Carol In WI

Default Ideas for bean sprouts...

What has anyone made with bean sprouts. I bought some the other day. Carol
In WI

Katra

In article >,
"Carol In WI" > wrote:

> What has anyone made with bean sprouts. I bought some the other day. Carol
> In WI

Best in Stir fry IMHO, also good in raw in sandwiches and salads.
They also go well in just about any soups, 'specially seafood soups.

Use them quick! They are only good for 3 to 4 days before they spoil.
I've started trying to get canned ones instead of fresh so I have them
on hand more often. ;-)

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Hahabogus

"Carol In WI" > wrote in
:

> What has anyone made with bean sprouts. I bought some the other
> day. Carol In WI

They work well in generic salads, in sandwhiches(instead of the standard
lettuce leaf) and in stir fries.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Type 2 Diabetic
Katra

In article >,
Hahabogus > wrote:

> "Carol In WI" > wrote in
> :
>
> > What has anyone made with bean sprouts. I bought some the other
> > day. Carol In WI
> >

> They work well in generic salads, in sandwhiches(instead of the standard
> lettuce leaf) and in stir fries.

You forgot oriental soups... ;-)

I like to add them to egg drop soup.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

kilikini

Carol In WI wrote:
> What has anyone made with bean sprouts. I bought some the other day.
> Carol In WI

Add to fried rice, stir fry, egg foo yung, chop suey, TONS of possibilities!

kili

Richard Green

I don't like bean sprouts much, but I can tolerate them if they are well
disguised. Soups like laksa or pho do the job. Also they are ok in
vietnamese or chinese style omeletes, or in spring rolls with a nice dipping
sauce.
Richard.
"Carol In WI" > wrote in message
> What has anyone made with bean sprouts. I bought some the other day.
> Carol In WI

Richard Green

"Carol In WI" > wrote in message
> What has anyone made with bean sprouts. I bought some the other day.
> Carol In WI

Jessica V.

Carol In WI wrote:
> What has anyone made with bean sprouts. I bought some the other day. Carol
> In WI

Pad Thai, stir fries, egg rolls, hot & sour soup.

Jessica
Jessica V.

Carol In WI wrote:
> What has anyone made with bean sprouts. I bought some the other day. Carol
> In WI

Pad Thai, stir fries, egg rolls, hot & sour soup.

Jessica
Jack Schidt®

"Carol In WI" > wrote in message
> What has anyone made with bean sprouts. I bought some the other day.
> Carol In WI

Go buy some more cuz the ones you have are compost. After that, try using
them in soups or in salads. They add a nice subtle crunch.

Jack Mung

Dave Smith

Carol In WI wrote:

> What has anyone made with bean sprouts. I bought some the other day.

I use them in stir fry dishes, but usually the day I buy them. They do not keep
well.

Dave Smith

Katra wrote:

> Use them quick! They are only good for 3 to 4 days before they spoil.
> I've started trying to get canned ones instead of fresh so I have them
> on hand more often.

Unless they have improved the canned bean sprouts a lot since I tried them they are
not worth the effort of opening the can. Sprouts don't have a heck of a lot of
flavour. It is more of a texture thing, and the canned sprouts are lacking there.

I tried sprouting my own for a while. There were even special containers to grow them
in, though all you needed was a Tupperware tub and some paper towel. I can probably
throw out the left over mung beans that I have had in my cupboard since the year we
moved here (1977) :-)

Dave Smith

Katra wrote:

> Use them quick! They are only good for 3 to 4 days before they spoil.
> I've started trying to get canned ones instead of fresh so I have them
> on hand more often.

Unless they have improved the canned bean sprouts a lot since I tried them they are
not worth the effort of opening the can. Sprouts don't have a heck of a lot of
flavour. It is more of a texture thing, and the canned sprouts are lacking there.

I tried sprouting my own for a while. There were even special containers to grow them
in, though all you needed was a Tupperware tub and some paper towel. I can probably
throw out the left over mung beans that I have had in my cupboard since the year we
moved here (1977) :-)

Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 09:36:02 -0500, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>Katra wrote:
>
>> Use them quick! They are only good for 3 to 4 days before they spoil.
>> I've started trying to get canned ones instead of fresh so I have them
>> on hand more often.

>Unless they have improved the canned bean sprouts a lot since I tried them they are
>not worth the effort of opening the can. Sprouts don't have a heck of a lot of
>flavour. It is more of a texture thing, and the canned sprouts are lacking there.

It all depends on which of the two textures you're accustomed to. When I
was growing up, we occasionally had a "special" dinner of canned chow mein
with rice and noodles. After picking out the water chestnuts and bamboo
shoots, I just scarfed that stuff up.

My other problem with the fresh ones is that, despite my best intentions
otherwise, I don't always make for dinner what I'd planned on in the
morning. The canned ones give me some leeway. I can't begin to tell you
how many brown, slimy green onions I've thrown away while waiting to make
fried rice.

A mind is a terrible thing to lose, and I can prove it. (Hey, I could use
that as my new sig line!)

Carol

Katra

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Use them quick! They are only good for 3 to 4 days before they spoil.
> > I've started trying to get canned ones instead of fresh so I have them
> > on hand more often.

> Unless they have improved the canned bean sprouts a lot since I tried them
> they are
> not worth the effort of opening the can. Sprouts don't have a heck of a lot
> of
> flavour. It is more of a texture thing, and the canned sprouts are lacking
> there.

Surprisingly, the last can I bought of them were still crispy. :-)
They worked as well as wilted fresh.

> I tried sprouting my own for a while. There were even special containers to
> grow them
> in, though all you needed was a Tupperware tub and some paper towel. I can
> probably
> throw out the left over mung beans that I have had in my cupboard since the
> year we
> moved here (1977) :-)

I've never had much luck making my own sprouts either. ;-P

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Use them quick! They are only good for 3 to 4 days before they spoil.
> > I've started trying to get canned ones instead of fresh so I have them
> > on hand more often.

> Unless they have improved the canned bean sprouts a lot since I tried them
> they are
> not worth the effort of opening the can. Sprouts don't have a heck of a lot
> of
> flavour. It is more of a texture thing, and the canned sprouts are lacking
> there.

Surprisingly, the last can I bought of them were still crispy. :-)
They worked as well as wilted fresh.

> I tried sprouting my own for a while. There were even special containers to
> grow them
> in, though all you needed was a Tupperware tub and some paper towel. I can
> probably
> throw out the left over mung beans that I have had in my cupboard since the
> year we
> moved here (1977) :-)

I've never had much luck making my own sprouts either. ;-P

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

JJ

Dave Smith > wrote:
>I tried sprouting my own for a while. There were even special containers to grow them
>in, though all you needed was a Tupperware tub and some paper towel. I can probably
>throw out the left over mung beans that I have had in my cupboard since the year we
>moved here (1977) :-)

Those old beans just might sprout!

I regularly sprout lentils and mung in 1 quart glass jars.
I'm paying way less than $1/lb for the dried beans in the grocery
section of wallymart, regular grocery store, asian market.
Many of the sprouting mixes are a huge ripoff.

I just put about 1/2 cup of dry beans in the jar and cover with water.

I drain and rinse after about a day or two, using the jar lid to hold
back the beans. I rinse once a day and depending on temp, in a few
days I have sprouts. Don't cap the jar or the sprouts use up all the
oxygen, die and go mushy. I just leave the lid on loose.

Now I only buy soy bean sprouts. I have not had adequate success with
soy - I blame the seeds! :-) I love the meaty crunch of soy
sprouts.

JJ