Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The joy of 2nd rate produce

The other day we stopped at a roadside produce stand for the first time.
Much of what they had was not a pretty as the supermarket. What is
lacked in appearance it more than made up with it in flavor and price.

The supermarket tomatoes look pretty, but they lacked flavor and were a
way from being ripe. The ones bought here were fully ripe and made a
great tomato sandwich for lunch today.

Strawberries were great for $2 a quart. I sliced them up and just had
some for a snack. Again, nice color and lots of flavor, better than the
ones I saw for $3 and up. Peaches were pretty good too.

I get the impression they buy stuff that the big stores pass on because
it won't last as long, but at the right price, they move it. Good deal
if you are going to use it up quickly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 3:10:49 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> The other day we stopped at a roadside produce stand for the first time.
> Much of what they had was not a pretty as the supermarket. What is
> lacked in appearance it more than made up with it in flavor and price.
>
> The supermarket tomatoes look pretty, but they lacked flavor and were a
> way from being ripe. The ones bought here were fully ripe and made a
> great tomato sandwich for lunch today.
>
> Strawberries were great for $2 a quart. I sliced them up and just had
> some for a snack. Again, nice color and lots of flavor, better than the
> ones I saw for $3 and up. Peaches were pretty good too.
>
> I get the impression they buy stuff that the big stores pass on because
> it won't last as long, but at the right price, they move it. Good deal
> if you are going to use it up quickly.

I thought about you the other day when I gassed up my car in 15 F
weather with a brisk wind.

Enjoy your produce. You deserve every delicious morsel.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> The other day we stopped at a roadside produce stand for the first time.
> Much of what they had was not a pretty as the supermarket. What is
> lacked in appearance it more than made up with it in flavor and price.
>
> The supermarket tomatoes look pretty, but they lacked flavor and were a
> way from being ripe. The ones bought here were fully ripe and made a
> great tomato sandwich for lunch today.
>
> Strawberries were great for $2 a quart. I sliced them up and just had
> some for a snack. Again, nice color and lots of flavor, better than the
> ones I saw for $3 and up. Peaches were pretty good too.
>
> I get the impression they buy stuff that the big stores pass on because
> it won't last as long, but at the right price, they move it. Good deal
> if you are going to use it up quickly.

Song of Songs 7:8 NIV
https://www.biblestudytools.com/song...lomon/7-8.html

8 I said, I will climb the palm tree; I will take hold of its fruit. May your breasts be like clusters of grapes on the vine, the fragrance of your breath like apples..."

;-D

BTW Ed, do you plan on doing a little gardening at your new abode, or with all the great produce you have available would it even be worth it...???

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 15:04:01 -0800 (PST), GM
> wrote:

>Song of Songs 7:8 NIV
>https://www.biblestudytools.com/song...lomon/7-8.html
>
>8 I said, I will climb the palm tree; I will take hold of its fruit. May your breasts be like clusters of grapes on the vine, the fragrance of your breath like apples..."

Exactly! It doesn't say may your face look like a sow and may you
smell like a T-bone steak.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2019 6:04 PM, GM wrote:

> BTW Ed, do you plan on doing a little gardening at your new abode, or with all the great produce you have available would it even be worth it...???

I'm definitely putting some herbs, but not much more. Maybe a tomato
plant or two.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 12:39:37 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>I thought about you the other day when I gassed up my car in 15 F
>weather with a brisk wind.
>
>Enjoy your produce. You deserve every delicious morsel.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Oh, I don't miss that. There is a way around it though. After
reading this I had to go to the store. Here is the sunshine was a car
with a Michigan tag on it. I guess they chose not to fill up in 15
degree weather.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 11:02:38 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 12:39:37 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>

> >I thought about you the other day when I gassed up my car in 15 F
> >weather with a brisk wind.
> >
> >Enjoy your produce. You deserve every delicious morsel.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> Oh, I don't miss that. There is a way around it though. After
> reading this I had to go to the store. Here is the sunshine was a car
> with a Michigan tag on it. I guess they chose not to fill up in 15
> degree weather.

