Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ok this sucks

Christmas eve, and no real time to do anything about this. I just lost a
crown on one of my teeth. How do these things fall off?

I have a dentist appt on Monday for ortho so I might have to wait until
then. I can already feel the cold breath on the exposed tooth. shit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cheryl > wrote:

> Christmas eve, and no real time to do anything about this. I just lost a
> crown on one of my teeth. How do these things fall off?
>
> I have a dentist appt on Monday for ortho so I might have to wait until
> then. I can already feel the cold breath on the exposed tooth. shit.

Monday is probably fine. There's a product called "DentTemp" that you
may find at a local Walgrens (or possibly other pharmacies) which you
can use to plug the gap -- but in most cases this is not really needed.
(A friend just had the same experience a few days ago, and we got that
as a possible recourse, but ultimately decided it wasn't needed...)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/24/2010 11:14 PM, Michael Siemon wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> Christmas eve, and no real time to do anything about this. I just lost a
>> crown on one of my teeth. How do these things fall off?
>>
>> I have a dentist appt on Monday for ortho so I might have to wait until
>> then. I can already feel the cold breath on the exposed tooth. shit.

> Monday is probably fine. There's a product called "DentTemp" that you
> may find at a local Walgrens (or possibly other pharmacies) which you
> can use to plug the gap -- but in most cases this is not really needed.
> (A friend just had the same experience a few days ago, and we got that
> as a possible recourse, but ultimately decided it wasn't needed...)

I have wax to use on the braces. I wonder if that would work? I can
imagine I'd need to replace it often but I keep lots of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/24/2010 11:04 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> Christmas eve, and no real time to do anything about this. I just lost a > crown on one of my teeth. How do these things fall off?
>
> I have a dentist appt on Monday for ortho so I might have to wait until
> then. I can already feel the cold breath on the exposed tooth. shit.

If you have the crown clean and dry the tooth and have someone help you
push it back on. Monday the Dentist can clean and reglue it or do
whatever is necceaary. Just a thought. No expertise involved.
Merry Christmas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/24/2010 11:54 PM, Lil Abner wrote:
> On 12/24/2010 11:04 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> Christmas eve, and no real time to do anything about this. I just lost
>> a > crown on one of my teeth. How do these things fall off?
>>
>> I have a dentist appt on Monday for ortho so I might have to wait until
>> then. I can already feel the cold breath on the exposed tooth. shit.

> If you have the crown clean and dry the tooth and have someone help you
> push it back on. Monday the Dentist can clean and reglue it or do
> whatever is necceaary. Just a thought. No expertise involved.
> Merry Christmas.

Thank you. I took the other answer and put my othro wax over the
exposed tooth for now. It feel like shit and it won't stay but it's
keeping out the air. I put the fallen out crown in a little bag to keep.

Merry Christmas to you too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> Thank you. I took the other answer and put my othro wax over the
> exposed tooth for now. It feel like shit and it won't stay but it's
> keeping out the air. I put the fallen out crown in a little bag to
> keep.

Don't put it under your pillow, I lost more teeth that way!

> Merry Christmas to you too!

I hope you get through to Monday just fine.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/25/2010 12:23 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> Cheryl wrote:
>
>> Thank you. I took the other answer and put my othro wax over the
>> exposed tooth for now. It feel like shit and it won't stay but it's
>> keeping out the air. I put the fallen out crown in a little bag to
>> keep.

> Don't put it under your pillow, I lost more teeth that way!

LOL! I might not be able to try the lemon cheesecake.

>> Merry Christmas to you too!

> I hope you get through to Monday just fine.

I think it'll be fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 23:54:39 -0500, Lil Abner wrote:

> On 12/24/2010 11:04 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> Christmas eve, and no real time to do anything about this. I just lost a > crown on one of my teeth. How do these things fall off?
>>
>> I have a dentist appt on Monday for ortho so I might have to wait until
>> then. I can already feel the cold breath on the exposed tooth. shit.

