Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default not so nacho, nacho salad...

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 23:52:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message

>>> And that's what happens when you order stuff in a restaurant. It sits.
>>> Often
>>> under a warming light. No meat on my nachos. No sour cream either. And my
>>> veggies go on there raw. Usually green onion, tomato and black olives.
>>> Beans
>>> do go under the cheese.
>>>

>> Hey dipshit! When you order a nacho, aka taco, salad it's made when you
>> ORDER
>> it. It's not made then it sits under a warming light. How stupid can you
>> be?
>> Wait, don't answer that, we already know the answer.

>Nachos and tacos are not the same things.

yes you are completely correct. A order of fully dressed nachos will
have a meat source (beef, chicken, or steak) tomato's, onions perhaps
some type of peppers, lettuce, sour cream, perhaps some type of sauce
or salsa.

A taco will in fact be dressed the same way served with the same type
of fried tortilla except the fried tortilla has been folded over
before fried instead of broken up into what has become known as nacho
chips. And on a taco the salsa has sometimes been renamed to taco
sauce instead of salsa.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 23:55:04 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 12:51:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>I did. It was awful. Lettuce should be crisp. Not hot and wilted.

>> well it sounds like you had a bad experience because you chose to eat
>> at a restaurant, you should have sent the food back. Make your own
>> food.

>I do these days. When we lived there, my then husband loved going to taverns
>to eat. Hence the nachos. I do make nachos at home once in a while. They're
>not a favorite food.

well maybe you are not making them as good as you could. since our
lively thread about nachos, tacos, and other various types of foods
with lettuce or without I have neaten nachos and nacho salads several
times.... They are awesome!!

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 23:52:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message

>>> Hey dipshit! When you order a nacho, aka taco, salad it's made when you
>>> ORDER
>>> it. It's not made then it sits under a warming light. How stupid can
>>> you
>>> be?
>>> Wait, don't answer that, we already know the answer.

>>Nachos and tacos are not the same things.

> yes you are completely correct. A order of fully dressed nachos will
> have a meat source (beef, chicken, or steak) tomato's, onions perhaps
> some type of peppers, lettuce, sour cream, perhaps some type of sauce
> or salsa.
>
> A taco will in fact be dressed the same way served with the same type
> of fried tortilla except the fried tortilla has been folded over
> before fried instead of broken up into what has become known as nacho
> chips. And on a taco the salsa has sometimes been renamed to taco
> sauce instead of salsa.

Not true. A crisp taco will have meat or beans, cheese that has not been
melted, then lettuce and tomato. Street tacos will have grilled meat and
usually pico de gallo. No cheese, no lettuce, soft tortilla.

Neither have sour cream or guacamole on them, nor will they have olives.
Nachos usually have olives.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 23:55:04 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 12:51:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>>>

> wrote in message
m...

>>> well it sounds like you had a bad experience because you chose to eat
>>> at a restaurant, you should have sent the food back. Make your own
>>> food.

>>I do these days. When we lived there, my then husband loved going to
>>taverns
>>to eat. Hence the nachos. I do make nachos at home once in a while.
>>They're
>>not a favorite food.

> well maybe you are not making them as good as you could. since our
> lively thread about nachos, tacos, and other various types of foods
> with lettuce or without I have neaten nachos and nacho salads several
> times.... They are awesome!!

Mexican food is my favorite. I make it all the time. It's good! I'm making
tostadas later. No meat on mine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 4:56:43 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 23:55:04 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >

> > wrote in message
> . ..
> >>>

> > wrote in message
> m...

> >>I do these days. When we lived there, my then husband loved going to
> >>taverns
> >>to eat. Hence the nachos. I do make nachos at home once in a while.
> >>They're
> >>not a favorite food.

> > well maybe you are not making them as good as you could. since our
> > lively thread about nachos, tacos, and other various types of foods
> > with lettuce or without I have neaten nachos and nacho salads several
> > times.... They are awesome!!

> Mexican food is my favorite. I make it all the time. It's good! I'm making
> tostadas later. No meat on mine.

i had such a wonderful soup in the acapulco market. the market was where the locals went. it was a great shrimp soup.
another great soup was the potato soup i had in panama city panama. just wonderful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 13:56:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 23:55:04 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

> wrote in message
om...