The thought of moving makes me a little faint. I think when my
husband dies I'm just going to burn down his workshop so I don't
have to deal with it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-07 12:41 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 11:02:38 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> Oh, I don't miss that. There is a way around it though. After
>> reading this I had to go to the store. Here is the sunshine was a car
>> with a Michigan tag on it. I guess they chose not to fill up in 15
>> degree weather.

> The thought of moving makes me a little faint. I think when my
> husband dies I'm just going to burn down his workshop so I don't
> have to deal with it.

I should suggest that to my wife's friend. It has now been about 15
years since her mother died and she came down to clean out the house.
He mother was a bit of a back rate. As far as I know, rather than
clearing the place out and getting rid of the crap she has managed to
fill it with even more crap. A lot of it is old newspapers, books and
magazines, none of which will ever be read again. One time she came
down because there was some sort of assessor coming to see the house and
she had to clear out a passage down the hall for the guy.

A fire would save her a lot of work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 10:10:49 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> The other day we stopped at a roadside produce stand for the first time.
> Much of what they had was not a pretty as the supermarket. What is
> lacked in appearance it more than made up with it in flavor and price.
>
> The supermarket tomatoes look pretty, but they lacked flavor and were a
> way from being ripe. The ones bought here were fully ripe and made a
> great tomato sandwich for lunch today.
>
> Strawberries were great for $2 a quart. I sliced them up and just had
> some for a snack. Again, nice color and lots of flavor, better than the
> ones I saw for $3 and up. Peaches were pretty good too.
>
> I get the impression they buy stuff that the big stores pass on because
> it won't last as long, but at the right price, they move it. Good deal
> if you are going to use it up quickly.

One of our relatives had a papaya farm. He brought over some off-grade papaya. They were too large to sell so we got them. These were giant funny-looking fruits. They pretty tasty too. Unsalable mutant papayas are just fine with me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-07 2:35 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 10:10:49 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski
> wrote:
>> The other day we stopped at a roadside produce stand for the first
>> time. Much of what they had was not a pretty as the supermarket.
>> What is lacked in appearance it more than made up with it in flavor
>> and price.
>>
>> The supermarket tomatoes look pretty, but they lacked flavor and
>> were a way from being ripe. The ones bought here were fully ripe
>> and made a great tomato sandwich for lunch today.
>>
>> Strawberries were great for $2 a quart. I sliced them up and just
>> had some for a snack. Again, nice color and lots of flavor, better
>> than the ones I saw for $3 and up. Peaches were pretty good too.
>>
>> I get the impression they buy stuff that the big stores pass on
>> because it won't last as long, but at the right price, they move
>> it. Good deal if you are going to use it up quickly.

> One of our relatives had a papaya farm. He brought over some
> off-grade papaya. They were too large to sell so we got them. These
> were giant funny-looking fruits. They pretty tasty too. Unsalable
> mutant papayas are just fine with me.

I get a lot of my produce from Food Basics, a discount grocery store
with a name for good produce. They sell a lot of misshapen peppers.
They may not be perfectly symmetrical. They may have pointed ends
instead of nice round ones. You can't count on seeding and slicing them
easily by cutting into them flattening them and slicing off the ribs,
but they still taste the same. They cost about half as much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2019 12:41 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 11:02:38 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 12:39:37 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> I thought about you the other day when I gassed up my car in 15 F
>>> weather with a brisk wind.
>>>
>>> Enjoy your produce. You deserve every delicious morsel.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> Oh, I don't miss that. There is a way around it though. After
>> reading this I had to go to the store. Here is the sunshine was a car
>> with a Michigan tag on it. I guess they chose not to fill up in 15
>> degree weather.

> The thought of moving makes me a little faint. I think when my
> husband dies I'm just going to burn down his workshop so I don't
> have to deal with it.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Workshop is easy. Someone will buy it and clear it out for much less
than the stuff is worth. Just take the low-ball offer and be done.

Moving is not easy, but varies according to your ability to get rid of
"stuff". We brought some stuff that should have been given away
beforehand. Easier to buy new if you really need it. Trust me, you
don't need much of what you have.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-07 6:30 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/7/2019 12:41 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> The thought of moving makes me a little faint.* I think when my
>> husband dies I'm just going to burn down his workshop so I don't
>> have to deal with it.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> Workshop is easy.* Someone will buy it and clear it out for much less
> than the stuff is worth.* Just take the low-ball offer and be done.
>
> Moving is not easy, but varies according to your ability to get rid of
> "stuff".* We brought some stuff that should have been given away
> beforehand.* Easier to buy new if you really need it.* Trust me, you
> don't need much of what you have.

