Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bean sprouts

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:30:35 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 16:22:35 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> >> I know this subject came up before. I thought they were no longer

> available >> for sale. But I noticed some stores selling other types
> of sprouts. Like >> micro-greens.
> >>
> >> I recently bought fresh bean sprouts at Winco and also at Sprouts.

> A new >> Sprouts just opened in Lynnwood. Both were re-packaged.
> >
> > What, did you think they were illegal? And how would you know they
> > wrre "trerpackaged"? dn why should we care about either?
> >
> > They have always been for sale, and will always be for sale. Even
> > on your little planet.
> >
> > -sw

> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
> them at a store we have here.

I believe there was a recent otbreak and a lot of places pulled them
off the shelves for a bit. Locally I could still get them at the
American Asian Grocery but they are all locally grown and not affected
by the recall of the shipped ones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 23:01:12 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:
>
> > On 2/23/2019 10:26 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >
> >> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they

> didn't >> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in
> sprouts some >> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie
> just said she got >> them at a store we have here.
> >
> > * I don't know the package size , but we found that when we bought
> > fresh we usually ended up tossing some because we just don't use
> > that many - kinda like buying a whole head of bok choi for one
> > Oriental dinner . Just looking on eBay , mung beans for sprouting
> > can be had reasonably . Just gotta plan that dinner a few days in
> > advance ...

> When I have more bean spouts than I need I blanch them and make a
> non-fermented kimchi - soy sauce, sesame oil, gochujang, bit of
> sugar and 6 hours and they're good to go and keep 3-4 days.
>
> -sw

Oh yeah! I'm loving that one and have all the stuff here for it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:

> On 2/24/2019 3:10 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> > > Â*I don't know the package size , but we found that when we bought
> > > fresh we usually ended up tossing some because we just don't use
> > > that many - kinda like buying a whole head of bok choi for one
> > > Oriental dinner . Just looking on eBay , mung beans for
> > > sprouting can be had reasonably . Just gotta plan that dinner a
> > > few days in advance ...

> > I used to grow my own sprouts but they're a PITA.

> Â* Well , it wouldn't be a problem for me , I'm home pretty much all
> the time . Just one more "plant" to tend - I've probably got close to
> 40 house plants and garden seedlings going right now . (A lot of
> those house plants will be sold for Mother's day gifts.)

My chives and green onions are coming in already.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 04:32:36 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 11:26:11 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:30:35 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>> >What, did you think they were illegal? And how would you know they
>> >wrre "trerpackaged"? dn why should we care about either?
>> >
>> >They have always been for sale, and will always be for sale. Even
>> >on your little planet.
>> >
>> >-sw

>> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
>> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
>> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
>> them at a store we have here.

>I saw radish sprouts and a couple other kinds at Whole Paycheck the last
>time I was there.
>
>My regular grocery has mung bean sprouts, but they always look like they're
>on their last legs. If I want those, I stop in at the Korean grocery.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

On Lung Guyland I could buy all the bean sprouts I wanted at the
Hispanic market... an eight pound lug of gorgeous mushrooms too. Of
course they carried lots of tropical produce, much of which I had no
idea how to prepare.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2019 1:26 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Terry Coombs"Â* wrote in message ...
> On 2/24/2019 3:10 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Â*I don't know the package size , but we found that when we bought
>>> fresh we usually ended up tossing some because we just don't use
>>> that many - kinda like buying a whole head of bok choi for one
>>> Oriental dinner . Just looking on eBay , mung beans for sprouting
>>> can be had reasonably . Just gotta plan that dinner a few days in
>>> advance ...

>> I used to grow my own sprouts but they're a PITA.

> Â* Well , it wouldn't be a problem for me , I'm home pretty much all
> the time . Just one more "plant" to tend - I've probably got close to
> 40 house plants and garden seedlings going right now . (A lot of those
> house plants will be sold for Mother's day gifts.)
>
> Â*Snag
>
> ==
>
> Brilliant)Â*Â* Lucky you

Â*I did this last year , sold about 35 plants in 2 days . I'll have more
variety this year , though maybe not more plants . I tripled my
"investment" last year , though if you count the hours involved it was
less than peon wages . I just HATE to toss the trimmings from the plants
, so I propagate ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2019 2:30 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:

>>> I used to grow my own sprouts but they're a PITA.