>>>I do these days. When we lived there, my then husband loved going to
>>>taverns
>>>to eat. Hence the nachos. I do make nachos at home once in a while.
>>>They're
>>>not a favorite food.

>> well maybe you are not making them as good as you could. since our
>> lively thread about nachos, tacos, and other various types of foods
>> with lettuce or without I have neaten nachos and nacho salads several
>> times.... They are awesome!!

>Mexican food is my favorite. I make it all the time. It's good! I'm making
>tostadas later. No meat on mine.

You've never eaten Mexican food... that Taco Bell crap is NOT Mexican
food, that's Tex Mex crap, no self respecting Mexican eats that
garbage that you call Mexican food.... actually Mexicans eat far
better than North Americans. Mexican food consists of some of the
best seafood on the planet, and wonderful bbq thats far better than
any Q maven in the states makes. And all sorts of produce that you've
never seen because tropical produce doesn't ship well.
And our resident Aloha boychick hasn't a clue about Asian cookery, he
prepares the same crap that's readily available at any fast food Asian
take out joint,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" wrote in message

On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 4:56:43 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 23:55:04 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >

> > wrote in message
> . ..
> >>>

> > wrote in message
> m...

> >>I do these days. When we lived there, my then husband loved going to
> >>taverns
> >>to eat. Hence the nachos. I do make nachos at home once in a while.
> >>They're
> >>not a favorite food.

> > well maybe you are not making them as good as you could. since our
> > lively thread about nachos, tacos, and other various types of foods
> > with lettuce or without I have neaten nachos and nacho salads several
> > times.... They are awesome!!

> Mexican food is my favorite. I make it all the time. It's good! I'm making
> tostadas later. No meat on mine.

i had such a wonderful soup in the acapulco market. the market was where
the locals went. it was a great shrimp soup.
another great soup was the potato soup i had in panama city panama. just
wonderful.
==

Well you sure enjoyed that ) Any idea how they were made?)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 5:53:52 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "A Moose in Love" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 4:56:43 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > > On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 23:55:04 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > >

> > > wrote in message
> > . ..
> > >>>

> > > wrote in message
> > m...

> > > well maybe you are not making them as good as you could. since our
> > > lively thread about nachos, tacos, and other various types of foods
> > > with lettuce or without I have neaten nachos and nacho salads several
> > > times.... They are awesome!!

> > Mexican food is my favorite. I make it all the time. It's good! I'm making
> > tostadas later. No meat on mine.

> i had such a wonderful soup in the acapulco market. the market was where
> the locals went. it was a great shrimp soup.
> another great soup was the potato soup i had in panama city panama. just
> wonderful.
> ==
>
> Well you sure enjoyed that ) Any idea how they were made?)

not really. the shrimp soup i had in 1974. it was that memorable. and cheap.
the potato soup was a cream of potato soup. it had half a chicken breast in it.
at the time, i was not too big on cooking so i didn't make note of what i thought was in it etc.
the panama soup i had was in 1988. a year before the american invasion. our main course(i'm not big on eating fish)was sea bass in some kind of mild garlic sauce. outstanding.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 13:54:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 23:52:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>Nachos and tacos are not the same things.

>> yes you are completely correct. A order of fully dressed nachos will
>> have a meat source (beef, chicken, or steak) tomato's, onions perhaps
>> some type of peppers, lettuce, sour cream, perhaps some type of sauce
>> or salsa.
>>
>> A taco will in fact be dressed the same way served with the same type
>> of fried tortilla except the fried tortilla has been folded over
>> before fried instead of broken up into what has become known as nacho
>> chips. And on a taco the salsa has sometimes been renamed to taco
>> sauce instead of salsa.
>>

>Not true. A crisp taco will have meat or beans, cheese that has not been
>melted, then lettuce and tomato. Street tacos will have grilled meat and
>usually pico de gallo. No cheese, no lettuce, soft tortilla.
>
>Neither have sour cream or guacamole on them, nor will they have olives.
>Nachos usually have olives.