> If you have the crown clean and dry the tooth and have someone help you
> push it back on. Monday the Dentist can clean and reglue it or do
> whatever is necceaary. Just a thought. No expertise involved.
> Merry Christmas.

Don't put it back in. You might swallow it while eating. While it
will survive the stomach-intestinal route, and unless you're
*really* desperate, you'd have to get refitted/remade which would
cost a lot more.

I've swallowed a temp cap. I don't know exactly when, but I
noticed it was missing right as I was finishing dinner. The
dentist says it happens "more than you'd think".

Just chew on the other side of your mouth.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/25/2010 1:18 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Don't put it back in. You might swallow it while eating. While it
> will survive the stomach-intestinal route, and unless you're
> *really* desperate, you'd have to get refitted/remade which would
> cost a lot more.
>
> I've swallowed a temp cap. I don't know exactly when, but I
> noticed it was missing right as I was finishing dinner. The
> dentist says it happens "more than you'd think".
>
> Just chew on the other side of your mouth.

I'm not putting it back in. I have some wax to cover the nerve. But I
can't chew on the other side. That side is being modified by the braces
and is in a lot of pain. I might just have to forgo a lot of yummy
Christmas dinner tomorrow.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 23:04:46 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

> Christmas eve, and no real time to do anything about this. I just lost a
> crown on one of my teeth. How do these things fall off?
>
> I have a dentist appt on Monday for ortho so I might have to wait until
> then. I can already feel the cold breath on the exposed tooth. shit.

I don't have crowns, so I know nothing... would it be possible to
crazy glue it back on?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 02:14:24 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 23:04:46 -0500, Cheryl >
>wrote:
>
>> Christmas eve, and no real time to do anything about this. I just lost a
>> crown on one of my teeth. How do these things fall off?
>>
>> I have a dentist appt on Monday for ortho so I might have to wait until
>> then. I can already feel the cold breath on the exposed tooth. shit.

>I don't have crowns, so I know nothing... would it be possible to
>crazy glue it back on?

My wife has done that. The down side is - the dentist had to use a
lot of force to loosen it up again. OTOH- if I was going to be
looking at a bit of pain Tuesday, for a Christmas dinner, today-- I
might go for the immediate gratification.

[it already has wax on it-- so crazy glue might not stick very well--
which might be a good thing if you can get the right level of
adhesion]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 02:14:24 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 23:04:46 -0500, Cheryl >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Christmas eve, and no real time to do anything about this. I just
>>> lost a crown on one of my teeth. How do these things fall off?
>>>
>>> I have a dentist appt on Monday for ortho so I might have to wait
>>> until then. I can already feel the cold breath on the exposed
>>> tooth. shit.

>> I don't have crowns, so I know nothing... would it be possible to
>> crazy glue it back on?

> My wife has done that. The down side is - the dentist had to use a
> lot of force to loosen it up again.

I read about someone doing that, it was a real hassle for the
dentist. And I'm sure not so much fun for the patient. I would
hold off on putting any kind of glue in there.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/24/2010 11:04 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> Christmas eve, and no real time to do anything about this. I just lost a
> crown on one of my teeth. How do these things fall off?
>
> I have a dentist appt on Monday for ortho so I might have to wait until
> then. I can already feel the cold breath on the exposed tooth. shit.

Oh no! I hope they can get it fixed quickly!

--
Happy Holidays!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> Christmas eve, and no real time to do anything about this. I just lost a
> crown on one of my teeth. How do these things fall off?
>
> I have a dentist appt on Monday for ortho so I might have to wait until
> then. I can already feel the cold breath on the exposed tooth. shit.

