just baked potatoes and chicken or turkey gravy
mushed up?!?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> ms_peacock said...

>> Yup, and once you've had to clean up an explodiated potato you *never*
>> forget to poke it!!
>>

>> Ms P

> Wait a second... I was talking about regular baking in the oven baked
> potatoes. The explodiated potato is the nucularized potato, right??
>
> I've never seen a potato burst in a regular oven in all my life!
>
> Andy

Nope, regular ol' oven explodiated baked potato. It was a pain to clean up.
Since that was long before microwaves and I have always poked potatoes since
the explodiating event I never had one blow up in the nuker.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in message
> The Ranger said...
> > Nancy Young > wrote in message

. ..
> > [snip]
> >> Next up I'm going to make baked potato soup, [..]

> > Got a favorite recipe?
> >

> Isn't baked potato soup just baked potatoes and chicken
> or turkey gravy mushed up?!?

Not really. Here's a post answering my request for a recipe. I
haven't tried but a couple...

Wed, Jun 28 2000 12:00 am
Email: Price >

The Ranger wrote:

> Would like to try making a leek and potato soup. Any tried-n-true
> recipes that anyone would like to share?

> Thank you.

> The Ranger

Hey, Ranger... Here are a few that I've used... Because of the word
wrap, some of the URL's may have to be run through a text editor
(NotePad/WordPad, etc.) before you can insert them directly into
your browsers' window...

http://www.tabasco.com/html/recipes/...tato_soup.html

http://souprecipe.com/az/CheesyLeekM...ite=0&ARRefCoo...

http://search.yumyum.com/recipe.htm?ID=12125

http://www.ichef.com/ichef-recipes/S...ces/34825.html

http://www.ichef.com/ichef-recipes/S...ups/28064.html

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/eg.../crpotlee.html

http://online-cookbook.com/goto/cook...&sw=leek+potat...

http://dinnercoop.cs.cmu.edu/dinnerc...oLeekSoup.html

http://www.kitchenlink.com/msgbrd/bo.../NOV/2095.html

Enjoy...!
--
Price...
Frrxvat vzzbegnyvgl... Fb sne fb tbbq...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...

> Isn't baked potato soup just baked potatoes and chicken or turkey gravy
> mushed up?!?
>
> Andy

It might be in your world but in my world it's soup.

Start with diced bacon and onion. Cook until the onion is translucent. Add
the cold leftover diced baked potatoes, milk, celery flakes, parsley flakes,
salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat until it's almost boiling.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 said...

> Andy wrote:
>
>> Wait a second... I was talking about regular baking in the oven baked
>> potatoes. The explodiated potato is the nucularized potato, right??
>>
>> I've never seen a potato burst in a regular oven in all my life!
>>
>> Andy
>>

> I recall it happened on occasion as a child. That was before we had a
> microwave oven.

Goomba38,

I remember once, I left the house with potatoes in the oven. When I came
back hours later, the potatoes were just empty shells. The pulp just
evaporated.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ms_peacock wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote in message
> > Andy wrote:

> > > I just scrub the spuds, don't dry, don't oil, don't salt and don't
> > > fork them. At 375 F. for 45 minutes.

> > Heh. I never used to fork them, then one explodiated in the oven one
> > time. Talk about a mess.

> Yup, and once you've had to clean up an explodiated potato you never
> forget to poke it!!

The funny thing was, the potato that remained in the skin was some of
the best ever, very fluffy. The process to get that though . . .

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> ms_peacock said...

> >> Heh. I never used to fork them, then one explodiated in the oven

> one
>> time. Talk about a mess.

> Wait a second... I was talking about regular baking in the oven baked
> potatoes. The explodiated potato is the nucularized potato, right??

Nope.

> I've never seen a potato burst in a regular oven in all my life!

Trust me, it can happen. Potato spews all over a hot oven, cooking onto
ever surface.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ms_peacock" > wrote

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...

>> Isn't baked potato soup just baked potatoes and chicken or turkey gravy
>> mushed up?!?

Sometimes when I'd eat at this one place, I'd get the cup of soup that
came with the specials. Once in a while it would be cream of potato.
Tasted for the world like potato flake mashed potatoes, but it certainly
was more liquid than just mashed potatoes and gravy.

> It might be in your world but in my world it's soup.
>
> Start with diced bacon and onion. Cook until the onion is translucent.
> Add the cold leftover diced baked potatoes, milk, celery flakes, parsley
> flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat until it's almost
> boiling.