I have never in my life seen nachos with olives

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 14:37:58 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 4:56:43 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> > On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 23:55:04 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> >

>> > wrote in message
>> . ..
>> >>>

>> > wrote in message
>> m...

>> > well maybe you are not making them as good as you could. since our
>> > lively thread about nachos, tacos, and other various types of foods
>> > with lettuce or without I have neaten nachos and nacho salads several
>> > times.... They are awesome!!

>> Mexican food is my favorite. I make it all the time. It's good! I'm making
>> tostadas later. No meat on mine.

>i had such a wonderful soup in the acapulco market. the market was where the locals went. it was a great shrimp soup.
>another great soup was the potato soup i had in panama city panama. just wonderful.

I have a recipe for a wonderful root vegetable soup. Super healthy and
man it is so good, you can make it spicy or not, smooth and creamy or
chunky with different root vegetables.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 1:53:05 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message

> >> And that's what happens when you order stuff in a restaurant. It sits.
> >> Often
> >> under a warming light. No meat on my nachos. No sour cream either. And my
> >> veggies go on there raw. Usually green onion, tomato and black olives.
> >> Beans
> >> do go under the cheese.
> >>

> > Hey dipshit! When you order a nacho, aka taco, salad it's made when you
> > ORDER
> > it. It's not made then it sits under a warming light. How stupid can you
> > be?
> > Wait, don't answer that, we already know the answer.

> Nachos and tacos are not the same things. Food can sit in restaurants. The
> Mexican place we normally eat at has a small staff. The owner is usually the
> one who makes the food and he does bring it out right away.

Who cares where you supposedly eat out?

> That being
> said... Nachos are not something I ever order in a Mexican place. I will
> order them at other places if there is nothing else appealing on the menu.

Again, who cares? Maybe the Mexican boyfriend is perturbed you don't like
the food of his country, but I couldn't care less.

> Restaurants like that often do not bring your food out right away. They
> usually have a ledge between the kitchen and the dining area. There is often
> a warming light there. I once got warm cottage cheese at such a place.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 17:42:00 -0400, wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 13:56:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 23:55:04 -0700, "Julie Bove"

m...

wrote:

>>> well maybe you are not making them as good as you could. since our
>>> lively thread about nachos, tacos, and other various types of foods
>>> with lettuce or without I have neaten nachos and nacho salads several
>>> times.... They are awesome!!

>>Mexican food is my favorite. I make it all the time. It's good! I'm making
>>tostadas later. No meat on mine.

>You've never eaten Mexican food... that Taco Bell crap is NOT Mexican
>food, that's Tex Mex crap, no self respecting Mexican eats that
>garbage that you call Mexican food

I will totally agree with you there. but then again I am not mexican.
I make mexican inspired food, that I think is just as good as any
mexican or north american dish, or perhaps even better. Healthier than
either for sure.

>... actually Mexicans eat far
>better than North Americans.

everyone in existence eats better than north americans (healthier
anyway)

> Mexican food consists of some of the
>best seafood on the planet,

seafood in mexican waters is not going to be that much different than
any other water in the amreicas

>and wonderful bbq thats far better than
>any Q maven in the states makes.

Now here is where I will have to disagree with you.

> And all sorts of produce that you've
>never seen because tropical produce doesn't ship well.

Not always true. Pineapples ship very well, and a good many others.

>And our resident Aloha boychick hasn't a clue about Asian cookery, he
>prepares the same crap that's readily available at any fast food Asian
>take out joint,

Thing about cooking in the states..... I can go to the tap and get the
water I need, even drink straight from the tap. Any guest I have over
from any other country could drink straight from the tap. Do that in
mexico....

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> well maybe you are not making them as good as you could. since our
>>> lively thread about nachos, tacos, and other various types of foods
>>> with lettuce or without I have neaten nachos and nacho salads several
>>> times.... They are awesome!!

>> Mexican food is my favorite. I make it all the time. It's good! I'm making
>> tostadas later. No meat on mine.

