Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bean sprouts

I know this subject came up before. I thought they were no longer available
for sale. But I noticed some stores selling other types of sprouts. Like
micro-greens.

I recently bought fresh bean sprouts at Winco and also at Sprouts. A new
Sprouts just opened in Lynnwood. Both were re-packaged.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 16:22:35 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I know this subject came up before. I thought they were no longer available
>for sale. But I noticed some stores selling other types of sprouts. Like
>micro-greens.
>
>I recently bought fresh bean sprouts at Winco and also at Sprouts. A new
>Sprouts just opened in Lynnwood. Both were re-packaged.

Really? You found them at Winco? I'll have to look. Thx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 16:22:35 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> I know this subject came up before. I thought they were no longer available
> for sale. But I noticed some stores selling other types of sprouts. Like
> micro-greens.
>
> I recently bought fresh bean sprouts at Winco and also at Sprouts. A new
> Sprouts just opened in Lynnwood. Both were re-packaged.

What, did you think they were illegal? And how would you know they
wrre "trerpackaged"? dn why should we care about either?

They have always been for sale, and will always be for sale. Even
on your little planet.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:30:35 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 16:22:35 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I know this subject came up before. I thought they were no longer available
>> for sale. But I noticed some stores selling other types of sprouts. Like
>> micro-greens.
>>
>> I recently bought fresh bean sprouts at Winco and also at Sprouts. A new
>> Sprouts just opened in Lynnwood. Both were re-packaged.

>What, did you think they were illegal? And how would you know they
>wrre "trerpackaged"? dn why should we care about either?
>
>They have always been for sale, and will always be for sale. Even
>on your little planet.
>
>-sw

I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
them at a store we have here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2019 10:26 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:30:35 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 16:22:35 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I know this subject came up before. I thought they were no longer available
>>> for sale. But I noticed some stores selling other types of sprouts. Like
>>> micro-greens.
>>>
>>> I recently bought fresh bean sprouts at Winco and also at Sprouts. A new
>>> Sprouts just opened in Lynnwood. Both were re-packaged.

>> What, did you think they were illegal? And how would you know they
>> wrre "trerpackaged"? dn why should we care about either?
>>
>> They have always been for sale, and will always be for sale. Even
>> on your little planet.
>>
>> -sw

> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
> them at a store we have here.

Â* I don't know the package size , but we found that when we bought
fresh we usually ended up tossing some because we just don't use that
many - kinda like buying a whole head of bok choi for one Oriental
dinner . Just looking on eBay , mung beans for sprouting can be had
reasonably . Just gotta plan that dinner a few days in advance ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:26:04 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:30:35 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 16:22:35 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I know this subject came up before. I thought they were no longer available
>>> for sale. But I noticed some stores selling other types of sprouts. Like
>>> micro-greens.
>>>
>>> I recently bought fresh bean sprouts at Winco and also at Sprouts. A new
>>> Sprouts just opened in Lynnwood. Both were re-packaged.

>>What, did you think they were illegal? And how would you know they
>>wrre "trerpackaged"? dn why should we care about either?
>>
>>They have always been for sale, and will always be for sale. Even
>>on your little planet.
>>
>>-sw

> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
> them at a store we have here.

I wouldn't trust anything the produce people say at your store.
they've been here forever. Price fluctuates, but I can always get
them (mung bean sprouts) at the major stores except Walmart. I
can't get daikon anywhere, but I can still get bean sprouts most
places.

The grocery stores just need to get reliable suppliers that don't
grow the in the portapotty tippings. Telling you they're dangerous
is just a copout.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 23:01:12 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:

> On 2/23/2019 10:26 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
>> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
>> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
>> them at a store we have here.

> * I don't know the package size , but we found that when we bought
> fresh we usually ended up tossing some because we just don't use that
> many - kinda like buying a whole head of bok choi for one Oriental
> dinner . Just looking on eBay , mung beans for sprouting can be had
> reasonably . Just gotta plan that dinner a few days in advance ...