>> Â* Well , it wouldn't be a problem for me , I'm home pretty much all
>> the time . Just one more "plant" to tend - I've probably got close to
>> 40 house plants and garden seedlings going right now . (A lot of
>> those house plants will be sold for Mother's day gifts.)

> My chives and green onions are coming in already.

Â* I'm still harvesting green onions from last summer ... strawberries
are beginning to peek out a bit and the daffydills are getting ready to
bloom . It's about to get really busy around here . Beehives will need
to be split in a couple or three weeks , depending on whats blooming ,
taters go in the ground on St. Paddy's . Our usual last-frost is 15th of
April , I'm going to wait a week or so after to transplant my seedlings
.. I guess you could say I'm and indoor/outdoor gardener .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 01:16:18 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:26:04 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
>>> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
>>> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
>>> them at a store we have here.

>> I wouldn't trust anything the produce people say at your store.
>> they've been here forever. Price fluctuates, but I can always get
>> them (mung bean sprouts) at the major stores except Walmart. I
>> can't get daikon anywhere, but I can still get bean sprouts most
>> places.
>>
>> The grocery stores just need to get reliable suppliers that don't
>> grow the in the portapotty tippings. Telling you they're dangerous
>> is just a copout.

> https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/type...s/sprouts.html

And the reason the seeds are so risky is because of generations of
poor growing practices - such as growing them runoff from cow
pastures and people ****ing and shitting in the fields (a common
practice for Mexican pickers as dictation by the owners of the
fields).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 04:32:36 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 11:26:11 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
>>> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
>>> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
>>> them at a store we have here.

>> I saw radish sprouts and a couple other kinds at Whole Paycheck the last
>> time I was there.
>>
>> My regular grocery has mung bean sprouts, but they always look like they're
>> on their last legs. If I want those, I stop in at the Korean grocery.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> On Lung Guyland I could buy all the bean sprouts I wanted at the
> Hispanic market... an eight pound lug of gorgeous mushrooms too. Of
> course they carried lots of tropical produce, much of which I had no
> idea how to prepare.

No pic Popeye ... Yoose a liar and a faggot.

And yoose can't cook!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:

> On 2/24/2019 2:30 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Terry Coombs wrote:

> >> Â* Well , it wouldn't be a problem for me , I'm home pretty much all
> > > the time . Just one more "plant" to tend - I've probably got
> > > close to 40 house plants and garden seedlings going right now .
> > > (A lot of those house plants will be sold for Mother's day gifts.)

> > My chives and green onions are coming in already.
> >

> Â* I'm still harvesting green onions from last summer ... strawberries
> are beginning to peek out a bit and the daffydills are getting ready
> to bloom . It's about to get really busy around here . Beehives will
> need to be split in a couple or three weeks , depending on whats
> blooming , taters go in the ground on St. Paddy's . Our usual
> last-frost is 15th of April , I'm going to wait a week or so after to
> transplant my seedlings . I guess you could say I'm and
> indoor/outdoor gardener .

Too cold here to harvest from last winter but we have confused plants
over an early spring because the last 3 weeks have been far warmer than
normal for here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-24 3:25 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
>> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
>> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
>> them at a store we have here.

> I believe there was a recent otbreak and a lot of places pulled them
> off the shelves for a bit. Locally I could still get them at the
> American Asian Grocery but they are all locally grown and not affected
> by the recall of the shipped ones.

This was discussed a month or two ago. I don't often buy sprouts so I
had to remember to make a point of looking. One medium size grocery
store had close to a dozen different types of sprouts, but they were all
pre packaged. I have not noticed bulk sprouts in some time, but that
could be because I don't go looking for them. My wife does most of the
grocery shopping these days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> > Stir fried bean sprouts are barely even warmed in a good stir fry.
> > It's a shame that they have turned out to be such a risky food to
> > eat raw because they are so good that way.

> I think I read or saw on the news that the food fad of micro greens
> are all suspect. Lemme check. Yup. Google "micro greens food safety"
> if interested. I'm not. Bean sprouts are the original micro greens.
> Anybody here eat romaine lettuce?
>
> leo

My dog loves it! Before you think that too wierd, she's been on
Tramadol for years (arthritis) and it's a natural constipation reliever
for dogs. Just like grass is. She's an epicure on greens is all ;-)
Reallive loves Endive but I'm a little too cheap to buy it for the
dog....