> You've never eaten Mexican food... that Taco Bell crap is NOT Mexican
> food, that's Tex Mex crap, no self respecting Mexican eats that
> garbage that you call Mexican food.... actually Mexicans eat far
> better than North Americans. Mexican food consists of some of the
> best seafood on the planet, and wonderful bbq thats far better than
> any Q maven in the states makes. And all sorts of produce that you've
> never seen because tropical produce doesn't ship well.
> And our resident Aloha boychick hasn't a clue about Asian cookery, he
> prepares the same crap that's readily available at any fast food Asian
> take out joint,

Uhh, Popeye, did yoose know dat Mexico is in North America?

Yoose so smart. Bet yoose just forgot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 13:56:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 23:55:04 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>>>

> wrote in message
m...

>>> well maybe you are not making them as good as you could. since our
>>> lively thread about nachos, tacos, and other various types of foods
>>> with lettuce or without I have neaten nachos and nacho salads several
>>> times.... They are awesome!!

>>Mexican food is my favorite. I make it all the time. It's good! I'm making
>>tostadas later. No meat on mine.

> You've never eaten Mexican food... that Taco Bell crap is NOT Mexican
> food, that's Tex Mex crap, no self respecting Mexican eats that
> garbage that you call Mexican food.... actually Mexicans eat far
> better than North Americans. Mexican food consists of some of the
> best seafood on the planet, and wonderful bbq thats far better than
> any Q maven in the states makes. And all sorts of produce that you've
> never seen because tropical produce doesn't ship well.
> And our resident Aloha boychick hasn't a clue about Asian cookery, he
> prepares the same crap that's readily available at any fast food Asian
> take out joint,

I rarely eat Taco Bell. Only two things they make that I'll eat. The bean
burrito and the nacho fries when they have them. Once in a while, Angela
will bring me those. I can easily recreate the burrito at home.

We normally eat he

http://ixtapalynnwood.com/

Years before, we ate at another place called Pio Pio's. It's long gone. That
place was owned by the uncle of the guy who owns the place in the link. Both
are from Oaxaca.

Another place we love is:

http://www.elantojo.com/

Excellent food but the place needs to be three times bigger. It is housed in
an old Taco Bell. At least the Lynwood location is. The place can be packed
so we can't always go when we want to as no free tables or parking. And that
sort of food isn't very good to go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>... actually Mexicans eat far
>>>better than North Americans.

>>everyone in existence eats better than north americans (healthier
>>anyway)

> Samoans and some other islanders eat worse. When they walk, they
> travel the same distance sideways as forward.
>
>>> Mexican food consists of some of the
>>>best seafood on the planet,

>>seafood in mexican waters is not going to be that much different than
>>any other water in the amreicas

> I've had the best seafood dishes in France. And Australia has great
> seafood.
>
>>> And all sorts of produce that you've
>>>never seen because tropical produce doesn't ship well.

>>Not always true. Pineapples ship very well, and a good many others.

> Yes, mangos for one.
>
>>>And our resident Aloha boychick hasn't a clue about Asian cookery, he
>>>prepares the same crap that's readily available at any fast food Asian
>>>take out joint,

> He has as good a grip of Asian food as you have of nursing home food,
> pot roast daddy.
>
>>Thing about cooking in the states..... I can go to the tap and get the
>>water I need, even drink straight from the tap. Any guest I have over
>>from any other country could drink straight from the tap. Do that in
>>mexico....

> In Australia, town water often tastes of chlorine. Don't you have that
> problem in the US?

It really varies depending on where you live and the source of the water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 13:54:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 23:52:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> yes you are completely correct. A order of fully dressed nachos will
>>> have a meat source (beef, chicken, or steak) tomato's, onions perhaps
>>> some type of peppers, lettuce, sour cream, perhaps some type of sauce
>>> or salsa.
>>>
>>> A taco will in fact be dressed the same way served with the same type
>>> of fried tortilla except the fried tortilla has been folded over
>>> before fried instead of broken up into what has become known as nacho
>>> chips. And on a taco the salsa has sometimes been renamed to taco
>>> sauce instead of salsa.
>>>

>>Not true. A crisp taco will have meat or beans, cheese that has not been
>>melted, then lettuce and tomato. Street tacos will have grilled meat and
>>usually pico de gallo. No cheese, no lettuce, soft tortilla.
>>
>>Neither have sour cream or guacamole on them, nor will they have olives.
>>Nachos usually have olives.

