Old 15-04-2019, 03:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Dyson sucks

I gave up on my Dyson V10. It's the only vacuum I have ever had that
needed constant maintenance. I had cleaned the filter a couple weeks
ago and it took a day and a half to dry out enough to be used. The
manual said it should take 24 hours. On Tuesday it clogged up again. It
should have been ready to use by Wednesday afternoon. It wasn't. Now was
it ready Thursday. On Friday I tried it and it was kicking out. I took
the head out to the shed, charged up the air compressor and blew out
everything. It still wouldn't work, so I called Dyson. They are going
to send me a new one, but it might take a while. I won't feel guilty
about the fact that it actually worked this morning..... five days to
dry the filter.

Old 15-04-2019, 03:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 22:25:28 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

I gave up on my Dyson V10. It's the only vacuum I have ever had that
needed constant maintenance. I had cleaned the filter a couple weeks
ago and it took a day and a half to dry out enough to be used. The
manual said it should take 24 hours.

LOL Sue the *******s!

On Tuesday it clogged up again.

Nooo!

It should have been ready to use by Wednesday afternoon. It wasn't.

Whaaaaat?

Now was
it ready Thursday. On Friday I tried it and it was kicking out. I took
the head out to the shed, charged up the air compressor and blew out
everything. It still wouldn't work, so I called Dyson. They are going
to send me a new one, but it might take a while. I won't feel guilty
about the fact that it actually worked this morning..... five days to
dry the filter.

Five days! Nooooo! Say it ain't so, Dave!

Dave, have you been very bored since you retired?
Old 15-04-2019, 04:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/14/2019 10:25 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
I gave up on my Dyson V10. It's the only vacuum I have ever had that
needed constant maintenance.┬*┬* I had cleaned the filter a couple weeks
ago and it took a day and a half to dry out enough to be used. The
manual said it should take 24 hours. On Tuesday it clogged up again. It
should have been ready to use by Wednesday afternoon. It wasn't. Now was
it ready Thursday. On Friday I tried it and it was kicking out. I took
the head out to the shed, charged up the air compressor and blew out
everything.┬*┬* It still wouldn't work, so I called Dyson. They are going
to send me a new one, but it might take a while.┬* I won't feel guilty
about the fact that it actually worked this morning..... five days to
dry the filter.

I won't be buying a Dyson. Never had a vac that was not ready to use
seconds after cleaning or replacing a filter.

If something spills I have a $30 portable to clean it up. Regular
vacuuming is done by the cleaning lady. The regular vac has not been
touched for a long time.
Old 15-04-2019, 04:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 23:18:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I won't be buying a Dyson. Never had a vac that was not ready to use
seconds after cleaning or replacing a filter.

If something spills I have a $30 portable to clean it up. Regular
vacuuming is done by the cleaning lady. The regular vac has not been
touched for a long time.

Whatever happened to simple, decent vacuum cleaners that just worked,
and worked well for a long time? Most all the newer ones have gimmicky
technology and seem problematic and unreliable.

I bought my Wertheim vacuum cleaner back in 2000 - very powerful and
with a simple bag system. Still works perfectly - and I bought mine
refurbished, I have no idea of it's true age. It's been used on
average twice a week over the years I've owned it. The bristles on the
floor attachment wore down to the point where they needed replacing
about two years ago, but that's reasonable wear and tear of course.
Old 15-04-2019, 04:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-04-14 11:18 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Fortunately, we have a central vac. It is hassle to have to drag out
that extra long hose and have that trailing around, but I only have to
empty the canister about once every month or two. This Dyson, supposedly
designed for cleaning up dog hair, has to be emptied about every 5
minutes of vacuuming, and I am lucky to make it through the house
without a more serious clogging issue. And then there is that filter
that needs such frequent cleaning.

Old 15-04-2019, 06:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 22:25:28 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

I gave up on my Dyson V10. It's the only vacuum I have ever had that
needed constant maintenance. I had cleaned the filter a couple weeks
ago and it took a day and a half to dry out enough to be used. The
manual said it should take 24 hours. On Tuesday it clogged up again. It
should have been ready to use by Wednesday afternoon. It wasn't. Now was
it ready Thursday. On Friday I tried it and it was kicking out. I took
the head out to the shed, charged up the air compressor and blew out
everything. It still wouldn't work, so I called Dyson. They are going
to send me a new one, but it might take a while. I won't feel guilty
about the fact that it actually worked this morning..... five days to
dry the filter.

You know about humidity and air circulation and all that sciency
stuff, right?
Old 15-04-2019, 06:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 23:18:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I won't be buying a Dyson. Never had a vac that was not ready to use
seconds after cleaning or replacing a filter.

If something spills I have a $30 portable to clean it up. Regular
vacuuming is done by the cleaning lady. The regular vac has not been
touched for a long time.

Dave's is a $500 portable.

I don't know why all his household appliances are always a topic for
rec.food.cooking. He's 4X as mindless and boring as John Kuthe.

-sw
Old 15-04-2019, 12:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 10:32:23 +0700, Je▀us wrote:

[...]

You're both listening to what Smith says - I have a V10 Dyson and love
it. I have cleaned the filter once in several months and as I pointed
out to Dave, at the time, it dried in about an hour because after I
rinsed it, I stuffed some paper towel into the cavity. I use it more
and more and the regular vacuum less and less.
Old 15-04-2019, 01:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I gave up on my Dyson V10. It's the only vacuum I have ever had that
needed constant maintenance. I had cleaned the filter a couple weeks
ago and it took a day and a half to dry out enough to be used. The
manual said it should take 24 hours. On Tuesday it clogged up again. It
should have been ready to use by Wednesday afternoon. It wasn't. Now was
it ready Thursday. On Friday I tried it and it was kicking out. I took
the head out to the shed, charged up the air compressor and blew out
everything. It still wouldn't work, so I called Dyson. They are going
to send me a new one, but it might take a while. I won't feel guilty
about the fact that it actually worked this morning..... five days to
dry the filter.