When I have more bean spouts than I need I blanch them and make a
non-fermented kimchi - soy sauce, sesame oil, gochujang, bit of
sugar and 6 hours and they're good to go and keep 3-4 days.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 2/23/2019 10:26 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:30:35 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> What, did you think they were illegal? And how would you know they
>>> wrre "trerpackaged"? dn why should we care about either?
>>>
>>> They have always been for sale, and will always be for sale. Even
>>> on your little planet.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
>> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
>> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
>> them at a store we have here.

> * I don't know the package size , but we found that when we bought
>fresh we usually ended up tossing some because we just don't use that
>many - kinda like buying a whole head of bok choi for one Oriental
>dinner . Just looking on eBay , mung beans for sprouting can be had
>reasonably . Just gotta plan that dinner a few days in advance ...

I have seeds for mung sprouts. Problem was that I decided what I
wanted to make for dinner and couldn't get mung bean sprouts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 00:27:04 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:26:04 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:30:35 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>What, did you think they were illegal? And how would you know they
>>>wrre "trerpackaged"? dn why should we care about either?
>>>
>>>They have always been for sale, and will always be for sale. Even
>>>on your little planet.
>>>
>>>-sw

>> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
>> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
>> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
>> them at a store we have here.

>I wouldn't trust anything the produce people say at your store.
>they've been here forever. Price fluctuates, but I can always get
>them (mung bean sprouts) at the major stores except Walmart. I
>can't get daikon anywhere, but I can still get bean sprouts most
>places.
>
>The grocery stores just need to get reliable suppliers that don't
>grow the in the portapotty tippings. Telling you they're dangerous
>is just a copout.

I can get daikon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 16:22:35 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I know this subject came up before. I thought they were no longer
>>available
>>for sale. But I noticed some stores selling other types of sprouts. Like
>>micro-greens.
>>
>>I recently bought fresh bean sprouts at Winco and also at Sprouts. A new
>>Sprouts just opened in Lynnwood. Both were re-packaged.

> Really? You found them at Winco? I'll have to look. Thx

Yep!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 16:22:35 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I know this subject came up before. I thought they were no longer
>> available
>> for sale. But I noticed some stores selling other types of sprouts. Like
>> micro-greens.
>>
>> I recently bought fresh bean sprouts at Winco and also at Sprouts. A new
>> Sprouts just opened in Lynnwood. Both were re-packaged.

> What, did you think they were illegal? And how would you know they
> wrre "trerpackaged"? dn why should we care about either?

That should have read "pre-pavckaged". They used to be sold bulk.

> They have always been for sale, and will always be for sale. Even
> on your little planet.

No they haven't. Most stores quit selling them because people kept getting
food poisoning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:30:35 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 16:22:35 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I know this subject came up before. I thought they were no longer
>>> available
>>> for sale. But I noticed some stores selling other types of sprouts. Like
>>> micro-greens.
>>>
>>> I recently bought fresh bean sprouts at Winco and also at Sprouts. A new
>>> Sprouts just opened in Lynnwood. Both were re-packaged.

>>What, did you think they were illegal? And how would you know they
>>wrre "trerpackaged"? dn why should we care about either?
>>
>>They have always been for sale, and will always be for sale. Even
>>on your little planet.
>>
>>-sw

> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
> them at a store we have here.

Yep! Fred Meyers and Trader Joes don't sell them either. I was shocked!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
> On 2/23/2019 10:26 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:30:35 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> What, did you think they were illegal? And how would you know they
>>> wrre "trerpackaged"? dn why should we care about either?
>>>
>>> They have always been for sale, and will always be for sale. Even
>>> on your little planet.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
>> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
>> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
>> them at a store we have here.

> I don't know the package size , but we found that when we bought fresh we
> usually ended up tossing some because we just don't use that many - kinda
> like buying a whole head of bok choi for one Oriental dinner . Just
> looking on eBay , mung beans for sprouting can be had reasonably . Just
> gotta plan that dinner a few days in advance ...

I used to grow my own sprouts but they're a PITA.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:26:04 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:30:35 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>What, did you think they were illegal? And how would you know they
>>>wrre "trerpackaged"? dn why should we care about either?
>>>
>>>They have always been for sale, and will always be for sale. Even
>>>on your little planet.
>>>
>>>-sw

>> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
>> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
>> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
>> them at a store we have here.