> I have never in my life seen nachos with olives

https://www.swagbucks.com/?t=i&q=nachos

Now you have! I guess you don't get out much. And how many do you see with
lettuce?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 1:53:05 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>> > Hey dipshit! When you order a nacho, aka taco, salad it's made when
>> > you
>> > ORDER
>> > it. It's not made then it sits under a warming light. How stupid can
>> > you
>> > be?
>> > Wait, don't answer that, we already know the answer.

>> Nachos and tacos are not the same things. Food can sit in restaurants.
>> The
>> Mexican place we normally eat at has a small staff. The owner is usually
>> the
>> one who makes the food and he does bring it out right away.
>>

> Who cares where you supposedly eat out?
>>
>> That being
>> said... Nachos are not something I ever order in a Mexican place. I will
>> order them at other places if there is nothing else appealing on the
>> menu.
>>

> Again, who cares? Maybe the Mexican boyfriend is perturbed you don't like
> the food of his country, but I couldn't care less.
>>
>> Restaurants like that often do not bring your food out right away. They
>> usually have a ledge between the kitchen and the dining area. There is
>> often
>> a warming light there. I once got warm cottage cheese at such a place.
>>

> Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Agree. You are a big snooze.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 20:43:54 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .

>> In Australia, town water often tastes of chlorine. Don't you have that
>> problem in the US?

>It really varies depending on where you live and the source of the water.

Yes, the same in Australia I guess.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" wrote in message

> i had such a wonderful soup in the acapulco market. the market was where
> the locals went. it was a great shrimp soup.
> another great soup was the potato soup i had in panama city panama. just
> wonderful.
> ==
>
> Well you sure enjoyed that ) Any idea how they were made?)

not really. the shrimp soup i had in 1974. it was that memorable. and
cheap.
the potato soup was a cream of potato soup. it had half a chicken breast in
it.
at the time, i was not too big on cooking so i didn't make note of what i
thought was in it etc.
the panama soup i had was in 1988. a year before the american invasion.
our main course(i'm not big on eating fish)was sea bass in some kind of mild
garlic sauce. outstanding.

==

Have you searched online? I get a lot of my 'Asian type' recipes
here. Dsi1 started me off and now I just go for it <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 9:53:15 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> In Australia, town water often tastes of chlorine. Don't you have that
> problem in the US?

I don't consider it to be a problem. I grew up on chlorinated water,
so that's the way water is supposed to taste.

Not that I'm averse to a good well water, but those aren't easy to
come by. My house had a well when I moved in, and it was nasty,
sulfurous stuff.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 03:05:43 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 9:53:15 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>
>> In Australia, town water often tastes of chlorine. Don't you have that
>> problem in the US?

>I don't consider it to be a problem. I grew up on chlorinated water,
>so that's the way water is supposed to taste.

That's sad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 03:05:43 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 9:53:15 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>
>> In Australia, town water often tastes of chlorine. Don't you have that
>> problem in the US?

>I don't consider it to be a problem. I grew up on chlorinated water,
>so that's the way water is supposed to taste.

That's sad.

==

Yes, it is I suppose I did too but it has been so long since I Iived
there I can't remember The water in Scotland is lovely

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

"The water in Scotland is lovely "

Nothing better than "lovely" water, imo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> In Australia, town water often tastes of chlorine. Don't you have that
> problem in the US?

Only summer occasionally here. That's just when someone adds a
bit too much to the city water.

The chlorine kills many nasty germs. If you let water sit in a
water tower plain, you would be drinking swamp water.

From your tap, just let it sit out overnight uncovered and the
chlorine will evaporate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 03:05:43 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 9:53:15 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> >
> >> In Australia, town water often tastes of chlorine. Don't you have that
> >> problem in the US?

> >I don't consider it to be a problem. I grew up on chlorinated water,
> >so that's the way water is supposed to taste.