Warmly wierd, I may start the romaine and baby lettuce containers early
and see how it goes. Worst is I lose a pack of seeds each.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 15:00:06 -0600, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 2/24/2019 1:26 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Terry Coombs"* wrote in message ...

>>> I used to grow my own sprouts but they're a PITA.

>> * Well , it wouldn't be a problem for me , I'm home pretty much all
>> the time . Just one more "plant" to tend - I've probably got close to
>> 40 house plants and garden seedlings going right now . (A lot of those
>> house plants will be sold for Mother's day gifts.)
>>
>> *Snag
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Brilliant)** Lucky you
>>

> *I did this last year , sold about 35 plants in 2 days . I'll have more
>variety this year , though maybe not more plants . I tripled my
>"investment" last year , though if you count the hours involved it was
>less than peon wages . I just HATE to toss the trimmings from the plants
>, so I propagate ...

At one time I sold extra tomato and pepper plants at the spring
neighborhood yard sale. the 'thinnings from initial planting always
get me in trouble. I just can't throw them away. So I nurture them
and then plant them and then end up with too much produce. This year
I think I will offer extra tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, squash, beans
on the neighborhood e-newsletter. Don't need money for them, free to
anyone who wants them.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 14:30:13 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

snip
>My chives and green onions are coming in already.

I would go out and look for my Egyptian Walking Onions if the yard
wasn't so wet and mucky. Maybe next week. I hope so. I love those
first out of the ground plants. They really cheer you up in the
spring.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message

> I had taugé (mung bean sprouts) all my childhood. Rinse, pour hot
> water over, peanut sauce optional, eat.

That would not be my thing. The only savory things I like with peanut butter
are stuffed celery or peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. I can't do warm
peanut butter. For some reason it just comes back up.

My mom always grew sprouts though. Not sure what she did with the bean
sprouts. I know she made them. Maybe she ate them herself? For that matter,
I don't know what she did with the alfalfa sprouts either. They were
commonly used in sandwiches in those days but we never had sandwiches at
home.

When I made sprouts, my favorites were chick pea and radish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 01:16:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> snip
>>
>>https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/type...s/sprouts.html

> thanks for that. I knew that info was around somewhere

There are other links too but I know if I posted those, someone here would
pick them to shreds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/24/2019 12:01 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 01:16:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> snip
>>>
>>> https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/type...s/sprouts.html

>> thanks for that. I knew that info was around somewhere
>>

> Okay, not that I'd be looking for or buying bean sprouts, but I read the
> information on the link. Here's the thing I don't understand. To reduce
> your risk the site recommends:
>
> "Cook sprouts thoroughly to reduce the risk of illness. Cooking kills the
> harmful bacteria."
>
> "Request that raw sprouts not be added to your food. If you purchase a
> sandwich or salad at a restaurant or delicatessen, check to make sure that
> raw sprouts have not been added."
>
> Don't ask me why, but I was always under the impression people who bought
> and used fresh bean sprouts were using them raw, added to a salad or as a
> veggie topping on some sort of sandwich. Go figure.

My gardener requested Pad Thai for dinner. Both he and my friend thought I
could buy it in a packet but I don't usually buy packet things. I do keep
some boxes of mac and cheese and rice mixes but that's about it. I think
scratch cooking tastes so much better.

I got a recipe from my phone because I was out when he made the request.
Recipe called for bean sprouts. I did find a small jar of Pad Thai sauce but
the recipe on it and also the noodles both called for bean sprouts. Fred
Myer had none. So I padded it out with thin strips of celery and carrot.

After that, I found a three pack of made up Pad Thai at Costco. Bought it.
He said mine was much better! But the Costco stuff did not have the sprouts
in it. Didn't read the ingredients but it did look like it had carrots.

Last batch was made with the sprouts. He loved it.

I used to add bean sprouts to almost all of my stir fries and my friend did
the same until they became unavailable here. I don't think I've ever eater
raw bean sprouts. Have only ever had them in stir fries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
> In article >, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> Stir fried bean sprouts are barely even warmed in a good stir fry. It's
>> a shame that they have turned out to be such a risky food to eat raw
>> because they are so good that way.