My SiL had an aunt and uncle who both had good jobs and no kids. When
the uncle died my father had to help clear the place out. The guy had a
done of tools, all top brands and most of them, not only unused, but
still in the box. There were multiple drills, hand saws, and all in
brand new condition. However bought that stuff scored big time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 1:36:24 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-03-07 6:30 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 3/7/2019 12:41 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> The thought of moving makes me a little faint.* I think when my
> >> husband dies I'm just going to burn down his workshop so I don't
> >> have to deal with it.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton
> >>

> > Workshop is easy.* Someone will buy it and clear it out for much less
> > than the stuff is worth.* Just take the low-ball offer and be done..
> >
> > Moving is not easy, but varies according to your ability to get rid of
> > "stuff".* We brought some stuff that should have been given away
> > beforehand.* Easier to buy new if you really need it.* Trust me, you
> > don't need much of what you have.

> My SiL had an aunt and uncle who both had good jobs and no kids. When
> the uncle died my father had to help clear the place out. The guy had a
> done of tools, all top brands and most of them, not only unused, but
> still in the box. There were multiple drills, hand saws, and all in
> brand new condition. However bought that stuff scored big time.

My father-in-law had stuff like that except it was computer stuff. I should have kept some of that crap. He had a PC board about 20" long that was stuffed with IC chips. It was a 1 MB RAM board which cost about $1000. The kids would have gotten a kick out of that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2019 6:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/7/2019 12:41 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 11:02:38 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 12:39:37 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>>> Oh, I don't miss that.* There is a way around it though.* After
>>> reading this I had to go to the store.* Here is the sunshine was a car
>>> with a Michigan tag on it.* I guess they chose not to fill up in 15
>>> degree weather.

>> The thought of moving makes me a little faint.* I think when my
>> husband dies I'm just going to burn down his workshop so I don't
>> have to deal with it.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> Workshop is easy.* Someone will buy it and clear it out for much less
> than the stuff is worth.* Just take the low-ball offer and be done.
>
> Moving is not easy, but varies according to your ability to get rid of
> "stuff".* We brought some stuff that should have been given away
> beforehand.* Easier to buy new if you really need it.* Trust me, you
> don't need much of what you have.

But Ed! You need a basement! That way you'll have room for all that
stuff. And you'll surely want to pack up and move back up north again
because I know you're missing the snow and everything that goes along
with Winter.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2019 7:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/7/2019 6:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> The thought of moving makes me a little faint.* I think when my
>>> husband dies I'm just going to burn down his workshop so I don't
>>> have to deal with it.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Workshop is easy.* Someone will buy it and clear it out for much less
>> than the stuff is worth.* Just take the low-ball offer and be done.
>>
>> Moving is not easy, but varies according to your ability to get rid of
>> "stuff".* We brought some stuff that should have been given away
>> beforehand.* Easier to buy new if you really need it.* Trust me, you
>> don't need much of what you have.

> But Ed!* You need a basement!* That way you'll have room for all that
> stuff.* And you'll surely want to pack up and move back up north again
> because I know you're missing the snow and everything that goes along
> with Winter.
>
> Jill

That's the problem with basements, you have space to add more stuff.

I called a friend a few days ago and she just spent 3 hours shoveling
16" of snow. I didn't miss it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 18:38:17 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-03-07 6:30 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 3/7/2019 12:41 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> The thought of moving makes me a little faint.* I think when my
>>> husband dies I'm just going to burn down his workshop so I don't
>>> have to deal with it.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Workshop is easy.* Someone will buy it and clear it out for much less
>> than the stuff is worth.* Just take the low-ball offer and be done.
>>
>> Moving is not easy, but varies according to your ability to get rid of
>> "stuff".* We brought some stuff that should have been given away
>> beforehand.* Easier to buy new if you really need it.* Trust me, you
>> don't need much of what you have.