> I wouldn't trust anything the produce people say at your store.
> they've been here forever. Price fluctuates, but I can always get
> them (mung bean sprouts) at the major stores except Walmart. I
> can't get daikon anywhere, but I can still get bean sprouts most
> places.
>
> The grocery stores just need to get reliable suppliers that don't
> grow the in the portapotty tippings. Telling you they're dangerous
> is just a copout.

https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/type...s/sprouts.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 00:27:04 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:26:04 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
>>> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
>>> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
>>> them at a store we have here.

>>I wouldn't trust anything the produce people say at your store.
>>they've been here forever. Price fluctuates, but I can always get
>>them (mung bean sprouts) at the major stores except Walmart. I
>>can't get daikon anywhere, but I can still get bean sprouts most
>>places.
>>
>>The grocery stores just need to get reliable suppliers that don't
>>grow the in the portapotty tippings. Telling you they're dangerous
>>is just a copout.

> I can get daikon.

Me too. Could not get sprouts until recently.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:26:04 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:30:35 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>What, did you think they were illegal? And how would you know they
>>>wrre "trerpackaged"? dn why should we care about either?
>>>
>>>They have always been for sale, and will always be for sale. Even
>>>on your little planet.
>>>
>>>-sw

>> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
>> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
>> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
>> them at a store we have here.

> I wouldn't trust anything the produce people say at your store.
> they've been here forever. Price fluctuates, but I can always get
> them (mung bean sprouts) at the major stores except Walmart. I
> can't get daikon anywhere, but I can still get bean sprouts most
> places.
>
> The grocery stores just need to get reliable suppliers that don't
> grow the in the portapotty tippings. Telling you they're dangerous
> is just a copout.

https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/type...s/sprouts.html

==

They are something we have very rarely, but after reading that, no more!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 10:29:31 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:26:04 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
>>> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
>>> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
>>> them at a store we have here.

>> I wouldn't trust anything the produce people say at your store.
>> they've been here forever. Price fluctuates, but I can always get
>> them (mung bean sprouts) at the major stores except Walmart. I
>> can't get daikon anywhere, but I can still get bean sprouts most
>> places.
>>
>> The grocery stores just need to get reliable suppliers that don't
>> grow the in the portapotty tippings. Telling you they're dangerous
>> is just a copout.

>https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/type...s/sprouts.html
>
>==
>
>They are something we have very rarely, but after reading that, no more!

I had taugé (mung bean sprouts) all my childhood. Rinse, pour hot
water over, peanut sauce optional, eat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 11:26:11 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:30:35 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 16:22:35 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> >> I know this subject came up before. I thought they were no longer available
> >> for sale. But I noticed some stores selling other types of sprouts. Like
> >> micro-greens.
> >>
> >> I recently bought fresh bean sprouts at Winco and also at Sprouts. A new
> >> Sprouts just opened in Lynnwood. Both were re-packaged.

> >What, did you think they were illegal? And how would you know they
> >wrre "trerpackaged"? dn why should we care about either?
> >
> >They have always been for sale, and will always be for sale. Even
> >on your little planet.
> >
> >-sw

> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
> them at a store we have here.

I saw radish sprouts and a couple other kinds at Whole Paycheck the last
time I was there.

My regular grocery has mung bean sprouts, but they always look like they're
on their last legs. If I want those, I stop in at the Korean grocery.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:26:04 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
>>> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
>>> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
>>> them at a store we have here.

>> I wouldn't trust anything the produce people say at your store.
>> they've been here forever. Price fluctuates, but I can always get
>> them (mung bean sprouts) at the major stores except Walmart. I
>> can't get daikon anywhere, but I can still get bean sprouts most
>> places.
>>
>> The grocery stores just need to get reliable suppliers that don't
>> grow the in the portapotty tippings. Telling you they're dangerous
>> is just a copout.

>https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/type...s/sprouts.html
>
>==
>
>They are something we have very rarely, but after reading that, no more!

I had taugé (mung bean sprouts) all my childhood. Rinse, pour hot
water over, peanut sauce optional, eat.