> I think I read or saw on the news that the food fad of micro greens are
> all suspect. Lemme check. Yup. Google "micro greens food safety" if
> interested. I'm not. Bean sprouts are the original micro greens.
> Anybody here eat romaine lettuce?

I'm back to eating Romaine. Seems every green has been recalled. I'll be
growing my own soon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
> On 2/24/2019 3:10 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I don't know the package size , but we found that when we bought fresh
>>> we usually ended up tossing some because we just don't use that many -
>>> kinda like buying a whole head of bok choi for one Oriental dinner .
>>> Just looking on eBay , mung beans for sprouting can be had reasonably .
>>> Just gotta plan that dinner a few days in advance ...

>> I used to grow my own sprouts but they're a PITA.

> Well , it wouldn't be a problem for me , I'm home pretty much all the
> time . Just one more "plant" to tend - I've probably got close to 40 house
> plants and garden seedlings going right now . (A lot of those house plants
> will be sold for Mother's day gifts.)

It's all the rinsing that got me. I am home most of the time but some kinds
of sprouts need to be rinsed every few hours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
> On 2/24/2019 2:30 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Terry Coombs wrote:

>>> Well , it wouldn't be a problem for me , I'm home pretty much all
>>> the time . Just one more "plant" to tend - I've probably got close to
>>> 40 house plants and garden seedlings going right now . (A lot of
>>> those house plants will be sold for Mother's day gifts.)

>> My chives and green onions are coming in already.
>>

> I'm still harvesting green onions from last summer ... strawberries are
> beginning to peek out a bit and the daffydills are getting ready to bloom
> . It's about to get really busy around here . Beehives will need to be
> split in a couple or three weeks , depending on whats blooming , taters go
> in the ground on St. Paddy's . Our usual last-frost is 15th of April , I'm
> going to wait a week or so after to transplant my seedlings . I guess you
> could say I'm and indoor/outdoor gardener .

I think my strawberries all died. Too much rain then too many dry hot days.
I got very few berries and then the leaves all turned brown. I am thinking
I will pull them out of the pot and replant with cheap flower seeds, unless
my gardener does it for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 15:00:06 -0600, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
>>On 2/24/2019 1:26 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Well , it wouldn't be a problem for me , I'm home pretty much all
>>> the time . Just one more "plant" to tend - I've probably got close to
>>> 40 house plants and garden seedlings going right now . (A lot of those
>>> house plants will be sold for Mother's day gifts.)
>>>
>>> Snag
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Brilliant) Lucky you
>>>

>> I did this last year , sold about 35 plants in 2 days . I'll have more
>>variety this year , though maybe not more plants . I tripled my
>>"investment" last year , though if you count the hours involved it was
>>less than peon wages . I just HATE to toss the trimmings from the plants
>>, so I propagate ...

> At one time I sold extra tomato and pepper plants at the spring
> neighborhood yard sale. the 'thinnings from initial planting always
> get me in trouble. I just can't throw them away. So I nurture them
> and then plant them and then end up with too much produce. This year
> I think I will offer extra tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, squash, beans
> on the neighborhood e-newsletter. Don't need money for them, free to
> anyone who wants them.
> Janet US

We have a Facebook group here called Green Bee. You can offer anything for
free or ask for what you need. There's also a gardening/seed group for such
things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 23:01:12 -0600, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
>>On 2/23/2019 10:26 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
>>> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
>>> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
>>> them at a store we have here.

>> I don't know the package size , but we found that when we bought
>>fresh we usually ended up tossing some because we just don't use that
>>many - kinda like buying a whole head of bok choi for one Oriental
>>dinner . Just looking on eBay , mung beans for sprouting can be had
>>reasonably . Just gotta plan that dinner a few days in advance ...

> Perhaps what you bought isn't as fresh as you think. Bean sprouts and
> bok choi when stir fried cook down to about half, and then when sauced
> cook down even more. It was a very large head of bok choi bought
> recently so I reserved ten inner stalks to add to a tossed salad, and
> that's what I'm eating right now. I've never found that Chinese
> greens go off quickly, a fresh head of bok choi will easily keep well
> for three weeks in the fridge... it's a type of cabbage. Bean sprouts
> go off after a week, but I don't see them for sale any more. I don't
> try to save stir fry veggies, I prepare them all right away. I can
> finish a 4 quart pot of chow mein in two days. However eaten raw in a
> salad they are a lot more filling. I like the white part of bok choi
> as crudites for dipping, cut into sticks it good for dipping in salsa.

