Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How do you pronounce spaetzle?

The German I know says it "SHPETS-luh."
I'm surprised Webster's would say any /e/ would be "like the /e/ in bed"--i.e., a short /e/--"only long." A vowel is either short OR long. Bed = short /e/. Long /e/ in English words requires 2 e's or ea. Like beet or beat.
There are various dialects and pronunciations in Germany, depending on the region, just like every country. So Spaetzle is going to be pronounced in more than one way.
And Schweizerisch [Swiss] German sounds very different, in pronunciation and colloquialisms, from that spoken in Germany.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> The German I know says it "SHPETS-luh."
> I'm surprised Webster's would say any /e/ would be "like the /e/ in
> bed"--i.e., a short /e/--"only long." A vowel is either short OR long. Bed
> = short /e/. Long /e/ in English words requires 2 e's or ea. Like beet or
> beat.
> There are various dialects and pronunciations in Germany, depending on the
> region, just like every country. So Spaetzle is going to be pronounced in
> more than one way.
> And Schweizerisch [Swiss] German sounds very different, in pronunciation
> and colloquialisms, from that spoken in Germany.

I say s-pet-zull

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 00:16:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
>> The German I know says it "SHPETS-luh."
>> I'm surprised Webster's would say any /e/ would be "like the /e/ in
>> bed"--i.e., a short /e/--"only long." A vowel is either short OR long. Bed
>> = short /e/. Long /e/ in English words requires 2 e's or ea. Like beet or
>> beat.
>> There are various dialects and pronunciations in Germany, depending on the
>> region, just like every country. So Spaetzle is going to be pronounced in
>> more than one way.
>> And Schweizerisch [Swiss] German sounds very different, in pronunciation
>> and colloquialisms, from that spoken in Germany.

>I say s-pet-zull

Check he
<https://forvo.com/word/sp%C3%A4tzle/>

How do you pronounce spaetzle? [email protected] General Cooking 0 14-01-2019 11:17 AM
How do you pronounce spaetzle? Nancy2[_2_] General Cooking 12 15-11-2016 09:37 PM
How do you pronounce spaetzle? [email protected] General Cooking 1 11-11-2016 06:10 PM
Pronounce Montelena? JK Wine 28 27-02-2005 11:57 PM
How do you pronounce "clafoutis" ? Nancree General Cooking 9 15-02-2004 03:35 AM