At ~$500 that Dyson V 10 is quite pricey for what it is. We paid $600
for a full sized corded Dyson, "The Animal", the model with the ball,
very powerful, sucks up cat hair amazingly well, never clogs. the dirt
canister is clear so it's easy to see the dirt level.... I'll estimate
the cannister capacity is about a gallon. We purchased it direct from
Dyson and they included just about every attachment, some we've never
used.

After washing we press the filter in a bath towel and then it takes
less than a day to dry, but it only needs washing 2-3 times a year...
still we bought a second filter so we don't need to wait for any
drying. It's a great vacuum but sometimes that cord can be a pain
plus the unit is indeed heavy.

We also have two large wet & dry shop vacs, one in the basement. one
in the garden shed. We also have a Black & Decker Dustbuster, it's
good for quick pick-ups but its charge only lasts about five minutes
and it's not very powerful. So a couple weeks ago we ordered this
cordless and it's terrific plus the price was right ($100). It's very
light weight and quite powerful, a charge lasts a good 20 minutes, its
cannister holds about 1 quart... also comes apart to serve as a
hand-held. It can't take the place of a full size Dyson but is more
than adequate for smaller jobs:
https://www.amazon.com/Deik-Cordless...s%2C177&sr=8-7
That Dyson V10 must have a tiny dirt cannister or your house is gross.

Old 15-04-2019, 03:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-04-15 7:21 a.m., wrote:
On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 10:32:23 +0700, Je├čus wrote:

[...]

I must have got a lemon with a known problem because they are sending me
a new one. I am a pretty handy guy and can usually cope with mechanical
problems. It is constantly clogging up somewhere. It can be the power
head, the vent inside the canister, or the filter. The instructions say
to rinse out the filter and let it dry for 24 hours. After 24 hours and
still not working, I thought something was wrong, but after another 12
hours it was working, so 36 hours rather than 24. Okay... Last week I
had to wash the filter or Tuesday. Thursday, 48 hours later, it was
still not working at all. On Friday it would start but started pulsing
almost immediately and then cut out. I took it out to the shed and used
the air compressor to blow out dust from the unit and the filter. It
should have dried the filter. Yesterday, five days after washing the
filter, it worked fine.

I know there is a lot of dust and dog hair. That was why I got the V10.
It claimed to have been designed for that exact job.

I like the ease of use. It is light and maneuverable. I like that it
does a good job.... when it is working. I don't like that it takes so
much maintenance and that I seem to only be able to use it once or twice
a week.

Apparently Dyson is aware of a problem because they are sending me a
replacement.

Old 15-04-2019, 04:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 10:40:40 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

On 2019-04-15 7:21 a.m., wrote:
[...]

What size is the dirt cannister? If less than a quart it will clog
easily with fur from multiple or large animals... probably okay for
one short hair cat or one small dog (no more than 15 lbs). I've
noticed that with many vacs with a dirt cannister the initial animal
fur tends to compress as a mass and greatly reduces air flow until it
stops working at about 1/3 full... I doubt that unit is adequate for
your use. My B&D Dustbuster is not good with animal hair but works
well with particals like bread crumbs. Animal hair is oily and tends
to mat into a felt like substance. I only looked pictures of that
V10, it doesn't look large enough for animal hair, only it's price is
large.... it's also important to give pets a through daily brushing,
if not you're headed for vacuum problems.... dogs that like water,
like Labs, have very oily fur, so difficult with any vacuum.
Old 15-04-2019, 09:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-04-15 7:21 a.m.,
wrote:
[...]

It's not much more than a quart. If I am doing the living room and
family room I can count on having to empty it twice.

I've
noticed that with many vacs with a dirt cannister the initial animal
fur tends to compress as a mass and greatly reduces air flow until it
stops working at about 1/3 full... I doubt that unit is adequate for
your use.

Yet, I bought it because it was specifically sold as the answer to pet fur.

Old 15-04-2019, 10:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-04-15 7:21 a.m.,
wrote:
[...]

Christ! A friend's visiting dog managed to clog up the filter on my
central vac. Perhaps you should limit the hounds' access instead!
Old 15-04-2019, 10:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-04-15 5:12 p.m., graham wrote:

It's not much more than a quart. If I am doing the living room and
family room I can count on having to empty it twice.

Christ! A friend's visiting dog managed to clog up the filter on my
central vac. Perhaps you should limit the hounds' access instead!

I have had a central vac for more than 20 years. It hangs down inside
the canister and has never clogged, even when the canister has been
packed with crap.

The issue with the Dyson seems to be the water. Another other filter
would work fine with a little dampness but these things have to be bone
dry. My machine would not work at all after the prescribed 24 hours
drying time. After four days it pulsed, starting up and cutting out
within about a second and then stopping completely. It finally worked on
Sunday..... 5 days to dry.
Old 15-04-2019, 10:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-04-15 7:21 a.m.,
wrote:
[...]

Ok this sucks Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 24 26-12-2010 09:01 PM
Stephen Wolfram's right and Freeman Dyson is wrong. fitz Tea 0 09-05-2010 08:47 PM
ATT sucks Ed Pawlowski Barbecue 11 18-07-2009 01:43 PM
OT Dyson Vacuum Sheldon General Cooking 52 26-09-2007 12:00 AM
This sucks cl Barbecue 508 05-01-2005 06:09 PM