I buy baby Bok Choy. It's small and cute!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 01:16:18 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I wouldn't trust anything the produce people say at your store.
>>> they've been here forever. Price fluctuates, but I can always get
>>> them (mung bean sprouts) at the major stores except Walmart. I
>>> can't get daikon anywhere, but I can still get bean sprouts most
>>> places.
>>>
>>> The grocery stores just need to get reliable suppliers that don't
>>> grow the in the portapotty tippings. Telling you they're dangerous
>>> is just a copout.

>> https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/type...s/sprouts.html

> And the reason the seeds are so risky is because of generations of
> poor growing practices - such as growing them runoff from cow
> pastures and people ****ing and shitting in the fields (a common
> practice for Mexican pickers as dictation by the owners of the
> fields).

It's not just Mexicans. When I was 13 I picked cucumbers for one day. I
don't know how people can do that all day long. Back breaking work. And I
saw what they did and didn't do. We had porta potties but no running water.
There was a big water dispenser so you could rinse your hands but there was
no soap and they really didn't allow us enough time to use the pottie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 19:36:17 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

snip...

>> At one time I sold extra tomato and pepper plants at the spring
>> neighborhood yard sale. the 'thinnings from initial planting always
>> get me in trouble. I just can't throw them away. So I nurture them
>> and then plant them and then end up with too much produce. This year
>> I think I will offer extra tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, squash, beans
>> on the neighborhood e-newsletter. Don't need money for them, free to
>> anyone who wants them.
>> Janet US

>We have a Facebook group here called Green Bee. You can offer anything for
>free or ask for what you need. There's also a gardening/seed group for such
>things.

good idea

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

On 2/24/2019 1:26 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...
> On 2/24/2019 3:10 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I don't know the package size , but we found that when we bought
>>> fresh we usually ended up tossing some because we just don't use
>>> that many - kinda like buying a whole head of bok choi for one
>>> Oriental dinner . Just looking on eBay , mung beans for sprouting
>>> can be had reasonably . Just gotta plan that dinner a few days in
>>> advance ...

>> I used to grow my own sprouts but they're a PITA.

> Well , it wouldn't be a problem for me , I'm home pretty much all
> the time . Just one more "plant" to tend - I've probably got close to
> 40 house plants and garden seedlings going right now . (A lot of those
> house plants will be sold for Mother's day gifts.)
>
> Snag
>
> ==
>
> Brilliant) Lucky you

I did this last year , sold about 35 plants in 2 days . I'll have more
variety this year , though maybe not more plants . I tripled my
"investment" last year , though if you count the hours involved it was
less than peon wages . I just HATE to toss the trimmings from the plants
, so I propagate ...

Snag

==

That you enjoy it is worth a lot more than the pennies you got, eh?)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

On 2/24/2019 2:30 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:

>>> I used to grow my own sprouts but they're a PITA.

>> Well , it wouldn't be a problem for me , I'm home pretty much all
>> the time . Just one more "plant" to tend - I've probably got close to
>> 40 house plants and garden seedlings going right now . (A lot of
>> those house plants will be sold for Mother's day gifts.)

> My chives and green onions are coming in already.

I'm still harvesting green onions from last summer ... strawberries
are beginning to peek out a bit and the daffydills are getting ready to
bloom . It's about to get really busy around here . Beehives will need
to be split in a couple or three weeks , depending on whats blooming ,
taters go in the ground on St. Paddy's . Our usual last-frost is 15th of
April , I'm going to wait a week or so after to transplant my seedlings
.. I guess you could say I'm and indoor/outdoor gardener .

--

Heh our plum tree is in full bloom ????

The weather is so weird.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> > Stir fried bean sprouts are barely even warmed in a good stir fry.
> > It's a shame that they have turned out to be such a risky food to
> > eat raw because they are so good that way.