==

Hmm will have a wee look at that. Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 01:16:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

snip

>https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/type...s/sprouts.html

thanks for that. I knew that info was around somewhere
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2019 12:01 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 01:16:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> snip
>>
>> https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/type...s/sprouts.html

> thanks for that. I knew that info was around somewhere

Okay, not that I'd be looking for or buying bean sprouts, but I read the
information on the link. Here's the thing I don't understand. To
reduce your risk the site recommends:

"Cook sprouts thoroughly to reduce the risk of illness. Cooking kills
the harmful bacteria."

"Request that raw sprouts not be added to your food. If you purchase a
sandwich or salad at a restaurant or delicatessen, check to make sure
that raw sprouts have not been added."

Don't ask me why, but I was always under the impression people who
bought and used fresh bean sprouts were using them raw, added to a salad
or as a veggie topping on some sort of sandwich. Go figure.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 12:13:24 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/24/2019 12:01 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 01:16:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> snip
>>>
>>> https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/type...s/sprouts.html

>> thanks for that. I knew that info was around somewhere
>>

>Okay, not that I'd be looking for or buying bean sprouts, but I read the
>information on the link. Here's the thing I don't understand. To
>reduce your risk the site recommends:
>
>"Cook sprouts thoroughly to reduce the risk of illness. Cooking kills
>the harmful bacteria."
>
>"Request that raw sprouts not be added to your food. If you purchase a
>sandwich or salad at a restaurant or delicatessen, check to make sure
>that raw sprouts have not been added."
>
>Don't ask me why, but I was always under the impression people who
>bought and used fresh bean sprouts were using them raw, added to a salad
>or as a veggie topping on some sort of sandwich. Go figure.
>
>Jill

think stir fry, ramen, soup
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 12:13:39 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 2/24/2019 12:01 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 01:16:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > snip
> >>
> >> https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/type...s/sprouts.html

> > thanks for that. I knew that info was around somewhere
> >

> Okay, not that I'd be looking for or buying bean sprouts, but I read the
> information on the link. Here's the thing I don't understand. To
> reduce your risk the site recommends:
>
> "Cook sprouts thoroughly to reduce the risk of illness. Cooking kills
> the harmful bacteria."
>
> "Request that raw sprouts not be added to your food. If you purchase a
> sandwich or salad at a restaurant or delicatessen, check to make sure
> that raw sprouts have not been added."
>
> Don't ask me why, but I was always under the impression people who
> bought and used fresh bean sprouts were using them raw, added to a salad
> or as a veggie topping on some sort of sandwich. Go figure.
>
> Jill

Radish sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, and broccoli sprouts are (or were)
common on sandwiches.

Not all sprouts are bean sprouts.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 10:23:08 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 12:13:24 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>On 2/24/2019 12:01 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 01:16:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>>>
>>> snip

>>> thanks for that. I knew that info was around somewhere
>>>

>>Okay, not that I'd be looking for or buying bean sprouts, but I read the
>>information on the link. Here's the thing I don't understand. To
>>reduce your risk the site recommends:
>>
>>"Cook sprouts thoroughly to reduce the risk of illness. Cooking kills
>>the harmful bacteria."
>>
>>"Request that raw sprouts not be added to your food. If you purchase a
>>sandwich or salad at a restaurant or delicatessen, check to make sure
>>that raw sprouts have not been added."
>>
>>Don't ask me why, but I was always under the impression people who
>>bought and used fresh bean sprouts were using them raw, added to a salad
>>or as a veggie topping on some sort of sandwich. Go figure.
>>
>>Jill

>think stir fry, ramen, soup

also think raw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2019 12:44 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 12:13:39 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> On 2/24/2019 12:01 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 01:16:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>>>
>>> snip

>>> thanks for that. I knew that info was around somewhere
>>>

>> Okay, not that I'd be looking for or buying bean sprouts, but I read the
>> information on the link. Here's the thing I don't understand. To
>> reduce your risk the site recommends:
>>
>> "Cook sprouts thoroughly to reduce the risk of illness. Cooking kills
>> the harmful bacteria."
>>
>> "Request that raw sprouts not be added to your food. If you purchase a
>> sandwich or salad at a restaurant or delicatessen, check to make sure
>> that raw sprouts have not been added."
>>
>> Don't ask me why, but I was always under the impression people who
>> bought and used fresh bean sprouts were using them raw, added to a salad
>> or as a veggie topping on some sort of sandwich. Go figure.
>>
>> Jill