> That's sad.

Not sad. It's much safer water and like I said, an overnight sit
and your evil chlorine will evaporate out. Do you also shun
proven vaccinations for known diseases?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 8:28:03 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
> >
> > In Australia, town water often tastes of chlorine. Don't you have that
> > problem in the US?

> Only summer occasionally here. That's just when someone adds a
> bit too much to the city water.
>
> The chlorine kills many nasty germs. If you let water sit in a
> water tower plain, you would be drinking swamp water.
>
> From your tap, just let it sit out overnight uncovered and the
> chlorine will evaporate.

my uncle's tobacco farm had wonderful tasting well water. the first day there, and you could really taste the sulfur. a couple of days though, and you didn't taste that stuff anymore. so cold. but...what else was in this water? tobacco farmers really spray a lot of stuff on their crop.
i purchased bottled water once that was bottled in otterville ontario. otterville also does or did tobacco.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-21 7:27 a.m., Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>>
>> In Australia, town water often tastes of chlorine. Don't you have that
>> problem in the US?

> Only summer occasionally here. That's just when someone adds a
> bit too much to the city water.
>
> The chlorine kills many nasty germs. If you let water sit in a
> water tower plain, you would be drinking swamp water.
>
> From your tap, just let it sit out overnight uncovered and the
> chlorine will evaporate.

Unless you live in Flint!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 9:54:01 AM UTC-4, graham wrote:
> On 2019-03-21 7:27 a.m., Gary wrote:
> > Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> In Australia, town water often tastes of chlorine. Don't you have that
> >> problem in the US?

> > Only summer occasionally here. That's just when someone adds a
> > bit too much to the city water.
> >
> > The chlorine kills many nasty germs. If you let water sit in a
> > water tower plain, you would be drinking swamp water.
> >
> > From your tap, just let it sit out overnight uncovered and the
> > chlorine will evaporate.
> >

> Unless you live in Flint!

He's not wrong about the chlorine. He never mentioned the lead,
which is a problem in many older cities.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 9:54:01 AM UTC-4, graham wrote:

> > > Only summer occasionally here. That's just when someone adds a
> > > bit too much to the city water.
> > >
> > > The chlorine kills many nasty germs. If you let water sit in a
> > > water tower plain, you would be drinking swamp water.
> > >
> > > From your tap, just let it sit out overnight uncovered and the
> > > chlorine will evaporate.
> > >

> > Unless you live in Flint!

> He's not wrong about the chlorine. He never mentioned the lead,
> which is a problem in many older cities.

Well, apparently - or "maybe" - lead pipes led to "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"...!!!

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...-roman-empire/

[...]

"The ancient Roman plumbing system was a legendary achievement in civil engineering, bringing fresh water to urbanites from hundreds of kilometers away. Wealthy Romans had hot and cold running water, as well as a sewage system that whisked waste away. Then, about 2,200 years ago, the waterworks got an upgrade: the discovery of lead pipes (called fistulae in Latin) meant the entire system could be expanded dramatically. The city's infatuation with lead pipes led to the popular (and disputed) theory that Rome fell due to lead poisoning**. Now, a new study reveals that the city's lead plumbing infrastructure was at its biggest and most complicated during the centuries leading up to the empire's peak..."

[...]

**

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.08e659d9d6db

Lead poisoning and the fall of Rome
By Lenny Bernstein February 17, 2016

"How bad is lead for human health? The answer is not encouraging: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states flatly that no lead level is safe for children. As we've been reminded by the ongoing water crisis in Flint, Mich., lead can irreversibly harm brain development in children, causing learning disabilities, behavioral issues and other problems. At high levels, it can lead to kidney damage, seizures and even death.

But could lead poisoning bring down an entire empire? Some researchers have questioned whether it contributed to the fall of Rome.

Back in 1983, a Canadian research scientist, Jerome Nriagu, examined evidence of the diets of 30 Roman emperors and "usurpers" who reigned between 30 B.C. and 220 A.D. Nriagu concluded that 19 "had a predilection to the lead-tainted" food and wine popular then and probably suffered from lead poisoning, as well as a form of gout

We're not talking about small amounts of lead. To sweeten their wines and other foods, the Romans would boil down grapes into a variety of syrups, all of which had one thing in common, according to Nriagu's article in the New England Journal of Medicine: They were simmered slowly in lead pots or lead-lined copper kettles.