> I think I read or saw on the news that the food fad of micro greens
> are all suspect. Lemme check. Yup. Google "micro greens food safety"
> if interested. I'm not. Bean sprouts are the original micro greens.
> Anybody here eat romaine lettuce?
>
> leo

My dog loves it! Before you think that too wierd, she's been on
Tramadol for years (arthritis) and it's a natural constipation reliever
for dogs. Just like grass is. She's an epicure on greens is all ;-)
Reallive loves Endive but I'm a little too cheap to buy it for the
dog....

Warmly wierd, I may start the romaine and baby lettuce containers early
and see how it goes. Worst is I lose a pack of seeds each.
==

It feels really odd when you say that about your dog) I have been on
Tramadol for arthritis for years too LOL

Kindred spirits eh)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 23:01:12 -0600, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
>>On 2/23/2019 10:26 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> I tried recently to buy sprouts. I was told at Albertsons they didn't
>>> carry them anymore because of cases of food poisoning in sprouts some
>>> years ago. I gave up looking in my city but Julie just said she got
>>> them at a store we have here.

>> I don't know the package size , but we found that when we bought
>>fresh we usually ended up tossing some because we just don't use that
>>many - kinda like buying a whole head of bok choi for one Oriental
>>dinner . Just looking on eBay , mung beans for sprouting can be had
>>reasonably . Just gotta plan that dinner a few days in advance ...

> Perhaps what you bought isn't as fresh as you think. Bean sprouts and
> bok choi when stir fried cook down to about half, and then when sauced
> cook down even more. It was a very large head of bok choi bought
> recently so I reserved ten inner stalks to add to a tossed salad, and
> that's what I'm eating right now. I've never found that Chinese
> greens go off quickly, a fresh head of bok choi will easily keep well
> for three weeks in the fridge... it's a type of cabbage. Bean sprouts
> go off after a week, but I don't see them for sale any more. I don't
> try to save stir fry veggies, I prepare them all right away. I can
> finish a 4 quart pot of chow mein in two days. However eaten raw in a
> salad they are a lot more filling. I like the white part of bok choi
> as crudites for dipping, cut into sticks it good for dipping in salsa.

I buy baby Bok Choy. It's small and cute!

---

I buy Pak Choy I believe it is the same/similar plant but mine are small
too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Don't ask me why, but I was always under the impression people who
> bought and used fresh bean sprouts were using them raw, added to a salad
> or as a veggie topping on some sort of sandwich. Go figure.

Way back when I was married, we made them often for a good while.
Mostly to add to salads. Occasional sandwiches but we never
cooked them.

We never had a problem with them. I remember only about half the
making details. Made in a Ball canning pint jar, cover with one
layer of cheesecloth and hold that on with the jar ring. Once
watered and drained, store in bottom cabinet shelf laying
sideways. We did take out and water then drain often.

that said, I do forget many relevant parts of the process..

- what kinds of bean we used (maybe tried different ones)
- when first put in jar, maybe soak for some hours first?
- how often did we change the water
- how long it took until good to eat

Basically, I remember almost nothing! heheh
I'm going to email the X and ask her. I'm sure she knows. It was
her idea in the first place and she probably still makes them.

Never a food poisoning issue if you make them yourself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote:
> I buy baby Bok Choy. It's small and cute!
>
> ---
>
> I buy Pak Choy I believe it is the same/similar plant but mine are small
> too.

Probably is the same exact plant. Just another example of how the
Brits always spell things oddly then the upstart Americans fix
it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote:
> I buy baby Bok Choy. It's small and cute!
>
> ---
>
> I buy Pak Choy I believe it is the same/similar plant but mine are
> small
> too.

Probably is the same exact plant. Just another example of how the
Brits always spell things oddly then the upstart Americans fix
it.

==

*THWAP* ;p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 10:16:04 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 23:01:12 -0600, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

>>> I don't know the package size , but we found that when we bought
>>>fresh we usually ended up tossing some because we just don't use that
>>>many - kinda like buying a whole head of bok choi for one Oriental
>>>dinner . Just looking on eBay , mung beans for sprouting can be had
>>>reasonably . Just gotta plan that dinner a few days in advance ...