> Radish sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, and broccoli sprouts are (or were)
> common on sandwiches.
>
> Not all sprouts are bean sprouts.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Of course. But the subject *is* bean sprouts.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2019 3:10 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
>> On 2/23/2019 10:26 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> I tried recently to buy sprouts.Â* I was told at Albertsons they didn't
>>> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sproutsÂ* some
>>> years ago.Â* I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
>>> them at a store we have here.

>> Â*I don't know the package size , but we found that when we bought
>> fresh we usually ended up tossing some because we just don't use that
>> many - kinda like buying a whole head of bok choi for one Oriental
>> dinner . Just looking on eBay , mung beans for sprouting can be had
>> reasonably . Just gotta plan that dinner a few days in advance ...

> I used to grow my own sprouts but they're a PITA.

Â* Well , it wouldn't be a problem for me , I'm home pretty much all the
time . Just one more "plant" to tend - I've probably got close to 40
house plants and garden seedlings going right now . (A lot of those
house plants will be sold for Mother's day gifts.)

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2019 12:23 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 12:13:24 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/24/2019 12:01 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 01:16:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>>>
>>> snip

>>> thanks for that. I knew that info was around somewhere
>>>

>> Okay, not that I'd be looking for or buying bean sprouts, but I read the
>> information on the link. Here's the thing I don't understand. To
>> reduce your risk the site recommends:
>>
>> "Cook sprouts thoroughly to reduce the risk of illness. Cooking kills
>> the harmful bacteria."
>>
>> "Request that raw sprouts not be added to your food. If you purchase a
>> sandwich or salad at a restaurant or delicatessen, check to make sure
>> that raw sprouts have not been added."
>>
>> Don't ask me why, but I was always under the impression people who
>> bought and used fresh bean sprouts were using them raw, added to a salad
>> or as a veggie topping on some sort of sandwich. Go figure.
>>
>> Jill

> think stir fry, ramen, soup

True. I don't think about stir fry or ramen type meals very often.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 13:07:05 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/24/2019 12:23 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 12:13:24 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Okay, not that I'd be looking for or buying bean sprouts, but I read the
>>> information on the link. Here's the thing I don't understand. To
>>> reduce your risk the site recommends:
>>>
>>> "Cook sprouts thoroughly to reduce the risk of illness. Cooking kills
>>> the harmful bacteria."
>>>
>>> "Request that raw sprouts not be added to your food. If you purchase a
>>> sandwich or salad at a restaurant or delicatessen, check to make sure
>>> that raw sprouts have not been added."
>>>
>>> Don't ask me why, but I was always under the impression people who
>>> bought and used fresh bean sprouts were using them raw, added to a salad
>>> or as a veggie topping on some sort of sandwich. Go figure.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> think stir fry, ramen, soup
>>

>True. I don't think about stir fry or ramen type meals very often.

We know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 2/23/2019 10:26 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:30:35 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> What, did you think they were illegal? And how would you know they
>>> wrre "trerpackaged"? dn why should we care about either?
>>>
>>> They have always been for sale, and will always be for sale. Even
>>> on your little planet.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
>> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
>> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
>> them at a store we have here.

> * I don't know the package size , but we found that when we bought
>fresh we usually ended up tossing some because we just don't use that
>many - kinda like buying a whole head of bok choi for one Oriental
>dinner . Just looking on eBay , mung beans for sprouting can be had
>reasonably . Just gotta plan that dinner a few days in advance ...