When the recipes were tested in modern days, they produced syrups with lead concentrations of 240 to 1000 milligrams per liter. "One teaspoon (5ml) of such syrup would have been more than enough to cause chronic lead poisoning," Nriagu wrote.

Given the gluttonous habits of Roman aristocrats, it would be no surprise if they showed the impact of lead in their diets, Nriagu believed. Here's how he described "the dull-witted and absent-minded Claudius," whom he considered most likely to have suffered lead poisoning: "He had disturbed speech, weak limbs, an ungainly gait, tremor, fits of excessive and inappropriate laughter and unseemly anger, and he often slobbered." However, the researcher admitted that the cause of these maladies was "a matter of longstanding debate."

Indeed, his own lead-poisoning theory was quickly, even vehemently disputed.. In 1984, for example, classicist John Scarborough authored "The Myth of Lead Poisoning Among the Romans: An Essay Review" and tore Nriagu's argument apart.

Scarborough wrote that Nriagu's basic premise couldn't be trusted because of sloppy work. He also concluded that the Romans were aware of the harm lead could cause, that lead poisoning wasn't endemic in their society and that Rome did not fall because of it.

In an interview Wednesday, Nriagu stood by his work. The professor emeritus of environmental health sciences at the University of Michigan said that "Scarborough knows nothing, absolutely nothing, about lead poisoning. Absolutely zero."

Still others followed up on the question. Three decades after Nriagu's paper, a team of archaeologists and scientists examined how lead pipes contaminated ancient Roman "tap water." By measuring lead isotopes in the sediment of the Tiber River and Trajanic Harbor, they estimated that the piped water probably contained 100 times as much lead as local spring water.

Yet French researcher Hugo Delile and his team, reporting in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences in 2014, concluded that such concentrations were "unlikely to have been truly harmful." The group also claimed that enough criticism of Nriagu's theory had been amassed over three decades to largely debunk it.

"Lead is no longer seen as the prime culprit of Romes demise," Delile wrote..."

</>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 11:20:00 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 03:05:43 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 9:53:15 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>>
>>> In Australia, town water often tastes of chlorine. Don't you have that
>>> problem in the US?

>>I don't consider it to be a problem. I grew up on chlorinated water,
>>so that's the way water is supposed to taste.

>That's sad.
>
>==
>
> Yes, it is I suppose I did too but it has been so long since I Iived
>there I can't remember The water in Scotland is lovely

We're on tank (rain) water here. I've had a few looks into those tanks
and ever since we use that water for everything but drinking
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 08:28:22 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 03:05:43 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >I don't consider it to be a problem. I grew up on chlorinated water,
>> >so that's the way water is supposed to taste.

>> That's sad.

>Not sad. It's much safer water and like I said, an overnight sit
>and your evil chlorine will evaporate out. Do you also shun
>proven vaccinations for known diseases?

Plenty of people have town water that doesn't smell of chlorine. You
clearly don't.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 08:27:47 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> In Australia, town water often tastes of chlorine. Don't you have that
>> problem in the US?

>Only summer occasionally here. That's just when someone adds a
>bit too much to the city water.
>
>The chlorine kills many nasty germs. If you let water sit in a
>water tower plain, you would be drinking swamp water.
>
>From your tap, just let it sit out overnight uncovered and the
>chlorine will evaporate.

The more you smell it, the harder it's working and the dirtier your
water was.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 07:35:25 -0700 (PDT), GM
> wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > Unless you live in Flint!

>> He's not wrong about the chlorine. He never mentioned the lead,
>> which is a problem in many older cities.

>Well, apparently - or "maybe" - lead pipes led to "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"...!!!

It made Bush and Cheney lie about weapons of mass destruction.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 03:05:43 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 9:53:15 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>>
>>> In Australia, town water often tastes of chlorine. Don't you have that
>>> problem in the US?