>> Perhaps what you bought isn't as fresh as you think. Bean sprouts and
>> bok choi when stir fried cook down to about half, and then when sauced
>> cook down even more. It was a very large head of bok choi bought
>> recently so I reserved ten inner stalks to add to a tossed salad, and
>> that's what I'm eating right now. I've never found that Chinese
>> greens go off quickly, a fresh head of bok choi will easily keep well
>> for three weeks in the fridge... it's a type of cabbage. Bean sprouts
>> go off after a week, but I don't see them for sale any more. I don't
>> try to save stir fry veggies, I prepare them all right away. I can
>> finish a 4 quart pot of chow mein in two days. However eaten raw in a
>> salad they are a lot more filling. I like the white part of bok choi
>> as crudites for dipping, cut into sticks it good for dipping in salsa.

>I buy baby Bok Choy. It's small and cute!
>
>---
>
>I buy Pak Choy I believe it is the same/similar plant but mine are small
>too.

All the same plant with different spellings... because it's a
transliteration from the Chinese pronounciation(s)... Chinese doesn't
have an alphabet per se.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_alphabet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 23:01:12 -0600, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

>>> I don't know the package size , but we found that when we bought
>>>fresh we usually ended up tossing some because we just don't use that
>>>many - kinda like buying a whole head of bok choi for one Oriental
>>>dinner . Just looking on eBay , mung beans for sprouting can be had
>>>reasonably . Just gotta plan that dinner a few days in advance ...

>> Perhaps what you bought isn't as fresh as you think. Bean sprouts and
>> bok choi when stir fried cook down to about half, and then when sauced
>> cook down even more. It was a very large head of bok choi bought
>> recently so I reserved ten inner stalks to add to a tossed salad, and
>> that's what I'm eating right now. I've never found that Chinese
>> greens go off quickly, a fresh head of bok choi will easily keep well
>> for three weeks in the fridge... it's a type of cabbage. Bean sprouts
>> go off after a week, but I don't see them for sale any more. I don't
>> try to save stir fry veggies, I prepare them all right away. I can
>> finish a 4 quart pot of chow mein in two days. However eaten raw in a
>> salad they are a lot more filling. I like the white part of bok choi
>> as crudites for dipping, cut into sticks it good for dipping in salsa.

>I buy baby Bok Choy. It's small and cute!
>
>---
>
>I buy Pak Choy I believe it is the same/similar plant but mine are small
>too.

All the same plant with different spellings... because it's a
transliteration from the Chinese pronounciation(s)... Chinese doesn't
have an alphabet per se.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_alphabet

===

Ok thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>
> > In article >, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Stir fried bean sprouts are barely even warmed in a good stir fry.
> >> It's a shame that they have turned out to be such a risky food to
> >> eat raw because they are so good that way.

> > I think I read or saw on the news that the food fad of micro greens
> > are all suspect. Lemme check. Yup. Google "micro greens food safety"
> > if interested. I'm not. Bean sprouts are the original micro greens.
> > Anybody here eat romaine lettuce?
> >
> > leo

> My dog loves it! Before you think that too wierd, she's been on
> Tramadol for years (arthritis) and it's a natural constipation
> reliever for dogs. Just like grass is. She's an epicure on greens
> is all ;-) Reallive loves Endive but I'm a little too cheap to buy it
> for the dog....
>
> Warmly wierd, I may start the romaine and baby lettuce containers
> early and see how it goes. Worst is I lose a pack of seeds each.
> ==
>
> It feels really odd when you say that about your dog) I have been
> on Tramadol for arthritis for years too LOL
>
> Kindred spirits eh)

Hehe yup! BTW the leafy greens don't fix constipation for humans (far
as I know). Dogs were not built to eat greens much so for them, it is
an adjustment. They seem to know exactly how much they need and eat
just that.

Iowna is giving me the stink eye as her bowl has regular iceburg today.
She picked every leaf out and put it beside her bowl looking for 'the
good stuff' then put it all back, gave me a stink eye, and munched some
iceburg....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Don't ask me why, but I was always under the impression people who
>> bought and used fresh bean sprouts were using them raw, added to a salad
>> or as a veggie topping on some sort of sandwich. Go figure.