Perhaps what you bought isn't as fresh as you think. Bean sprouts and
bok choi when stir fried cook down to about half, and then when sauced
cook down even more. It was a very large head of bok choi bought
recently so I reserved ten inner stalks to add to a tossed salad, and
that's what I'm eating right now. I've never found that Chinese
greens go off quickly, a fresh head of bok choi will easily keep well
for three weeks in the fridge... it's a type of cabbage. Bean sprouts
go off after a week, but I don't see them for sale any more. I don't
try to save stir fry veggies, I prepare them all right away. I can
finish a 4 quart pot of chow mein in two days. However eaten raw in a
salad they are a lot more filling. I like the white part of bok choi
as crudites for dipping, cut into sticks it good for dipping in salsa.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:26:04 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:30:35 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>What, did you think they were illegal? And how would you know they
>>>wrre "trerpackaged"? dn why should we care about either?
>>>
>>>They have always been for sale, and will always be for sale. Even
>>>on your little planet.
>>>
>>>-sw

>> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
>> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
>> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
>> them at a store we have here.

>I wouldn't trust anything the produce people say at your store.
>they've been here forever. Price fluctuates, but I can always get
>them (mung bean sprouts) at the major stores except Walmart. I
>can't get daikon anywhere, but I can still get bean sprouts most
>places.
>
>The grocery stores just need to get reliable suppliers that don't
>grow the in the portapotty tippings. Telling you they're dangerous
>is just a copout.

Depending on location bean sprouts don't sell before they spoil, and
the stores need to buy a fairly large crate from the wholesaler. The
only Oriental veggies stocked around here is bok choy and napa, and
only a minimal delivery once a week... often I can't buy bok choy as
it's sold out.... I don't list Ginger root in that group but I can buy
that, There are very few Orientals living in this area and only one
Chinese take out in town and their food is disgusting... they sell
something called Boneless Spareribs... I've no idea what cut of meat
it is and I'll never buy it again, tossed it out for the critters.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 1:05:48 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 2/24/2019 12:44 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Okay, not that I'd be looking for or buying bean sprouts, but I read the
> >> information on the link. Here's the thing I don't understand. To
> >> reduce your risk the site recommends:
> >>
> >> "Cook sprouts thoroughly to reduce the risk of illness. Cooking kills
> >> the harmful bacteria."
> >>
> >> "Request that raw sprouts not be added to your food. If you purchase a
> >> sandwich or salad at a restaurant or delicatessen, check to make sure
> >> that raw sprouts have not been added."
> >>
> >> Don't ask me why, but I was always under the impression people who
> >> bought and used fresh bean sprouts were using them raw, added to a salad
> >> or as a veggie topping on some sort of sandwich. Go figure.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > Radish sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, and broccoli sprouts are (or were)
> > common on sandwiches.
> >
> > Not all sprouts are bean sprouts.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Of course. But the subject *is* bean sprouts.
>
> Jill

The information from foodsafety.gov does not indicate that only
bean sprouts are risky.

Those other types are more commonly eaten raw. Bean sprouts are generally
cooked at least a little bit.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 10:23:08 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 12:13:24 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>On 2/24/2019 12:01 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 01:16:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>>>
>>> snip

>>> thanks for that. I knew that info was around somewhere
>>>

>>Okay, not that I'd be looking for or buying bean sprouts, but I read the
>>information on the link. Here's the thing I don't understand. To
>>reduce your risk the site recommends:
>>
>>"Cook sprouts thoroughly to reduce the risk of illness. Cooking kills
>>the harmful bacteria."
>>
>>"Request that raw sprouts not be added to your food. If you purchase a
>>sandwich or salad at a restaurant or delicatessen, check to make sure
>>that raw sprouts have not been added."
>>
>>Don't ask me why, but I was always under the impression people who
>>bought and used fresh bean sprouts were using them raw, added to a salad
>>or as a veggie topping on some sort of sandwich. Go figure.
>>
>>Jill

> think stir fry, ramen, soup

Pho, especially. Also a requirement for chow fun.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 2/24/2019 12:01 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 01:16:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> snip
>>>
>>> https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/type...s/sprouts.html