>My SiL had an aunt and uncle who both had good jobs and no kids. When
>the uncle died my father had to help clear the place out. The guy had a
>done of tools, all top brands and most of them, not only unused, but
>still in the box. There were multiple drills, hand saws, and all in
>brand new condition. However bought that stuff scored big time.

Our house is for sale, and hopefully it will sell before summer. We're
moving from South-eastern Ontario to Edmonton, Alberta, where our
daughter lives with her family.

Thanks for the idea of having someone clear out the workshop (barn, in
our case). The thought of doing that was scaring me. We have
everything from chain saws to roto-tillers to scrap metal.

This is a huge stressful thing. We are hoping we can sell the house
with all the furniture to someone who wants to use it as a summer home
or summer weekly rental. If not, we'll have to ship all our furniture
out there.

We'll be buying a condo when we get to Edmonton, and staying in DD's
cottage while we look for somewhere. Then buying all new furniture if
we need to.

Oh, and we have to drive two cars out there, because DH likes both of
them and doesn't want to sell either one. So that means I have to
drive for 5 days by myself.

If I disappear from the newsgroup in the meantime, it's because I've
had a complete nervous breakdown. :-)

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2019 10:34 PM, Doris Night wrote:

> Thanks for the idea of having someone clear out the workshop (barn, in
> our case). The thought of doing that was scaring me. We have
> everything from chain saws to roto-tillers to scrap metal.
>
> This is a huge stressful thing. We are hoping we can sell the house
> with all the furniture to someone who wants to use it as a summer home
> or summer weekly rental. If not, we'll have to ship all our furniture
> out there.
>
> We'll be buying a condo when we get to Edmonton, and staying in DD's
> cottage while we look for somewhere. Then buying all new furniture if
> we need to.
>
> Oh, and we have to drive two cars out there, because DH likes both of
> them and doesn't want to sell either one. So that means I have to
> drive for 5 days by myself.
>
> If I disappear from the newsgroup in the meantime, it's because I've
> had a complete nervous breakdown. :-)
>
> Doris

Good luck with the sale and move. Start getting rid of stuff you don't
want and don't hesitate to get rid of it. We hauled some furniture and
ended up getting rid of it here.

Check clothing too. Now is the time to clear out the things you've not
worn for months.

As for driving two cars, who wants a vacation? Family member, good
friends, trusted neighbor? Twice I drove cars cross country and flew
back. Perhaps you can recruit someone to do it for you. I did it for
the price of gas only and paid the rest of the expenses because it was a
fun thing to do. You ride with hubby and the other person starts out a
couple of days later and meets you there. Heck, if I could get away I'd
do if for you just for fun.

The stress of sorting and packing is much more than the few bucks to
replace stuff. Be harsh and give it away. You won't be sorry. Do take
a few family photos, of course/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-07 10:34 p.m., Doris Night wrote:

> Our house is for sale, and hopefully it will sell before summer. We're
> moving from South-eastern Ontario to Edmonton, Alberta, where our
> daughter lives with her family.
>
> Thanks for the idea of having someone clear out the workshop (barn, in
> our case). The thought of doing that was scaring me. We have
> everything from chain saws to roto-tillers to scrap metal.
>
> This is a huge stressful thing. We are hoping we can sell the house
> with all the furniture to someone who wants to use it as a summer home
> or summer weekly rental. If not, we'll have to ship all our furniture
> out there.
>
> We'll be buying a condo when we get to Edmonton, and staying in DD's
> cottage while we look for somewhere. Then buying all new furniture if
> we need to.

If you don't expect any money for the furniture you should consider a
charity. I know that a native centre here will send a truck and crew to
take just about everything.

> Oh, and we have to drive two cars out there, because DH likes both of
> them and doesn't want to sell either one. So that means I have to
> drive for 5 days by myself.
>
> If I disappear from the newsgroup in the meantime, it's because I've
> had a complete nervous breakdown. :-)
>
> Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 18:38:17 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

Park the coffin in there first, and save on funeral costs. I
reckon many men whould love to be cremated in their workshop.