I had something similar happen about ten years ago, and calling
1-800-DENTIST found a dentist who did the repair on a holiday. (I don't
remember whether it was Thanksgiving or Christmas, but it was a major
holiday.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 00:23:41 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

> Cheryl wrote:
>
>> Thank you. I took the other answer and put my othro wax over the
>> exposed tooth for now. It feel like shit and it won't stay but it's
>> keeping out the air. I put the fallen out crown in a little bag to
>> keep.

> Don't put it under your pillow, I lost more teeth that way!

<snort>

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Just chew on the other side of your mouth.

> I'm not putting it back in. I have some wax to cover the nerve. But I
> can't chew on the other side. That side is being modified by the braces
> and is in a lot of pain. I might just have to forgo a lot of yummy
> Christmas dinner tomorrow.

Prop your mouth open with a kitchen fork. Have an assistant dry out the
tooth with a blast of air from those computer cleaner cans of stuff. It
will both dry it, and send you into ecstatic realms of pain from the instant
super freezing. You will go into another state of consciousness
temporarily, probably Michigan. Then have the assistant use the same thing
dentists use, SuperGlue, to temporarily put the crown back on. HOLD STILL,
or they will glue it to the inside of your mouth, to another tooth, to their
own finger, to your tongue, or all of the above. Keep the mouth propped
open long enough to allow it to dry. Your urge and ability to scream should
be going away just about the time you pop the fork out. If you can get it
out.

If it doesn't work as planned, call either 911 or a funeral home.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 00:18:36 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 23:54:39 -0500, Lil Abner wrote:
>
>> On 12/24/2010 11:04 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>>> Christmas eve, and no real time to do anything about this. I just lost a > crown on one of my teeth. How do these things fall off?
>>>
>>> I have a dentist appt on Monday for ortho so I might have to wait until
>>> then. I can already feel the cold breath on the exposed tooth. shit.

>> If you have the crown clean and dry the tooth and have someone help you
>> push it back on. Monday the Dentist can clean and reglue it or do
>> whatever is necceaary. Just a thought. No expertise involved.
>> Merry Christmas.

>Don't put it back in. You might swallow it while eating. While it
>will survive the stomach-intestinal route, and unless you're
>*really* desperate, you'd have to get refitted/remade which would
>cost a lot more.
>
>I've swallowed a temp cap. I don't know exactly when, but I
>noticed it was missing right as I was finishing dinner. The
>dentist says it happens "more than you'd think".
>
>Just chew on the other side of your mouth.

Exactly correct. Do not try to stick the old crown back on... it can
be swallowed and/or bitten down on causing damage to other teeth. Most
times a crown falls off because it cracked (or the tooth is
cracked/eroded and may require a post/implant) but if still in sound
condition it can be reused as a replacement saving lots of time and
money... most times if the tooth and crown are sound your regular
dentist will do what needs doing to prep the surfaces and cement the
crown back no charge. Crowns don't last forever, with older crowns if
you get fifteen years you're lucky... the procedure and materials have
improved greatly during the past few years... but as one ages the
anchoring parts begin to deteriorate at an accelelorated rate. Often
the crown is fine but the tooth splits, then it'll need a full
extraction. I know someone who has had this happen and will be going
to have the work done in January... she'll need an implant, like
$5,000+. If one waits the jaw bone will decay and then it's too late
for an implant. Sometimes a bone graft is needed, can't tell until
they go in to have a look.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 01:44:28 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 12/25/2010 1:18 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> Don't put it back in. You might swallow it while eating. While it
>> will survive the stomach-intestinal route, and unless you're
>> *really* desperate, you'd have to get refitted/remade which would
>> cost a lot more.
>>
>> I've swallowed a temp cap. I don't know exactly when, but I
>> noticed it was missing right as I was finishing dinner. The
>> dentist says it happens "more than you'd think".
>>
>> Just chew on the other side of your mouth.

>I'm not putting it back in. I have some wax to cover the nerve. But I
>can't chew on the other side. That side is being modified by the braces
>and is in a lot of pain. I might just have to forgo a lot of yummy
>Christmas dinner tomorrow.