>> thanks for that. I knew that info was around somewhere
>>

>Okay, not that I'd be looking for or buying bean sprouts, but I read the
>information on the link. Here's the thing I don't understand. To
>reduce your risk the site recommends:
>
>"Cook sprouts thoroughly to reduce the risk of illness. Cooking kills
>the harmful bacteria."
>
>"Request that raw sprouts not be added to your food. If you purchase a
>sandwich or salad at a restaurant or delicatessen, check to make sure
>that raw sprouts have not been added."
>
>Don't ask me why, but I was always under the impression people who
>bought and used fresh bean sprouts were using them raw, added to a salad
>or as a veggie topping on some sort of sandwich. Go figure.
>
>Jill

think stir fry, ramen, soup

==

Yes, I have always added them to sauces, stir fry etc. They would be safe
then, yes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

On 2/24/2019 3:10 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
>> On 2/23/2019 10:26 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
>>> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
>>> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
>>> them at a store we have here.

>> I don't know the package size , but we found that when we bought
>> fresh we usually ended up tossing some because we just don't use that
>> many - kinda like buying a whole head of bok choi for one Oriental
>> dinner . Just looking on eBay , mung beans for sprouting can be had
>> reasonably . Just gotta plan that dinner a few days in advance ...

> I used to grow my own sprouts but they're a PITA.

Well , it wouldn't be a problem for me , I'm home pretty much all the
time . Just one more "plant" to tend - I've probably got close to 40
house plants and garden seedlings going right now . (A lot of those
house plants will be sold for Mother's day gifts.)

Snag

==

Brilliant) Lucky you

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-24 12:23 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 12:13:24 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>> Don't ask me why, but I was always under the impression people who
>> bought and used fresh bean sprouts were using them raw, added to a salad
>> or as a veggie topping on some sort of sandwich. Go figure.
>>
>> Jill

> think stir fry, ramen, soup

Stir fried bean sprouts are barely even warmed in a good stir fry. It's
a shame that they have turned out to be such a risky food to eat raw
because they are so good that way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 19:24:12 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 12:13:24 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>On 2/24/2019 12:01 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 01:16:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>>>
>>> snip

>>> thanks for that. I knew that info was around somewhere
>>>

>>Okay, not that I'd be looking for or buying bean sprouts, but I read the
>>information on the link. Here's the thing I don't understand. To
>>reduce your risk the site recommends:
>>
>>"Cook sprouts thoroughly to reduce the risk of illness. Cooking kills
>>the harmful bacteria."
>>
>>"Request that raw sprouts not be added to your food. If you purchase a
>>sandwich or salad at a restaurant or delicatessen, check to make sure
>>that raw sprouts have not been added."
>>
>>Don't ask me why, but I was always under the impression people who
>>bought and used fresh bean sprouts were using them raw, added to a salad
>>or as a veggie topping on some sort of sandwich. Go figure.
>>
>>Jill

>think stir fry, ramen, soup
>
>==
>
>Yes, I have always added them to sauces, stir fry etc. They would be safe
>then, yes?

yes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Stir fried bean sprouts are barely even warmed in a good stir fry. It's
> a shame that they have turned out to be such a risky food to eat raw
> because they are so good that way.

I think I read or saw on the news that the food fad of micro greens are
all suspect. Lemme check. Yup. Google "micro greens food safety" if
interested. I'm not. Bean sprouts are the original micro greens.
Anybody here eat romaine lettuce?

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 12:13:24 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>On 2/24/2019 12:01 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 01:16:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>>>
>>> snip

>>> thanks for that. I knew that info was around somewhere
>>>

>>Okay, not that I'd be looking for or buying bean sprouts, but I read the
>>information on the link. Here's the thing I don't understand. To
>>reduce your risk the site recommends:
>>
>>"Cook sprouts thoroughly to reduce the risk of illness. Cooking kills
>>the harmful bacteria."
>>
>>"Request that raw sprouts not be added to your food. If you purchase a
>>sandwich or salad at a restaurant or delicatessen, check to make sure
>>that raw sprouts have not been added."
>>
>>Don't ask me why, but I was always under the impression people who
>>bought and used fresh bean sprouts were using them raw, added to a salad
>>or as a veggie topping on some sort of sandwich. Go figure.
>>
>>Jill

>think stir fry, ramen, soup
>
>==
>
>Yes, I have always added them to sauces, stir fry etc. They would be safe
>then, yes?

yes
==

Thanks, that is a relief)