> >> Workshop is easy.* Someone will buy it and clear it out for much less
> >> than the stuff is worth.* Just take the low-ball offer and be done.
> >>
> >> Moving is not easy, but varies according to your ability to get rid of
> >> "stuff".* We brought some stuff that should have been given away
> >> beforehand.* Easier to buy new if you really need it.* Trust me, you
> >> don't need much of what you have.

> >My SiL had an aunt and uncle who both had good jobs and no kids. When
> >the uncle died my father had to help clear the place out. The guy had a
> >done of tools, all top brands and most of them, not only unused, but
> >still in the box. There were multiple drills, hand saws, and all in
> >brand new condition. However bought that stuff scored big time.

> Our house is for sale, and hopefully it will sell before summer. We're
> moving from South-eastern Ontario to Edmonton, Alberta, where our
> daughter lives with her family.
>
> Thanks for the idea of having someone clear out the workshop (barn, in
> our case). The thought of doing that was scaring me. We have
> everything from chain saws to roto-tillers to scrap metal.

Just hold a garage sale; most of it will be snapped up by local
people. We've had some great tools at bargain prices from garage sales.

> This is a huge stressful thing. We are hoping we can sell the house
> with all the furniture to someone who wants to use it as a summer home
> or summer weekly rental. If not, we'll have to ship all our furniture
> out there.

Nonsense to pay to ship it,l when you could call a house-clearance
business who will take it away and pay you (not very much but better
than the hassle and expense of moving it). If you can't find a clearance
business, offer it to local charities who can either rehome it to the
needy or sell it to raise funds.

> Oh, and we have to drive two cars out there, because DH likes both of
> them and doesn't want to sell either one. So that means I have to
> drive for 5 days by myself.

You might find someone local who hates flying, to drive some or all
of it for you in exchange for free transport; you pay the gas (which you
would anyway). Ask local courier businesses.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-07 8:34 p.m., Doris Night wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 18:38:17 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> Workshop is easy.* Someone will buy it and clear it out for much less
>>> than the stuff is worth.* Just take the low-ball offer and be done.
>>>
>>> Moving is not easy, but varies according to your ability to get rid of
>>> "stuff".* We brought some stuff that should have been given away
>>> beforehand.* Easier to buy new if you really need it.* Trust me, you
>>> don't need much of what you have.

>> My SiL had an aunt and uncle who both had good jobs and no kids. When
>> the uncle died my father had to help clear the place out. The guy had a
>> done of tools, all top brands and most of them, not only unused, but
>> still in the box. There were multiple drills, hand saws, and all in
>> brand new condition. However bought that stuff scored big time.

> Our house is for sale, and hopefully it will sell before summer. We're
> moving from South-eastern Ontario to Edmonton, Alberta, where our
> daughter lives with her family.
>
> Thanks for the idea of having someone clear out the workshop (barn, in
> our case). The thought of doing that was scaring me. We have
> everything from chain saws to roto-tillers to scrap metal.
>
> This is a huge stressful thing. We are hoping we can sell the house
> with all the furniture to someone who wants to use it as a summer home
> or summer weekly rental. If not, we'll have to ship all our furniture
> out there.
>
> We'll be buying a condo when we get to Edmonton, and staying in DD's
> cottage while we look for somewhere. Then buying all new furniture if
> we need to.
>
> Oh, and we have to drive two cars out there, because DH likes both of
> them and doesn't want to sell either one. So that means I have to
> drive for 5 days by myself.
>
> If I disappear from the newsgroup in the meantime, it's because I've
> had a complete nervous breakdown. :-)
>
> Doris

There are companies here in Calgary that will "stage" your downsizing.
They advertise and look after selling your excess stuff in what is
effectively a giant garage sale. There was one near me a few weeks ago
that had her fancy shoes and his expensive wine in the sale. You
couldn't get near the place and apparently they had to have people on
the door controlling the number allowed in the house.

Chicago Cutlery: plz rate ++ Kalmia General Cooking 58 25-07-2013 08:23 AM
What failure rate? [email protected] Preserving 17 14-05-2006 12:18 PM
rate my site please jessica Recipes 3 03-03-2005 04:25 PM
Can you rate this recipe? W l r s Winemaking 25 10-08-2004 01:36 AM
rate this recipe, please hahabogus General Cooking 6 08-03-2004 04:20 AM