So long as you can drink and suck you'll do fine... Champagne and
chocolate, what'd you think?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 09:33:16 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 02:14:24 -0800, sf > wrote:

>>> I don't have crowns, so I know nothing... would it be possible to
>>> crazy glue it back on?

>> My wife has done that. The down side is - the dentist had to use a
>> lot of force to loosen it up again.

>I read about someone doing that, it was a real hassle for the
>dentist. And I'm sure not so much fun for the patient. I would
>hold off on putting any kind of glue in there.

Right, don't try to fix it, odds are you'll cause a lot of damage...
there are myriad OTC preparations one can apply to get by for a few
days, will even permit one to eat normal foods... I'd have phoned my
dentist for a recommendation rather than ask folks on usenet... anyone
undergoing orthodontic work with braces would have an emergency
number.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 23:04:46 -0500, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>
>> Christmas eve, and no real time to do anything about this. I just lost a
>> crown on one of my teeth. How do these things fall off?
>>
>> I have a dentist appt on Monday for ortho so I might have to wait until
>> then. I can already feel the cold breath on the exposed tooth. shit.

> I don't have crowns, so I know nothing... would it be possible to
> crazy glue it back on?

I don't think that would be a good idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 09:33:16 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 02:14:24 -0800, sf > wrote:

> >> I don't have crowns, so I know nothing... would it be possible to
> >> crazy glue it back on?

> > My wife has done that. The down side is - the dentist had to use a
> > lot of force to loosen it up again.

> I read about someone doing that, it was a real hassle for the
> dentist. And I'm sure not so much fun for the patient. I would
> hold off on putting any kind of glue in there.

Yeah, it's over kill because you'd need acetone to remove crazy glue.
What about that stuff that holds dentures in place?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 11:24:29 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 23:04:46 -0500, Cheryl >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Christmas eve, and no real time to do anything about this. I just lost a
> >> crown on one of my teeth. How do these things fall off?
> >>
> >> I have a dentist appt on Monday for ortho so I might have to wait until
> >> then. I can already feel the cold breath on the exposed tooth. shit.

> > I don't have crowns, so I know nothing... would it be possible to
> > crazy glue it back on?

> I don't think that would be a good idea.

I think you're right.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/25/2010 1:16 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Right, don't try to fix it, odds are you'll cause a lot of damage...
> there are myriad OTC preparations one can apply to get by for a few
> days, will even permit one to eat normal foods... I'd have phoned my
> dentist for a recommendation rather than ask folks on usenet... anyone
> undergoing orthodontic work with braces would have an emergency
> number.

I wasn't asking for advice on Usenet. I was expressing my pain. I know,
shouldn't have. But did anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 02:14:24 -0800, sf > wrote:

> >> I don't have crowns, so I know nothing... would it be possible to
> >> crazy glue it back on?

> > My wife has done that. The down side is - the dentist had to use a
> > lot of force to loosen it up again.

> I read about someone doing that, it was a real hassle for the
> dentist. And I'm sure not so much fun for the patient. I would
> hold off on putting any kind of glue in there.

I'm not a dentist, and I don't play one on tv. What I remember, is that
a recommended temporary glue for a temporary crown is toothpaste. That
will keep your cold breath out, keep stuff from getting stuck inside and
prevent pressure from food on the inside. It's not going to work well
for chewing (except straight up and down), and there is still
considerable danger of swallowing if it gets loose. Since yours isn't
temporary, you really don't want to swallow it.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

TJ sucks, imo. Gary General Cooking 243 20-09-2012 04:52 AM
ATT sucks Ed Pawlowski Barbecue 11 18-07-2009 01:43 PM
Rice still sucks notbob General Cooking 28 11-11-2006 05:42 PM
Ignorance Sucks! [email protected] General Cooking 2 31-07-2006 06:21 PM
This sucks cl Barbecue 508 05-01-2005 07:09 PM