Sounds great, though I assumed the liquid would be chicken or vegetable
broth? I did expect some cream would be added.

Heh, and maybe served with a little pat of butter on top, just to get
the fat and calorie content as high as possible.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ms_peacock said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>

>> Isn't baked potato soup just baked potatoes and chicken or turkey gravy
>> mushed up?!?
>>
>> Andy

> It might be in your world but in my world it's soup.
>
> Start with diced bacon and onion. Cook until the onion is translucent.
> Add the cold leftover diced baked potatoes, milk, celery flakes, parsley
> flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat until it's
> almost boiling.
>

> Ms P

Ms P,

I like your version better!

Thanks,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken Knecht wrote:
> Anyone have a good method of making 'baked' potatoes in the microwave
> that taste like potatoes baked in a regular oven?
>
> TIA

We all know they aren't really "baked" and you know it too, so you can
ignore those criticisms. I've found, when on the road in a hotel with a
kitchen but only a microwave for an oven, this method works very well (it's
essentially what I'd do if I had a regular oven). Poke holes along the top
of the potatoes. Rub them with butter then sprinkle with salt. Don't wrap
them in anything, just put them on a paper plate. Nuke 7-10 minutes for 2
large baking potatoes; poke them with a fork at 7 minutes to test for
doneness in the center. Let them sit a minute, then eat!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> Heh, and maybe served with a little pat of butter on top, just to get
> the fat and calorie content as high as possible.
>
> nancy

(LAUGH!!!)

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "ms_peacock" > wrote
>
> Sometimes when I'd eat at this one place, I'd get the cup of soup that
> came with the specials. Once in a while it would be cream of potato.
> Tasted for the world like potato flake mashed potatoes, but it certainly
> was more liquid than just mashed potatoes and gravy.
>
>> It might be in your world but in my world it's soup.
>>
>> Start with diced bacon and onion. Cook until the onion is translucent.
>> Add the cold leftover diced baked potatoes, milk, celery flakes, parsley
>> flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat until it's
>> almost boiling.

> Sounds great, though I assumed the liquid would be chicken or vegetable
> broth? I did expect some cream would be added.
>
> Heh, and maybe served with a little pat of butter on top, just to get
> the fat and calorie content as high as possible.
>
> nancy

I don't want my potato soup to taste like chicken. Since the potatoes are
already cooked there's no need to use a liquid to cook the potatoes. You
can add a little cream to yours if you want. I rarely have cream so mine is
just milk.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote on 29 Dec 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> I've never seen a potato burst in a regular oven in all my life!
>
> Andy

I've had it happen in a conventional oven and it is messy and stinks up the
house...[Can you say burning potato? I knew you could]...It only seems to
happen when company is coming over and it's about 10 minutes before they
arrive.

Since then I fork the spuds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Anyone have a good method of making 'baked' potatoes in the microwave that
>taste like potatoes baked in a regular oven?

MWed potatoes taste just fine to me... they're just not as crispy on
the outside as if they're done in the oven. I just rinse the potatos
(one for each of us) and put them on a plate and the nuke them for
eight minutes if they're small and ten minutes if they'e large ones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 04:57:24 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
wrote:

>right outa the fridge slice it into coins...skin and all... lightly butter
>and salt and pepper each coin and eat. Cold baked potatoes...a comfort food
>from my youth.

Cold baked potatoes, a little mayo, optional minced onion. Yumma.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi > wrote in news:45954df5$0$14683$892e7fe2
@authen.puce.readfreenews.net:

> I poke holes (fairly deep) with a fork on 4 sides and both ends.
> Then micro 1/2 way flip over and continue 'baking' Depending on
> size you can nuke from 3 to 9+ minutes. My medium sided potatoes
> nuke for about 4 to 4 1/2 minutes. Then let them sit for a few
> minutes before eating.

I tried that last night. I guessed ten minutes for a fairly large russet
and it seemed about right. To my uneducated palate it tasted enough like
a baked potato, but I prefer the potato with a thick crisp skin - easier
to eat. But I guess that goes with the short cooking time. All in all,
I'll continue to make them in the MW. Thanks.

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Baked red potato? KenK General Cooking 28 20-03-2015 01:51 PM
Twice Baked Potato koko General Cooking 76 16-12-2014 06:44 PM
Baked Potato Bar Tara General Cooking 71 19-11-2013 11:39 PM
Microwave 'baked' potato? KenK General Cooking 84 23-07-2012 07:29 PM
Baked Potato in Gas BBQ? Bobz General Cooking 5 14-07-2004 05:33 PM