> Way back when I was married, we made them often for a good while.
> Mostly to add to salads. Occasional sandwiches but we never
> cooked them.
>
> We never had a problem with them. I remember only about half the
> making details. Made in a Ball canning pint jar, cover with one
> layer of cheesecloth and hold that on with the jar ring. Once
> watered and drained, store in bottom cabinet shelf laying
> sideways. We did take out and water then drain often.
>

> that said, I do forget many relevant parts of the process..
>
> - what kinds of bean we used (maybe tried different ones)
> - when first put in jar, maybe soak for some hours first?
> - how often did we change the water
> - how long it took until good to eat
>
> Basically, I remember almost nothing! heheh
> I'm going to email the X and ask her. I'm sure she knows. It was
> her idea in the first place and she probably still makes them.
>
> Never a food poisoning issue if you make them yourself.

It actually can be, even if you're careful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>
> > In article >, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Stir fried bean sprouts are barely even warmed in a good stir fry.
> >> It's a shame that they have turned out to be such a risky food to
> >> eat raw because they are so good that way.

> > I think I read or saw on the news that the food fad of micro greens
> > are all suspect. Lemme check. Yup. Google "micro greens food safety"
> > if interested. I'm not. Bean sprouts are the original micro greens.
> > Anybody here eat romaine lettuce?
> >
> > leo

> My dog loves it! Before you think that too wierd, she's been on
> Tramadol for years (arthritis) and it's a natural constipation
> reliever for dogs. Just like grass is. She's an epicure on greens
> is all ;-) Reallive loves Endive but I'm a little too cheap to buy it
> for the dog....
>
> Warmly wierd, I may start the romaine and baby lettuce containers
> early and see how it goes. Worst is I lose a pack of seeds each.
> ==
>
> It feels really odd when you say that about your dog) I have been
> on Tramadol for arthritis for years too LOL
>
> Kindred spirits eh)

Hehe yup! BTW the leafy greens don't fix constipation for humans (far
as I know). Dogs were not built to eat greens much so for them, it is
an adjustment. They seem to know exactly how much they need and eat
just that.

Iowna is giving me the stink eye as her bowl has regular iceburg today.
She picked every leaf out and put it beside her bowl looking for 'the
good stuff' then put it all back, gave me a stink eye, and munched some
iceburg....

==

LOLOL Awww Bless her)

No, I wouldn't expect lettuce to help humans

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:48:03 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> > > I think I read or saw on the news that the food fad of micro greens
> > > are all suspect. Lemme check. Yup. Google "micro greens food safety"
> > > if interested. I'm not. Bean sprouts are the original micro greens.
> > > Anybody here eat romaine lettuce?
> > >
> > > leo

> > My dog loves it! Before you think that too wierd, she's been on
> > Tramadol for years (arthritis) and it's a natural constipation
> > reliever for dogs. Just like grass is. She's an epicure on greens
> > is all ;-) Reallive loves Endive but I'm a little too cheap to buy it
> > for the dog....
> >
> > Warmly wierd, I may start the romaine and baby lettuce containers
> > early and see how it goes. Worst is I lose a pack of seeds each.
> > ==
> >
> > It feels really odd when you say that about your dog) I have been
> > on Tramadol for arthritis for years too LOL
> >
> > Kindred spirits eh)

> Hehe yup! BTW the leafy greens don't fix constipation for humans (far
> as I know).

Perhaps not, but they can help prevent it. My working hypothesis is that
residual microbes on the lettuce keeps the gut flora in balance. We
evolved eating raw leaves (among other things). I'm happy to cooperate
with evolution.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> > Never a food poisoning issue if you make them yourself.

> It actually can be, even if you're careful.

Well, I read your govt. link but I suspect they are just trying
to protect people that don't keep up with the careful prep. We
made them for a few years on a regular basis and added them raw
to salads. Never a problem. Oh well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2019 5:22 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> I know this subject came up before. I thought they were no longer
> available for sale. But I noticed some stores selling other types of
> sprouts. Like micro-greens.

I have no idea what yer talking about, but I've tried (unsuccessfully, I
might add) to grow mung bean sprouts in a both pint and quart "wide
mouth" jars (sprouting jars). I usta jes buy mung or soy sprouts at a
distant Asian mrkt, when I still lived in the SFBA.

I think "micro-greens" are merely different types of sprout seeds.

https://tinyurl.com/y59he6yd

nb