>>I don't consider it to be a problem. I grew up on chlorinated water,
>>so that's the way water is supposed to taste.

>That's sad.
>
>==
>
> Yes, it is I suppose I did too but it has been so long since I Iived
>there I can't remember The water in Scotland is lovely

We're on tank (rain) water here. I've had a few looks into those tanks
and ever since we use that water for everything but drinking

==

What do you drink?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 18:54:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 11:20:00 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 03:05:43 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>>>I don't consider it to be a problem. I grew up on chlorinated water,
>>>so that's the way water is supposed to taste.

>>That's sad.
>>
>>==
>>
>> Yes, it is I suppose I did too but it has been so long since I Iived
>>there I can't remember The water in Scotland is lovely

>We're on tank (rain) water here. I've had a few looks into those tanks
>and ever since we use that water for everything but drinking
>
>==
>
> What do you drink?

We buy 10 liter containers of water or we boil our own water.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 20:45:59 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 13:54:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>Not true. A crisp taco will have meat or beans, cheese that has not been
>>>melted, then lettuce and tomato. Street tacos will have grilled meat and
>>>usually pico de gallo. No cheese, no lettuce, soft tortilla.
>>>
>>>Neither have sour cream or guacamole on them, nor will they have olives.
>>>Nachos usually have olives.

>> I have never in my life seen nachos with olives

>https://www.swagbucks.com/?t=i&q=nachos
>
>Now you have! I guess you don't get out much. And how many do you see with
>lettuce?

pretty much all of the fully dressed nachos

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 11:20:00 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 03:05:43 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>>>I don't consider it to be a problem. I grew up on chlorinated water,
>>>so that's the way water is supposed to taste.

>>That's sad.
>>
>>==
>>
>> Yes, it is I suppose I did too but it has been so long since I Iived
>>there I can't remember The water in Scotland is lovely

>We're on tank (rain) water here. I've had a few looks into those tanks
>and ever since we use that water for everything but drinking
>
>==
>
> What do you drink?

We buy 10 liter containers of water or we boil our own water.

==

Ok!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 17:42:00 -0400, wrote:
>>
>>>... actually Mexicans eat far
>>>better than North Americans.

>>everyone in existence eats better than north americans (healthier
>>anyway)

>Samoans and some other islanders eat worse. When they walk, they
>travel the same distance sideways as forward.
>
>>> Mexican food consists of some of the
>>>best seafood on the planet,

>>seafood in mexican waters is not going to be that much different than
>>any other water in the amreicas

>I've had the best seafood dishes in France. And Australia has great
>seafood.
>
>>> And all sorts of produce that you've
>>>never seen because tropical produce doesn't ship well.

>>Not always true. Pineapples ship very well, and a good many others.

>Yes, mangos for one.
>
>>>And our resident Aloha boychick hasn't a clue about Asian cookery, he
>>>prepares the same crap that's readily available at any fast food Asian
>>>take out joint,

>He has as good a grip of Asian food as you have of nursing home food,
>pot roast daddy.
>
>>Thing about cooking in the states..... I can go to the tap and get the
>>water I need, even drink straight from the tap. Any guest I have over
>>from any other country could drink straight from the tap. Do that in
>>mexico....

>In Australia, town water often tastes of chlorine. Don't you have that
>problem in the US?

Well it all depends on where you are from. Through out most of the
country the water will have hints of chlorine. It just so happens that
where I am from the entire city gets all if its tap water from wells.
The water I think is perhaps filtered to get rid of any heavy metals
and dirt but other than that it is all natural. There is only chlorine
ever few years I think they do it just to flush the pipes but it is
still less than other places and it only lasts a week maybe 2.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Nacho Mama's Machaca [email protected] General Cooking 5 13-11-2013 03:02 AM
Nacho virgin biig General Cooking 76 07-07-2010 06:39 PM
Nacho Cheese metspitzer General Cooking 3 15-05-2008 10:06 PM
taco nacho Howard Johnson Sushi 0 24-12-2006 08:26 AM
Nacho dip without Velveeta? Josh Meyer General Cooking 14 12-06-2004 10:22 AM